Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Trip Computer Changing Readouts On Its Own

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Creek_IP 
#1 ·
My trip computer seems to be changing readouts on its own a lot lately. By that, I mean that I usually leave the readout on Trip A, which I reset with every gas fillup. I've noticed in the past few weeks that when I start the bike, it sometimes shows the odometer, instead; I could've sworn that it stays on the same function you left it on, when you shut down the bike and then re-start it.

I went for a short ride today, and it seemed to be changing the readout about every mile, or less, sort of cycling through the various values on its own. What was different today, BTW, is that it was 47 degrees out, and I had the seat, grips, and my heated liner on ("medium" heat). That's a lot of current draw, so I wondered whether that contributes to anything. (Nope, I haven't checked my battery terminals for tightness since maybe April, at which time I applied the official torque to them, after adding some farkles.) OTOH, I plugged in my Battery Tender Jr. when I got home, and it was "green" immediately (which means that the battery wasn't low, which in turn means, I believe, that it wasn't being drained, as a result of insufficient alternator output or because it wasn't connected well).

This may be an issue for the dealer come next spring. In the meantime, has anyone else noticed the trip computer's cycling through its different readings, more or less on a whim?

See less See more
#2 ·
Your clutch lever is touching the cycle button on the handle bar. Loosen the two screws that hold the clutch assembly in place, and rotate it downwards until the clutch lever no longer lands on the button. ;)

#3 ·
One other thing I forgot to mention: I went for a long ride - probably last nice day of the year around here - on Monday. Monday evening, I decided that I'd like the clutch lever higher, so I loosened the bolts and swung it up a tad, i.e., as high as it would go, as I then encountered some resistance (maybe ran out of slack, vs. a cable tie, or something).

Of course, I didn't think about that change at all, as I was sure this was an electrical/electronic issue. Just got back from dinner, read this, and went out to the garage, and squeezed the clutch, while looking at the display-change switch. I must say: whoa, that's a dumb design of the switch position, or the curvature of the lever, or both.

Thanks much, CR! I'm not sure whether I'll just live with it, or put the lever back where it was. But you're right on the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.