Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

2nd post and mod question

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  BBob 
#1 ·
Hello all needed to post 2nd thread here so I could post else where.

So while here, have been looking at exhaust mods etc, defiantly want to upgrade from Stage 1 pipes (some will think no need) as in Oz all bought options and even professional modification are expensive so looking at short term solution.
I have read many posts that involve drilling and welding etc, and the second part is beyond me, also leaves me with no back up mufflers if I bugger it up, so kept looking.
I found a video on YouTube from Vision Riders that showed a straight bolted on thrush/cherry bomb glass pack muffler with resonator tip attached, no drilling, welding etc. Also if not right for any reason then other muffler still fully intact to re attach. Bonus is it will cost less than the shipping on any bought option.

So what is the catch and why has no body else done it?????

If it sounds to good to be true it usually is!

So is it???????

Thanx for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
What year and model bike you got and your saying you already have a stage 1 or your running stock? If you are referring to drilling the vison pipe out I can walk you through it cost about 15 bucks for a good 1/2" drill bit.

As for the cherry bomb, basicall your rigging a glass pack in place of your current muffler. I have level 1s on my TC aLmost the same thing and I am glad I did the drill method on my Vision, just enough rumble to let that Vtwin breath yet not too loud.

#3 ·
Thanx Tims,

OK I have a 2010 Cross Roads with stage 1 muffler and remap and highflow filter, traded in High Ball, XR has 20,000 KMs and the stage 1 kit came with it. i love the bike, I have done 2,000 kms in 2 weeks and have not been anywhere but ride it to work and anywhere else i can. I want to put some gr8 mufflers on but it is too expensive so really want to deepen the tone and give me that beautiful rumble I get at 3000rpm and above especially up hills at lower revs. I want to drown out the higher pitch engine noise and hear the rumble. In another 6mths or so will spring for a proper exhaust or muffler but want to take my time and get the right one, so until then want to give it a cheap tweek to stop me from panic buying the first used set that I can get my hands on. I do like loud pipes and loved the HighBall with it slip ons. I had a 2010 Bonneville with British Customs pipes before and both these bikes gave such a thrill to hear that steel burbelling away.

Do you feel that the drill method will give same result as Cherry Bombs???

Whats your thought on chopping outlet pipe down and letting Exhaust tip act as resonator??

So many questions for a newbie I know.

Thanx for your patience

#4 ·
I cut a couple of inches off the end pipes of my Stage 1 muffs. Increased the volume and gave it a cooler sound when backing off the throttle. A bit like a bit truck applying the Jake brake. I'm using the stock exhaust tips which act like a resonator.

You might try cutting 1 inch off and see if that does it for you and if not; cut another inch or more off.

#5 ·
Ah, the XR now... Great looking bike and congrats on your new purchase. I thought you might have a Vision since you commented on it. The VV has a different muffler stock which is easily modded to get that sound your looking for until you can upgrade the exhausts. Follow BBob on this one. I am not familiar with that muffler and couldnt tell you how to mod it. Does it have the plug in the center that can be cut out with a hole saw? Looking in the muffler from the crossover tube end, can you see through it?

Im just going to have to follow this thread to learn myself.. hehe Like I said, I got Level 1's on my TC and it sounds just like what your wanting so the glass pac's / cherry bomb may be the quick way to go. Not for sure what that will do to your mapping.

Good luck on the mod, if you get a chance update your signature line so everyone knows what kinda of bike you got. Oh and that your and Aussie.. hehehe I've chatted with a lot of folks from your neck of the woods!

Safe riding bud

#6 ·
Tim; the X bike Stage 1 mufflers are already a straight through design. I'm pretty sure they are heavily packed with sound deadening material to make them as quiet as they are for the EPA or whatever sound limits the factory has. Short of cutting them open and removing the packing or recoring them completely; cutting the end pipe down is about all I've heard of that works. Plus; it's something anyone can do with a hacksaw although a power cut-off grinder makes it even easier.

#7 ·
Thanks BBob, sounds just like what I have on the TC. I can't see getting any louder either without upgrading to D&Ds or the like..
to the OP, what filter do you have installed, SS or LLoydz?? I know when I bought my TC the owner said high flow but it was a K&N replacement for the stock filter which made a difference but was not a Ness Big Sucker. The stock intake was still in place, once removed the bike did get louder listening to that Vtwin GULD the air down.. hehe. Is that the same on the XC series?

#8 ·
Oh definitely. Gotta have that air going in to get the sound and performance coming out. :)

I have a cut down early Vegas K&N in my XC right now and it does a much better job than the stock one. I did take advantage of the HotVic sale going on right now and ordered up one of Lloydz new air filters though. It was my Christmas present to the XC. The KP is getting some Cycleops bling. :D

#10 ·
Well Tim and BBob you guys Rock my Mufflers,

I got up this morning and went str8 to computer to see what replys I had on this question, and low and behold, there your answers were!
Sounded so easy I went str8 down stairs and grabbed a hack saw and chopped away.

And OH Hell Yes!!** I chopped about1 1/2 inch off both reattached heat guard tip and rode all day with the cheekiest grin on my face, "if its free its for me and i'll have three!"

Sounds great, low and deep, loves 2,000rpm + and the decleration is fantastic, like was said " atruck under exhaust brakes" I love it. THANK YOU Gentlemen!!!!!

So just for info, if you cut more off does it get louder????

Quest # 2. I have read about some strip on the airfilter assembly. I do have a stage 1 hi flow air filter apparently, so is this cheap mod applicable to me or not?? if so can someone please explain HOW and WHAT it will do pls.

Quest # 3, I have also read about disconnect of O2 sensor at the wire connector, I have found these , a little tucked away and fiddly but found them, so should i disconnect, What benefit would it give me, and Where do you stash the ends afterwards??

I think that is all my questions at the moment but am very new to all this and to be honest have always got someone else to do the work, but enjoying having a go and so far results are vastly exceeding my humble expectations.

Again thank you to my new friends and Mentors.

#11 · (Edited)
So just for info, if you cut more off does it get louder????

Quest # 2. I have read about some strip on the airfilter assembly. I do have a stage 1 hi flow air filter apparently, so is this cheap mod applicable to me or not?? if so can someone please explain HOW and WHAT it will do pls.

Quest # 3, I have also read about disconnect of O2 sensor at the wire connector, I have found these , a little tucked away and fiddly but found them, so should i disconnect, What benefit would it give me, and Where do you stash the ends afterwards??

I think that is all my questions at the moment but am very new to all this and to be honest have always got someone else to do the work, but enjoying having a go and so far results are vastly exceeding my humble expectations.

Again thank you to my new friends and Mentors.
You are quite welcome. I learned it from someone else and you will probably get a chance to pass what you have learned on to someone else at some point.

I can't say for sure if you cut more off it will get louder but I think it will. I did not do it the way I said. I just cut about 2-3 inches off right from the start. I wish I had just cut an inch or 1.5 inches to start with so I would have something to compare it to. I'd leave it the way it is for a while so you can decide whether you would like it louder.

Yes. There is a sound strip that looks like window gasket for a house right along the front under the tank. You can pull the tank completely and you will see it just pulls out or you can take out the two bolts and ground strap bolt and lift it up bit to see if you can reach in through the front and pull it. Be very careful about not putting any weight on the gas nipple under the back of the tank. It breaks very easily and replacement is expensive.

You might be able to reach under the front to see if you can feel a soft rubber thing. If so; it's still in there. Otherwise someone pulled it when putting in the air filter. Removing it will definitely gain you horsepower.

If you have the Stage 1 flash and it runs good; I would leave it alone and not disconnect the 02 sensors except for maybe during the hottest part of the Summer if you feel like the engine is getting too hot. Just tuck the wires out of the way the best you can or maybe use a zip tie to hold it out of sight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.