Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

TPS Reset? Why and How

60K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  MikeyV 
#1 ·
I am curious as to why and how you reset the throttle position ?
How would this effect throttle response?
How do you know when you need to reset it?
I recently made changes to my intake and exhaust, but did not consider a tps reset....do I need to?
Bike runs good...some snarl and backfire on decel, but nothing bad...
does it make sense to reset?

#2 ·
TPS adjustment sets the strat point in the map that your bike works from. By establishing mixture at idle; you effect the mixture throughout the range. TPS adjustment can only be done by a dealer wirth the digital wrench program on post 01 bikes. Done right it can pretty much eliminate popping, and other drivability issues

#6 ·
I found this info on how to do a manual TPS reset:

Key on, switch on, engine off
Slow 5 count rotate throttle from closed to wide open
Hold throttle wide open for slow 5 count
Let throttle SNAP shut/closed
Cycle kill switch (off then on)
Start bike, and enjoy the ride

Do this at your own risk (if any) cheers

#7 ·
This does not reset your TPS. What it does is re-establish your base throttle points. So the ECM knows where idle, and wide open throttle are in the whole scheme of things. It will only help, or change anything if for some reason your bike looses it's little mind.

#8 ·
Should I try this after recalibrating for new intake and exhaust?
I am getting popping and backfiring on decel, but not sure if that is to be expected due to the new pipes. Also, there seems to be a good amount of play at the beginning of the throttle, like I have to turn a good amount (maybe 1/8th of a turn of the throttle) before the engine responds to the throttle.
??

#10 ·
thanks toejam and Kevin
Took care of this yesterday.
Slight adjustment to cable and TPS reset as above....works much better!
Less play at the beginning of the throttle makes for more control, especially
at lower speeds. Took the bike for a nice test ride....loved it!

#11 · (Edited)
TPS adjustment

That process with the 5 slow count ,key off adjustment works GREAT.I have had about 3 TPS adjustments at the local Dealer(Arlen who?) and this the only thing that has worked.I have a 2000 V92.I seem to have to do it every time I start the bike though.There is another ,supposedly,more permanent adj:

On the Diagnostic plug under the right side cove,connect a jumper wire from pin B to pin E

aBc
dE
Make sure fast idle is OFF-throttle plates must be closed.Install jumper,turn key on for 60 seconds,then off(DO NOT START)Resets the baselie readings to the ECM

#12 ·
I got curious after reading this post and read the 2008 Jackpot service manual looking for TPS adjustment values.
On page 5.38, bottom of the page it specifically says that the TPS does not require adjustment in the closed loop system therefore there is no available option in the digital wrench to perform TPS adjustment.
So it sounds to me that even the Vic service shops don't have any ways of adjusting the TPS. !?!?

Is that right Kevin?

As a side note, I also run a 2009 Polaris Dragon and the TPS is fully adjustable on these engines, all you need is a 5V regulator for power source and a digital voltmeter, idle is .97V and wot is 5.0V

#15 ·
TPS Reset

As I stated in my earlier post,I tried the 5 second count method and it worked pretty good.I just finished trying the 2 pin jumper wire method and I think that all I managed to do was wipe out the brain.It started right up and idled great,but then I turned it off and all I get is a click(like a dead battery).I went back and tried the 5 second count and still nothing.I am charging the battery and then will disconnect the battery to see if that will reset the computer(That has worked before).Tempermental damn bike,ain't it?

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
TPS adjustment

Ok, here's the deal.The dynamic adjustment(Pin Jumper method)DOES work.But you MUST ensure that your battery is not weak.That is what happened to me(see post above).I also received clarifiacation on another site (edited by Mod per form rules) on how to PROPERLY do it.The engine MUST be warmed up and a few different things need to be done.I am putting a new battery on payday(next week,unfortunately) and then will post the proper procedure on here after a day or so to make sure that it takes.Sorry for all the confusion.This seems to be a fairly common problem.Wonder why Victory can't come up with a fix?

#17 ·
TPS Reset

Ok Guys and Gals,
Put the new battery in,did the dynamic restet(pin jumper) and it runs GREAT!!!!!!!!.Had to do a little fooling around with the idle agjustment but if I set the idle at 1100rpms,it almost never takes more than a few minutes to warm up and runs great.No flat spot in the throttle,no hesitation,nothing but pure,smooth power.It's like riding a new bike.cheers

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
It has screws on it. loosen them, then check the voltage as specified in an oem service manual.if you dont have the screw on it. you might have mixed wires up or maybe even swaped the tps for the map plug..!!

Scooters
HUH?? Adjustment is not done right at the TPS like on some cars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.