Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

A tale of Bullets, Big discs and more Rumble...

6K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  maksitfaster 
#1 ·
Cheers from Toronto everybody, I thought I'd post up my Hammer finally and show some of the tweaks I've been working on. Here she is the day we met....

I've enjoyed her from the first time I twisted the throttle... Spent a season enjoying the relaxed vibes and feel of a big inch
factory "custom". Even almost bone stock I have people talking and asking questions at stop lights. Not a lot of these bikes around up here. So after most of a season doing this...

I've picked out a few key changes that needed to happen... Stay tuned...

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking Hammer, did you strap that bag on the rear fender?

I made a luggage rack myself, works great

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#3 ·
The bag is mostly sitting on the back seat. A bit on the fender admittedly. Some rub marks on the paint behind the seat for sure, but nothing that didn't buff out. My solution for this year is clear wrap film. It gets messed up peel it off and put a new piece on. I agree a rack would solve the issue but I like how low and tight the bag sits now.

#6 · (Edited)
The 2 things i use, the small one is for everyday use, and the stainless rack is for the big bag, very comfortable for your back, that is true

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#4 ·
So I had put a little windshield on to take the pressure off on those long highway stints. Just a little spitfire but it worked pretty well and looked alright...

Not exactly what I wanted but it did the trick. Then I found this in the classifieds...

Eureka! A change to a 7" round light allowed me to go to an led headlight and some led driving lights too..

Now we're talkin... I got the freakin Bat signal on the front of my bike!
So now the front is starting to look like a drag bike to match that fat back tire.. Big Discs next...

#9 ·
I use a stock seat...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#11 ·
And last but not least, everyone's favourite topic.... Dyno tuning... In a happy turn of events, I was able to offer
my services to Dynojet to help with beta testing the Power Vision CX flash tuning tool...

I'll post up some graphs as soon as I pull em off the dyno computer but just doing some wot tuning gained about 6hp...

#13 ·
Hi hi, good one makeitfaster, nah mate I think the seats are all the same, even on my CCT i get numbnuts syndrome...

That airhawk must be really good hey?

I like your diskbeaks ... Very cool, I just bought the 2016 front forks of the hammer, (I had a small accident so my tube got bent) and was wondering about ceramic disks and the Lyndall brake pads

Now I run Lyndall brake pads on the stock single disk ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#14 ·
The airhawk is great. I sat on it for a 1200km day, approximately 14 hr day on the last day of a 7000kms road trip. Zero discomfort. I went riding the next day. It takes a minute to get the air pressure adjusted how you want it but after that it's golden. Lets some airflow through as well.

Those are 320 mm discs I put on. I want this thing to STOP if I want it to... Don't know much about the carbon ceramic rotors, other than they're light and spendy... I know a couple of guys who had them on some pretty serious sportsbikes but that was a case of more money than..... well whatever... I'd probably do it too if I had that cash burning a hole in my pocket. The one guy probably had as much in his brake setup as I had in my whole bike.

#15 · (Edited)
#25 · (Edited)
Reactions: BP6666VR
#30 ·
Now I see yours, mine are same size but different design. Same pads used but with the caliper adapter hardware. Works good, more sustained stopping from higher speeds with the extra weight 2up, which is what I wanted.
I do like the pattern of yours

#33 · (Edited)
For anyone interested Here is before tuning... This is with the air filter pulled and modded Vic 2-1.

And after....

Still have some work to do. She's still too rich and haven't gotten into individual cylinder tuning. So probly a couple more hiding in there...
I don't have the first pull but pulling the stock air filter was worth 5-6 hp.

#34 ·
For anyone interested Here is before tuning... This is with the air filter pulled and modded Vic 2-1.

And after....

Still have some work to do. She's still too rich and haven't gotten into individual cylinder tuning. So probly a couple more hiding in there...
I don't have the first pull but pulling the stock air filter was worth 5-6 hp.
can't see nothing. what makes you think rich

#39 ·
Unfortunately, no. I was in Kindergarten in their heyday and by the time I found out who they were they weren't coming up here much. Even when they did it was smaller venues without a lot of promotion so unless you were keeping tabs you wouldn't know until they'd gone...

#40 · (Edited)
Their heyday lasted 40 years from 1975 on though I was heavily into Hawkwind before that, Lemmy played bass for them as you know.
So you've still got your hearing I take it :wink
Where's "up here", don't think you said where you are?
Good idea to fill out your signature and rough location once you work out how to do it, makes it easier for people to help when they know exactly what you're riding and what's done to it.
I actually got thrown out of that gig at the now defunct Jet Club, after Lemmy let me in, finished that beer he gave me, I had an unquenchable thirst back then, well all my life really:devil
Looked over the top if the speaker stack and got instant eye contact with one of the bouncers who wouldn't let me in!
Man, he just headed for me, grabbed me and ejected me from the club in a fairly rough manner, he was not amused!....neither was I!
I still got to hear them, through 8 inches of concrete, in the short alley out the back, they were that loud I could still hear under those conditions.
Then began my return hitch hiking 100 miles back home, that is another epic adventure!

Over the years I had other chances when they came to Australia, though like you say, promotion wasn't their strongpoint and unless you knew they were coming and followed the tour then you'd miss out.
I tried again years later at the now torn down Playroom, a local dive here, you could say I wasn't popular with the doormen and bouncers there too, had a few run ins with them over the years.
When you party at the scale I used to, well it happened a fair bit, winding up in police lock ups. And hospitals or waking up in someone's flower garden.
Woke up in a coffin once, but that's another story.
The Playroom gig I managed to get into, I did some internet research last month when I was very crook with the rotten cold that was going around here. I was outta action for weeks, so yeah I started retracing some of my life's "adventures" via the internet,
So long story short that gig in 1991 turned into a riot after fuckwits who thought heavy rock bands liked being pelted by full cans of beer!
Motorhead left the stage after 3 songs and the riot ensued!
We were lucky to get out alive it was madness. Thousands of people, well more likely hundreds but it felt like thousands trying to get out but the club shut the doors, wouldn't let anyone out! And the crush of people was dangerous! I was protecting my woman of the time, who incidentally I put through 16 years of wild life with me till she finally left me for good in around '96.:frown

So yet again I didn't get to see em, well not for long!
Fast Forward to 2007 when they were a lot more mainstream....see Heavy Rock or Heavy Metal as it came to be known had become, well it was born out of Motorhead, and Lemmy.
Black Sabbath had a role to play in it too, there was a time in the terrible 80's when general music tastes and popular music went down the gurgler,.. Disco and other nice music prevailed.
All the bands that followed in their footsteps made the originals more mainstream in popularity.
I was there all along....which makes me old.
But I survived it...only just :smile
Forever young when you ride a motorcycle!
So 2007 October the 3rd, still got the flyer on my office/bedroom , wall/window, here I'll take a pic of it, it's a storing itself if you look closely.
Hope it's not blurry, haven't had coffee yet this morning.
So yeah 2007 I got to see a complete performance at long last!.... 23 years later and I'm actually in the sitting down seats at the Brisbane Convention Centre, and a few seats over, just into the third song... I see myself as I was!
A few seats over there's a dude who is off his scone as we say here, blind drunk but still standing, possibly fuelled by other substances as well, but I can't say.
But nan was this guy drunk!.... I really dunno how he would got in!!!.......maybe Lemmy got him in hey:wink
Doubt it, this dude was going off!...I don't know why he was up here in the high seats and not down in the melee of the mosh pit.....but it was his undoing....
Security told him to Sit! Sit down and behave!
But the dude was beyond it, a drunken Motorheadbanger cannot be reasoned with, after his second warning from the Security, I myself tried to reason with him, he was on treading on very thin ice with Security.......
But he took no notice.. He was raging off his head then started calling all the seated people softcocks and abusing them for not being as fucked up as himself.
That was it! Security threw him out.....
Reminded me so much of the 'old me' it was uncanny.

2011 they played here again and by then I was off the booze and drugs some 12 years so I had no problems getting in.
But hey, no sitting down this time man, I was down the front, well almost...there was an invisible line of respect around the wild frantic melee of the mosh pit as they're called now.....an invisible line I was standing right on.
Behind me was relative calm, only relative because of the over the top stuff going on in front of me.
I was screwing a big Maori lady at the time and I'd shouted her a ticket, she was a big woman. Huge tits too and lots of fun but that's another story, well she was behind me and the joint was going off, in a good way!
Never got to speak to Lemmy, as I did in '84, but it was a hell of a show, so loud so intense, the last 3 song encore ran into itself as in no break between songs
One song ran straight into the next the mood was electric and verging on controlled violence...
One little dude who actually looked like an evil little imp kept getting ejected from the mosh and we would push him back in.... He started taking running dives back in..
It was mayhem! World war 3 in hard rock right in front of us..
The last song Overkill(what else!) drove us into a frenzy.
The lighting was red and white, and the white was cranked right up like Kenworth spotlights!
As the frenetic Overkill accelerated straight into hell, the music faster and faster the red and white lights flashing in the same beat in some form of ancient tribal torture, we were reduced to a sweating seething mass of Metal Mayhem.....

That is how I will remember him
R.I.F.P. Lemmy....Motorhead....
Born to Lose!

Did I say long story short?.....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.