Dyna beads vs ride on - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Premium Member
 
robvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 608
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
How big was the nail? Was the correct dosage for the tire size used?
It was a 3 " common nail
There was more ride-on in the tire than there should have been.

There was a stream of ride-on sprying everywhere - what a mess

It didnt plug the hole at all - it was like one of those high powered water guns shooting what looked like dirty milk...

[SIGPIC]
Rob
2010 V Star 650 Custom (Wife's)
2013 XCT 2013 Suzuki KQ750 AXI Power Steerring
Victory Sport Touring Flag Ship
Lloydz Idle Air Valve
Lloydz PTW
60,000 km
Rear Rack
Passenger Grab Handles
Modified Heel Shifter
HID Low
Oil Temp Gauge
Ride-On TPS
Modified Stock Pipes by Thrush
K&N air filter
G-man Bully FI Controller
Heat Troller
LED Driving lights
PCV with AutoTune
robvision is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Donzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 338
I use it for the balancing effect on tires. The potential sealing of a small puncture is gravy. Bet ride on will seal a puncture better than dyna beads.....

2010 Crossroads

Enjoy the miles....we only get so many!
Donzo is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: JOCO KS
Posts: 632
I have it in my tires and plan to do a puncture test soon at my upcoming tire change. I'll do the drill test along with riding over a board with a nail or two protruding. My guess, it will spray the shit all over the place. But, it does a great job balancing the wheels!

I have had nails and staples in previous tires, and as long as they are in the tire, it never lost pressure (before I started using ride on).

Based on the results of my puncture test, I may go to airsoft pellets. I believe the larger diameter pellets (and lower cost) will do a better job of balancing and distributing themselves than the dynabeads. Actually, dyna beads come in a variety of sizes.... the larger ones go in during tire mounting, while I believe the smaller (and IMO, less effective) beads were a concession for those who wanted to add to an already mounted tire.

2011 Silver/black Vision, Ness Big Honkers, Ness Twin Sucker, PC-V w/AT, Lloydz VM1-DR cams, Lloydz Adj Intake, Lloydz Variable Timing Wheel.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
I have it in my tires and plan to do a puncture test soon at my upcoming tire change. I'll do the drill test along with riding over a board with a nail or two protruding. My guess, it will spray the shit all over the place. But, it does a great job balancing the wheels!
That's a wonderful idea. I should have done that at my last tire change, but now that you mentioned this, I will run over a few nails to test it right before I change the tires again.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Victory HID upgrade kits: VictoryHID.com Indian LED headlights: IronHorseLights.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2015 Chieftain
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
OkieHoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 835
HMMMMMmmmm awaiting puncture test results before i decide..I like that I can reuse the dynabeads in my next tire..I dont like the fact that if a pucture happens I could have a hell of a mess on my hands not counting the fact it wont seal the hole...

2013 black XCT.
OkieHoss is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHoss View Post
HMMMMMmmmm awaiting puncture test results before i decide..I like that I can reuse the dynabeads in my next tire..I dont like the fact that if a pucture happens I could have a hell of a mess on my hands not counting the fact it wont seal the hole...
Until someone proves it different, I think it's safe to believe the Ride-On video demonstration. If you have not seen it yet, here it is:

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Victory HID upgrade kits: VictoryHID.com Indian LED headlights: IronHorseLights.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2015 Chieftain
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 7,955
I have ride-on in my tires and yes I lost air from the tire all summer long. Air does seal out the side Walls and thats normal. Tires are a porous rubber.
Ride-on says the product clings to the center of the tire not the side walls.
Ride-on only seals certain size puncture so yes a big nail like a 8 penny it might not seal where it will seal a 6 penny.
Dyna beads only balance where ride-on seals and we all hope seals when were in the back roads doing what we love,

2008 vision
35 different model bikes over the years. No Monkey in my garage.
Mpls,Mn. no orange in my county

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
lstayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prairie City, IA
Posts: 251
Garage
Centramatics

I had a set of Centramatic wheel balancers on my Goldwing. I have been bugging these guys since I got my wife's 1st CR to make them for a Victory. A few weeks back I got to ride a Vision with them on. I ordered 2 sets on the spot. Until they come in, I went ahead and put Dyna beads in both bikes until we change out tires. The dyna beads did not do as much for me as the Centramatics do.

They run about $300 for a set but they never wear out and can be moved from bike to bike. They seem a bit costly at 1st but on the GW I increased tire life on the rear by 20 -25% and on the front by 25 - 30%. Taking that into consideration and the replacement cost of either dyna beads or Ride on I break even fairly fast.

I also carry tire plugs and a compressor at all times. So far I haven't had to use it.

Here is the website and I see that they haven't updated it yet to include Victory bikes but they are available.

http://centramatic.com

ATGATT because walking away in disgust is better than riding away in an ambulance.

Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Larry

2011 Pearl White Vision 87,000 smiles
lstayner is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Pop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mechanicville NY
Posts: 1,201
Garage
The vid for Ride On and similar vids for other products show standing or close to standing punctures. Sources of punctures in the vids are of similar diameter and are removed after puncture and the punctures themselves are similar and in a specific area of the tire.
What you can believe in from the vids is that if you have a puncture of a certain size, type and location, the source of which does not remain in the tire, and it happens at a standstill or very low speed then there is good cause to believe that the puncture will seal. Any other assumption about these products abilities to repair tire puncture is not validated by the demonstrations.

Another thing is that assuming it does work, you are left with a tire that may have lost a pound or two but otherwise you might have no idea that it has a hole in it. That isn't a comfortable position to be in.

Regardless, I been thinking I'll try this stuff out because I have had slow speed tire punctures where the nail came out and I was left on the side of the road wishing for a plug and a compressor. Just because it's not an absolute solution doesn't mean it's useless.

As far as balancing goes...
1. Is it even necessary on a motorcycle wheel? Maybe so, maybe not, maybe only if out of balance conditions present themselves while under way. You are a whole lot more likely to hear a guy say "I was washing the bike and I see where my wheel weights come unglued" than you are to hear him say" I had to get the bike towed home cuz my weights flew off and it rode like a rodeo bull".
2. Do liquid additives work ? Do beads work? Plenty of us insist they do. Odd that the proofs are testimonials and You Tube vids but you can't find ironclad data that shuts up us doubters. Just doesn't seem right that after the amount of time that these things have been on the market, someone can't produce stats that demonstrate that they work as well as or better than weights or nothing for that matter, and that the use of them empirically increases tire life or wear characteristics or something.
Now don't go hating because you invested in Dynabeads or whatever and spent part of a Sunday trying to get more stuff in your tire than on it. If it gives you peace of mind for a few bucks and you believe that it improves anything then it's money well spent. Screw what anybody else thinks.
I just can't reconcile a world full of tire balancing equipment with the lack of alternate pour in options when you go for tires. Hell, you would think that the shop would put up signs saying balance with weights- free, balance with pour in product of your choice -20 bucks and then push the 20 dollar option. Just saying...
Pop is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
lstayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prairie City, IA
Posts: 251
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
The vid for Ride On and similar vids for other products show standing or close to standing punctures. Sources of punctures in the vids are of similar diameter and are removed after puncture and the punctures themselves are similar and in a specific area of the tire.
What you can believe in from the vids is that if you have a puncture of a certain size, type and location, the source of which does not remain in the tire, and it happens at a standstill or very low speed then there is good cause to believe that the puncture will seal. Any other assumption about these products abilities to repair tire puncture is not validated by the demonstrations.

Another thing is that assuming it does work, you are left with a tire that may have lost a pound or two but otherwise you might have no idea that it has a hole in it. That isn't a comfortable position to be in.

Regardless, I been thinking I'll try this stuff out because I have had slow speed tire punctures where the nail came out and I was left on the side of the road wishing for a plug and a compressor. Just because it's not an absolute solution doesn't mean it's useless.

As far as balancing goes...
1. Is it even necessary on a motorcycle wheel? Maybe so, maybe not, maybe only if out of balance conditions present themselves while under way. You are a whole lot more likely to hear a guy say "I was washing the bike and I see where my wheel weights come unglued" than you are to hear him say" I had to get the bike towed home cuz my weights flew off and it rode like a rodeo bull".
2. Do liquid additives work ? Do beads work? Plenty of us insist they do. Odd that the proofs are testimonials and You Tube vids but you can't find ironclad data that shuts up us doubters. Just doesn't seem right that after the amount of time that these things have been on the market, someone can't produce stats that demonstrate that they work as well as or better than weights or nothing for that matter, and that the use of them empirically increases tire life or wear characteristics or something.
Now don't go hating because you invested in Dynabeads or whatever and spent part of a Sunday trying to get more stuff in your tire than on it. If it gives you peace of mind for a few bucks and you believe that it improves anything then it's money well spent. Screw what anybody else thinks.
I just can't reconcile a world full of tire balancing equipment with the lack of alternate pour in options when you go for tires. Hell, you would think that the shop would put up signs saying balance with weights- free, balance with pour in product of your choice -20 bucks and then push the 20 dollar option. Just saying...
You make some good points but for me the proof is in the results. Goldwings are notorious for front wheel cupping even when the tire pressure is correct and the tire was balanced at the time of installation. Adding in my case the Centramatic balancer eleiminated the problem and as a result I got more mileage from the front tire. On the Vision, I do not have the same issues in the front as the Goldwing but I do think the ride will be improved once I get them on the bike. I am not sold on the Dynabeads after having ridden now on both.

ATGATT because walking away in disgust is better than riding away in an ambulance.

Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Larry

2011 Pearl White Vision 87,000 smiles
lstayner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome