XC Lower air deflector install help? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
BThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 475
XC Lower air deflector install help?

I am getting ready to install a used set of factory lower air deflectors on my 2012 XC and have looked in my manual as well as done multiple searches for some directions but haven't found any.

I'm specifically trying to figure out if I'm to install the shields completely perpendicular to the forward direction of travel or if I should place them at an angle.

Also trying to figure out if the deflector bracket should bolt to the outside of the two fork brackets or if it should seat between them. My best guess is outside but wanted to be sure.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could either post or point me towards some online directions.

Thanks a bunch!
BThomas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Premium Member
 
dtmmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawley MN
Posts: 3,763
Sorry no instructions here, but are they the ones that bolt to the bottom of the fairing? or the forks? If they are the ones that bolt to the fairing, which crash bars do you have, forged or tube?

2012 Cross Country(Imp blue)
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, Miller Mufflers short baffles,Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(6*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
BThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmmil View Post
Sorry no instructions here, but are they the ones that bolt to the bottom of the fairing? or the forks? If they are the ones that bolt to the fairing, which crash bars do you have, forged or tube?
Forks.... I have the forged bars-dont think the uppers would fit my bike due to the forged bars...
BThomas is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Premium Member
 
dtmmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawley MN
Posts: 3,763
Gotcha, thats what I was getting at, I dont think they will, I have the same bars on mine. I have the victory soft lowers on mine and they helped a ton, I have thought about doing the fork mounted ones but not sure they will help where I need it now.

2012 Cross Country(Imp blue)
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, Miller Mufflers short baffles,Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(6*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is online now  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
BThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmmil View Post
Gotcha, thats what I was getting at, I dont think they will, I have the same bars on mine. I have the victory soft lowers on mine and they helped a ton, I have thought about doing the fork mounted ones but not sure they will help where I need it now.
I have soft lowers too along with a Madstad windshield bracket (best $100 ive spent on this bike!). I am both pleased and completely satisfied with my new wind mgmt. Got the used deflectors cheap and figured i'd use them in place of the soft lowers during the summer months if nothing else. If i ever get them on, i'll let you know how they work with this combination....


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western Arizona
Posts: 6,553
Garage
No directions but I do have this from the instructions that might help.

BBob is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
BThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
No directions but I do have this from the instructions that might help.

Hey BBob, thanks so much for taking the time to post this but i probably wasnt clear in my above post. Im trying to install the clear plastic lower deflectors on my forks like the ones in this picture... Again thanks!ImageUploadedByMO Free1353536887.314579.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western Arizona
Posts: 6,553
Garage
Oh! Got it now. I always put them at a little bit of angle to where the outer edge is a little further back than the inner edge.

One time I got the bright idea to turn them the other way when I crossed the desert in a 117 degree temps for added air flow to the oil cooler and heads. Well, it worked, but I got so much heat on my lower legs I was just about cooked when I got to my destination. I'm sure the bike was happier but I sure wasn't.
BBob is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThomas View Post
I am getting ready to install a used set of factory lower air deflectors on my 2012 XC and have looked in my manual as well as done multiple searches for some directions but haven't found any.

I'm specifically trying to figure out if I'm to install the shields completely perpendicular to the forward direction of travel or if I should place them at an angle.

Also trying to figure out if the deflector bracket should bolt to the outside of the two fork brackets or if it should seat between them. My best guess is outside but wanted to be sure.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could either post or point me towards some online directions.

Thanks a bunch!

Sent you a PM. I have a PDF of the instructions but it is too big to post.

'11 XC
Stage 1
Jeepster is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
BThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
Sent you a PM. I have a PDF of the instructions but it is too big to post.
Thanks a lot! PM sent.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome