.02 cents worth from another Pin owner
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Kingpin.
- I live in Wisconsin and the temps are still cold. What's the best way to clean the dust of the bike without scratching the paint?
Until it warms up enough where you can stand to dip your hand into a bucket of soapy water, go with a California mini-duster to remove the dust, then you can finish up with pledge and a microfiber towel. I bought my Pin in Sept, and haven't had a chance to wash it with soap and water yet, and I live on a dirt road. Duster and pledge is what's kept her shiny since purchase.
- Is it best to avoid products such as Armorall for the seat and bags?
Actually you can use pledge on the seat and bags too. Puts a nice shine on them without the slickness of armor all.
- Speaking of cold weather, is it bad for the bike to start it up when it's below freezing?
First off make sure the oil level is good, then look to see if it is set up for a battery tender or other type trickle charger. Usually there is a small plug near the left side cover. If there is a plug, invest the $30 or so and get the charger and keep your bike plugged in during the winter months.
If it will start, it's probably a good idea to do so, but resist the temptation to "rev" the motor while it sits. Fire her up and let it idle for a few minutes.
- What type of fuel is normally ran through the 100 CI? The guy I bought it from said he always ran premium fuel without ethanol. Concur?
Premium w/out ethanol is what the manual says.
If you don't have the owners manual for it, go to Polaris' site and you can download one there. Also, you can download a copy of the shop manual from this site. While waiting for the weather to warm up and the streets to dry off, it's good to go through both manuals and get familiar with what's in it. It will save you research time, and $$$ in the future.
- The bike used to have a windshield but it cracked and the guy never replaced it. The mounting hardware is still there though. I can't find a brand on the mounting hardware.
Not familiar with the Victory shields, so I don't know if that's a "lock and ride" setup or an aftermarket such as Memphis Shades.
If you want to keep a shield, you can probably go with an aftermarket like Memphis for way less than replacing a stock Victory unit.
'09 Kingpin 8Ball
'06 HD Road King
'06 Vulcan 900 Classic