Vegas is falling apart!!!!? [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Vegas is falling apart!!!!?

07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I just wanted to find out if anyone else had some of the same problems I had. My Vegas is an 07 ,I bought it as a left over late in 08. Where I live we have a short season for bikes, east coast Canada.My bike had 3200.0 km's on it . First the starter went, then the handle bar bushings fell out , the clutch cable broke, Both of the throttle cables rusted through and broke. The service tech. said the bike would need a clutch before the end of this season. I am 45 years old and have always had a bike since I was 16. So there is NO ABUSE. The bike has been in a heated garage from day 1. Never seen rain, It seems like I bought a bike made from parts laying around someones shop.My bike now has 5442.0 km's on it. Has anyone else had problems like this?

doc
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
thats no surprise, you should've bought a Harley.

49erjeff
07-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Doc do you even ride or do you just sit home on the internet? I have had my 2003 Vegas for 6 years and it has only been in the shop twice. Once for a fuel pump and once for a speedo sensor. If you are jealous then just go by one.

Kracker
07-25-2009, 07:16 PM
thats no surprise, you should've bought a Harley.

wow, your a big help.

jsilvers
08-04-2009, 11:03 PM
I just wanted to find out if anyone else had some of the same problems I had. My Vegas is an 07 ,I bought it as a left over late in 08. Where I live we have a short season for bikes, east coast Canada.My bike had 3200.0 km's on it . First the starter went, then the handle bar bushings fell out , the clutch cable broke, Both of the throttle cables rusted through and broke. The service tech. said the bike would need a clutch before the end of this season. I am 45 years old and have always had a bike since I was 16. So there is NO ABUSE. The bike has been in a heated garage from day 1. Never seen rain, It seems like I bought a bike made from parts laying around someones shop.My bike now has 5442.0 km's on it. Has anyone else had problems like this?

I'm riding an '07 Vegas and have had no problems (other than a belt squeak that was fixed by the dealership) and I have just rolled over 10,250 miles. I'm sorry you got a lemon, but my Vic has never let me down. Plus it will smoke most Harleys;)

Evolvd Ride
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
That's true, ask any Harley owner (that you can trust so that leaves out Doc) how often he has to wrench on his bike.

Bungln
08-07-2009, 08:59 AM

wow that sucks. i got about 60k miles on my 04 without and problems. guess anyone can build a lemon. your bike must of been built on a friday.

sicofvic
08-16-2009, 09:33 AM
wow that sucks. i got about 60k miles on my 04 without and problems. guess anyone can build a lemon. your bike must of been built on a friday.

I have an '07 Vegas that I have LOVED really until now...I am on my 4th clutch cable and I'm done with Victory...until I decided to google the problem, I couldn't get a straight answer from any of the Victory dealers...(not that there are that many...another source of aggravation) with regards to the problem...nobody would admit to knowing about a problem! It's ridiculous! I had my first bike, an '04 883 that I had to do NOTHING to for 34k miles when I traded it in for the Vic...I'm going back to Harley! I saw where there was a rescue kit for when you have the breakage problem but even better yet...Victory, start making some higher quality bikes! I shouldn't have to carry a rescue kit for a problem they know is common to the bikes! Fix the problem! I ride waaaaay too much to have to worry about when it's gonna break again! So good luck all...I think it'd be a fine bike for someone maybe with a mechanics background that can do all their own work...sorry this is so long...bye ya'll!

Evolvd Ride
08-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I have an '07 Vegas that I have LOVED really until now...I am on my 4th clutch cable and I'm done with Victory...until I decided to google the problem, I couldn't get a straight answer from any of the Victory dealers...(not that there are that many...another source of aggravation) with regards to the problem...nobody would admit to knowing about a problem! It's ridiculous! I had my first bike, an '04 883 that I had to do NOTHING to for 34k miles when I traded it in for the Vic...I'm going back to Harley! I saw where there was a rescue kit for when you have the breakage problem but even better yet...Victory, start making some higher quality bikes! I shouldn't have to carry a rescue kit for a problem they know is common to the bikes! Fix the problem! I ride waaaaay too much to have to worry about when it's gonna break again! So good luck all...I think it'd be a fine bike for someone maybe with a mechanics background that can do all their own work...sorry this is so long...bye ya'll!

LOL, if you ride Harleys you'll need an engineering degree to keep them running. Sounds like you got lucky with your 883....oh wait, there are thousands of Vic owners who haven't had any major problems. Must be the manufacturer huh?

Hunter2553
08-17-2009, 01:53 AM
I have an '04 Vegas not one problem. The people who built your bike must have been Harley mechanics!

wolfdog
08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
I have an '04 Vegas not one problem. The people who built your bike must have been Harley mechanics!

I was going to say that! :D

Seriously, the cable is a sore subject with some. I put a Barnetts cable on, and put a dab of grease on the ends every other oil change. Cable looks likes new after 20K on it.

I love my Vic.

Bungln
08-17-2009, 06:12 PM

if you keep breaking clutch cables it's not the cable. check the lever and see if there is not a burr there that is rubbing on you cable. dremel it out and you should be good to go.

allenterry
08-17-2009, 07:15 PM
I am a service rep for a tractor manufacturer, I see guys like this every day, they have one problem then get on the internet and tell everyone that the whole company produces junk. Maybe we are better off without them, I guess just thinking out loud but I'd rather see less Victory bikes on the road than see them ridden by people like Doc or even the guy who started this post, I guess I say so long,...and good riddence.

Good riding to those who actually ride!

CycleOpsUSA
08-20-2009, 01:37 PM

The issue you're mentioning is definitely something the dealer should have caught, so you definitely deserve to be frustrated. Look, Because I work on these bikes and make custom parts, I'm deep into most things Victory. That said, you yourself found the fix, and yes, your dealer should have caught it, but he didn't. The problem some had were where the cable went through the hand lever, right next to the barrel, the lever castings had some rough edges, but those were far and few between. Secondly, all the dealers' fault no doubt, is many techs with the Vic dealers are green, with little experience. The barrels were not being lubed on prep, and the lack of freedom will fray and end and cause a break. Secondly, those who wash their bikes with a degreaser type cleaner like S100 bike wash or similar that don't relube the pivots and barrels have this happen too as the degreasers degrease these necessary lube points too. I had 2 break on me. Proatively replaced stock braided cable at 14,000 miles, installed Barnett. 4,000 miles later, pop! Replaced with black stock cable at local dealer where I was stuck. Popped that one a few thousand later. New Barnett on now, which has a sleeve protecting the end now and eliminate this problem totally. As I use S100, don't ask why I didn't practice what I preach! Too busy doing everyone else's I guess.
Regarding the Emergency Clutch repair kits, regardless of what you ride, these are smart to carry. They are not offered, made by, or endorsed by Victory, they're made by a Vic owner and rider who saw a need before the reason it was happening was fully known. I've seen as many other bikes other than a Vic lose a cable. To condemn a bike you say you 'loved' because of a 2 minute deburring job just seems exteme.
Another way to elimiante it is to put on a set of the custom billet machined levers I offer on our website (http://www.cycleopsusa.com/morevictoryparts.html). Being CNC machined versus cast, there're very smooth, with no swag edges whatsoever. That, and the fact that all 6 styles are cool as hell!

Vic Vegas
08-24-2009, 08:51 AM
1+ "New Barnett on now, which has a sleeve protecting the end now and eliminate this problem totally"

This cable works!
Have put on three clutch cables in 47k, first one snapped early on then I took the edges off the barrel/cam thingy and put on a Barnett lasted for around 30k, it snapped so I put on the Barnett that has a sleeve protecting the end and have watched it pretty close & it seems to be holding up.
Pokin a dead animal with a stick here, I ride a lot & I all ways carry some tools, on the last two trips with my brother a cousin (they ride Harley's) on both trips I had to loan them my tools! I did not need them. I'm just saying!

doc
08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
LOL, if you ride Harleys you'll need an engineering degree to keep them running. Sounds like you got lucky with your 883....oh wait, there are thousands of Vic owners who haven't had any major problems. Must be the manufacturer huh?

Rock head your wrong again. I have a Business Degree and never had to work on any of my harleys to keep them running.
Step down.

Evolvd Ride
08-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Rock head your wrong again. I have a Business Degree and never had to work on any of my harleys to keep them running.
Step down.

Yawn.......

diamondrmp
08-26-2009, 07:14 PM
You guys that are having the clutch problems probably have the clutch set wrong. Also are you using and EZ clutch? I have too many customers that are way over 20,000 that haven't broken a clutch. I would think after the second clutch you would wise up and buy a Barnett. Hell, they're cheaper than the Vic clutch cables.

As far as that 07 Vegas thats falling apart that bike is a lemon and you should seek restitution.

doc
08-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Yawn.......

boyfriend keeping you up at night?

Thanks for serving our country.

dermer
09-03-2009, 02:43 AM
I have an 04 Vegas with 20K commuter miles on it. Not a problem. Only in the shop for planned maintenance. My wife rides a Harley Ultra. It needs constant attention. Shakes like mad, too. the Harley; not the wife......

Evolvd Ride
09-03-2009, 08:26 AM
boyfriend keeping you up at night?

Thanks for serving our country.

Very witty Doc, I guess I expected more from you than a 4th grade "gay" joke.

And you're welcome.

32ROADKING
09-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey 859, don't let that Harley guy bother you. I have an 04 Vegas , a 06 Road King and a 08 Deluxe. That Victory is the best V-Twin ever made.

stevie3x
11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
you know were dealing with a mechanical being here, assembled by mere humans, as far as cable issues, my sons 04 vic broke 2 weeks ago, he absolutely never performs any maintenance on it, my harley accelerator, clutch and spedo cables all broke in time, does that mean it was a bad bike,? no .... remember to do your maintenance, I think perhaps Victory owners get complacient, hells fire you can ride em all day and they don't leak or weep,.. come on people lube them cables , pay more attention to your machine, change your own oil and filters save $ money in the process.

steve

stevie3x
11-11-2009, 07:01 PM
you know were dealing with a mechanical being here, assembled by mere humans, as far as cable issues, my sons 04 vic broke 2 weeks ago, he absolutely never performs any maintenance on it, my harley accelerator, clutch and spedo cables all broke in time, does that mean it was a bad bike,? no .... remember to do your maintenance, I think perhaps Victory owners get complacient, hells fire you can ride em all day and they don't leak or weep,.. come on people lube them cables , pay more attention to your machine, change your own oil and filters save $ money in the process.

steve

500duster
11-24-2009, 05:34 PM
1+ "New Barnett on now, which has a sleeve protecting the end now and eliminate this problem totally"

This cable works!
Have put on three clutch cables in 47k, first one snapped early on then I took the edges off the barrel/cam thingy and put on a Barnett lasted for around 30k, it snapped so I put on the Barnett that has a sleeve protecting the end and have watched it pretty close & it seems to be holding up.
Pokin a dead animal with a stick here, I ride a lot & I all ways carry some tools, on the last two trips with my brother a cousin (they ride Harley's) on both trips I had to loan them my tools! I did not need them. I'm just saying!

Does any one have a part number for this clutch cable or suggestion on where to order one?

07ACE
11-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Does any one have a part number for this clutch cable or suggestion on where to order one?

i am also interested also, what do i do to grease my cables?

diamondrmp
11-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Go to Barnett here
http://www.barnettclutches.com/

If you have your owners manual it tells you how to lube the cables in the maintenance section.