Problem after refueling [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Problem after refueling

Raybob47
03-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I've had my Vision 8 ball appear to be flooded after refueling. It will start and run but it isn't running correctly. It doesn't happen at the station, but the next time I start it if I only ride it the mile home from the station. It's done it twice now. I just sit and let it run for a bit and it clears itself out.....almost like a clogged fuel filter??? Bike has under 3k miles.

bcdad
03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Before I would doubt the bike I would question the fuel supply. What brand/station are buying gas? Are you using 91 or higher octane? The reason I ask is I had a problem with a fuel supplier here in Dayton and as soon as I changed to BP and Shell, no more issues.

Raybob47
03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
If I'm filling up at home I use Chevron or Sinclair and I do use 91 octane. I'm trying to remember if I had fllled up at the same station the two times I had the problem....which seems to be linked to: I filled up the bike, rode a short distance and then parked the bike for about an hour. When I started the bike, it was like it only ran on one cylinder for about a minute or two....then the problem cleared up and it ran fine after that... I was wondering if I can be overfilling the tank and it is clogging some of the emissions stuff....like overfilling the tank on a car.

visionjohnny
03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
As we all say check battery cable and see if there tight.
You might have a gas cap that isn't venting right.
Next time it stumbles open cap and see if that helps.
Most gas stations go threw so much gas that I would not think the station has bad gas especially if the station is new.
Check your plug wires see all is clean.
Not sure what a dealer could do for you cause the bike runs and till its broke you just never know. You can put to much gas in the bike.

Raybob47
04-01-2012, 06:54 PM
As we all say check battery cable and see if there tight.
You might have a gas cap that isn't venting right.
Next time it stumbles open cap and see if that helps.
Most gas stations go threw so much gas that I would not think the station has bad gas especially if the station is new.
Check your plug wires see all is clean.
Not sure what a dealer could do for you cause the bike runs and till its broke you just never know. You can put to much gas in the bike.

Thanks for the tips....I didn't fill the bike quite as much this time and no problem. I will remember the gas cap if this happens again. Checked the battery leads and they are OK. Just one of those little things that make you go Hummmmmmmmmm????????:confused:

gibson
04-02-2012, 06:17 AM
The new systems do not vent until you shut it off. It is pressurized system that uses a canister to collect fumes from the tank to reuse back into the combustion chamber. (EPA) If you are over filling you could be flooding the canister full of fuel which would take time to clear out. If you continue to do this it will ruin the canister. On California models has the canister, so you could a have a pressure regulator problem or fuel pump or a throttle body plugging up. Some things to consider.

Dernel
04-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Down under most only use 98 plus from caltex and. BP..shell is a no no as believed to glaze cylinders..so the story goes ...

I tend to use BP 98 octane..with great results..sure the mapping has something to do with it..butbike runs well..with minimum decel popping...

Just my two cents worth...

Derekcheers

Raybob47
04-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Down under most only use 98 plus from caltex and. BP..shell is a no no as believed to glaze cylinders..so the story goes ...

I tend to use BP 98 octane..with great results..sure the mapping has something to do with it..butbike runs well..with minimum decel popping...

Just my two cents worth...

Derekcheers

Here in Northern Utah the valley elevation is almost 4500 ft above sea level. Regular unleaded is 85 octane mid grade is 89 and premium is usually 91. In the past I've run mid grade with no problems in my fuel injected bikes. I haven't tried it on the Vision and probably won't since the price of fuel is so high ------why not just bend over a bit further.cheers

Raybob47
04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Update to my problem with flooding.... It appears the problem isn't flooding, I hadn't noticed an error code was being set when this happened. The error code is 017520204. I don't know for sure but I think the code says the bike is running on one cylinder. I'll find out when I call my dealer back next week to see when they might be able to look at it, since this week was full :O(

visionjohnny
04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
If you think your running on one cylinder pull the plugs. The one that not firing will be pitch black

fivepoints
08-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the posts. I had strong smell of gas fumes after refueling this week. First time. I thought it could be bad batch of gas. After half tank, I refilled with high test at another station, but the fumes were still there. Even worse I think. Could be I am over filling the beast. I take care not to hang the nozzle on the filler neck. The cap seems to seal ok.
Is there a vent hose from the gas tank that can cause the gas fumes

visionjohnny
08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
not from vent hose
check the neck on tank with finger. It should be flat and smooth.
Cap could not be closing all the way or its bad.
Napa auto parts has a cap for $3.99 p/n 703-1220

fivepoints
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
not from vent hose
check the neck on tank with finger. It should be flat and smooth.
Cap could not be closing all the way or its bad.
Napa auto parts has a cap for $3.99 p/n 703-1220

I will double check the filler neck on the tank. It seemed flat and smooth, no edges pulled up. Will definitely pick up a spare gas cap today. Thanks for the tips here.