What fuel do you use [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: What fuel do you use

swalker
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi all. Another question from a new Victory owner. I see that Victory recommends premium fuel for its bikes. Is this required? Does anyone just run super unleaded (89 octane)? My wifes last bike required premium as well, but we always ran 89 in it with no problems. Just wondering if this is the same way.

Thanks for your input.
Scott

Evolvd Ride
09-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi all. Another question from a new Victory owner. I see that Victory recommends premium fuel for its bikes. Is this required? Does anyone just run super unleaded (89 octane)? My wifes last bike required premium as well, but we always ran 89 in it with no problems. Just wondering if this is the same way.

Thanks for your input.
Scott

They recommend it because of the timing advance and compression they use in thier motors. When you run lower grade fuel it has more tendency to detonate before spark which can damage pistons, rings and heads. However that usually doesn't happen to naturally aspirated motors that aren't run hard. But also keep in mind that if you run 89 your ECU will more than likely pull timing because it will sense knock or bad fuel burn and you will lose power.

For a motor getting 40+ mpg I think it's worth the peace of mind and extra 30 cents per fill up to use Premium.

jv79
09-16-2009, 10:43 AM
I always run permium and better if I can find it but I have put regular in it before. I pulled into a gas station wit very little fuel left and all they had was regular??? So I just got a couple of dollars worth and figured I'd top of with premium when I got home. I did not notice anything at all. No knocking, popping, power loss or anything. However it did make me feel uneasy. As mentioned before with the fuel milage this machine gets I'll spend the extra for piece of mind.

Evolvd Ride
09-16-2009, 05:58 PM
And you might not ever notice anything until that one time you roll full throttle and your ECU pulls timing due to detonation. They recommend the octane level to provide the best possible fuel ignition for the design of their motor. It doesn't mean you CAN'T run less octane, it's just not recommended.

wingman
09-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I run 91 octane non-oxygenated fuel. We have ethanol in all other grades (Minnesota law). Not good for motors. I use the 91 fuel for mowers, atv, and any small engine I have.

kden
09-24-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm the same as Wingman. 91 non oxygenated whenever possible.

Flame Daddy
11-28-2009, 12:06 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you know if a fuel is "non-oxygenated"?

diamondrmp
11-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Even though the ECU will retard the timing due to a lower octane there is still the pre detonation to a little extent.

Its not worth the risk of damage to the motor just to save a few pennies.

mjw930
11-28-2009, 08:48 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you know if a fuel is "non-oxygenated"?

Most state laws requires the pump to state the percent of ethanol or other oxygenator in the gas. Around here they all say "As much as 10% Ethanol by volume" so it's a safe bet to assume it's all oxygenated.

Flame Daddy
11-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Most state laws requires the pump to state the percent of ethanol or other oxygenator in the gas. Around here they all say "As much as 10% Ethanol by volume" so it's a safe bet to assume it's all oxygenated.

Thanks, I didn't realize that Ethanol was an oxygenator. It's hard to find non-ethanol gas here in Houston. Any suggestions on how to find non-oxygenated gas? Race gas maybe?

MinnesotaVegasLow
12-05-2009, 07:22 AM
I run 91 octane non-oxygenated fuel. We have ethanol in all other grades (Minnesota law). Not good for motors. I use the 91 fuel for mowers, atv, and any small engine I have.

wingman, if you don't mind me asking, where do you get non-oxy? I live in Bloomington, MN and would like to run it as well.