05 Vegas Starter Trouble [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: 05 Vegas Starter Trouble

NJ TRIBE
11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Battery fully charged,lights come on bright,when starter button is pushed: solenoid clicks,lights stay bright,starter does not engage.Jumping pos terminals on solenoid does not work.I do get power to starter.Sounds like a bad starter,but it's hard to believe because bike has low miles.

07ACE
11-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Battery fully charged,lights come on bright,when starter button is pushed: solenoid clicks,lights stay bright,starter does not engage.Jumping pos terminals on solenoid does not work.I do get power to starter.Sounds like a bad starter,but it's hard to believe because bike has low miles.

sounds pretty cliche but i'd try hitting the ends of the starter perhaps the spring mechanism in the starter is stuck and needs to be "encouraged" to release

diamondrmp
11-17-2009, 06:50 PM
This is a common occurrence USUALLY attributed to a loose connection. Check all connections on the battery starter and grounds.

NJ TRIBE
11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks 07,I'm old school too, I did try to" encourage" it. I may just take it off and do some exploritory surgery

NJ TRIBE
11-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks Diamondrmp, I removed and cleaned all connections,no change

diamondrmp
11-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Not trying to badger you but I've seen and fixed this on customers bikes SO many times.

Did you check all of your grounds?

If that doesn't work Ebay has a LOT of aftermarket starters that are just as good as OEM.

A thought just occurred to me. Are you running a stock engine? If you have bumped up the cubes ot gone to higher compression pistons then you probably do need a new starter.

NJ TRIBE
11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Not at all, are you kidding,I came on looking for help.I'm thankful for guys like you and 07 I'll double check the grounds

07ACE
11-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Not at all, are you kidding,I came on looking for help.I'm thankful for guys like you and 07 I'll double check the grounds

hope everything works out for ya, i feel ya i'm into whackin it first:D

diamondrmp
11-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Nothing wrong with whacking it first...hey wait a minute. What are we talking about again? lmao

NJ TRIBE
11-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Well sometimes just is what it seems. I opened the starter ( after removing the complete exhaust system,what a hassle). The bottom end was totally chewed up.I guess I'm going to be spending the weekend on EBAY looking for a starter.
Thanks Again