Victory Cross Country Opinions [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Victory Cross Country Opinions

RobDog
12-05-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm a contractor assisting the Military in Baghdad, Iraq. I have been doing internet research on the top touring bikes and will be purchasing a new one when I return to the world in January.

The top three contenders are the HD Ultra Classic, BMW K1200LT, and the Victory Cross Country. These bikes best fit my riding style for long distance touring and have the style I like in a machine.

For all of you owners of the Victory Cross Country, what are your honest opinions about the bike? My wife will be riding with me and I wonder about the passenger comfort on this bike. Of course, there are no Victory dealerships in Baghdad, so I can't see one up close and personal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RobDog
Texas Rider in Baghdad

diamondrmp
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Robb first and foremost thank you for your service to our country.

My best advice is to test ride the three bikes you are considering. A bike that may feel perfect for me at my weight, height, riding style may be terrible for you.

Victory encourages test rides. They know that it is the best selling point.

I have heard good and bad about the XC. No one hates it but as with any bike they have things they nit pick about.

RobDog
12-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks. That is my exact plan with I hit the States. I have heard good things about the Cross Country. Can't wait to ride one. Take care.

diamondrmp
12-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I am going to SRVT next week. They just got one in. Hopefully I can test ride it and I will post a review.

mod451
12-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Get there fast,they only last about 2 hrs and sombody takes then home.:mad:

Joe:cool:

xcrider
12-15-2009, 11:03 AM
RobDog,
I picked up my XC on 11/7. Living in MA my ride time was limited due to the weather. I managed (with some cooperation from Mother Nature) to put about 400 miles on it before the snow fell. I'm coming from a VTX 1800. The XC handles like a dream. Very low COG. I'm 5' 10" w/ 32" inseam. I find the seating position to be extremely comfortable. Plenty of room to move feet around. Ride quality is much nicer than the X. Cornering is very easy, and begs to be ridden hard into the twisties. Power is plenty. Not quite the same as the X, but has more in the top end for touring (which is what Vic designed it for). The biggest complaint from most is the windshield and buffeting. I didn't find it to be too bad. Yes there is some buffeting, but I still think that lowers adjusted properly will take care of that.
Having ridden 400 miles, I am glad I bought the XC and can't wait for spring so I can ride some more.
Phil

BATMAN
12-18-2009, 05:38 AM
Just about the ONLY complaint I've heard, is the buffeting. But usually a taller or shorter windshield, and maybe lowers help with that issue. (both available for the Cross bikes)

CCRider
12-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I just rode my Black CC 200 miles in 55 deg. weather with my better half on the back and it was awesome! The bike was smooth (lacking a little in the low end though) and comfortable to ride. The only problems I have with it are the buffetting which is coming up from below the fairing and can be reduced somewhat by keeping your legs against the tank and the amount of reach required to make tight turns at slow speeds because of the handlebar design. Other than these two thiings this bike is wonderful!

R

P.S. I forgot to mention the lack of any security features for the bike. I suggest purchasing a disc lock if you aregoing to leave the bike alone for any length of time.

diamondrmp
12-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Congrats on your bike.

Others that have XC's have discovered the buffeting is NOT from under the fairing but from the low windscreen.

The bars are adjustable so you might be able to adjust the reach a bit.

CCRider
12-20-2009, 04:22 PM
I rode with the taller fairing when I test rode the bike and got the same buffeting. I noticed that when I pushed my legs out at 65+ mph the buffeting increased dramatically. I tried different head positions and got the same reaction. As far as the handle bars they only adjust up or down and do not take into account the arc they create because they are longer from the steerer tube than normal bars.

diamondrmp
12-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Very conflicting info from the others I've heard mention this. That sucks. I wonder if the buffeting is from design they added to the fairing for pushing water away from the riders hands?

CCRider
12-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I think it might have to do with the design of the crash bar. Some said that Victory already has deflectors available? Everything I've tried to order so far is on back order.

diamondrmp
12-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I like the crash bars but worried about them causing lift and putting the XC in flight. LOL

Hmmmmmm...removing them would tell for sure.

harry lehman
12-20-2009, 07:34 PM
just picked mine up friday., great bike, it does have buffeting, my opinion is its from low windshield. putting hand above windshield stops most of it. I will probably buy higher shield or a laminar lip if available I put one on my fjr and it worked great

12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Just about the ONLY complaint I've heard, is the buffeting. But usually a taller or shorter windshield, and maybe lowers help with that issue. (both available for the Cross bikes)

Sorry Batman. The tall windshield is in fact available; however, the two support brackets needed to attach the windshield is not.
Well, they are, but only the left brackets. They forgot to make one for the right side. Unfortunately, you need a left and right bracket to support the windshield. However, not to worry. The Victory people say it will only be a few more months before they can produce the right bracket. Hello, quality control. Seems they're working hard to get out next year's snowmobiles and ATVs.
I totally suggest separating Polaris and Victory motorcycles. Maybe then the quality control will improve.

harry lehman
12-21-2009, 09:55 PM
made 4 inch windshield extension out of lexan today, worked good, much less wind in face . lovethe bike so far

Chattanooga Mark
12-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Seems that buffeting effects a lot of bikes these days. Not sure why a wind tunnel tested and designed bike three years in the making would have a buffeting problem though. Oh well, so did my Moto Guzzi with the stock shield.

I've also read the low speed EFI is kind of disapointing as is the seat comfort. What do you Cross Country/Cross Roads owners think about the EFI and the stock seat?

Thank You,

Mark

harry lehman
01-01-2010, 09:27 PM
i have now put 550 miles on my cc seat is best stock seat i have set on . no problems with efi so far

mikeroark
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I hear this is a problem from some of you. Please tell me, what did you ride consistently just before you bought your Cross Country. I think I have the solution but, need to be sure.

harry lehman
01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
buffeting not bad with extended windshield but still has some ,I used to own a 2006 stratoliner s

01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
I am 5'11" and weigh 220 lbs., I own the xc and have the short windshield with NO buffeting problems; however, I do have the lowers. On all my bikes lowers have seemed to make the differance. I do experience more wind noise around my helmet. Hopefully when I finally get my taller windshield, the noise will quiet down.

RLB19
02-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Just got my new Cross Country out today and got 200 mile on it. The buffeting from the short windshield is bad for me at 5' 9". Just orderd a 13" windshield from:

http://ceebaileys.com/victory/victory_2010_ws.html

They have more height choices and less expensive than Polaris.

Love the ride and the handling of the bike. Can't wait to get the break in miles on so I can get out there and open it up.

mod451
02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
My Cross Country just came in todayclap,but i have to wait for warmer weather and less snow.I did order the taller wind sheild,and lowers,so i can ck to see how they both work. The dealer should have every thing installed in a couple days

Joe:cool:

mjw930
02-25-2010, 09:36 PM
I am 5'11" and weigh 220 lbs., I own the xc and have the short windshield with NO buffeting problems; however, I do have the lowers. On all my bikes lowers have seemed to make the differance. I do experience more wind noise around my helmet. Hopefully when I finally get my taller windshield, the noise will quiet down.

Just got my new Cross Country out today and got 200 mile on it. The buffeting from the short windshield is bad for me at 5' 9". Just orderd a 13" windshield from:

http://ceebaileys.com/victory/victory_2010_ws.html

They have more height choices and less expensive than Polaris.

Love the ride and the handling of the bike. Can't wait to get the break in miles on so I can get out there and open it up.

Ok, I'm 5'9" and there's movement with the short shield but it's bearable. Considering everyone I know who rides this bike that's more than 5'10" has less issues than me indicates it's not that the shield is too short, it's that it's too tall if you want wind in your face or too short if you want a touring ride for someone 5'9" tall because you get only the dirty air hitting your helmet, not the cleaner air from above the shield. The clean air will hold your head in place and buffer the dirty air if you're taller.

As for the lowers, they don't do a thing for head buffeting on an XC. Take them off and you'll see (I have them and have ridden with them on and off, no difference).

I also have the factory tall shield and I cold smoke a cigarette behind it so the buffeting is simply a matter of shield height.

BTW, for me, with the stock shields the Harley Street Glide and Road Glide are far more uncomfortable than the XC. The wind management on the Street Glide without a taller shield and faring wings is unbearable, so bad I returned the rental bike early because I wasn't enjoying the ride.

03-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Just an update. The tall windshield and the lowers have eliminated the buffeting and the wind noise. I can hear my xm radio at 80 mph and have no problems at all with handeling issues. With over 2,000 miles logged, my xc is proving to be a great ride. Just waiting for saddlebag guard rails and a top trunk with speakers, brake lights and antena mount to complete this great bike. Might also be nice to have dual highway/passing lights left and right of the main headlight to provide additional visibility. See ya on the road.

Nodnarb
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Just an update. The tall windshield and the lowers have eliminated the buffeting and the wind noise. I can hear my xm radio at 80 mph and have no problems at all with handeling issues. With over 2,000 miles logged, my xc is proving to be a great ride. Just waiting for saddlebag guard rails and a top trunk with speakers, brake lights and antena mount to complete this great bike. Might also be nice to have dual highway/passing lights left and right of the main headlight to provide additional visibility. See ya on the road.

TOP, how tall are you? I'm 6' and the top of the tall windshield is right in my line of sight. That's what I'm running now with crazy wind buffeting above 60mph. Around here you can't get on the freeway without going 80mph and the buffeting gets ridiculous at that speed. I'm planning a 4 day trip to southern utah and want to get this ironed out before I go.
I guess my question is where is the top of the tall windshield when you're looking forward? Are you looking through the glass, over it or right at the top like me?

Thanks

MilwDave
05-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I got my first opportunity to ride the CC this past weekend. I am 6' 4" with a 35" inseam. The bike I rode had the tall windshield and clear lowers. I rode for a 1/2 hour on both country roads and the freeway at speeds up to 90 mph. I experienced very little buffeting on my ride. The riders that rode the short windshield CC said they experienced buffeting.

For comparison I ride a Stratoliner with a Rifle shield and Buck's Lowers and they were very similiar as far as buffeting. The Vision I also rode had almost no buffeting at all with the windshield raised to full height.

Both are very nice bikes. They don't have the power and torque of the Strat's 113 engine but they sure are nicer than the HDs I've ridden lately. I could easily live with the CC's power and loved the 6th gear on the freeway.

JShoot
06-13-2010, 09:18 PM
thumb upMy wife and I picked up our new CC about 3 weeks ago. We have been really amazed at the comfort of this bike. We added the taller windshield and the Stage 1 performance kit to the bike. Our first trip on the bike was 920 miles round trip in 3 days and never once got tired or uncomfortable on the bike. I have owned mostly sportbikes, a VTX 1800, and one Harley. The CC is by far the most comfortable bike I've owned.

J.Shoot