Gas Mileage? [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Gas Mileage?

johncutt
02-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I just had the 500 mile service completed on my Cross Roads, no problems, everything was OK. Just wondering what others are getting for gas mileage. I have the stage 1 exhaust kit, and the dealer did the fuel remapping, and I got 30 mpg, then 32 mpg, and finally 33 mpg on my first three fill ups.

diamondrmp
02-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I believe like a car the mileage gets better as the motor breaks in.

johncutt
02-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Just filled up after a 150 mile trip, mostly highway, and I'm now getting 40 MPG.....

xrider
06-24-2010, 07:36 PM
i did 3000 miles through the black hills on a new xc 45.4

goose20
07-16-2010, 07:36 PM
My Vison was gettine 45. After a long trip, it started getting 38.

Sean Edmunds
07-17-2010, 12:20 AM
I have been up in the 45 to 49 range over the last 1100 miles. (The only 1100 miles on my bike :D).

I must drive like a grandpa I guess. And at only 36 OUCH!!!!:ltr:

metalguy
07-17-2010, 02:21 AM
My Vision would consistantly get 45. It is now on consignment so I can buy a cr.-----Metalguy;)

gulliverstoe
07-17-2010, 07:50 AM
I just had the 500 mile service completed on my Cross Roads, no problems, everything was OK. Just wondering what others are getting for gas mileage. I have the stage 1 exhaust kit, and the dealer did the fuel remapping, and I got 30 mpg, then 32 mpg, and finally 33 mpg on my first three fill ups.

man you must be twisting...and i thought i was too...but i seem to be getting i the high 40s..also mapped....(2010Xcountry)

XC Girl
07-17-2010, 11:28 PM
We just got back from a 1000 mile ride. Hot, hot, hot. Hills, towns, backroads. My XC averaged 48.8 over the course of the trip. LOVE my new bike:

wesdalton
07-22-2010, 07:32 AM
I have 4500 miles on my XC. It has been getting 45 mpg consistently.
At 3800 miles I had my dealer install the stage 1 kit including the new air cleaner and flashing the computer. On the first tank after the stage 1 install I got around 42 mpg on my last tank it got 38 mpg. I hope that I either didn't fill it to the top before the last tank,or something, because the slight power increase of the stage 1 is not worth the loss of 7 mpg. I will keep an eye on it and if it continues, I will sell the stage one kit.:mad:

pdsmith
07-24-2010, 10:39 AM
My initial 500 mile break-in period average 48.7 mpg.

CrossRoads
10-04-2010, 03:56 PM
You all probably know this, but I'll state it anyways, just in case. There will be a substantial difference in mpg measured according to the temperature of the gasoline at the time you fill up. By the way, before anybody rips my head off, by substantial I mean somewhere around 5mpg variance. The bigger the difference in temperature between morning and afternoon in the area you live, the bigger the difference in gas mileage. If you live in the desert, the difference in temperature between early morning and late afternoon is greatest.

Main Statement
Expect better mpg if you filled up in the early morning hours, in cold temperature, than if you filled up in the late afternoon or early evening, when the fuel at the gas station is somewhat warmer.

The Reason?
Fuel pumps have a strict volumetric measurement by which you get charged on your purchase. Volume of gasoline will change (smaller at cold temperature, larger at high temperature). So the same weight of fuel will have a different volume - however, when your bike (or car for that matter) burns that fuel, it comes down to the weight of it - or specifically, to the number of molecules available to burn.

In Conclusion
Buy your gas when it's cold, and avoid filling up your tank with hot gasoline. If you're a skeptic, try it out. Measure your MPG and keep track of outside temperature when your tank was filled up. This might help clarify part of why someone's getting better mpg than someone else. Of course, a bunch of other factors come in play, like weight of rider and passenger, the nature of the roads you're conquering, how close you are to old ladies or speed demons when it comes to twisting that throttle, and more.

Ride safe, and try cold gasoline if you haven't yet! :-)

dirtdobber
10-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Something else to consider. The cross roads has a windshield that has more drag than the cross country which actually has a windscreen.
When on my trip last month I ran into a lot of rain and raised my windscreen as far up as it would go on my Goldwing. Normally I keep it all the way down. Several inches difference. I dropped 5 mpg but was dry and comfortable.

My first tank on my cc was 48.9 and the second was 54.2 mpg.
I am a very conservative rider. I rarely play but do sometimes.
There are a lot of factors involved in mpg. :I agree: with filling up in the morning and yes it does make a difference.
Riding style, E10 fuel or pure fuel with no E10, area, mountains, etc...
I rarely get above 2,500 rpm's on any of my bikes unless on the interstate or divided highway
I use pure fuel, no E10 unless there is no choice. We have Pure, Texaco, Exxon that does not contain E10 in my area. Also if the temps drop below 55 degrees my mpg drops

just a thought
dd

BBob
10-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Just to add; I was getting around 35 up to the time I put 900 miles on the clock on my JP. Then I started getting around 40 mpg. I think some of it was simply not having as much fun with the throttle and also the engine getting broke in.

The JP does have the stage 2 cams and is supposed to be a hot rod rather than a touring bike like the CC and CR though.

white_bear
10-05-2010, 09:27 AM
This mpg stuff is a concern of mine. I know that riding/driving a bike is very subjective, so mpgs can be a lot different. What gets me is there are folks trying to get good (high) mpgs and do not get it. I am concerned about a XC bike that can vary from low 30's to high 40's from so many different riders.

Is this an assembly quality control issue by Victory? I don't know. I like the XC. I want the XC. I worry about mpg-variance, quirky or non-existent dealers, and wierd problems you hear about the '11-trans.

I would think hard before giving up my current ride to get some of these problems. (My current ride is med to high 50's.) I would not jump to the HD camp, but I wouldn't join Vic either. I'd stagnate with my $20K going unspent.

Comments?

eta moya dva rubles

BBob
10-05-2010, 09:37 AM
White Bear: I haven't heard of any problems with the new trans. Can you elaborate on that a bit? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. I found the info you're talking about on another forum and it looks like it's mostly a dealer prep issue and not an issue with the quality or manufacture of the bike.

I had a bit of noise from the back end of my JP when I got it. It just needed a small bit of adjustment on the belt. My guess is they set them tight expecting them to loosen up into the correct tension. In this case it might have been set a hair too tight.

I will be test riding the 2011 XC next month. I'll be very careful to listen to the trans and other possible issues.

Also; what kind of bike do you ride that gets in the high 50's mpg?

IronHorseman
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
This mpg stuff is a concern of mine. I know that riding/driving a bike is very subjective, so mpgs can be a lot different. What gets me is there are folks trying to get good (high) mpgs and do not get it. I am concerned about a XC bike that can vary from low 30's to high 40's from so many different riders.

Is this an assembly quality control issue by Victory? I don't know. I like the XC. I want the XC. I worry about mpg-variance, quirky or non-existent dealers, and wierd problems you hear about the '11-trans.

I would think hard before giving up my current ride to get some of these problems. (My current ride is med to high 50's.) I would not jump to the HD camp, but I wouldn't join Vic either. I'd stagnate with my $20K going unspent.

Comments?

eta moya dva rubles

I think riding style has a lot to do with it.

white_bear
10-05-2010, 03:39 PM
For BBob:
On another forum:

Trans problems:
http://******.net/forums/display_topic/id_5944/
http://******.net/forums/display_topic/id_5859/
Really, we only hear about problems with a "few" bikes - not the others that seem to be fine. In Vic parlance, a few is a lot of bikes IMHO. A "few" bikes in HD parlance is a drop in the bucket number-wise. One guy is getting rid of his XC because neither the dealer nor Polaris has come up with any explaination/fix for the noises he has. Get my drift?

Crossroads: I don't buy into the different weight, riding style as much as may be implied. I do not weigh 350, nor 150. I am in the just under 200 weight (road hugging weight I should remind you!) class. Wind resistance will be a semi-constant, as will wrist activity. In theory, the fairing is supposed to help wind management, not goof it up. Travel speed will alter expectations, also. Another dude I know has a heavy 1600 (non-Vic) and gets in the low 40's - I ride the same way, but a bit slower, and get the same - or close. There is not a 10-15mpg difference. Some new owners/XC folks have reported up to a 20 mpg difference. Sounds fishy to me.

For all: One thing I have done is scribe a mark on the filler tank roundy-thing-whatever and always fill the bike up to the same visual perceived level. I can't think that the temp would affect 3-4 gallons that much, but I could be wrong. Where is a physicist or chemist when you need one! Sheesh! Idaho is stuck with these nuclear atomic folks who haven't a clue about the real world or Walmart.

A very interesting observation is that with a windshield or fairing you will hear more of the "mechanical noise associated with about 400 metal parts moving" 3 inches under your butt. It is certainly a thought to consider.

eta moya dva rubles

BBob
10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
WB: That's the same guy with the same story on the *** forum. He just goes by a different name. It's a bit suspect because he does not name the dealer. Even if his story is true; he's just one. He states that with the windshield he hears more noise. Well duh! Everyone does. I think he's got a bad case of buyers remorse and just wants a reason to get out of it. Or maybe he just wants to bad mouth Victory.

I did a lot of research on Vic's before I bought one and I have no regrets at all. They are a solid machine. The only real problem I have is keeping the speed under the sound barrier. :D

CrossRoads
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
There is not a 10-15mpg difference. Some new owners/XC folks have reported up to a 20 mpg difference. Sounds fishy to me.

Let's break it down and see what is reasonable, for theoretical discussion's sake.
Buying Cold/Warm Gas: +/- 5mpg (I get as much as 15mpg difference on my 200cc scoot, that has a 2.4gal tank, and goes from 52mpg to 67mpg, to work and back, fuel temperature being the only variable).
Weight of rider: +/- 2mpg
Riding Conditions: +/- 3mpg
Throttle Gentleness: +/- 3mpg

Which of these do you find unrealistic, and by how much?

One extreme rider (add all pluses) would get 13mpg more than another extreme rider (add all minuses). Not to mention we're not even considering what gasoline goes in, if the bike's broken in or not, the speed the miles are traveled at, the accuracy of each rider's recording method, the climate the bike's ridden in, etc.

dirtdobber
10-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Huh?:ltr::nanana:

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Filled up this morning, and since this is the 2nd full tank of gas I've put it, I was able to calculate my mpg for the first full tank. I've used 4.062 gallons, and traveled 152.6mi, which indicates a 37.57mpg. Considering this was on the first full tank, and that I did not coast with it at all (was constantly accelerating/decelerating for break-in purposes), I can say I am very pleased as I've expected to start in the low 30's. thumb up

The Boring Details: - I'm 180lb, ridden solo, in various traffic conditions, under constant acceleration (up to 4200-4300 RPM) and deceleration as part of my break-in schedule. Used 91 Octane, Chevron gas, filled up at 68F ambient temp.

stevie3x
11-05-2010, 05:48 PM
don't have an XC / XR bike but i can confirm that mileage does improve around 1500 miles, also no one has mentioned tire pressure here, tire psi should be checked ideally every fill up, but most of us check them each morning before riding out. also I personally give them the once over as for psi & objects in the tires at each fill up and when taking a break for food, rest stops, etc.

steve

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I run 36psi and 38psi for front and rear, and I check it at least once a week, and at most every other day. And you're right, tire inflation is very important.

dirtdobber
11-05-2010, 10:31 PM
If I checked my tires every time I stopped for fuel that could range from once a day to 4 times a day. Guess it depends in how much ya ride.

I check mine every time the bike is rode. Which is almost every day.

Don't ride in snow/ice when water is on the roadway and it's going to freeze before I get where I am going, or storms. Rain no problem, Cold no problem.

I have a bike for every season. Winter, it's the Goldwing, summer/spring/fall the VTX/Ultra Classic/XC.

Come to think of it need to think about 1 for monsoon weather.

just kidding

It is very important to keep a check on the psi in the tires.

Power an fuel mileage will climb as soon as 1,500 miles but the real change takes place between 4,000 to 5,000 miles depends on the bike.

Oh I got 51.4 on my first tank of fuel

I now average around 44 to 46 mpg at 1,000+ miles
just a thought

dd

CrossRoads
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
dd, you rode like a granny on your first tank, didn't you? thumb up

Paul M
11-06-2010, 01:52 PM
BBob...agree...My Vic is a great ride...My dealer sucks big time but that's his issue and not the Bike....I recently sent him a Reg letter as he doesn't respond to e-mail or return calls anymore(why should he, he already sold me the bike) I also forwarded a copy to Polaris Hindquarters....I told them if I wanted to be ignored after the sale that I would have bought a Hardly Dangerous bike......

dirtdobber
11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
dd, you rode like a granny on your first tank, didn't you? thumb up

Through of many many bikes I do 1 thing that I have done for so many years I do not remember not doing it.
The first 100 miles I keep the rpm's down to 2,500 after than I keep it below 3,000. I change the rpm's by 300-500 every 5 to 10 miles.
The first tank I did feel like I was so old I needed a walking stick to stay on the bike :ltr:
Up to 1,000 miles I keep it below 5,000 rpm's. After that it's ride time.
Can't say it helps but I can say I have hit over 100,000 miles on a couple of my bikes which 1 was a 94 HD tourglide. Traded it in 07 with 141,000 miles on the clock. The bottom end was never touched. Top end -valves/seals were replaced once.

2 excite bikes in every way will have different mpg's. Rider habits, fuel types. types of riding-interstate,2 lane roads- all play a part in the equation. My cousin and I have GL1800's and I always get better mileage than he does even when we are riding the same roads and together.
Quick take offs will kill mpg. Not using the cc will also cause a mpg drop in most cases. I live on a mountain and and can get better fuel mileage if I go down the mountain and fuel up in the valley after riding but I will lose 1-2 mpg if I ride up the mountain and fuel up. I always fuel in the mornings on a trip. You will gain some even if it is slight. On the TOT ride from Chattanooga, TN. to OK. I average around 49-51 mpg on my Goldwing. After leaving or finishing the ride it drops to 42-45 mpg..

I am a conservative rider mostly so I am use to getting good mileage but when I play I always say my mileage will suck on this tank. Usually it does.
If am maintaining 40 mpg on any of my bikes I am good.

dd

CrossRoads
11-07-2010, 01:38 PM
The first tank I did feel like I was so old I needed a walking stick to stay on the bike :ltr:

Better safe than sorry. You're a good example for younger riders like me. :)

johncutt
11-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Quick update on my mileage here in Seattle. I now have 6700 miles and almost every tank is averaging 38mpg, with 50% city, 50% highway driving. On touring trips I get up to 45 mpg (usually two up)