Buffeting Issues?? [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Buffeting Issues??

royal star
02-20-2010, 07:02 AM
I have been reading allot about the buffeting coming from the cross Country windscreen? I have not yet to be able to ride my new bike due to living in Minnesota. But I loaded up my bike yesterday and took it Mitchel South Dakota To Klock Werks They are a custom bike builder & After market parts company. They are big into bagger Harley's. They have developed windshields for many bikes dealing with the buffeting and improving the air coming off the front of the bike. They also redirect some of the air to increase down force on the front ends at high speeds. They know allot about bikes at high speeds due to his wife laura holding a land speed records on Victory's at the great salt lakes.
They are great people to work with and they are going to use my bike to develop a windscreen to fix this problem. Wile its there we are going to do some customizing and paint the bike ( I'm so excited, I feel like one of the pointer sisters) some of you young folks wont get that. nanana
I will keep this post updated and we will post photos as the project comes along we have a couple of months till we can ride so its going to get busy.
I would love to hear any idea's that you guys would do to your bikes if you were going to customize yours. What works & What does not.
Klock Werks will be at Daytona so stop by and check out their stuff and bikes. Brian is the boss. or check them out on line at www.kustombaggers.com

diamondrmp
02-20-2010, 08:49 AM
A lot of people are finding out its not just the windscreen but the bike needs lowers.

Cee has new windscreens for the X bikes now. I think with Klok Works downforce design (I read all about this once) that will be a great way to go.

randyyo
02-21-2010, 05:06 PM
If the forks are 43 mm like they say Rifle has some lowers that will probably work.
I have an email into them to see if they have specific ones for the Cross bikes yet.
go to www.rifle.com and check it out.

mjw930
02-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Lowers won't do a thing for the air hitting your head, I know, I have them. The notch in the windshield solves the low pressure area that lowers usually help on. The buffeting is just the result of ONLY dirty air hitting your head and not the rest of your body. The tall shield eliminates all the buffeting but it's hard to get past the looks, it kills the lines.

I just got the 11" and 13" Cee Bailey shields to see which work the best while still letting me see over it. I suspect the 11" for me @ 5'9" tall but people in the 6' range would probably want to 13" or even 15" to get it tall enough to throw the air over your head and clear up the buffeting.

BTW, the buffeting with the stock shield is no where near as bad as on a stock H-D Street or Road Glide with their stock shields so it's all relative.

dmello
05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
I have the same issue on my CC. Should I get the 11 inch shield. I'm 5'9" tall also.

It was so bad the other day it blew my sunglasses off!!

I'm sure Victory knew about the problem but figured it looked better with the smaller windshield. Now they can resell new windshields.

schumacher
05-15-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm 6'1", and I personally don't think it's that big of a problem. Doesn't bother me any at least.

dmello
05-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Schumacher that's may be because your driving a different bike. I'm driving the Cross Country not the Cross Roads. Different windshields.

Sundog
05-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I think it's a bike issue also. I'm 5'10", have the Xroads with the standard shield and have no problem whatsoever. The owner of the local dealership told me alot of folks who bought the Xcountry are having buffeting and wind problems to the point where they cannot even hear the sound system when on the highway. While a taller windshield would likely help, he thought the shape of the fairing may also contribute to the problem. I think its a pain in the butt to have to buy a taller shield after out you just shelled out alot of coin for a new bike that was supposedly wind tunnel tested.

schumacher
05-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I see that now, my bad :o

wesdalton
06-01-2010, 11:20 PM
13" Cee baileys windshield Victory factory lowers (kind of pricey)
no problems at all with no helmet. very little buffeting with 1/2 helmet (none untill 75 MPH). Full helmet buffeting starts to be a minor annoyance @ 65 MPH. I just ordered the kewlmetal winglets to mount on top of the bars and fully expect that to take care of the remaining buffeting. 5'9" tall.

kevinx
06-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Get the winglets from Kewlmetal, and virtually all of the head shake, and turbulance will be eliminated

The Blue Knight
06-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Hi everyone. I been riding my new XC for well over 2 weeks and just today brought her in for her 500 mile service.

In the last 2 weeks, I have rode the bike on 3 different windy days at highway speeds.

I guess being vertically challenged (I am 5'05") does have it's advantages. With only the stock windshield, I have had NO buffetting issues whatsoever and can hear the radio just fine. I've taken her up to around 80-85 mph, and as mentioned, rode it on windy days with no issues.

For once in my life, I am happy to be short.

The Blue Knight :cool:

rek58
06-06-2010, 09:40 PM
I've noticed, when my feet are up on the hiway pegs, it feels like my legs are acting as a lower wind brace. Will be doing some highway riding this coming weekend and will see what happens. Just have the stock windshield and my get a taller one shortly, after reading what others have written.

Pass
06-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Has anyone tried adding a neck cowl / air damn / air baffle? Been reading a LOT of buffetting threads on the XC and found that a lot of people complain of dirty air coming UP from the fork area. This can change the pressure system behind the fairing and cause issues.

These air baffles tend to either be installed under the triple tree or between the forks under the tree to prevent air flowing from between the forks to the back-side of the fairing. I've seen this solve numerous air pressure issues on fairing and windwhielded bikes.

If someone can post a photo of the downward angle (through front of fairing - like you're trying to see the ground from behind the fairing) and an upward from the ground to the underside of the fairing and triple tree I'll be able to see if you already have one or if there might be a way to modify the ones for other bikes to put on the XC.

Just a thought, fellas.

diamondrmp
06-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, read the response from KevinX. There is the answer!!!!

Pass
06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Hey guys, read the response from KevinX. There is the answer!!!!

That seems to be what everyone is doing. Adding a 13" windshield and the Kewlmetal wings. I'm just wondering if adding an air baffel would cure it instead of adding the wings and such. It's merely a curiosity... Especially if many people don't like the look of the wings and/or a taller windshield.

wesdalton
06-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Get the winglets from Kewlmetal, and virtually all of the head shake, and turbulance will be eliminated

If you have installed the victory factory lowers don't buy the winglets they don't make any improvement at all over the lowers. I assume they make a difference without the factory lowers, but I had already installed the lowers. The winglets made 0 improvement. If you want to buy the winglets I will sell mine for $25.00

The Wasp
06-20-2010, 10:58 PM
I paid alot of money for this bike and when I cruise above 65mph, the wind buffeting just about blows the bike over. I bought lower deflectors (waste of money) which didn't help, removed the windshield which also didn't help. The wind seems to be coming from the triple tree or the cowl is creating a tuburlence or the saddlebags are just to big and block the air. I am sure that Victory knows the reason but u won't get an answer from them or the dealer

wesdalton
06-21-2010, 06:59 AM
I paid alot of money for this bike and when I cruise above 65mph, the wind buffeting just about blows the bike over. I bought lower deflectors (waste of money) which didn't help, removed the windshield which also didn't help. The wind seems to be coming from the triple tree or the cowl is creating a tuburlence or the saddlebags are just to big and block the air. I am sure that Victory knows the reason but u won't get an answer from them or the dealer

13" Cee Baileys Windshield, Vic Lowers, Quite acceptable. I don't get any wind from below or through the triple tree. At speeds above 70 with a helmet I get wind over the windshield. I just ordered a 15" Cee Baileys, I am sure that will elimate any more problem. I guess if we want 0 wind ride in a cager.:(

diamondrmp
06-21-2010, 01:08 PM

If you are that unhappy with the bike I'll give you $10.00 to take it off your hands!!:ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:

NHXC
06-21-2010, 04:35 PM

How are the kewlmetal winglets installed?

FrankXC
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm with you, The Wasp. I too, paid a lot of money for this bike and I am very disappointed that I cannot ride it comfortably due to severe buffeting issues. I am investing a lot of time / money to try and make this bike work, and not enough time enjoying it. A brand new $20k motorcycle built for cruising/touring should not have this severe of an issue. In addition, I'm annoyed by the solution that Victory engineers suggested to Arlen Ness...buy the taller wind shield and lowers. In other words, spend another $1000 to get the bike to perform the way it should have in the first place. Not acceptable, plus the taller wind shield only minimizes the buffeting, and the lowers don't seem to help much at all.

I'm 5'7" 160 lbs and ride with an ARAI full face helmet. The buffeting at speeds above 60 mph is so bad that my eyeballs feel like they are being shaken in my skull like the ball in a spray paint can. I rode a 2008 Harley Nightster with no windshield before this bike and had no issues with being blown around by wind, but buffeting is a different story, it bangs my head around and is very uncomfortable. Even highway signs are blurry because my eyes are vibrating.

I've traced the air (while riding) and believe the problem is coming from under the fairing, which swings air up against my body and distrubs the clean air flowing by my helmet creating the buffeting. I'm working with the Arlen Ness dealer to try and eliminate it, but so far, no luck. These are the things we've tried:

1) Ride with no wind shield: All this does is lower the dirty air hitting my helmet from above my helmet visor to below the visor.

2) Lowers from a Kingpin: I have these on the bike now and just rode 460 miles in 2 days. They do not seem to make a difference.

3) I bought the taller Victory wind shield. This does help somewhat. It has pushed the dirty air to the top of my helmet, so that my head is not in direct line with the dirty air. This reduces the buffeting, but does not eliminate it. The downside is, you have to look through the windshield full time, and it can be hot in the summer.

4) We tried retrofitting a 1" lip on the stock windshield to flip the air up higher. This made the buffeting worse.

6) I tried riding with a half-helmet, and this made the buffeting much more tolerable than with a full-face helmet, but I don't want to ride with a half-helmet, and I shouldn't have to.

7) We tried blocking the hole in front of the windshield. This had no effect.

8) The most effective solution so far is resting my legs on top of the highway bars. This pretty much eliminates the buffeting and makes the ride nice and quiet. Unfortunately, it's hard to figure out what modification would be needed to replicate this situation, since I won't be riding with my legs extended alont the sides of the fuel tank.

I haven't tried the winglets from Kewlmetal because (1) I don't like the way they look, and (2) others have said they make no additional improvements over the stock lowers. Since the lowers didn't help me, I'm assuming the winglests won't do much either.

I am working on fabricating wind deflectors out of card board to install on the bottom part of the fairing to hopefully deflect air flow lower. I have to finish this project and do the road test.

I noticed Harley and some after market places make wind deflectors for the Street Glide to resolve a similar issue. I wish one of these companies would fabricate something for the XC. One of the issues with doing so is that the shape of the highway bar will restrict how low the deflectors can be. Otherwise, when the wheel is fully turned, the deflectors would hit the highway bars. http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/Wind-Deflectors-1318-plist.html

For those XC riders who are having this issue and feel as strongly as I do about it, please send me an email. Strength in numbers...maybe we can put together a formal petition and get Victory to resolve the buffeting issue on this otherwise great motorcycle! The bike should not have been released for sale with this issue.

frankie.piz@gmail.com

wesdalton
06-21-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm with you, The Wasp. I too, paid a lot of money for this bike and I am very disappointed that I cannot ride it comfortably due to severe buffeting issues. I am investing a lot of time / money to try and make this bike work, and not enough time enjoying it. A brand new $20k motorcycle built for cruising/touring should not have this severe of an issue. In addition, I'm annoyed by the solution that Victory engineers suggested to Arlen Ness...buy the taller wind shield and lowers. In other words, spend another $1000 to get the bike to perform the way it should have in the first place. Not acceptable, plus the taller wind shield only minimizes the buffeting, and the lowers don't seem to help much at all.

I'm 5'7" 160 lbs and ride with an ARAI full face helmet. The buffeting at speeds above 60 mph is so bad that my eyeballs feel like they are being shaken in my skull like the ball in a spray paint can. I rode a 2008 Harley Nightster with no windshield before this bike and had no issues with being blown around by wind, but buffeting is a different story, it bangs my head around and is very uncomfortable. Even highway signs are blurry because my eyes are vibrating.

I've traced the air (while riding) and believe the problem is coming from under the fairing, which swings air up against my body and distrubs the clean air flowing by my helmet creating the buffeting. I'm working with the Arlen Ness dealer to try and eliminate it, but so far, no luck. These are the things we've tried:

1) Ride with no wind shield: All this does is lower the dirty air hitting my helmet from above my helmet visor to below the visor.

2) Lowers from a Kingpin: I have these on the bike now and just rode 460 miles in 2 days. They do not seem to make a difference.

3) I bought the taller Victory wind shield. This does help somewhat. It has pushed the dirty air to the top of my helmet, so that my head is not in direct line with the dirty air. This reduces the buffeting, but does not eliminate it. The downside is, you have to look through the windshield full time, and it can be hot in the summer.

4) We tried retrofitting a 1" lip on the stock windshield to flip the air up higher. This made the buffeting worse.

6) I tried riding with a half-helmet, and this made the buffeting much more tolerable than with a full-face helmet, but I don't want to ride with a half-helmet, and I shouldn't have to.

7) We tried blocking the hole in front of the windshield. This had no effect.

8) The most effective solution so far is resting my legs on top of the highway bars. This pretty much eliminates the buffeting and makes the ride nice and quiet. Unfortunately, it's hard to figure out what modification would be needed to replicate this situation, since I won't be riding with my legs extended alont the sides of the fuel tank.

I haven't tried the winglets from Kewlmetal because (1) I don't like the way they look, and (2) others have said they make no additional improvements over the stock lowers. Since the lowers didn't help me, I'm assuming the winglests won't do much either.

I am working on fabricating wind deflectors out of card board to install on the bottom part of the fairing to hopefully deflect air flow lower. I have to finish this project and do the road test.

I noticed Harley and some after market places make wind deflectors for the Street Glide to resolve a similar issue. I wish one of these companies would fabricate something for the XC. One of the issues with doing so is that the shape of the highway bar will restrict how low the deflectors can be. Otherwise, when the wheel is fully turned, the deflectors would hit the highway bars. http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/Wind-Deflectors-1318-plist.html

For those XC riders who are having this issue and feel as strongly as I do about it, please send me an email. Strength in numbers...maybe we can put together a formal petition and get Victory to resolve the buffeting issue on this otherwise great motorcycle! The bike should not have been released for sale with this issue.

frankie.piz@gmail.com

I am amazed. I have the same bike and I have solved the buffeting problem by 95%. It is definitely worse with a full face helmet. I wonder if maybe a different ff helmet would be better. I am very happy with my XC. The Vic Lowers worked GREAT on my bike. I have went over 1500 Freeway miles on the bike at speeds between 75-85 MPH. No buffeting without a helmet. Very small (acceptable) buffeting with 1/2 helmet. I have the 15" Cee Baileys windshield on order, I expect that will make the bike fine with the full face helmet. All of the dirty air I am getting is definitely coming from above the windshield!! If you can't make yours work at lease it is a bike that is in alot of demand. sell it and see if you can find something that will satisfy you. And by the way didn't you ride it before you purchased it? Or did the buffeting just grow after you got it home?:ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:

FrankXC
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I am amazed. I have the same bike and I have solved the buffeting problem by 95%. It is definitely worse with a full face helmet. I wonder if maybe a different ff helmet would be better. I am very happy with my XC. The Vic Lowers worked GREAT on my bike. I have went over 1500 Freeway miles on the bike at speeds between 75-85 MPH. No buffeting without a helmet. Very small (acceptable) buffeting with 1/2 helmet. I have the 15" Cee Baileys windshield on order, I expect that will make the bike fine with the full face helmet. All of the dirty air I am getting is definitely coming from above the windshield!! If you can't make yours work at lease it is a bike that is in alot of demand. sell it and see if you can find something that will satisfy you. And by the way didn't you ride it before you purchased it? Or did the buffeting just grow after you got it home?:ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:

Actually, no, I rode the Cross roads and ordered the cross country based on that.

badbagger
06-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I think you can get a shield to high and then the wind starts being a problem from the bottom . I have a +2 with flip on my xc and love it .
gustafsson plastics makes one

NHXC
06-22-2010, 08:44 AM
I think you can get a shield to high and then the wind starts being a problem from the bottom . I have a +2 with flip on my xc and love it .
gustafsson plastics makes one

Is the gustafsson +2 easy to install? Are there holes matched up to the stock windshield or do you have to drill them?

badbagger
06-22-2010, 04:47 PM
you have to drill them which is easy, just take your time and get the right drill bits from him .

NHXC
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
How does the Gustafsson look on the bike?

badbagger
06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
the shield looks good even my hd friends like it .
you can see some pics on his web sight

partycrasher
06-22-2010, 07:19 PM
i have read that the lowers will solve the vast majority of the problem. Rather than changing windshield, one should consider starting there.

partycrasher
07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
i was surprised to see that the kewlmetal winglets are only $35. Has anyone installed them and can give a direct opinion as the whether that make the turbulance go away? Doesn't look like there is much to them......how do they resolve the dirty air from below problem???

wesdalton
07-01-2010, 07:30 AM
i was surprised to see that the kewlmetal winglets are only $35. Has anyone installed them and can give a direct opinion as the whether that make the turbulance go away? Doesn't look like there is much to them......how do they resolve the dirty air from below problem???

I installed them after I had installed the victory factory lowers. They made no difference. I have heard from others that they do help if you don't have the victory lowers on. I didn't like the looks of them nor did I like installing them only on the plastic top rails on the highway bars. It just seemed cheap looking and not durable. I have solved my buffeting problem completely with the use of a 15" Cee Baileys windshield, and the Victory Factory lower wind deflector's. I now have 3 windshields, the 9" stock, 13" Cee Baileys, and the 15" Cee Baileys. I use the 13" most of the time when it is hot, I do get some minor buffeting but it is tolerable. If I am going to go on a long ride, (several hundred miles,) or in the cold weather I will put the 15" windshield on. It only take 2 minutes to change the windshields.

diamondrmp
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Pretty interesting wesdalton. I've heard exactly opposite from a lot of other Xbike riders that say the winglets were the perfect solution.

wesdalton
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Pretty interesting wesdalton. I've heard exactly opposite from a lot of other Xbike riders that say the winglets were the perfect solution.

Yes I have found the buffeting problem to be quite a personal opinion. I don't know if it is different rider height, Helmet types and so forth. I do know that what seems to work for others haven't really helped me. As far as the winglets, I ran the bike two different times on the freeway and actually was trying to talk my self in to that they did help. I am quite sure that if I had not installed the Vic factory lowers they would have. I spent a lot of time on trying different angles on the vic lowers before I got them to do what I wanted. I know the 20-25 degree angle they recommend didn't work for me. I had more like a 35 - 45 degree angle. All of the buffeting I am getting with the 13" windshield is coming over the top of the shield. What small amount a get with the 15" shield seems to come from the side of the faring and the air gets dirty as it crosses my garmin gps mount on the handle bars. I also notice a change in the wind when I ride with the drivers backrest I assume because I sit up straighter. It is now my opinion that each will need to experiment to see what works best for them. I have spent a lot of time but now I am satisfied totally with the wind management on the XC:)

Now, if I could just find an easier way to put fuel in the bike. The Garmin GPS bracket is in the worst spot to remove the fuel nozel with out spilling fuel all over the bike. Oh Well I need something to complain aboutcheers

rking35209
07-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes I have found the buffeting problem to be quite a personal opinion. I don't know if it is different rider height, Helmet types and so forth. I do know that what seems to work for others haven't really helped me. As far as the winglets, I ran the bike two different times on the freeway and actually was trying to talk my self in to that they did help. I am quite sure that if I had not installed the Vic factory lowers they would have. I spent a lot of time on trying different angles on the vic lowers before I got them to do what I wanted. I know the 20-25 degree angle they recommend didn't work for me. I had more like a 35 - 45 degree angle. All of the buffeting I am getting with the 13" windshield is coming over the top of the shield. What small amount a get with the 15" shield seems to come from the side of the faring and the air gets dirty as it crosses my garmin gps mount on the handle bars. I also notice a change in the wind when I ride with the drivers backrest I assume because I sit up straighter. It is now my opinion that each will need to experiment to see what works best for them. I have spent a lot of time but now I am satisfied totally with the wind management on the XC:)

Now, if I could just find an easier way to put fuel in the bike. The Garmin GPS bracket is in the worst spot to remove the fuel nozel with out spilling fuel all over the bike. Oh Well I need something to complain aboutcheers
Not to hijack this thread, but I have found riding with the back rest is quiet uncomfortable due to the fact that even in its furthest back setting the back rest pushes me forward to the point that I'm almost on the tank. Are you having this problem?

randyyo
07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Most of my riding is highway.
Have 13 inch Cee Baileys windshield, used Rifle Windshield lower mount brakets (billet) and made my own lower shields.
Installed the Kewlmetal winglets today.
Still have buffeting.
I'm 6'1" with 34 inseam.
Not as bad as it was but still enough to shake my glasses.
If I strap my glasses on or wear goggles you do not feel it as much.
I made my own winglets and went on 7 day 4000Km trip last week and if my glasses were not strapped on I would have gone crazy.
The constant shaking is very annoying.
The only other thing I can think of is larger w/shield or go to the flip.
For me nothing seems to be working.
Waiting to hear back from Klock Werks.

randyyo
07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
One other note:
Other than the wind issue this bike is FANTASTIC:Dthumb up

The Wasp
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Partycrasher
I reinstalled my lower deflector on my XR and they are mounted flat to the front of biker (inline with the windshield) and this has reduced my dirty air buffering to about 90%. This buffeting pushed me side to side in my lane and sometimes out of my lane. I have the stock windshield but I don't like the way the bottom of the windshield is cut out . Looking at the Cee Bailey windshield it is all one continous windshield down to the bottom and I think that this would eliminate alot of the dirty air coming in. I was a little hesitant answering this forum because there are alot od a..holes who answer you and if u have anythiong negative to say about Victory's they go off the wall like baby's. I got a 1500 mile trek going at the end of the month to go back to Sturgis this year, so i want to be sure i got the bike right when I ride out there. Still riding after 40 years. Semper Fi

wesdalton
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I have found riding with the back rest is quiet uncomfortable due to the fact that even in its furthest back setting the back rest pushes me forward to the point that I'm almost on the tank. Are you having this problem?

I use the victory mount (that goes under the seat,) But the actual backrest and the shaft that goes into the the victory mount is a Mustang brand that I had used on my Suzuki C50. It has a angle or bend that goes to the rear of the bike. It also has a thumb screw that I can adjust it forward. I looked at the victory branded backrest and determined it would push me too far forward. On another forum i read, some of the people have taken the vic backrest and put it in a vise and put a bent in the stem similar to the one the mustang has in it. You can purchase a tongue from Mustang for $40.00 but I don't know if it is compatible with the victory pad.

CCvictory
07-02-2010, 08:32 AM

Rking,
When I had the Victory driver backrest installed, they installed it with the curve going forward and it pushed me forward and was uncomfortable...So I disassembled the pad from it, turned it around so the curve faced the rear of the bike, put it back together and it's absolutely perfect. Very comfortable to lean back on or I can sit up slightly and not have it touch me. Doesn't interfere with the passenger either...

xrider
07-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Completely flip it
its awsome atches the angle of the seat'

The Blue Knight
07-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Rking,
When I had the Victory driver backrest installed, they installed it with the curve going forward and it pushed me forward and was uncomfortable...So I disassembled the pad from it, turned it around so the curve faced the rear of the bike, put it back together and it's absolutely perfect. Very comfortable to lean back on or I can sit up slightly and not have it touch me. Doesn't interfere with the passenger either...

I concur. I did the same thing and it works!! I'm very comfortable now with the back seat rest.

Sean Edmunds
07-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Has anybody else e-mailed Klock Werks to see if they will make their Flare Windshield for th XC? I did this morning. I see that they make one for the Memphis Shades aftermarket fairing. I would not think it would be too big a deal for them to make it for the XC if they knew people were interested in it.

https://www.kustombaggers.com/inquiries/

randyyo
07-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I received an email from them last week.
Here it is.

Thank you for your interest in Klock Werks Kustom Cycles and for your interest in our Flare Windshield.

I have wonderful information for you Randy! We are currently working on a Victory Flare Windshield! We have prototypes now, and have started a callback list. I will put your information on the list, and we will contact you as soon as they are available.

rking35209
07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I think the fianal cose was somewhere around 25.00. I used Lexan vs the acrylic glass
http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/lower.html

CCvictory
07-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Has anyone tried the new Flip windshield from Victory for the Cross Country? Part number 2878174? Suppose to be 3" taller than stock...curious how well it works...

royal star
07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
it is a copy of the Klock werks design I have one of the klock werks prototypes and if you want a short windshield it works well but a taller one is better. I'm waiting for the next one.

zork52
09-05-2010, 10:11 AM

I'm going to try the lowers again today. I had taken them off as I was roasting with them.

I'm a former and maybe returning Jackpot rider. I've got no problems with wind. I like wind at least most of the time. I"m 5'7 with stock shield on my XC.

I also have the SRVT bars. My issue is at around 70mph and beyond I'm at least "perceiving" an "out of round" or wheel balance type issue vibration. It feels like the front wheel.

Everyone is saying it is a sensation mostly likely caused by wind turbulence. I have an early release 2011 in black.

I drove down to dealer on a very windy day with my XC.

I tried my old traded 2010 XR in black and of course it felt different w/o shield. Of course with the shield on it will dance in heavy winds as all shielded baggers would.

These X-bikes do transmit a lot of road feel. That's the price perhaps of the design and compromise for it's SIX star handling. No argument that it's handling isn't great.

Oddly enough, I tried out my old JP and maybe going back to one.

I've though about trying a Guff shield just to see. But I like air when it's hot out. I know when it's cold, blah blah.

THE JP in totally unconventional, makes no sense to most, but I fit in it well, and not really touring much. And being not so big or with bags does pretty good on the highway at speed.

There is no perfect bike, I tried owning two, the JP and the XR and got into some money issues, so had to go back to one and picked the XC.

Aside from being too hot on it, I just don't like it's behavior at upper highway speed.

OTHERS claim to ride at 100 for extended periods and it's smooth as silk.

I can't figure it out. I've never owned a fairing bike.

diamondrmp
09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I just read a comparison in the most recent Motorcyclist and they complained about the vibration on the XC.

They surmised it by saying the X bikes are playing catch up to the HD Street Glide.

So, the vibration is something you will have to live with.

I know that after all the rants from owners about the X bikes and the comparisons I've completely nixed the idea of trading in my JP and getting one. :(

wesdalton
09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I just read a comparison in the most recent Motorcyclist and they complained about the vibration on the XC.

They surmised it by saying the X bikes are playing catch up to the HD Street Glide.

So, the vibration is something you will have to live with.

I know that after all the rants from owners about the X bikes and the comparisons I've completely nixed the idea of trading in my JP and getting one. :(

Just got back from a 3k ride mostly on interstate. averaged 80-85 mph while on the interstate. NO VIBRATION, NO BUFFETING JUST A GREAT RIDE.
I just don't understand all the complaints about the X bikes. I have not made a lot of changes 15" Cee Baileys shield, Vic Lowers, Dyna Beads in the tires.

zork52
09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Just got back from a 3k ride mostly on interstate. averaged 80-85 mph while on the interstate. NO VIBRATION, NO BUFFETING JUST A GREAT RIDE.
I just don't understand all the complaints about the X bikes. I have not made a lot of changes 15" Cee Baileys shield, Vic Lowers, Dyna Beads in the tires.

Well I have the stock windshield. Maybe you CAN'T have a short windshield, which means you'll get no air in the summer and the bike will be fine.

Any Vic rider near me in N. Central Mass. is welcome to try mine.
978-343-3663 (cell) anytime.

The Wasp
09-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I put on the lowers when I went out to Sturgis and didn't have any problems with the wind or buffeting.At times I was doing 85-90 mph and bike handled ok. I wouldn't go faster because I keep thinking flat tire which must be a sign of maturity. LOL I didn't feel as though the lowers made the ride hotter but my problem is my bad back and I try to stretch my legs out up against the crash bars and by doing so, my legs are closer to the tank and engine and the heat rises right up into my thighs. This was my only real heat issue that made some rides uncomfortable. Now it it only hade AC hummm!

jgreg65
10-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I put on the lowers when I went out to Sturgis and didn't have any problems with the wind or buffeting.At times I was doing 85-90 mph and bike handled ok. I wouldn't go faster because I keep thinking flat tire which must be a sign of maturity. Now it it only hade AC hummm!

Wasp, which lowers did you have? ( And I have had a front tire blow out at 75 mph on my last bike a Fully Dressed Harley Electra Glide Classic at 850 LBS, can you say "DOUBLE SUMMER SALT" and ICU for 2 weeks then 8 months of recovery ) Its gonna take a while before I'm back to my relaxed riding style. But I'm back and the better half hates it. cheers :D

jgreg65
10-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Also Guys on my Harley the addition of this 25$ part made a WORLD of difference from wind buffeting so bad you almost couldn't ride to a ride as smooth as silk

http://www.harley-davidson.com/media/images/productphotos/PNA/58520_79TB_M_8b41.jpg

Its actually like 1/2 a small pie plate although it doesn't really look like it. And the tapped holes were there straight from the factory for it right on the forks under the cowl between the fork tubes.

Their description of it is :

58520-79TC - Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle

Deflect the cold night wind rushing between the fork tubes of your Touring model. This stylish chrome air baffle replaces the Original Equipment black baffle on '00-earlier models. Includes chrome mounting hardware.

randyyo
10-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Save your money on this part.
I bought one modified a bracket to fit.
It made no difference at all.
Only thing it did was scratch my fender when shocks compressed.

Dennab
10-10-2011, 06:30 PM
In reading through the threads, is it fair to assume that HD has all but solved the major buffeting issues with their tourers, whereas Victory is still trying (via it's ownership community) to sort this all out?

I've ridden a new Street Glide that had that air baffle attached on the underside of the front end, along with a Klockwerks flip windshield and it was a very comfortable ride at hwy. speeds (70+). The Road Glides seem be able to cut through the air even more gracefully. (I'll be confirming this later this month when I rent one for the day)

Being cautious about spending big dollars on a bike that has design issues out of the box....I do want to give Victory a chance and your info on the forum is certainly helpful.

Billyrides
10-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm a bit confused. You stated that Harley has all but sorted out the buffeting issue, how has this been done? By adding an aftermarket Klockwerks windshield?

I've got a 2011 Electra Glide parked in my garage that has the same amount of buffeting as the 2002 parked next to it.

wesdalton
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
In reading through the threads, is it fair to assume that HD has all but solved the major buffeting issues with their tourers, whereas Victory is still trying (via it's ownership community) to sort this all out?

I've ridden a new Street Glide that had that air baffle attached on the underside of the front end, along with a Klockwerks flip windshield and it was a very comfortable ride at hwy. speeds (70+). The Road Glides seem be able to cut through the air even more gracefully. (I'll be confirming this later this month when I rent one for the day)

Being cautious about spending big dollars on a bike that has design issues out of the box....I do want to give Victory a chance and your info on the forum is certainly helpful.

I wouldn't count on HD having it all solved, I ride with a few and my XC with a different shield, fork lowers, and Baker air wings has less buffeting than any of the HD's I ride with. Yes it did cost around $700.00 to make me totally happy, but that is a small cost when you compare the cost to make a hd run as well. (and no amount of money sill make it last as long, run as cool, and be as dependable.:)

Dennab
10-10-2011, 10:06 PM
My opening "statement" was more of a question to the forum and the operative word was "major" buffeting issues. I do realize that wind will always be a pesky side-kick when riding a bike.

That front air baffle has improved their issues dramatically, IMHO. I've ridden SG's with and without that little piece and it made a world of difference by stopping most of the dirty air from passing underneath the faring. They do still have some wind issues coming over the farings but that can be corrected with proper shield height/design. I also think HD's faring designs may be a bit more well developed, as any century old company should.

From what I'm reading in the threads, none of the "fixes" have helped some of the more serious buffeting that SOME of the riders are experiencing on the XC. It leads me to wonder about the robustness of their faring design. If you look at the airspace available around the XC faring where it meets the tank and front forks, it does seem to be more "open" than the SG or RG farings. Just an observation that may help explain some of the issues.

If we take the lowers, and other wind management doodads out of the equation, and just rely on the wind dynamics of these bikes (farings and shields) it would be interesting to see/feel which can slice through the wind more efficiently without offering the rider any major wind buffeting issues.
Unfortunately, none of the published comparo's seem to address this.

Again, just my opinion.

jgreg65
10-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm a bit confused. You stated that Harley has all but sorted out the buffeting issue, how has this been done? By adding an aftermarket Klockwerks windshield?

I've got a 2011 Electra Glide parked in my garage that has the same amount of buffeting as the 2002 parked next to it.

I had a re curve windshield added By LRS and that chrome piece in the forks added then the small winglets that are positionable came on it and it was perfect.

BobbyV
10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Took my new XR on a 250 mile highway ride. With the stock windshield I noticed very little buffeting at speeds of 70 to 75 mph. I'm 6' 3" and look over the top of the windshield. A bit more wind than my previous bike (Yamaha Royal Star) but nothing that makes me feel unhappy with the bike.cheers

Bikendad
10-11-2011, 08:50 PM
I went with the Victory tall w/shield (not the one on the XCT), kewlmetal winglets and the new Cee Bailey "flectors" and I have no buffeting along with being able to see a couple of inches over the w/shield. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam, different w/shields work for different height people. I was fine actually with just the tall w/shield and kewlmetal winglets. Just added the "flectors" to block the cold air and water but they make an even better air pocket while adding some unwanted heat to your lower legs. They do have a new "bikini cut" that should be better.