california duster [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: california duster

Dave
03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I have a black victory vegas . Just had some ghost flames to it and had it reclear coated , which now brings me back to the same problem that ihhad before. Those fine scratches that appear in the clear coat especially on dark colors , and can happen just from normal washing.
Someone recommended the california duster . Its suppose to clean without water to a just washed look with no scratching. But i cant seem to find much info. Anyone have any luck with this product? Thanks

Rand i
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Dave, I have a California duster and it works great on dust
and light dirt and have never had it scratch anything, I would
recommend it, the dirtier it gets the better it seems to work.
I got mine at a bike rally years ago but I think I've seen them
at Wal-mart or any auto parts store.

RedRider
03-03-2010, 05:18 AM
Go to your local magazine store and look for either Cars and Parts or Hemmings Motor News. They will have a full color page ad with the California Duster in there. Get the 1-800-number and you are good to go. Both mags are great if you decide to buy.

Kingpin
03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=duster&dds=1

I used to work for Summit Racing. Get the Summit brand. They are cheaper and made by the same company.

diamondrmp
03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey Dave

I have been a hobbiest detailer for 25+ years. The California duster is fantastic but ONLY if you use it correctly. It is just what its name implies a DUSTER.

If you use it as a cleaner you will scratch the paint. Always use it lightly across the surface of the paint. You may have to make a few passes in one spot. Also shake it out OFTEN.

Its not the duster itself that scratches but the debris picked up by the duster that scratches.

I use the small dashboard duster. Its much easier to manuever compared to the car duster.

Dave
03-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the input guys it sounds like exactly what im looking for.

ruttrow
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I will only say that when you drag something dry across paint it will scratch. I think the Cal duster has some type of paraffin wax built in. I would NEVER drag it across black, ever.

diamondrmp
03-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Dragging is a good terminology for what a lot of people do with these dusters and end up with scratches.

All of my vehicles have been black. I am very anal about the appearance of my vehicles. The California Duster really is a great product. I've never scratched, not even hairline scratches from using it.

ruttrow
03-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Dragging is a good terminology for what a lot of people do with these dusters and end up with scratches.

All of my vehicles have been black. I am ver anal about the appearance of my vehicles. The California Duster really is a great product. I've never scratched, not even hairline scratches from using it.

Like you, about everything I have ever owned and still own is black. In my youth I used a Cal duster on a daily basis, I also would use a Cal blade for drying. When you look at paint with a light like a 3M Sun Gun I think you would be amazed at what you see. I now use a Metro Air Dryer to dry anything black both my car and bike. I stand by saying I would NEVER use a Cal Duster. They cause scratches.

diamondrmp
03-03-2010, 07:09 PM
To each his own.

For me I use a portable 250w shop light to check my paint.

Maybe I just have the right touch!:)

ruttrow
03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
To each his own.

For me I use a portable 250w shop light to check my paint.

Maybe I just have the right touch!:)

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. cheers

diamondrmp
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. cheers

:ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:

MSchneid
03-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I use those Swiffer dusters you get at the dollar store. Cheap, disposable and small to get in and around wheels and tight areas.

diamondrmp
03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I actually tried the swifter for the wheels but they didn't pick up as well. I have 2 California Dusters. One for the wheels the other for the tins.

Thump1
03-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I have a black victory vegas . Just had some ghost flames to it and had it reclear coated , which now brings me back to the same problem that ihhad before. Those fine scratches that appear in the clear coat especially on dark colors , and can happen just from normal washing.
Someone recommended the california duster . Its suppose to clean without water to a just washed look with no scratching. But i cant seem to find much info. Anyone have any luck with this product? Thanks

I have been using one for too many years. They are only good for when your bike or car is only dusty not for the dirty stuff like after a rain. Don't get the ones from Walmart because sometimes they are not the real deal. Check the link below if you want to purchase they from the company that started them.

http://www.calcarcover.com/product_list.aspx?cid=101

kwdunlap
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I would sugget you goto a website that covers this and detailing motorcycles.

chopperdetailing.com

I would recomend using a micro fiber towel only and after washing it(not with water), use the maguires new nxt liquid wax. takes out alot of the swirlies and gives your bike a deeper rich look.

kwdunlap
09-01-2010, 05:46 PM
check out chopper detailing.com for advice on cleaning your bike. I also used the maguires nxt liquid wax and it took out 90% of the swirlies. Do not use water and only use a micro fiber towel on your bike.

diamondrmp
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Actually the NXT doesn't take out anything. It fills in the swirls. BIG DIFFERENCE.

If you want to literally take out the swirls you have to use a polish.

Waxes, like NXT (which by the way I really like) fill in swirls. They are also great after a thorough polishing!!

BBob
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I use the NXT too. I've noticed that applying more than once gives the paint a deeper look like another coat of clear has been applied.

Try applying it to just the tank for several days in a row to see if you see a difference.

I've never used it but most car guys seem to think the Zaino system is best for black with the clay and all. I dunno but I have seen their black cars shine better than most when they get done with it. They also say it takes the better part of a day to do it right.

I used the NXT and the California Duster on my Vette and they kept it looking showroom new all the time. It was a pewter color though.

diamondrmp
09-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Zaino is great BUT extremely time consuming. Once again Zaino FILLS the swirls. I tried it and the shine it gave me from HOURS of work was not better than the shine I get from Menzerna products.

The Menzerna polish I use REMOVES the swirls.

www.properautocare.com

BBob
09-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I see what you mean with the Menzerna. I'm going to pick some up to use as a stripper/polisher and then seal the paint with the NXT Tech Wax. Probably apply more coats of the Tech wax to the top facing paint where the sun really gets to it.

Thanks for the link and the heads-up. thumb up

diamondrmp
09-02-2010, 12:46 AM
I used the NXT and the California Duster on my Vette and they kept it looking showroom new all the time. It was a pewter color though.

Used, Meguiars, Zymol, Zano and finally found Menzerna. My C5 was the test bed for a few different products.

I couldn't get anything that gave a deeper shine than the Menzerna.

In these pics she was 3 years old with 66,000 miles and those were hard highway miles commuting from Southern California to Northern California for a year. Lots of bugs and Big Rigs.

kwdunlap
09-02-2010, 08:59 AM
you are correct, it does fill in the swirls, sorry about that. i would still recomend checking pout chopperdetailing.com for all of yoour cleaning needs. there is a step by step procedure that i use and my bike looks better then when it came off the show room floor. the owner of this site lives in tybee GA near Savannah and has people that come to him to have thier bikes cleaned for entering them into shows. he continously test new material and equipment and every time i try what ever is reccomended, it work like a champ. let me know what anyone thinks of the information on this site?

diamondrmp
09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I checked out his sight and he has some great stuff there. A lot of which I still use. I still use Wheel Wax, S100 engine brightner is awesome, Mr.Clean works great, P21s gets a great shine. I have my own version of Pimp Stixx that I use. LOL

When it comes to the metal? I've used all that stuff including the Mothers with the power ball, nothing and I mean NOTHING comes close to Master's Formula.

Will the owner of Cycleops and vendor here turned me onto this stuff a few years ago. It absolutely is the easiest and best out there for polishing chrome and aluminum especially polished aluminum.

I have over 25 years of detailing experience as a hobby. I love to try new stuff.

I just went to properautocare and saw some new polish's and waxes that I will be purchasing to try.

Definitely follow the procedure steps for detailing, top to bottom, front to back. Its pretty common steps in the detailing industry.

BBob
09-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Yes; chopperdetailing.com's product list (http://chopperdetailing.com/products.html) is some of the better known and well established products out there.

I would add the Master Formula Metal Gloss (http://master-formula.com/Metal%20Polish.htm) to that list as well.