cross country exhausts [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: cross country exhausts

partycrasher
06-04-2010, 12:09 PM
hey gang--first post here. Looking at exhaust options for the x country.

First--i do not think i want to go with factory stage one and ecm flash---just need more noise, frankly.

second--RPW seems to make noise and power---BUT--do they need a fuel controller or a factory reflash? i would think they would. If so--what's available?

ness exhaust---can't seem to find it anywhere...are they available? Same question on the reflash or fuel controlller.

rollin fast cycle sport---i hear they have a core exchange muffler program....anyone have any experience with them??? Thanks!!!

capt.tom
06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I put rpw's a Lloydz fuel controller and a Lloydz idle air valve on my Crossroads.The sound is 100% better than stock pipes. I do get a backfire once in awhile if I shift gears below 2800 rpm,run the gears out and it is fine. This is a tip from Kevinx onthis forum. I can't tell you if the performance is any better, but it feels better. Lloydz claims better performance and gas mileage. Good Luck

diamondrmp
06-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Go to You Tube and type in Cross Country Exhaust. I think you'll like what you find.thumb up

rek58
06-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Being the proud new owner of a CC, I almost went with the Stage 1 exhaust when I ordered the bike. But I found out about RPW and listened to that beautiful sound and just opted for stock. I'll be ordering mine after the 500 mile check up, which will be pretty soon.

partycrasher
06-16-2010, 07:12 AM
i went with the atom bomb...recored exhaust---i met a guy with the rpw's and i though they were a bit tiney sounding....and the stage 1 pipe from vic wasn't a real improvement....but the atom bom's---sound great!!

rek58
06-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Just wondering how many of you have gone with the atom bomb exhaust and what you think of them. Also how long was the turn around time for getting the work done? Thanks

John T.
06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey guys, Just joined the site and have a Crossroads. Would like to know where I can get the Atom Bombs that everyones talking about. I can't seem to find much out about them.

partycrasher
06-28-2010, 07:09 AM
email Bob directly at: BOBVICR@aol.com

Gyps
08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I put rpw's a Lloydz fuel controller and a Lloydz idle air valve on my Crossroads.The sound is 100% better than stock pipes. I do get a backfire once in awhile if I shift gears below 2800 rpm,run the gears out and it is fine. This is a tip from Kevinx onthis forum. I can't tell you if the performance is any better, but it feels better. Lloydz claims better performance and gas mileage. Good Luck

Do you have a video available on youtube to ear that sound? Do you know if we can put only th exhaust without the fuel controller?

Thank's,

Gyps

rek58
08-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Is there anyone in the New England area that has an after market exhaust, either RPW or the Atom Bomb? I've heard the U-tube videos, but would really love to hear them in person. Thanks.

mad dog
08-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey Guys
I agree with most of the above comments on Cross Country/Roads exhausts needing a little help. I too would like to add a little something extra to my new toy but after laying down over $20 grand (with accessories) and having recently purchased a Chevy Suburban (both big and black), my wife just wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of shelling out another grand or more JUST to make a little noise. AARRGGHH--JUST to make noise, that is MUSIC to my ears!!! She still wouldn't listen. After 47 years of marriage, you would think she would have a little more respect, right? Uhh--Right? Anyway, I checked out everything that was available, including the Atom Bombs, which are just modified stock mufflers (but cheap--and cheap is good--for now anyway). I sat down and read through the threads from Vegas and Hammer owners who modified their own mufflers and I said, "What the Hel--uhh Heck, can't be that difficult. I removed the heat shield cones (three 10mm bolts each) at the rear to expose those ugly mufflers and took out my drill with a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch bit. I used a center punch to mark off 8 evenly spaced dimples around the muffler end cap where the short tail pipe exits. I drilled 8 quarter inch holes in each end cap first and cranked my baby to see what it sounded like---NICE!! So I installed the 1/2inch bit (more is better, right) and drilled away. I cranked again and WAHOOO, just the mellow rumble I was looking for. I took a tube of high temp silicone sealer and applied a heavy bead to the top edge of the muffler end cap to seal the gap when I reattached the heat shield cone (Don't want exhaust gas escaping to the bottom of my saddle bags, not good). Since the cone is now part of your exhaust system, you may even want to spray the inside of cone with a good quality high temp paint or even black stove coating to slow down any corrosion. Messy but effective. Anyway, I am thrilled with the sound and better yet, it was FREEEE, except for the tube of silicone sealer. I have NO popping or backfire on decel and it runs beautifully, and IT WAS FREE. I can't get over that. Twenty minutes total time. Have a Good Ride

Dave E
08-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Md,

You have any pictures of the location of your drilling? Did you get the fuel map adjusted? Thanks

Legends 77
08-30-2010, 01:49 PM
First post here and donít have CC yet but will getting one soon. I saw that someone had put CFR exhaust (Cary Faas Racing) on a bike that was on Ebay. I also saw some on you tube. My question is does anyone know where you can buy them at? I have a friend that has a set on a SE road glide and they sound really good. I just sold my road king and getting a new Victory in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for any help.

Scott

mad dog
08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi Scott and Dave
First, I need to address Dave's question about my XC muffler mods. Regretfully I didn't document this mod as I proceeded, mainly because I didn't expect it to turn out as nice as it did. Also, since I am not getting popping or burbling on decel, no jerky throttle, and no surging at cruise, I decided to wait until I get my air intake kit from Loydz or Arlen ness before remapping. As far as where I drilled, the muffler end cap at the rear was drilled to look similar to the Vision Gatlin tip, then I replaced the stock heat shield cone at the rear and sealed it with a high temp silicone to keep any exhaust gas from migrating thru the cone gap up to the bottom of the saddle bag. Pretty straight forward. Maybe 20 minutes.
Now for Scott--- The first time I heard a CFR exhaust on a Victory, I fell in love. It was music to my ears. Do a Bing search or Google and you will have many sites that deal with CFR exhausts. You may want to spell it out completely "Cary Faas Racing" exhausts. You Tube doesn't do them justice. They are MUCH better in person, like most of the other exhausts are. I understand the family is into all types of racing, cars and bikes. They can certainly build an exhaust for you =BUT= I have found that many of the aftermarket manufacturers don't attach the lower saddle bag mounts to the mufflers and that is required on the XC/XR. Can turn into a headache if you aren't prepared to do some minor manufacturing yourself. I recently acquired a stainless steel set of BORLA performance slip on's, originally built for an 1800 (shhh--Gold Wing) and may be mounting them on my XC. I just didn't want to mess with the bag mounts YET. Borla was bought out by Thrust Master (or maybe it was Thrush) a couple years ago, but my son was talking with one of the former Borla engineers and it appears they are going to start manufacturing performance motorcycle exhausts again. I love competition.
This last statement, Diamond may want to shift it around somewhere else. My son is riding a new 1125CR Buell with several mods straight from Erick Buell. You can call Buell and talk directly with Erick if you want to. Anyway, my point is two fold. My son is running a Barker exhaust. Sounds like a 50 caliber machine gun and is the meanest crotch rocket I have ever ridden (Yes, this old man can still ride a crotch rocket). Now, on the Buell forums, the word is that Buell and, YOU GUESSED IT--""POLARIS""-- are in negotiations for a joint racing venture with the new 1190RR. A bad assed machine that is even beating Ducati in Europe. I guess Harley felt too embarrassed that Buell was tearing up their V-Rod, but they jumped out of the contract a year too soon. Not only that but Harley dropped the "No Competition" clause from their contract with Buell so Erick is now legally able to continue with the final developmment stage with the 1190RR. Jay Leno just ordered the first production model--$47,000. Victory may have a racing brother in the showroom in a couple years. YOU HEARD IT FIRST HERE!! NUFF for now PHIL

Dave E
08-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Mad Dog,

Thanks for explaination and I am leaning towards your MOD cheers

mad dog
08-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Dave, I think you will be pleased. You maintain stock muffler mount, stock saddle bag mounts, stock heat shields, stock appearance, it's quick, it's easy, it sounds good and it's FREE. Happy Riding!! PHIL

Legends 77
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks Mad Dog,

I have done a lot of searches for CFR and Cary Faas Racing. I donít see anything specs for the XC. Maybe I just need to call CFR and see if they would make a set. I love the way they sound but I might just have to do your mod until they make a specific XC pipe. Thanks again for your help.

Scott

mad dog
09-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Hi Scott
Yes, I have run into the same problem researching exhausts for my XC. Only a small handful of companies build a proper muffler which includes the bag mounts. There just aren't enough of the XC's on the road to make the "tooling" profitable, but with the popularity of the Cross bikes, I see that situation changing. The couple of XC's I saw with CFR muffs had custom mounts attached with steel straps. They did a nice job and the "music" is certainly worth the trouble, IMHO. LOL
PHIL

nutty4gymn
10-13-2010, 03:57 PM
When you 1/4" drilled where were the holes located? Also when you went to the 1/2" bit did you just make the first holes larger? I too want more music. I have the stage 1 and have eliminated the catalytic converter but still want more. Thanks for all the guidance!

Scott

dusty106
10-13-2010, 09:11 PM
I did the mod to my mufflers todays,they sound nice,but would like a little more.I called my dealer today,and he told me stage1 exhaust is not much louder than stock.I had stage1 on my vision and that sounded really nice.

nutty4gymn
10-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Do you have any type of documentation of what mods you did? I have never played with a bikes exhaust and need some specific guidance. Thanks! :confused:

dirtdobber
10-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Very interesting reading

I also felt Harley dropped the ball to quick on the Buell line but they were sinking quickly. Sales for the CVO's are good but it will not keep them floating for long.
I was looking at getting a CVO Road glide Ultra but they have them marked up so much and have to wait if you get 1. So, I went with the XC
I think it was a good decision
Been riding HD's a long time but I am through with em and their game playing
dd

Gravyo
10-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Just finished Maddogs mod on XC exhaust. I went with 5- 1/2" holes instead of 8. Sound is exactly what I was looking for. Not loud, nice and deep. Thanks Maddog!!!!!!!!!

CrossRoads
10-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Just finished Maddogs mod on XC exhaust. I went with 5- 1/2" holes instead of 8. Sound is exactly what I was looking for. Not loud, nice and deep. Thanks Maddog!!!!!!!!!

Nice! Did you also forget to take "how to" pics?

Gravyo
10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Yes, I did forget. But I'll see what I can do about getting some pics on here.

CrossRoads
10-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Yes, I did forget. But I'll see what I can do about getting some pics on here.

Thank you. That would be greatly appreciated especially by those of us who need a little hand holding.

GURR
10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Hey Guys
I agree with most of the above comments on Cross Country/Roads exhausts needing a little help. I too would like to add a little something extra to my new toy but after laying down over $20 grand (with accessories) and having recently purchased a Chevy Suburban (both big and black), my wife just wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of shelling out another grand or more JUST to make a little noise. AARRGGHH--JUST to make noise, that is MUSIC to my ears!!! She still wouldn't listen. After 47 years of marriage, you would think she would have a little more respect, right? Uhh--Right? Anyway, I checked out everything that was available, including the Atom Bombs, which are just modified stock mufflers (but cheap--and cheap is good--for now anyway). I sat down and read through the threads from Vegas and Hammer owners who modified their own mufflers and I said, "What the Hel--uhh Heck, can't be that difficult. I removed the heat shield cones (three 10mm bolts each) at the rear to expose those ugly mufflers and took out my drill with a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch bit. I used a center punch to mark off 8 evenly spaced dimples around the muffler end cap where the short tail pipe exits. I drilled 8 quarter inch holes in each end cap first and cranked my baby to see what it sounded like---NICE!! So I installed the 1/2inch bit (more is better, right) and drilled away. I cranked again and WAHOOO, just the mellow rumble I was looking for. I took a tube of high temp silicone sealer and applied a heavy bead to the top edge of the muffler end cap to seal the gap when I reattached the heat shield cone (Don't want exhaust gas escaping to the bottom of my saddle bags, not good). Since the cone is now part of your exhaust system, you may even want to spray the inside of cone with a good quality high temp paint or even black stove coating to slow down any corrosion. Messy but effective. Anyway, I am thrilled with the sound and better yet, it was FREEEE, except for the tube of silicone sealer. I have NO popping or backfire on decel and it runs beautifully, and IT WAS FREE. I can't get over that. Twenty minutes total time. Have a Good Ride

Sounds like a great fix for the stock exhaust. I'm looking to upgrade or modify and get a K&N air filter too. Is re-mapping required after this mod? Also, will it affect the warranty on the bike:confused:

Any feedback would be helpful:D

Gravyo
10-22-2010, 05:32 AM
Remapping is not required for Maddog's mod.

GURR
10-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Remapping is not required for Maddog's mod.

That's good to know.

How about the modification affecting the warranty:confused:

dusty106
10-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I think my dealer told me that it would not affect the warranty.If you are worried about the warranty,call your dealer and ask them.Or install aftermarket pipes for cross country.

Gravyo
10-24-2010, 06:28 AM
My dealer gave me two mufflers and two chrome end caps so I would have a pair to try. He said they were going to throw the mufflers out. They came off a XC that had a stage one upgrade.
After a two hour trip one way, yesterday, the wife said she couldn't hear the radio as well as before. I had drilled 5 holes, so you may want to start with 3 or 4 holes evenly spaced. Bike ran perfect and the sound is exactly what I wanted.

jokerman
10-25-2010, 08:44 AM
I have a new 2011 XC that the dealer did a no cost exhaust upgrade on prior to delivery. They call it "Arizona Slammers". Basically, they rework the inside of the stock muffler to reduce back-pressure & provide an awesome deep & loud (not too loud) exhaust sound. Similar to the Polaris stage 1, but better sound. You have to re-flash the ECM anytime you mess with the exhaust system & that was included as well. These guys are awesome for anybody in Arizona, shops in both Phoenix & Tucson: http://www.arizonavictory.com/
Go to the website & you can get a demo of 3 different exhaust options.
I put the "gatling gun" exhaust tips on mine. At first I was told they only fit the Vision, but turns out they work just fine on the XC! And they even make the sound a little deeperthumb up
I rode a demo bike with stock exhaust & am convinced that the reason the XC comes with a radio is so you won't fall asleep while driving with that "sewing machine" sound!
JOKERMAN

rek58
12-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Just wondering if there is anything new out there yet for aftermarket pipes. Just pulled my mufflers off and was thinking about doing the "Atom Bomb" treatment. Then started thinking about maybe trying the drilling the holes in the end caps. Just looking for opinions, thanks.

mad dog
12-23-2010, 05:35 PM
I haven't been on the FORUM for about three months so I thought I had better catch up a bit. Since I am the one who started the rush to start drilling the muffler end caps on the XC and XR, I wanted to add my thoughts since I made several multi-thousand mile runs with my drilled end caps. I must say that I love it even better now. The "music" from my pipes is just right, for me, and not obnoxious. No issues with popping or backfire. There is still a very slight "cough" when suddenly beginning to downshift while approaching an exit from the interstate, after a 200 mile run at 80, er, uhh, I mean 70. (uh huh). My XC has had this little cough since new so I will have it remapped when I upgrade my intake. So, to answer your question, I would do it again (drilling). It is very easily reversed if you don't like it. You certainly don't have to worry about marring the FINISH on the muffler, and the stock bag mounts are maintained. The "Atom Bomb" treatment is also an option but is more drastic and not quite as easy to reverse if you don't like it, and it is my understanding that this treatment DOES require remapping. Just a thought. Last thoughts on my XC, I recently made a run from south Florida to Arlington, Texas, just West of Dallas. 1300 miles, 21 hours and ten minutes (including a one hour rain delay near Tallahassee)---SINGLE DAY--. Seven fuel stops, two pee stops, and I was still able to walk when I got off. YAHOO, I'm happy with my XC. I rode BMW's for 43 years and was never able to run more than a thousand in a single day. I rode Harleys for ten years before the BMW's--but that's another story!! ENJOY YOUR RIDE!!! PHIL

Terry
12-23-2010, 09:13 PM
I have emailed Vance and Hines, Cobra and Reinhart. They all replied, but Cobra was the only exhaust manufaturer who are actually talking about making an exhaust for the XC. I hope it happens soon. We need more options for our bike. Some straight pipes with no mufflers would be nice, maybe with some different baffles so WE can decide the sound that makes us drool! Just a thought!

gregbenner
12-24-2010, 10:15 AM
I have a new 2011 XC
I put the "gatling gun" exhaust tips on mine. At first I was told they only fit the Vision, but turns out they work just fine on the XC!
JOKERMAN

Just focused on this. Any Pics? I also asked the dealer if these would fit, and they said no. Any mods required or direct bolt on?

thx

greg

rek58
12-24-2010, 03:25 PM
I was wondering if someone might know how they modify the muffler, for the "Atom Bomb" conversion. It looks like the cut the end right off of the stock muffler and re-weld the new insert in. The reason I'm asking is< i am going to try the "drill" mod this weekend and was hoping I would be able to fall back to the "Atom Bomb" conversion, if I don't like the sound. Thanks.

Gravyo
12-25-2010, 08:53 AM
REK58, If you don't want your bike too loud, I'm pretty sure you'll like the sound of the drill mod. I have 5- 1/2" dia. holes in each muffler, starting at the 3 o'clock position and ending at the 9 o'clock position. Let us know how you make out and how many holes you drilled. Merry Christmas!!!!!

jokerman
12-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Just focused on this. Any Pics? I also asked the dealer if these would fit, and they said no. Any mods required or direct bolt on?

thx

greg

You do not need to do any mod's. Had my dealer install them. If you have any questions, call Kyle at the Phoenix store:
http://www.arizonavictory.com/custompage.asp?pg-map
He will be happy to help, just tell him JOKERMAN sent you.

rdeerx
12-25-2010, 03:18 PM
A question for Mad Dog. When you drilled, did you just go thru the back of the XC mufflers or did you need a long bit to go deeper into the stock muffler?

rek58
12-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Gravyo- so with your drilling mod, you made it look like a smile? I was going to go with the 5 hole method and evenly space them around the entire circumfrence of the muffler end. My assumption ( right or wrong, who knows) is a more evenly spaced pattern would produce an even flow out the end of the muffler.

dirtdobber
12-25-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/costa-rica-panama/121054d1231181462-coral-star-dec-26th-jan-1-thread_is_worthless.jpg

rking35209
12-26-2010, 04:14 PM
ok, can any of these mods be done with a stage 1 pipes or does this only work with stock pipes?

rek58
12-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Ok, so I went and did the 5 hole drilling modification today, of course after clearing the driveway and walk, being up here in Massachusetts, we got a dusting of snow last night. I took some pictures, too. So hopefully these will be of some help.

First I made a template, pretty simple, took some diameter measurements and used a compass. 1 1/2 " center dia, for the pipe. 3 3/4" dia for the outside measurement and it worked out to be approx 2 3/4" dia for the drilling line. I then made a mark and figured it to be approx 1 9/16" from that mark and so on for equal spacing. When I was doing all this I did not realize that the mounting bracket for the end cap was going to come into play.

So I then placed the template onto the muffler (I had them off the bike, because I was going to send them out and go the "Atom Bomb" route). This is when I noticed the mounting bracket. Simple fix as far as I was concerned, because there are already two (2) 3/8" holes in the bracket face. I just moved the template around, so that three (3) of the holes were equal distance from the bracket edge. This actually spaced the holes out pretty evenly. Marked the holes with a center punch.

Started with a 1/8" drill and worked my way up, till I finished the last one with a 1/2"

Mounted the mufflers back on and started it up. Sounds good, it's too bad I have a frigging foot of snow on the ground. I really wanted to go out and see how they sounded while I was ripping down the road.

Because the is an additional mounting hole on the end cap, I might try to make plate to attach there and seal, to try and prevent exhaust gas from traveling up through the gap. But there you go, hope it was helpful. Was afraid to tell anyone I did the modification and not have some pics to go along with it.

BBob
12-27-2010, 01:18 PM
rek58: Thanks for the pics and narrative. I'm wondering if the end pipe stops at the weld on the plate you drilled the holes. Can you tell if it continues on into the muffler?

dirtdobber
12-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Thank you for the photo's and narrative. This will help those who are thinking about drilling.

For those of you that has or will make some changes photos will really help explain things. The forum is already a great asset but Showing by photos will make it even better.

Again thank you

ddthumb up

rek58
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
BBob, took a look, it appears that the exhaust pipie runs down into the muffler. I'm guessing that by drilling the holes in the end plate, you are giving the exhaust a more direct route out of the muffler. I'm guessing that the exhaust runs more of a "S" route without the by-pass.

BBob
12-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks again rek58. Some time later after posting my question I realized all I had to do was shine a light down my pipe (so to speak). I didn't think it through at the time.

I think the way this muffler works is simply the way a standard baffle works in that as the flow goes through the pipe it has various metal divergent tabs to make the sound "muffle" down such as in the pic below. Again; thank you!

I cannot begin to thank you all enough for all the help you have given me in understanding how the Vic "ticks". Every mile I ride my XC makes me even more glad I converted. Truthfully; the '09 Jackpot got me hooked. The XC landed me like a big 'ole fish. :D

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000_SuperTrapp_Replacement_Baffle_for_2_into_1_Mu ffler_--.jpg

You guys do know your chances of seeing my bike clean are not really good but it could happen if we get a spell of rain when I've already finished my projects. Then I can, hopefully, devote some time to making it pretty again. :)

CrossRoads
12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Wow, this thread is awesome. Thank you for all the helpful info and the pics which are great also, especially for dummies like me, who have never seen the insides of a pipe. thumb up

The XC landed me like a big 'ole fish. :D
Yeah, now that I look back, I stood no chance when I walked into the dealership. She stole my heart the minute I laid eyes on her. ;)

Does anybody make baffles for the Cross bikes? Any good ones worth getting?

BBob
12-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Does anybody make baffles for the Cross bikes? Any good ones worth getting?

I don't think the stock mufflers allow a simple replacement of the baffles like some of the aftermarket types. There are places that core out the existing pipe/baffles and weld in a better/louder sounding baffle with less restriction on the air flow.

With HD; the rule of thumb is you can increase the air flow to the intake OR the exhaust but if you do both you need to remap or get a tuner of some kind like the Power Commander V (5). I have no reason to believe the Vic's are any different in this regard.

If you go to YouTube and type in "Victory Cross Country Exhaust" you can hear video clips of many of the available systems. "Atom Bomb" is one that cores and rebaffles the stock muffler.

I'm going to keep mine stock for now but if I wasn't; I'd talk with a guy by the name of Steve Fulsac who recores HD stock mufflers (http://www.fullsac.com/)for people all over the world. As luck would have it; he lives right here in my little town. Here is one of the baffles he uses in his recore's.

http://www.fullsac.com/images/cvo-muffler-core-photo.jpg

CrossRoads
12-28-2010, 12:41 PM
If it's not an easy baffle swap and actually involves welding, I am going to stick with the stock ones for now. It's not like I'm unhappy with them. If I wasn't happy with the stocks, I would see myself spend the $500ish everybody seems to want for their slip-ons. Who knows, maybe later on I'll be willing.

dirtdobber
12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
With loud pipes getting so much attention in the wrong way I will keep my stock pipes untouched. Just in case.

When you add air (high flow ac) and high flow exhaust (more out) The afr will be off. The computer (ecm) will keep it good enough to protect the engine but performance and fuel mileage may suffer.
HD's require a down load or some kind of fuel manger because they run very lean in the first place to meet emissions requirements. That is why they run hot in the stock form.

I am not that unhappy with my exhaust to spend much $$$ on it.

Just exhaust no changes should need to be done. Sure it can lean it some but very very slightly

gregbenner
12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
.HD's require a down load or some kind of fuel manger because they run very lean in the first place to meet emissions requirements. That is why they run hot in the stock form.

My harleys run hot ALL the time, rich or lean:(
Really an issue in traffic in hot weather. Haven't ridden the XC in hot weather yet, but suspect it will be much better.

CrossRoads
12-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Really an issue in traffic in hot weather. Haven't ridden the XC in hot weather yet, but suspect it will be much better.

Rode my XR in 5-10mph (1st gear mostly) traffic this past November, when we had those tripple digit temperature days in so.cal thanks to the not so friendly Santa Ana Winds. I must admit, I was worried, especially since I didn't see anybody else riding on my usual route from work. I thought all bikers knew better to drive that day, and I am going to be the only one overheating in the carpool lane on the 405. The 25mile trip home, of which most was spent in 1st gear, turned out to be trouble free. On the other hand, I was exhausted and couldn't take any more oven treatment.

dirtdobber
12-29-2010, 02:57 PM

A good oil cooler will help ya a lot as long as you have a good tune.
My Ultra is runs cooler than both my VTX and XC
In stop and go traffic is ahrd to keep cool. I also have a LaNael (sp) fan on my Ultra for my PGR missions and it makes a lot of difference.

Rode my XR in 5-10mph (1st gear mostly) traffic this past November, when we had those tripple digit temperature days in so.cal thanks to the not so friendly Santa Ana Winds. I must admit, I was worried, especially since I didn't see anybody else riding on my usual route from work. I thought all bikers knew better to drive that day, and I am going to be the only one overheating in the carpool lane on the 405. The 25mile trip home, of which most was spent in 1st gear, turned out to be trouble free. On the other hand, I was exhausted and couldn't take any more oven treatment.

Have you checked you plug color yet to see if it is running lean?

Mine is slightly on the lean side but not as bad as my Ultra was.

dd

CrossRoads
12-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Have you checked you plug color yet to see if it is running lean?

Mine is slightly on the lean side but not as bad as my Ultra was

No, I have not checked. I wanted to wait a bit, but now that I ticked over the first 1,500 miles I probably should pull the plugs and have a look.

VIC-1
01-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm surprised that in 56 posts on this thread, no one has brought up D&D? I'm a Harley owner and may consider XC when I feel the time is right to replace my softail, so I've been following some of the after market developments for Victory. D&D has been making some of the best quality & performing mufflers & systems on the market and they now make mufflers for the X bikes. Check them out: http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/victory/

nutty4gymn
01-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the D&D tip. I like the sound in their sound byte but I do find humor that they list it for 08-10 XC...the XC did not exist prior to 2010. LOL! Now if their web page only listed a price...

:)

VIC-1
01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the D&D tip. I like the sound in their sound byte but I do find humor that they list it for 08-10 XC...the XC did not exist prior to 2010. LOL! Now if their web page only listed a price...

:)

I don't remember where I saw it, but I seem to recall somewhere are $600+-. Certainly not cheap, but did you look at the dyno graph? With a download, air filter and D&D's Boss mufflers, not only do you get impressive power gains, but look at that TQ curve, it's a thing of beauty!!! D&D clearly sweats the details and the numbers show it...

gregbenner
01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm surprised that in 56 posts on this thread, no one has brought up D&D? I'm a Harley owner and may consider XC when I feel the time is right to replace my softail, so I've been following some of the after market developments for Victory. D&D has been making some of the best quality & performing mufflers & systems on the market and they now make mufflers for the X bikes. Check them out: http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/victory/

I agree that D&D has good quality and customer service. I had their 2-1s on my Dyna for a while. Just too loud for me.

Interestingly, when I took them off, I purchased 2010 stock exhausts made for California. Both on the dyno and seat of the pants they make morelow end power (the motor is a stage 2 103"). Lost a couple HP at the higher end, but for riding in the mountains it is more fun now.

VIC-1
01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree that D&D has good quality and customer service. I had their 2-1s on my Dyna for a while. Just too loud for me.

Interestingly, when I took them off, I purchased 2010 stock exhausts made for California. Both on the dyno and seat of the pants they make morelow end power (the motor is a stage 2 103"). Lost a couple HP at the higher end, but for riding in the mountains it is more fun now.

I must say that my butt is not that sensitive. I've been through 5 different exhaust's on my Deuce and what I thought I felt in my "seat" proved to be wrong when I saw the real numbers on the dyno, but that's me and another story for another post...

Brad Ross
01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Comments or suggestions on removing the catylist (honey comb material) in the exhaust pipe just before entering into the muffler? Pro's & con's for removing or leaving? Thanks 2010 Cross Country owner

dirtdobber
01-04-2011, 10:09 AM
A lot of the Goldwing riders replace the catylist (honey comb material) with a straight tru torque pipe. It increases the volume but maintains the torque curve.

Even HD riders with the 2010-11 models change out the headers to remove the catylist due to the extra heat.

Warranty wise it could cause a problem but only if it were to generate a problem.

Personally speaking I think Victory could offer a high lift cam that would be more suitable for touring. When I ride the rpm's are close to 3,000 +-. The freedom 106 is just starting to build power at this rpm..

I am not a high rpm guy and prefer the power to start to build around 2,500 rpm to around 5,000+- This is where you would get a boost in fuel mileage and drive-ability in the mountains and hills. This is where I live and ride most of the time.

Solo it is ok but 2 up I can really tell a difference.

Even my 96ci Ultra with SE255 cams pulls better than my XC when passing or pulling on mountain roads. The cams start to build power at 2,200 rpms to 4,850 rpms

This is also 1 of the reasons I will most likely keep the stock exhaust.

just a thought
dd

gregbenner
01-04-2011, 10:49 AM
A lot of the Goldwing riders replace the catylist (honey comb material) with a straight tru torque pipe. It increases the volume but maintains the torque curve.

Even HD riders with the 2010-11 models change out the headers to remove the catylist due to the extra heat.

Warranty wise it could cause a problem but only if it were to generate a problem.

Personally speaking I think Victory could offer a high lift cam that would be more suitable for touring. When I ride the rpm's are close to 3,000 +-. The freedom 106 is just starting to build power at this rpm..

I am not a high rpm guy and prefer the power to start to build around 2,500 rpm to around 5,000+- This is where you would get a boost in fuel mileage and drive-ability in the mountains and hills. This is where I live and ride most of the time.

Solo it is ok but 2 up I can really tell a difference.

Even my 96ci Ultra with SE255 cams pulls better than my XC when passing or pulling on mountain roads. The cams start to build power at 2,200 rpms to 4,850 rpms

This is also 1 of the reasons I will most likely keep the stock exhaust.

just a thought
dd

Pretty much my exact experience. Interestly, on my 103" Dyna, I replaced the 2-1 D&D FatCats with 2010 factory exhausts with catylists. After getting it re-dynoed it had more power:confused:. Plus more low end, which I suppose makes sense.

DD, are the Harley 255 cams a high lift cam? They gave me monster low end on my 103s. Not much past 4500 RPM, but like you I rarely ride at that RPM.

On my XC the dealer suggested perhaps taking out the Catylitcs, but I also am worried that it might hurt low end.

diamondrmp
01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Pretty much my exact experience. Interestly, on my 103" Dyna, I replaced the 2-1 D&D FatCats with 2010 factory exhausts with catylists. After getting it re-dynoed it had more power:confused:. Plus more low end, which I suppose makes sense.

DD, are the Harley 255 cams a high lift cam? They gave me monster low end on my 103s. Not much past 4500 RPM, but like you I rarely ride at that RPM.

On my XC the dealer suggested perhaps taking out the Catylitcs, but I also am worried that it might hurt low end.

Taking out the cats are not going to hurt but unless the design has changed, the cats are IN the baffles. You take out the baffles you loose some low end.

You can take the cats out of the baffles. Just need to cut the spot weld.

gregbenner
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Taking out the cats are not going to hurt but unless the design has changed, the cats are IN the baffles. You take out the baffles you loose some low end.

You can take the cats out of the baffles. Just need to cut the spot weld.

Diamond, the dealer told me the cats were at the end of (and in) the head pipe, just before the slipon mufflers. is this what you are saying, or did the dealer mispeak?

diamondrmp
01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Heres the problem. I've never taken apart a stock exhaust. I know that the drag and shotguns have the setup I'm talking about.

Kevin ohhhhh....Kevin???

BBob
01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
If the cats are in the straight part of pipes at the end; I would think they could be cored out with little difficulty with the right tools. I didn't know they even had them in there till now. It would even alleviate heat build up in those areas as a bonus.

Core 'em, change AC to high flow, and you've got a quiet Stage 1. Oh, and get the download for it. You could even drill a few holes in the end of the pipe to fine tune it. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get the Lloyds IAV for it to dial out the popping that usually occurs with the stage 1.

Could add the D&D slip-ons later on when more funds are available. And a tuner and dyno tune after that. Then you would be golden for sure, er, until you wanted to install those cams. Then you might want to wait on the tuner and dyno tune until they are installed. :D

dirtdobber
01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
D&D makes a great dependable exhaust but they will not produce as much power as many others do.
As for the 2 into 1 goes they do produce a better torque curve than the true duals but (speaking of my Ultra) the factory exhaust will do almost as good as most after market pipes do.

I tried the 2 into 1, factory header with cross over, true duals. I did not like the heat the factory duals with the cross over, it right at my right leg. Power was good with them. Changed to V&H true duals headers with the SE street performance mufflers. I lost a total of 3 ft lb tq and 2 hp. Wasn't enough to worry with and liked the looks much better and less heat on the right leg. The 2 into 1 produced less than 2 tq and 1 hp better than the factory exhaust with the SE mufflers.

The point I am trying to make is: unless you are after all you can get from an engine then why not just get the look/sound you want.

D&D does make good power but if other companies made a set of exhaust there may be some other options that can produce better power.

The cat should add some low end but it will be slight I would think.

A goldwing without mufflers and still having the cats are really quiet, seriously. Remove the cats and add the tq pipe with the stock mufflers the volume increases quiet a bit. This is a goldwing not a freedom 106.

personally speaking I would want all the low end I could get. However, if you do not tour or cruise several hundred miles in a day then you might want to go to cams and no cats so you could benefit from the power at the upper rpm range.

Fuel mileage and torque go together. Torque will get ya there but HP will keep it there.

dd

Blackey (Australia)
01-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Dave, I think you will be pleased. You maintain stock muffler mount, stock saddle bag mounts, stock heat shields, stock appearance, it's quick, it's easy, it sounds good and it's FREE. Happy Riding!! PHIL

Cheers & thanks mad dog,
this is the exactly the reason/info/etc I joined the forum today !
Great stuff Mate.

gregbenner
01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Heres the problem. I've never taken apart a stock exhaust. I know that the drag and shotguns have the setup I'm talking about.

Kevin ohhhhh....Kevin???

I talked with the service manager at the dealer...he confirmed that on the XC the catylitics were in the head pipe. He wasn't sure if they were welded in, or just dimpled so they wouldn't fall out. If Keven reads this perhaps he would know?

Terry
01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
My last bike, a 2005 Kawasaki vulcan 1600 classic, had a straight pipe, cobra exhaust, that had 2 different baffles. One loud one and a louder one. My question is, has anyone just cut off the muffler and ran the XC using a straight pipe? Maybe welding a pipe on to replace the cut off muffler or something? I'm not mechanically inclined, I'm sure back pressure might have something to do with not doing it, but it's just a question?

diamondrmp
01-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't know of anyone that did it BUT you are correct that the Victory engines need back pressure. You will lose your low end with straight pipes.

VIC-1
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM
D&D makes a great dependable exhaust but they will not produce as much power as many others do.
As for the 2 into 1 goes they do produce a better torque curve than the true duals but (speaking of my Ultra) the factory exhaust will do almost as good as most after market pipes do.

I tried the 2 into 1, factory header with cross over, true duals. I did not like the heat the factory duals with the cross over, it right at my right leg. Power was good with them. Changed to V&H true duals headers with the SE street performance mufflers. I lost a total of 3 ft lb tq and 2 hp. Wasn't enough to worry with and liked the looks much better and less heat on the right leg. The 2 into 1 produced less than 2 tq and 1 hp better than the factory exhaust with the SE mufflers.

The point I am trying to make is: unless you are after all you can get from an engine then why not just get the look/sound you want.

D&D does make good power but if other companies made a set of exhaust there may be some other options that can produce better power.

The cat should add some low end but it will be slight I would think.

A goldwing without mufflers and still having the cats are really quiet, seriously. Remove the cats and add the tq pipe with the stock mufflers the volume increases quiet a bit. This is a goldwing not a freedom 106.

personally speaking I would want all the low end I could get. However, if you do not tour or cruise several hundred miles in a day then you might want to go to cams and no cats so you could benefit from the power at the upper rpm range.

Fuel mileage and torque go together. Torque will get ya there but HP will keep it there.

dd

Dirt - where do you come up with this: "D&D makes a great dependable exhaust but they will not produce as much power as many others do"

There aren't that many companies producing exhaust systems for Vic and I think D&D is the only one I've seen who backs up their products with real numbers. I'm now curious who has better performing slip-on's and what does their dyno chart looks like???

bigseadaddy
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Just to throw this out there, I have the modified stock from Victory of Southern MD. They gutted the stock and welded in a cone baffle. I just went over 200 miles on my bike and love them.

I pulled up to day at work and a buddy told me that he really like the sound. Not overly loud but deep rumble especially on a down shift. That said it is not near as raspy and ear splitting like my HD with V&H duals were.

They have a YouTube vid as well.

VIC-1
01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Just to throw this out there, I have the modified stock from Victory of Southern MD. They gutted the stock and welded in a cone baffle. I just went over 200 miles on my bike and love them.

I pulled up to day at work and a buddy told me that he really like the sound. Not overly loud but deep rumble especially on a down shift. That said it is not near as raspy and ear splitting like my HD with V&H duals were.

They have a YouTube vid as well.

Big..., I first listened to this YouTube vid a while back and also thought that this was the best sounding XC I've heard, of course it's a sound clip and not in-person, but it sounds goooood. I spoke with Vic of S. MD today and they told me that their charging $599 for their baffle makeover job which I thought was pricing to modify owner supplied baffles? Now my only question would be is how do they perform? Seat of the pants is OK, but the dyno is what will really show if their handy work is worth $600...

dirtdobber
01-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Dirt - where do you come up with this: "D&D makes a great dependable exhaust but they will not produce as much power as many others do"

from my experience and others

There aren't that many companies producing exhaust systems for Vic and I think D&D is the only one I've seen who backs up their products with real numbers.
Which is my point, not much out there
A dyno is only as good as the tuner is, it is good for tuning and bragging rights. If tuner know what he is doing he can produce almost any numbers he wants. I'm now curious who has better performing slip-on's and what does their dyno chart looks like???
That is my point there is nothing to compare to

D&D is a good slip on, my statements are based on experience and what I have seen.
Personally I like the D&D because they maintain good torque. The D&D were short on number as compared to my V&H.
Again nothing else is really out there unless you have your stock mufflers altered which I have always been against.
But that's me

dd

VIC-1
01-06-2011, 09:38 AM
D&D is a good slip on, my statements are based on experience and what I have seen.
Personally I like the D&D because they maintain good torque. The D&D were short on number as compared to my V&H.
Again nothing else is really out there unless you have your stock mufflers altered which I have always been against.
But that's me

dd

Let me clarify my point regarding D&D. My comments on D&D's slip on mufflers are specific for Victory X bikes, not HD and not how D&D compares to others outside of the world of Victory X bikes. In this very specific application (Vic X), D&D's slip-on's make impressive numbers which I can't say for any other slip-on or re-cored muffler since I haven't seen anyone else show actual HP and/or TQ numbers. Without real performance numbers, performance improvements are all just a guess...

dirtdobber
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Let me clarify my point regarding D&D. My comments on D&D's slip on mufflers are specific for Victory X bikes, not HD and not how D&D compares to others outside of the world of Victory X bikes. In this very specific application (Vic X), D&D's slip-on's make impressive numbers which I can't say for any other slip-on or re-cored muffler since I haven't seen anyone else show actual HP and/or TQ numbers. Without real performance numbers, performance improvements are all just a guess...

I agree with you
Yes it is a Victory freedom 106 engine not a HD and this I understand.
I am not comparing what can be done with the hd and the victory. I am only saying other makers produce better power than the D&D with other bike types.

My main point is we do not know because we have nothing to compare them to.
I do think other makers may come to realize their sales to be made with the X bikes and start making some for us.
I would like to see V&H come out with something or other makers so we could have a wider range of choice

Again I like D&D, their chrome is top notch. I would have liked them to have the removable/tuning baffle (disc's) on these like some of theirs have and a different type of tips than what is available.

Enough of this
dd

warr110r
01-10-2011, 12:35 AM
I just listened to these on YouTube and they sound great. Not sure of the cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTq6ODfOxus&feature=related

BBob
01-12-2011, 12:08 AM
1-11-11; a magical day for everyone.

Can you imagine how it is for those who don't believe!!!!

petegtsv10
01-24-2011, 09:31 AM

A relevant point that hasn't yet been made about the D&D exhaust: They have a great non-OEM look to them with their large, slash-cut tips. If you go with a company that alters the stock pipe, you still have the OEM look when it's installed. A lot of what we do do our bikes is for appearance and my D&Ds were one of the biggest changes I made. (in addition to a good, deep sound)

dirtdobber
01-24-2011, 08:30 PM
I like the D&D's but I don't like the tips, with the large taper at the end.

CrossRoads
01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
I like the D&D's but I don't like the tips, with the large taper at the end.

:I agree: with dirtdrobber. For my taste, the stock tips look better. :crzy:

gumper800
03-01-2011, 05:20 AM
Has anyone heard the Atom Bomb's and RPW's side by side? Are the Atom's as loud? Thanks

diamondrmp
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Do a you tube search and you can see and hear a bunch of options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6VPwPAAS0

http://www.victoryforums.com/%3Ciframe%20title=%22YouTube%20video%20player%22%2 0width=%22480%22%20height=%22390%22%20src=%22http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ux6VPwPAAS0%22%20frameborder=%220%22%20allowfullsc reen%3E%3C/iframe%3E

CrossRoads
03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Are there any dyno results for the after market pipes available? If yes, can someone post them? Also would be nice to hear a comparison or recommendations from KevinX, when he gets a chance. :D

gumper800
03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks, I listened to them on you tube, just wondering if anyone heard them in person?????

rek58
03-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered my D&D slip ons today. I tried the mod for the stock exhaust and it was ok, but just not what I was looking for. Did a lot of listening on U-tube, checking out this site and others. One of the guys at my local dealer has seen all of the variations and was very impressed with the fit and finish of the D&D's. So I said screw it, I'm gonna get them. Probably end up going with Lloydz's fuel controller to finish off the install, even my dealer recommended them. Will be back with an update.

VIC-1
03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered my D&D slip ons today. I tried the mod for the stock exhaust and it was ok, but just not what I was looking for. Did a lot of listening on U-tube, checking out this site and others. One of the guys at my local dealer has seen all of the variations and was very impressed with the fit and finish of the D&D's. So I said screw it, I'm gonna get them. Probably end up going with Lloydz's fuel controller to finish off the install, even my dealer recommended them. Will be back with an update.

Sound & looks are always subjective, but I'd like to get your feedback once you get them installed. At least your buying a quality product with a lot of R&D put into the sound & performance.

I never asked D&D, but I'd be curious on their thoughts of removing the baffle wrap in the event that you want to make them a little louder???

dirtdobber
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
I have reservations for the Victory rally in June. Most likely I will be able to hear what is out there. I will then make a decision if and what I will do. Patience.

rek58
03-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Well the pipes arrived today. Took 3 days to ship and I was very surprised that they were delivered on a Saturday. D&D does nice work, they are beautiful. Real quality stuff. I was very impressed with how they were packaged, took me longer to unwrap them, than to do the install. The look good, sound good. Now all I need is for my fuel controller to get here. Installed a Victory hp air filter, looks just like a K&N. Here's some pics for y'all.

bryman
03-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow, that looks really nice! You'll have to let us know how they sound and perform.

rek58
03-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Well I'm still waiting on my fuel controller, so the performance end of things is going to have to wait. But I did take the bike out and went for a quick little blast. Sounds great!!!! Actually seems to run ok , too. They look good on the bike, don't know if the pics I took really do them justice. The only real noticeable difference is the tips and even then I think they look fine. Has a nice deep rumble and wether the bike is running efficiently or not, I can feel a difference in the engine performance.

Just adding to this. I was out today for a little ride. The engine seems to run pretty good. Throttle response is good, no backfiring on de-accelleration. Throttle seems to have a little quicker response, no drag. If just sitting there and giving it a quick rev, seems very responsive. All I've done so far is add the air filter, removed the air box strip, new exhaust and disconnected the O2 sensors. I was just putting around so no highway runs, am going to wait till I get the fuel controller installed and adjusted, then I'll open it up a bit and see how it feels.

rking35209
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Well I'm still waiting on my fuel controller, so the performance end of things is going to have to wait. But I did take the bike out and went for a quick little blast. Sounds great!!!! Actually seems to run ok , too. They look good on the bike, don't know if the pics I took really do them justice. The only real noticeable difference is the tips and even then I think they look fine. Has a nice deep rumble and wether the bike is running efficiently or not, I can feel a difference in the engine performance.

Just adding to this. I was out today for a little ride. The engine seems to run pretty good. Throttle response is good, no backfiring on de-accelleration. Throttle seems to have a little quicker response, no drag. If just sitting there and giving it a quick rev, seems very responsive. All I've done so far is add the air filter, removed the air box strip, new exhaust and disconnected the O2 sensors. I was just putting around so no highway runs, am going to wait till I get the fuel controller installed and adjusted, then I'll open it up a bit and see how it feels.
My only complaint of the x bikes is the sound of the primary? Its a bit whiney to me. Does the sound of your new pipes dround out the sound of the primary. Also, has it affected your ability to hear the tunes riding down the rd? Thanks again for all the info you're giving us.!

rek58
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
As far as exhaust noise levels and the radio, I didn't find it to be an issue. The exhaust noise is obviously louder, but not excessive. I can hear my music with no problem. I don't really notice any primary noise either, but that just might be because I've just tuned it out.

dirtdobber
03-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Sometimes it isn't the volume of the exhaust that cause the problem it's the tone. It can cause distortion by what you hear. The 2 sounds will compete with each other causing distortion.
I had a 300 watt rms system that was awesome, had 4 6.5 inch speakers. It would drown out any noise. My mufflers were only moderately loud. The 2 sounds competed with each other causing distortion. In the garage it was as good or better than any home stereo but when riding I had distortion.
Like to have never figured out the problem. Went through several set's of speakers, rewired, checked connections so many times that I was ready to give it up.
A friend who is a car stereo guru said it was the exhaust. I changed the disc's in the D&D's and it went away.

:ltr:

rek58
03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Something else that I found that may help with issues like that, ear plugs. Before I installed the new windshield and lowers, as we all know, the turbulence was really loud in my ears. I use to wear ear plugs when I did any highway traveling, they cut down the higher pitched wind noise greatly and I could hear my music so much better. But as far as this exhaust system goes, I like the tone, it pretty much stays in the background and I don't really notice it. But again I haven't had a chance to do any real high speed running yet.

cowboy78642
03-08-2011, 12:51 PM
While my bikes in the shop, I want to re-core my stock mufflers. I am a welder/ machinist by trade, so doing the work is not an issue. What I need to know is the the baffle design of say, the RPW's or the atom bomb conversions. Has anybody seen the baffles they use. I don't want to just hit and miss, and have to cut open the mufflers 2 or 3 times. Don't want a really loud exhaust note...just AN exhaust note.

rek58
03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
The fuel controller and air valve from Lloydz arrived the other day. Installed the air valve yesterday. Installed the fuel controller early tonight. As far as ease of installation, both were relatively siple and straight forward. It would have gone a little easier if I had the hands of a 10 year old, but otherwise not too bad. Both came with easy to follow instructions (includes pictures). You might be better off copying a set from the website, writing is small. The bike started right up, so I put it back together right. Hopefully I will be able to get out this weekend to test and adjust if needed. I'll follow up.

rking35209
03-09-2011, 09:58 PM
The fuel controller and air valve from Lloydz arrived the other day. Installed the air valve yesterday. Installed the fuel controller early tonight. As far as ease of installation, both were relatively siple and straight forward. It would have gone a little easier if I had the hands of a 10 year old, but otherwise not too bad. Both came with easy to follow instructions (includes pictures). You might be better off copying a set from the website, writing is small. The bike started right up, so I put it back together right. Hopefully I will be able to get out this weekend to test and adjust if needed. I'll follow up.
Keep the updates coming, this is an upgrade I'm really looking hard at.

CrossRoads
03-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I've seen the pictures, so I have a fairly good idea of what each pipe option has to offer as far as looks. To me, some look better than others, but none of them are ugly.

I've watched the videos on youtube, and keeping in mind that each clip is shot with a different camera, in a different ambient, I have some idea of what they all sound. Some seem to sound better than others, but none of them sound bad.

So if I were to upgrade my stock pipes, I would be most concerned with the difference these options make in performance. What I would like to see is a head to head comparison from someone knowledgeable on the subject, yet neutral enough to give us an unbiased opinion. Kevin Cross! Please give us your point of view on the exhaust options for the Cross bikes.

BBob
03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
I've seen the pictures, so I have a fairly good idea of what each pipe option has to offer as far as looks. To me, some look better than others, but none of them are ugly.

I've watched the videos on youtube, and keeping in mind that each clip is shot with a different camera, in a different ambient, I have some idea of what they all sound. Some seem to sound better than others, but none of them sound bad.

So if I were to upgrade my stock pipes, I would be most concern with the difference these options make in performance. What I would like to see is a head to head comparison from someone knowledgeable on the subject, yet neutral enough to give us an unbiased opinion. Kevin Cross! Please give us your point of view on the exhaust options for the Cross bikes.

CR: I appreciate where you're coming from but in the real world it just doesn't work that way with motorcycles. Cars yes. Motorcycles. No.

CrossRoads
03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
CR: I appreciate where you're coming from but in the real world it just doesn't work that way with motorcycles. Cars yes. Motorcycles. No.

What doesn't work that way?

bryman
03-10-2011, 11:03 PM
CR,

I am by no means an expert, but here's my 2 cents.

Since all the exhaust systems I know of that are out are only the mufflers themselves and behind the headers and crossover, I think the performance differences are probably going to be pretty small. I think the biggest difference will be from going from stock to something more open like Stage 1, RPW, D&D, Ness Honkers, etc., and using either the Stage 1 ECU reflash or a fuel controller like a PCV.

Best performance of the after-market mufflers would probably be seen with a dedicated fuel controller like the PCV, especially with the autotune option. I have had power commanders before on my previous bikes and not only do they make more power, but they smooth out the entire power curve and make the bike a lot more ridable.

I got Stage 1 on my CR and I am still waiting to ride it to see the difference between the stock test bikes I rode and my bike. It is definitely louder than stock but I'll wait a few thousand miles to let it break in before making a judgement. I decided to start with Stage 1 and see if it's good enough. If not, I'd probably go the D&D route, maybe with a PCV w/autotune.

CrossRoads
03-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I've read in a review that D&D were nearly twice the weight of the stock mufflers. That to me was a turn off. The next turn off would be to hear that they rob off even as little as 1 HP, and before you know it, I'll be married to the stock pipes for good. I can't think of spending money on an upgrade that turns out to be a downgrade in the end. I'm not saying the D&D are a downgrade. I'm saying I don't know enough about this to make any kind of a decision, and that's why I was hoping someone like KevinX would come in and slap me in the face with some dyno sheets. :crzy:

bryman
03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I've read in a review that D&D were nearly twice the weight of the stock mufflers. That to me was a turn off. The next turn off would be to hear that they rob off even as little as 1 HP, and before you know it, I'll be married to the stock pipes for good. I can't think of spending money on an upgrade that turns out to be a downgrade in the end. I'm not saying the D&D are a downgrade. I'm saying I don't know enough about this to make any kind of a decision, and that's why I was hoping someone like KevinX would come in and slap me in the face with some dyno sheets. :crzy:

True they may weigh more, but the dyno sheet of the D&Ds look pretty nice:
http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/dyno/569-11-12.jpg

Pretty healthy power gain, especially torque. I wonder if my stage 1 pipes even come close to that. But I bet with my bag guards, I already have the extra weight the D&Ds would add ;)

CrossRoads
03-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Bryman, nice! Any dyno results for RPW?

bryman
03-10-2011, 11:57 PM
No idea, I just found that dyno sheet on the D&D website and linked to it.

CrossRoads
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Also I've heard from someone else that the RPWs are not designed to take the middle bracket mount of the saddlebag crash guards. So if one chooses the RPW mufflers, make sure that you don't use crash guards for the bags, or you're happy to mount them in just 2 points instead of 3.

What sucks here is that I get all these pieces of information about one slip-on or another, but I'm unable to get the same info for more than one pipe. Like the weight issue with the D&D - I cannot find anything on the weight of RPWs. Someone could run away from D&D due to the extra weight, but for all we know the RPWs could weigh even more.

The big honkers are apparently illegal in California, and while that doesn't matter to most, it matters to me. But once again, I don't know if the D&D, RPW or Atom Bombs are legal in CA.

And I do realize your normal rider can't do a comparison between these slip-ons, because nobody ends up buying more than one. That's why I was hoping someone who's probably touched both and seen more than one on the dyno, like kevinx, would chime in with their opinion.

bryman
03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I am pretty sure the RPWs will weigh less than stock, because I think they just cut open the stock exhaust and remove the guts, and put a little back in?

dirtdobber
03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I like D&D's exhaust but the tip at the end just isn't my style.

I do not like the funnel look either. End cap would be better even if it costs more. Then again the price of em is a bit too much for me.

cowboy78642
03-11-2011, 11:46 AM
My local dealer put a pair of RPW's on their CC demo bike. OK, now I'm not gonna spend $499 on what amouts to a re- baffled muffler...but man, they do sound nice, way better than a youtube sound clip, more of a deeper , throaty growl than the clip. Wish I knew what kind of baffle they used.

VIC-1
03-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Also I've heard from someone else that the RPWs are not designed to take the middle bracket mount of the saddlebag crash guards. So if one chooses the RPW mufflers, make sure that you don't use crash guards for the bags, or you're happy to mount them in just 2 points instead of 3.

What sucks here is that I get all these pieces of information about one slip-on or another, but I'm unable to get the same info for more than one pipe. Like the weight issue with the D&D - I cannot find anything on the weight of RPWs. Someone could run away from D&D due to the extra weight, but for all we know the RPWs could weigh even more.

The big honkers are apparently illegal in California, and while that doesn't matter to most, it matters to me. But once again, I don't know if the D&D, RPW or Atom Bombs are legal in CA.

And I do realize your normal rider can't do a comparison between these slip-ons, because nobody ends up buying more than one. That's why I was hoping someone who's probably touched both and seen more than one on the dyno, like kevinx, would chime in with their opinion.

I agree with your assessment, many companies are simply cutting, gutting & re-baffling the factory muffler cans for a ridiculous price. The atom bombs from B&E Performance seem to be priced reasonably, but regardless, all of them other than D&D are not posting any performance numbers, so it seems they have their whole focus on the sound. Come folks, I've never heard so much talk about exhaust, downloads, PC's, Fuelers, etc. and so little about real HP, TQ & AFR figures - let see some numbers...:confused:

cowboy78642
03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Well, to tell you the truth, all I'm looking for is a better sounding exhaust. My bike has plenty of power for me right now in stock form. Before my accident, did the Three Sisters, 2-up, with 2 days worth of gear, the bike ran like a champ. Might do some work on it later on, but for now, I just want it to sound like a motorcycle.

CrossRoads
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Well, to tell you the truth, all I'm looking for is a better sounding exhaust. My bike has plenty of power for me right now in stock form. Before my accident, did the Three Sisters, 2-up, with 2 days worth of gear, the bike ran like a champ. Might do some work on it later on, but for now, I just want it to sound like a motorcycle.

So, as long as it sounds better, who cares if you lose some power in the process? Is this the idea? I would like some reassurance that if I upgrade those stock mufflers for better sound, I do get to at least keep the horsepower and torque as when it was stock. Otherwise, how can you spend $500 to lose power on your bike?! I don't care if it sounds like a helicopter, I like the power my bike has. :D

bryman
03-11-2011, 11:25 PM
CR, if you open up the exhaust with any of after-market pipes, add the high flow AF and a properly tuned fuel controller (or ECU remap), you are guaranteed to gain power and torque on this bike. More air + fuel in + less restriction out = more power.

My guess is that any of the hacked up stock exhausts are mostly made for sound and will perform similarly. My money is still on the D&Ds for best power gain. But the gap probably won't be that much if they are all hooked up to PCV's with autotune.

CrossRoads
03-12-2011, 12:42 AM
My guess is that any of the hacked up stock exhausts are mostly made for sound and will perform similarly. My money is still on the D&Ds for best power gain.

Maybe that explains why only D&D posted up a dyno sheet while the other ones didn't.

cowboy78642
03-12-2011, 08:56 AM
That's not quite what I said, I'm more than pleased with my bikes power. Mufflers alone will never increase or decrease power to the extent that you will actually notice it when riding. Now run straight pipes, most V twins will lose some torque down low. Bottom line...I'm not gonna pay $500 for a set of mufflers. I can fab my own set, or recore my stock ones. If I want to spend money on performance upgrades, your talking an intake, cams, fuel controller...now those upgrades you will REALLY notice.

CrossRoads
03-12-2011, 11:44 AM
That's not quite what I said, I'm more than pleased with my bikes power. Mufflers alone will never increase or decrease power to the extent that you will actually notice it when riding. Now run straight pipes, most V twins will lose some torque down low. Bottom line...I'm not gonna pay $500 for a set of mufflers. I can fab my own set, or recore my stock ones. If I want to spend money on performance upgrades, your talking an intake, cams, fuel controller...now those upgrades you will REALLY notice.

You're right. The muffler is not the place to gain power on. I must admit, I'm tempted by a bit more sound, and that's why I'm flirting with the idea of a slip on. I just don't want in the process of spending $500 and getting a deeper sound to also lose power. Even if it's a little torque that's lost, I can't let myself buy a downgrade. I guess a deeper sound would be nice, but I'm cautious of the cost involved - purchase price and loss in horsepower and/or torque.

For performance, one would have to change the whole exhaust, not just the mufflers, as far as I understand it - and yes, as some of you pointed out, a re-flash or fuel controller along with intake would be a must. But I'm not after more power. I would like a bit more sound without losing any of the existing power.

Unlike some of you guys, I don't have the tools nor expertise to re-core the stock mufflers. I could drill, but that's about it.

kevinx
03-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Just an FYI....
RPW is from scratch, and not a recored muffler. Atom Bombs are recores, and I am pretty sure the Ness is also from RPW. The D&D are the only complete system, and yes they are VERY heavy.
As for power. the D&D, and RPW both make the same peak numbers. The D&D makes torque a couple 100 RPM'S lower, and the RPW holds it a little longer

bigseadaddy
03-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Just an FYI....
RPW is from scratch, and not a recored muffler. Atom Bombs are recores, and I am pretty sure the Ness is also from RPW. The D&D are the only complete system, and yes they are VERY heavy.
As for power. the D&D, and RPW both make the same peak numbers. The D&D makes torque a couple 100 RPM'S lower, and the RPW holds it a little longer

Kevin, what do you recommend for power? I never road with stock pips my dealership threw in their modified pipes in the deal. They are gutted stock with a cone shaped mesh baffle tacked into the end. They sound great the bike has power but I am not sure if I lost or gained anything as I have nothing to judge from.

In the past I have read you like a slightly moded stock. What do you mean by that?

VIC-1
03-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Just an FYI....

Do you have any comparison info on the 2.25" Atom Bomb's vs RPW? The 2.25" AB's sound pretty good from the sound clips I've heard, but I have no personal experience or dyno comparisons?

CrossRoads
03-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Just an FYI....

Thank you, Kevin! That's the kind of info I was looking for, and I fully trust your opinion and knowledge. thumb up

dimonback
03-15-2011, 08:37 AM
My dealer gave me two mufflers and two chrome end caps so I would have a pair to try. He said they were going to throw the mufflers out. They came off a XC that had a stage one upgrade.
After a two hour trip one way, yesterday, the wife said she couldn't hear the radio as well as before. I had drilled 5 holes, so you may want to start with 3 or 4 holes evenly spaced. Bike ran perfect and the sound is exactly what I wanted.

Good deal- this will be my second mod (after the backrest!)

CrossRoads
03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
I have found a dyno sheet for the RPW slip-ons, performed by Lloydz on a 2010 XC. Now we can compare this with the D&D and we can form a more informed decision.

RICZ
03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
hey gang--first post here. Looking at exhaust options for the x country.

First--i do not think i want to go with factory stage one and ecm flash---just need more noise, frankly.

second--RPW seems to make noise and power---BUT--do they need a fuel controller or a factory reflash? i would think they would. If so--what's available?

ness exhaust---can't seem to find it anywhere...are they available? Same question on the reflash or fuel controlller.

rollin fast cycle sport---i hear they have a core exchange muffler program....anyone have any experience with them??? Thanks!!!

Check out the other posts about porting the exhaust pipes simply using a 1-1/8" metal cutting hole saw and 20" + extension. Cheap and effective if all you want is some better (but not window rattling) sounds. One post has before and after videos. Good luck. cheers

CrossRoads
03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Alright, I know that these results were done in two different shops, in different temperatures, on two different bikes, burning different fuel, etc. There may be other variables involved, but I'm no dyno expert (maybe someone else can add to the list).

Another unknown is if the RPW dyno figures were done on a bike with a high flow air filter or stock air filter. The D&D dyno shows the addition of D&D slip-ons plus air filter, plus Stage 1 map.

Also, note that the graphs below only include data at every 500 RPM. The line simply connects the dots, and does not represent the readings between those points.

Based on the dyno sheets already posted in this thread, for the RPW and D&D (which includes the stock figures), I have put together the following data:

Then, I've graphed the Stock versus RPW versus D&D horespower, and the end result is this:

And the torque graph looks like this:

As outlined above, given the few unknowns involved in these dyno sheets, we are comparing apples and oranges here. Hopefuly one day, someone does a dyno for both these slipons on the same bike, in the same shop, and shares the results with us. Until then, we have this approximation. :crzy:

RICZ
03-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Apparently the guys and gals in Spirit Lake, Iowa know what they are doing.

matthew.temples
03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I bought the Rolling Fast and put them on in a couple of hours, wasnt all that hard. They sound good, not too loud but loud enough. I havent sent the stock pipes back yet but they do send you a return ticket for UPS. I put the Arlen Ness Cheap shot on but really dont think I needed it. For the price for me it was a good deal.

cowboy78642
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Alright, I know that these results were done in two different shops, in different temperatures, on two different bikes, burning different fuel, etc. There may be other variables involved, but I'm no dyno expert (maybe someone else can add to the list).

Another unknown is if the RPW dyno figures were done on a bike with a high flow air filter or stock air filter. The D&D dyno shows the addition of D&D slip-ons plus air filter, plus Stage 1 map.

Also, note that the graphs below only include data at every 500 RPM. The line simply connects the dots, and does not represent the readings between those points.

Based on the dyno sheets already posted in this thread, for the RPW and D&D (which includes the stock figures), I have put together the following data:

Then, I've graphed the Stock versus RPW versus D&D horespower, and the end result is this:

And the torque graph looks like this:

As outlined above, given the few unknowns involved in these dyno sheets, we are comparing apples and oranges here. Hopefuly one day, someone does a dyno for both these slipons on the same bike, in the same shop, and shares the results with us. Until then, we have this approximation. :crzy:

Hey CR, you put together some great info! thumb up

dirtdobber
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Crossroads, thank you for the graphs.

From this I see that I don't need to do anything. I am fine with the way my XC sounds or the lack of.

VRat
03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
So, who has the best price on the D&D's? Doesn't look like there are many options out there other than D&D.

rek58
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Don't think you're going to find a great price for the D&D's. They will sell direct and also to dealers. Give or take a couple of $'s, you're looking at $700.00. As far as the quality goes, everyone I've talked to, is very impressed with the fit and the finish. I know I am. They are a really nice looking pipe. I am very happy with how they look and how they sound. A real nice rumble, stays in the background while putting around. Definitely has a bark to them when you jump on it. Would I have been happy if I could have saved $100-150? Absolutely, but I have no second thoughts about the purchase.

VRat
03-16-2011, 03:29 PM
I did some checking and there is a deal out there to be had.

www.morepowerracing.com

Call them and ask for their best price. The exhaust ships directly from D&D.

CrossRoads
03-16-2011, 03:32 PM
One idea would be to organize a group buy. If forum members get together and make one purchase for a larger quantity than just one set, I don't see how they could refuse giving it at a lower price.

poppiedmc
03-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Hey Guys

Well I did it and it sounds great. I used a 3/8 bit just to make sure it wasnt getting to loud, and the fact I couldnt find my 1/2 bit didnt help matters either. The one thing I did do different was I cut a 4 1/2 x 2 inch piece of stainless flashing and made a heat shield that scews into the spare hole on the exhaust tips. It goes all the over to the rear mounting bracket for the slip-ons. It took care of the heat and exhaust gas escaping to the bags. So far no need for the silicone. I am definitely going out tomorrow and get that new bit. Cause like you said more is better....Thanks for the great idea and the substantial savings...cheers

Gravyo
03-21-2011, 05:11 AM
I did this to my XC last fall. I also removed the rubber seal in front of the air filter. Adds a couple of HP and a little more sound(like a four barrel). Bike runs great and I have no intention of purchasing any aftermarket pipes.

cball508
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I did some checking and there is a deal out there to be had.

www.morepowerracing.com

Call them and ask for their best price. The exhaust ships directly from D&D.

They have them listed for $635 plus free ship. I also found a link saying to email them and they'll send a coupon code on top of that. I'll let you know what I come up with

***the email failed so I called, gave me a price of $603 w/ free shipping so I ordered! Ordered the black set w/ 45 deg tips. Unfortunately DD is 2-3 weeks out on the shipping, but its still cold here in the northeast I can wait. Hope this helps.-Chris

dirtdobber
03-21-2011, 07:38 PM
They have them listed for $635 plus free ship. I also found a link saying to email them and they'll send a coupon code on top of that. I'll let you know what I come up with

***the email failed so I called, gave me a price of $603 w/ free shipping so I ordered! Ordered the black set w/ 45 deg tips. Unfortunately DD is 2-3 weeks out on the shipping, but its still cold here in the northeast I can wait. Hope this helps.-Chris

I see on the web site they do offer a 45 degree tip but I can not find anything on the D&D site or anywhere else.
Post a photo of these as this has my attention.

dd

bryman
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Here you go:
http://usridernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/7.jpg

http://usridernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ddboss.jpg

http://usridernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/13.jpg

http://usridernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/14.jpg

Taken from this review: http://usridernews.com/2010/10/29/dd-%E2%80%9Cboss%E2%80%9D-slip-ons-for-victory-cross-country-roads-full-review/

cball508
03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
I see on the web site they do offer a 45 degree tip but I can not find anything on the D&D site or anywhere else.

dd

http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/2010/09/569-11-12.htm

Its on the right in black:

569-11T - 08-10 Blk Straight Cut
569-11F - 08-10 Blk 45 Deg. Cut

569-12T - 08-10 Chrome Straight
569-12F - 08-10 Chrome 45 Deg.

dirtdobber
03-22-2011, 07:25 AM
cool thanks

rek58
03-22-2011, 04:51 PM

dd

Dirtdobber, go to page 10 and you can see them before I mounted the pipes on my bike.

Brewhound
03-22-2011, 04:51 PM
well like some of you, I drilled the holes in the exhaust and removed the rubber seal. I also disconnected the o2 sensors. I have yet to take it on a ride, but will take it to work in the morning. I started it up and it sounded allot better. I can not as of yet speak to performance difference, but I will soon e able to tell you. Thanks for all of your posts. They have been more than helpful for a guy like me on a budget. :)

worm5932
03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
i drilled out the center of the baffle with the 20 inch extension, i also just ordered atom bombs tonight. but what i wonder is whe you would unplug the 02 sensors?? they are there to adjust the fuel to keep the exhaust gasses the same mixture (not the right term, its in there just not now), so if you make a small adjustment to the bike such as a slip on, the bike itself should continue to run as efficiently as stock i would think?????

VRat
03-23-2011, 09:15 PM
I received and installed the D&D's tonight and have to say they sound great, just what I was looking for. Very high quality.

BBob
03-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes sir VRat. The D&D's are pretty much the best available these days all the across the spectrum of all the different makes and models of exhaust systems in my humble opinion.

The D&D slip-on's and full system's have made great strides in proving they are the best available at this point in time. That isn't to say there aren't some really good pipes our there that aren't D&D. Sometimes it's just a matter of a couple hp and tq, performance wise. But us goofy big twin riders like to hear the sound of that thumping big twin so we gravitate toward pipes that have that low rumbling sound we've all have gotten to like and respect over the years. D&D has mastered that sound and given us the best tuned pipes available IMHO. Those guys don't waste their time making a set of pipes or muffler's that "will just do". They make them to be the best in the industry. I only say this because I've been studying the best possible exhaust systems available, barring home made, that we can buy. D&D wins hands down every time. Those guys are perfectionists and if someone care's about having the best; they don't need to look much farther than D&D unless you want some custom made pipes for the engine you've built; then there are other choices.

Having said that; I'm happy with the 1-1/8" holes I drilled in the pipes on my 11 XC. Are they as good as the D&D? Nope. No where near actually; but they are acceptable for the short run and they did add hp and tq.

The only pipes that "MIGHT" come close are the RB Racing pipes. Well, shoot, they would actually be much better than the D&D's only because they are a true tuned header pipe. Takes a lot to make that happen. I don't even know if they've turned their attention to the Victory's yet.

Victory is still a small segment in the cruiser/touring/factory custom bike scene. The good news is people are really starting to notice how nice and well built the Vic's are. It doesn't hurt when everyone who ride's one says they don't worry about it breaking down.

cheers

VRat
03-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I received and installed the D&D's tonight and have to say they sound great, just what I was looking for. Very high quality.

Oh yea, I have a set of Centerfire Exhaust for sale if anyone is interested. Very similar to the RPW, a bit quieter with less of a rasp.

Check the link for the sound clip of them.

http://www.rollinfast.com/

Brewhound
03-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Oh yea, I have a set of Centerfire Exhaust for sale if anyone is interested. Very similar to the RPW, a bit quieter with less of a rasp.

Check the link for the sound clip of them.

http://www.rollinfast.com/

How much are you asking for them?

PhilC64
03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Hopefully soon I will be taking a stock XR muffler and recoring it myself. Is there any dyno charts for the A-Bombs available? I'm curious to see what difference there is with them.

Ranman
03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey Guys

Hey Dog,
New to the site and just bought a XC. Reluctant to start drilling on a new bike but have to get better sound and for cheap. Are you still running your XC with the mod? Still no problem without remaping or any engine mod? Has any mechanics had any concerns about doing this? I appreciate the feedback.cheers

RICZ
03-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Hey Guys! Here's a heads up for those wanting to remove the O2 sensors.....exhaust shops will give you (as in free) plugs for the holes. When they receive pipes and cats from suppliers, they come with plugs that they remove and can't use. There are two styles: hex head and allen head. The latter looks best. The engine space on my bike looks a lot cleaner now. Next I drill out the baffles, and then the bike comes down off the lift and I patiently wait for our rains to stop.

CrossRoads
03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Hey Guys! Here's a heads up for those wanting to remove the O2 sensors.....exhaust shops will give you (as in free) plugs for the holes. When they receive pipes and cats from suppliers, they come with plugs that they remove and can't use. There are two styles: hex head and allen head. The latter looks best. The engine space on my bike looks a lot cleaner now. Next I drill out the baffles, and then the bike comes down off the lift and I patiently wait for our rains to stop.

Nice, RiCZ! Show us pics when you get a chance. cheers

RICZ
03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Nice, RiCZ! Show us pics when you get a chance. cheers

Do you want pics of the plug? If so, you'll have to wait until I pick up one to photograph. Or you can drop by your closest exhaust shop. If you want pics of how the bike now appears, I'll try to do that today or tomorrow.

Important! I forgot to say that when installing the plugs, use a liberal (gawd I hate that word) amount of anti seize. And you'll need a 22mm wrench to remove the sensors.

cball508
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
My back-ordered D&D Exhaust came in today. The product looks awesome. Can't wait to put her on! I'll be taking out a Stage 1 if anyone's interested too ;)

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/cball508/DDExhaust.jpg

Lawhound
04-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I Sent my Mufflers of to Bob Yesterday 4/4/2011. They are Scheduled to be Delivered by end of day Thursday 4/7/2011. Bob told me about 3 Day turn around so I should get them back around 4/14/2011. then I will have to change my Sig on this Forum. Doug.

NewCrew
04-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Pics of the plugs installed. Really cleans it up.
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt202/sreynolds_album/vic006.jpg
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt202/sreynolds_album/vic005.jpg

cowboy78642
04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Well, I ordered a set of 2-1/4" spiral louvered baffles from JP Cycles. I'll have to use my own mufflers for the recore as my dealer claimed he did'nt have any around the shop from doing the Stage 1 upgrade. I think I will weld a reverse cone on the end of the baffle to act as anti reversion device, since the diameter of this baffle is larger than stock. Don't think I want a straight thru design like an RPW...sounds good...just a little loud for me. Plus from the Dyno charts I've seen, a straight thru muffler moves the torque curve up the rpm scale. Not really gutting the muffler, just changing the baffle to a little more fre flowing one. I'll post pics and a sound clip when i get this project done.

RICZ
04-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Had a really weird thing happen yesterday. Was out riding with a friend, I'm in the lead at a stop sign and all of a sudden WHAM! I'm hit from the rear and go down on my left side. My friend is down on his right side and I thought he had been hit by the car behind him. Turns out, he thought I was taking off, so he did. Problem was, I was still waiting for traffic to clear. So I reminded him of the 3 second rule: wait 3 seconds after the vehicle ahead moves before you proceed. The only damage was to the right side exhaust tip, where his left fork leg caught it. If any of you have removed your stock exhaust for aftermarket and still have the original bits and pieces, would you be willing to sell just the right side exhaust tip? If so, please PM me with the price. Thanks.

cowboy78642
05-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Well, pulled them off the other day, cut the end of the muffler off, and pulled the stock bafflles out. I modified the louvered bafflle I had ordered from JP Cycles by welding a reducer on the end to open up the 2" baffle to 3", then I welded a 2" extension on the other end to exit the muffler. Welded everything back up, put it on the bike. Man, when i started it up...got a huge smile on my face, it sounded great. Not loud, kind of a mellow rumble. Crack the throttle, and you can really hear it. While riding, it dos'nt drown out the stereo. I compared my bike side by side with a CC with RPW's, and I think mine sounds way better. RPW's are louder, and have more of a crackling sound. I do get a little popping on decel....kinda expected that. I rode about 400 miles yesterday and averaged 48mpg! At times my int MPG hit 56. This is a little more than I was getting in stock form. Performance wise...well I've been riding bikes for 40 years...and have never seen slip on mufflers make much difference in performance. So, just as I expected, performance is about the same. Torque probobly peaks at a little higher rpm, but not very noticeable. I will try to post some pics and possibly a video clip.

playtoy1957
05-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Cowboy
Those reworked mufflers are a work of art,very nice job.I have a buddy who says he knows were there is a stock set of mufflers just sitting on a shelf I will try and get them.
Phil

cowboy78642
05-01-2011, 11:51 AM
While I can cut apart mufflers, fabricate baffles, and weld it all back together...I don't know ho to add a link to the video I posted on youtube:confused:. But you can find them if you go to youtube, and type " cowboy78642 Cross Country exhaust" in the search box.

Beefy
05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
While I can cut apart mufflers, fabricate baffles, and weld it all back together...I don't know ho to add a link to the video I posted on youtube:confused:. But you can find them if you go to youtube, and type " cowboy78642 Cross Country exhaust" in the search box.

Try this: http://youtu.be/7psVg08Ms3E

Now go rev it a little and make another video. :p:D

Ranman
05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Nice job cowboy. Sounds alot like mine!

BBob
05-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Try this: http://youtu.be/7psVg08Ms3E

Now go rev it a little and make another video. :p:D

It was the very next video. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJguZA0q8i4&NR=1

BBob
05-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Here's a vid of the Southern Maryland exhaust in case anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjJRcwIWgpk

And another...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jo96PLAHLg&NR=1

Centerfire...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucG0VDwGhE4&NR=1

And RPW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzmyDamT0bU&NR=1

BBob
05-09-2011, 01:47 AM
These are the 2-1/4" Atom Bombs and they sound just about the same as the mod I did by cutting 2" off the exhaust pipes inside the resonator tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxGrqtH3ovE&feature=related

PhilC64
05-09-2011, 10:53 PM
I like my Thrush 2.25 glass packs. It was a bit of fabricating but I made it work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhilC64?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/wvWBVjtf9e8

BBob
05-09-2011, 11:03 PM
I like my Thrush 2.25 glass packs. It was a bit of fabricating but I made it work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhilC64?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/wvWBVjtf9e8

I like 'em too Phil. Wish they were available for a couple hundred bucks ready to plug and play. I'm sure a lot of folks would gladly pay it.

Great sound!

PhilC64
05-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the compliment BBob! I've thought about fabbing a few sets but time is a precious commodity for me right now. Between work, school, a 2nd job and my 74 Land Cruiser, I don't get enough sleep as is. I have posted up this mod in a couple of other forums with some instruction on how to get it done. A competent exhaust shop could do the work if you were inclined to go that route. Heck even a buddy with a welder and some beer works just as well!

One thing I have found on some of the recores that are out there is that they use a very short baffle in the exhaust. It kills the sound. My next set I'll use a stock XC/XR muffler but with a longer baffle in the exhaust tube than what is currently offered.

hotel lima
06-02-2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/costa-rica-panama/121054d1231181462-coral-star-dec-26th-jan-1-thread_is_worthless.jpg
This pic is BRILLIANT!

Foggy
10-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I just finished reading all the posts in this thread from the beginning and I'm exhausted! ;)

In all of the discussions about aftermarket slip-ons Bassani pipes were never mentioned. A friend put a pair of the 4" slip-ons from Bassani on this spring and everyone agrees that the sound is much better than the stage one's. The cost is about $600.

Not having any money for new pipes, I used a drill bit and extension to open the plate inside the mufflers at the end where they attach to the head pipe. They are now basically flow-through mufflers.

Interestingly at idle they are only slightly louder than stock, cracking the throttle, however, unleashes a snarling blast of vicious fury!!!

No unwanted side-affects have been noted after a season of riding.

ajax
10-25-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm running these, don't know if they've been mentioned or not? But I wasn't going to read through 18 pages to see either?...lol. It took me about a year and a half to decide on these? And really regretted the wait after they were installed.
While Youtube is great, no video, regardless of the exhaust, does them justice? Which is why I didn't bother adding a clip? They have a low rumble at idle. But really sound off when you roll on the throttle! Nice sound at speed, but doesn't interfere with the stereo at all. I'd recommend these to anyone...and have.

http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/1393/victory-motorcycle-parts-exhaust-engine-components-xrxc-muscle-baffle-muffler-sc-471/