Pro's and cons of the xcountry after 1mo' [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Pro's and cons of the xcountry after 1mo'

rking35209
07-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Pros: this bike loves the road. After test riding the Road Glide, Road King I found this bike handles much better. I have a feelling of sittin in the bike vs on it like I did on the 2 Harleys I tested. Its great for a touring bike, but can absolutely murder some curves. My last bike was a vtx 1300 and this bike handles so much better.

Cons: Buffeting, buffeting and more buffeting. I will throw up on the person that tells me this bike even sniffed a wind tunnell. Close to 20 big ones and I'm figuring out how to mod the bike to make it tolerable. At first I thought it was me, but it seems that everyboard that is devoted to the cross country is consumed with this subject as well. Just look on this board ...the longest thread is the one dealing with the buffeting. Even the ones that say they have fixed the problem usually state its now "tolerable", not fixed, but tolerable. If it sound as I'm upset about this I am. How can a company have such a great bike, yet let the buffeting be so bad. I blame my sefl for buying the bike, I was so caught up in the way the bike handled that I over looked the buffeting..........plus my test drives were pretty short and didn't get a good feel for it. If I had it to do over, I would be sitting on my VTX and not be getting my brains beat out on a ride.

diamondrmp
07-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I'll give you $100.00 for it!!! thumb up:ltr:

Try the lowers and the Kewlmetal winglets. Like the title of your thread. Pro's and Cons. No matter what you ride someone will find fault.

rking35209
07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I'll give you $100.00 for it!!! thumb up:ltr:

Try the lowers and the Kewlmetal winglets. Like the title of your thread. Pro's and Cons. No matter what you ride someone will find fault.

There is a difference in finding fault with a bike and having your helmet lifted off your head when you ride.........at least I think so.

badbagger
07-05-2010, 06:22 PM
In truth yes there is buffeting . taller shield and etc. helps
the streetglide and roadglide I had were the same .
then on the hds I did bars with cables ,and seat just to ride
So I think Im still ahead .

xrider
07-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I put on the tall winshield and the lowers 5000 miles iam not having any problems .Iam 6`2 but i dont wear a helmut

Brad Ross
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Have you identified any solutions for the buffering that you would like to suggest? Thanks BR

partycrasher
07-07-2010, 01:11 PM
buffetting on the harleys is not even close to what is taking place on the XC. I have one of each. This touring bike shouldnot have been released like this.

rking35209
07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Have you identified any solutions for the buffering that you would like to suggest? Thanks BR

Brad, Im actually going to look at selling my bike if I'm can come close to what I paid for it. My frustration is growing by the day. If I don't sell it, I will do some of the mods that others are doing.........lowers with a higher shield. Again, I have no one to blame but myself for not looking into this bike anymore than I did. Its a darn shame that they let this b ike go out with this type of buffeting issue.

diamondrmp
07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Brad if you read a little further up in the thread you will see the solution.

diamondrmp
07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Brad, Im actually going to look at selling my bike if I'm can come close to what I paid for it. My frustration is growing by the day. If I don't sell it, I will do some of the mods that others are doing.........lowers with a higher shield. Again, I have no one to blame but myself for not looking into this bike anymore than I did. Its a darn shame that they let this b ike go out with this type of buffeting issue.

Why don't you do the mods first then go from there?

badbagger
07-07-2010, 07:17 PM
I would try a gustafsson +2 with flip . it helps with the buf. allot
www.bikescreen.com

wesdalton
07-08-2010, 10:46 PM

The Following solved the buffeting 100% to MY satisfaction. I repeat 100%. 15"Cee Baileys Windshield. Vic Factory Lowers. I didn't just slap them on and then cry in my beer because they didn't completely stop the buffeting. I spend one afternoon trying different angles on the lowers until I was satisfied. With 1/2 Helmet no buffeting. With 3/4 helmet VERY minor buffeting at speeds above 85 mph. With Bell full face helmet some buffeting above 70 mph. With a more pointed full face helmet (I don't remember the brand, but I bought it several years ago for my Polaris 4 wheeler it works as well as the 3/4 helmet. MY suggestion for all of the whiners is to spend less time complaining, and get off your computer and just go solve the issue yourself. It is not that difficult! And by the way if you want 0 wind just sell the bike like you threaten to and ride your cage.

partycrasher
07-09-2010, 06:30 AM
wesdalton------did you find that the lowers made a significant difference on their own??

wesdalton
07-09-2010, 06:51 AM
wesdalton------did you find that the lowers made a significant difference on their own??

I replaced the windshield with a 13" Cee Baileys before I installed the lowers. From my experience with the stock windshield I was getting no buffeting from below it was all coming from above the windshield. After reducing the dirty air from over the windshield, I think the taller windshield caused more negative pressure and drew more air up from below the tank. That is why I installed the lowers. To back up this discovery, I installed a 15" Cee Baileys windshield and it totally removed all dirty air from over the shield, and it is somewhat wider at the taller portions of the shield and reduced air hitting my upper torso. I then installed the kewlmetal winglets and they made no difference. I think that is because the Vic lowers had allready taken care of the buffeting from below. I am surprised by the amount of complaining on this issue. For the thousands of dollars you save on the vic over a HD and the handling and performance difference I have spent around $400.00 to make me 100% satisfied with my Vic. I will repeat my suggestion that the buffeting is different for riders due to the size of the rider, helmet configuration, and the posture you use when riding. After all Customizing your bike to fit you is one of the enjoyments most of us like about riding.:)

rking35209
07-09-2010, 08:00 AM
The Following solved the buffeting 100% to MY satisfaction. I repeat 100%. 15"Cee Baileys Windshield. Vic Factory Lowers. I didn't just slap them on and then cry in my beer because they didn't completely stop the buffeting. I spend one afternoon trying different angles on the lowers until I was satisfied. With 1/2 Helmet no buffeting. With 3/4 helmet VERY minor buffeting at speeds above 85 mph. With Bell full face helmet some buffeting above 70 mph. With a more pointed full face helmet (I don't remember the brand, but I bought it several years ago for my Polaris 4 wheeler it works as well as the 3/4 helmet. MY suggestion for all of the whiners is to spend less time complaining, and get off your computer and just go solve the issue yourself. It is not that difficult! And by the way if you want 0 wind just sell the bike like you threaten to and ride your cage.

LOL.......wow that was impressive. I don't know but maybe some are like me ......spending another what $500 dollars to keep your helmet from flying off your head is a wee bit of an issue for me. Its its not you.....great I'm happy for ya. FYI...Im an old marine that has fought in 2 conflicts.............I've earned the right to cry in my beer if I want to.

wesdalton
07-09-2010, 08:22 AM
LOL.......wow that was impressive. I don't know but maybe some are like me ......spending another what $500 dollars to keep your helmet from flying off your head is a wee bit of an issue for me. Its its not you.....great I'm happy for ya. FYI...Im an old marine that has fought in 2 conflicts.............I've earned the right to cry in my beer if I want to.

Thank You VERY Much for your service to our country. And you have definitely earned the right to do what ever you want to do.cheers

Sean Edmunds
07-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I am 6' 4" and do find a little buffeting at speeds above 65, but I don't ride at those speeds very much. I prefer the backroads. Anyway, I have heard from Klock Werks that they have preproduction models of their Flare for the XC. They say I am on the call list now, and they will notify me when they have units ready to ship. Maybe this will solve what little problem I have.

As for me I am keeping mine :D

I couldn't be happier with this bike.

Sean

rking35209
07-10-2010, 05:05 PM
If I calculated correctly It cost me around 25 dollars. I used lexan vs the acrylic.

http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/lower.html

bL33d
07-12-2010, 08:16 AM
This is all related to the windshield correct? Aguy that was gonna pull the windshield off and throw on apes wouldent have and issue?

Sean Edmunds
07-12-2010, 11:48 AM
bl33d,

It's all relative. Take one for a demo ride and see how it feels to you. As I said I am 6' 4" and other than a small speed range at highway speed 60-70mph I have no issues. My head doesn't get bobbled around or anything. The only issue I experience is in that very narrow range the wind wants to push my sunglasses down riding with a beanie helmet on. Other than that no prob at all.

gulliverstoe
07-14-2010, 07:50 AM
howdy,

well...thanks for the welcome-responses to my newbie posts...until i get my profile set up ... i will say that i hale from tucson..

i thought i would jump in here with a comment or two on my new XC...cherry... when i poke about a bit an discover how to get pics up...i'll do it...

..i am about 6 weeks into it and have about 2,100 on her...with one over night...i am coming from a VTX13T....still in the garage and taken out for "battery and seals" rides...

first off...for me, the power and handling is supreme..overall the bike is in a completely different class and cannot be compared to the X so i won't bother...

i am about 5-11 and don't wear a helmet unless i have too (i e travel) and do not mind the wind performance...i may be looking into another shield later on..mainly because of bugs....but not for now...

i do have rear end noise (like crickets) but this is getting less as the mile add up...i ignore it.

(by the way, i had her pin-striped and know of a great artist here in tucson)

like i said, the power and handling are great in all conditions, from highway to u-turn practice and parking lots...this machine is effortless to control.

one thing strange...about throttle control, is that she does seem to want to cough a bit sometimes from a stop...it is fairly rare and is happening just as a begin to roll and am in a turn-lean...kind problematic but for now i am considering it as my fault but may ask the "tuner" to try to dial it out on the PC.

and man do these bags get hot...boil an egg in them from what i have seen...i reckon this is due to the lack of ventillation and that they are sitting on the pipes... i may consider some sort of "air port" in the future...but they are huge...as yall know.

about the gas guage performance - mine seems just about spot on at 4 gal..which these days twists-out to be about 180m...but i don't really "dig" the fact that the range goes immediately to "low fuel" rather than just displaying range...i really wonder about the marketing-focus-group meetings that decided this...but it must relate to what some of yall have said about the internal fuel pump...(kind makes reserve useless really)

i have not messed with the air-shock and so can't comment...but the stability in turns is outstanding...i reckon this is part of it...

i have the clip-on backrest-luggage and it is top notch (should be for what they charge)

one beef here...and is the lack of a side-stand kill...in my view, this is a great feature and i am accustomed to it.. so really have to watch my ax on the vic...only one close call so far...on day two...

overall i believe this to be an outstanding machine and can only hope it matches the reliabilty of my honda X...

to close this morning... weird as it seems...but my wheel weights fall off...really...i find them in garage...the "tape" stays on the wheel but the weights drop off...2x on the front and 1x on the back...there is not issue though on the ride...so far at about 105 till the photo-site came up...

cya and look forward to any comments...

diamondrmp
07-14-2010, 02:02 PM
gulliverstoe welcome aboard. You're a lucky Victory rider. If you don't already know you are about an hours ride from the #1 Victory aftermarket company, Kewlmetal. Big Joe owns the place and already has a few X bikes parts!!

He also does VTX and Harley!!!

gulliverstoe
07-15-2010, 07:41 AM
gulliverstoe welcome aboard. You're a lucky Victory rider. If you don't already know you are about an hours ride from the #1 Victory aftermarket company, Kewlmetal. Big Joe owns the place and already has a few X bikes parts!!

He also does VTX and Harley!!!

howdy and thanks

i will look him up...the first thing that has to change is the license plate...i need something laid-back a bit....