New to the Jackpot [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: New to the Jackpot

slarson
12-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Hello. I am about to buy a new 07 Jackpot and have some questions about it. I have been riding for about 40 years. I started on Honda 50cc minibikes am currently riding a new generation Honda Magna. While I love the Magna, I couldn't pass up the yellow extreme graphics Jackpot in the dealership. The only thing that worries me a little is the rear tire and how it feels in turns. Can anyone help me with how long it takes to get used to this and how well it will eventually handle when I do feel comfortable with it?

Thanks.

dnk63
01-05-2008, 07:08 PM
You will love the Bike. It really handles well in turns. i thoght it would crowed the corners but it trails real wel and damn has that bike got the Juice! I bought a straigth vegas as it was for my wife and she didn't want the wide tire but a put alot of miles on the demo bike the dealer had .

slarson
01-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the help. I put some money down on the jackpot, but it hasn't transferered to me yet. The Victory site was down for the dealers yesterday and so I have to wait until Monday.

Slarson

slarson
05-17-2008, 06:37 PM
OK, I have about 2000 miles on the Jackpot now, and love it. I ordered a windshield from National Cycle ( the Dakota) and hate it. I have so much head buffeting it is crazy. Help!!!!!

bigramfan
09-21-2008, 07:47 AM
So you don't like the windshield? I'm not a big fan of it but I was wondering how well it functioned on the highway and in wet conditions?

rdmiran
12-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Hey I bought a leftover 2007 Vegas last July from arizona victory. I love the bike ...I 'v been looking for months now for other vic riders on Oahu and road a few weeks ago in the toy for tots looked around and did'nt see another Vic...let me know and lets hook up. I live Mililani and just found out a Victory dealer has opened up in Kona...

bigramfan
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
rdmiran,

Good to hear from you. I love my Jackpot and just completed more mods to it. I live on Tripler and would be up for a ride anytime. I do travel quite a bit due to my job but I will be home until 10 Jan. Lets go riding before that. I have a small group of guys I ride with (mostly from work) but most of them are off the island visiting family. you can email me at bigramfan70@yahoo.com I saw a 2004 Victory Hammer here on the the Island at the NEX several weeks ago. Talk to you soon.

Is it a Vic dealer or a Polaris dealer?

DJ

rdmiran
12-22-2008, 12:18 AM
I called the number from the web site for Kiser Motorcycles in Kona, HI.
they said it must be a mistake they do not sell Victory Bikes :( ...oh well someday some one will get a dealer in Hawaii...

bigramfan
12-23-2008, 04:15 AM
It would be nice if they opened a Victory dealer in Hawaii but I'm sure it won't happen anytime soon since the vic website talks about maintaining the current dealerships and not opening any new ones.

bigramfan
12-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Ramon, thats a sweet Vegas...nice pics. I would've been on the toys for tots run but I was on business in the the mainland.

rdmiran
12-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Sit tight buddy there are several benefit bike runs we can participate through out the next year on Oahu, I joined Street Bikers United and they sponsor runs for lots of good causes. Today they had one for meals on wheels and last week for our homeless veterans...they accept all types of bikes and riders of good will. I let you know as they come up, its all good fun...:)

bigramfan
12-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Sounds good, lets hope the rain goes away next week so we can ride.
Too bad the weather crappy today.

CycleOpsUSA
08-20-2009, 02:31 PM
OK, I have about 2000 miles on the Jackpot now, and love it. I ordered a windshield from National Cycle ( the Dakota) and hate it. I have so much head buffeting it is crazy. Help!!!!!

I have the Memphis Shades, and even with it lowered a few inches below it's max height, the uffeting is minimal. Haven't tried it all the way up 1) because I like the lower look hugging the light bing on a JP, and 2) my LED signals are moved to just under the top triple tree and are in the way.
Here's the one I have...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/cycleopsusa/DSC00352.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/cycleopsusa/DSC00354.jpg

Flame Daddy
11-28-2009, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=CycleOpsUSA;2090]I have the Memphis Shades, and even with it lowered a few inches below it's max height, the uffeting is minimal. Haven't tried it all the way up 1) because I like the lower look hugging the light bing on a JP, and 2) my LED signals are moved to just under the top triple tree and are in the way.

Wow, that windshield looks great! I have a 2006 CN JP and have been trying to decide which windshield to go with..I think you just convinced me! Thanks for the pics!

CycleOpsUSA
11-28-2009, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=CycleOpsUSA;2090]I have the Memphis Shades, and even with it lowered a few inches below it's max height, the uffeting is minimal. Haven't tried it all the way up 1) because I like the lower look hugging the light bing on a JP, and 2) my LED signals are moved to just under the top triple tree and are in the way.

Wow, that windshield looks great! I have a 2006 CN JP and have been trying to decide which windshield to go with..I think you just convinced me! Thanks for the pics!
Glad the pics helped. If you want to get many, many more idea, go to my website at www.CycleOpsUSA.com and check out all the other cool stuff we make or carry. Our Holiday 15% off sale ends in two days, so you still have time to save big money.

diamondrmp
11-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, as I've posted in other threads. Will, of Cyleops has some great products for our bikes.

Flame Daddy
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
The only thing that worries me a little is the rear tire and how it feels in turns. Can anyone help me with how long it takes to get used to this and how well it will eventually handle when I do feel comfortable with it?

Thanks.

I just got my Jackpot last week (2006) and am having the same trouble with feeling comfortable in the corners. I'm told it just takes seat time.

Also, mine makes a loud wine under engine braking..almost sounds like a jet engine winding down but really loud. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not?

diamondrmp
11-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Since the Jackpot was and is my first bike. I was comfortable from day 1. Until a buddy and I switched bikes for a ride. He has a Vegas. I really didn't understand what everyone was talking about in regard to wide tire bikes.

I've heard some say it took them a week or two and some it took a couple of months. It all depends on the rider.

diamondrmp
11-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Also, mine makes a loud wine under engine braking..almost sounds like a jet engine winding down but really loud. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not?

Is your bike lowered? If so the belt may be rubbing.

Flame Daddy
11-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Is your bike lowered? If so the belt may be rubbing.

The bike hasn't been lowered, but the belt does look like it may have a bit too much slack. I don't yet have a jack to raise the rear tire to check the belt play, but could having too loose of a belt also cause this sound?

Flame Daddy
11-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Since the Jackpot was and is my first bike. I was comfortable from day 1. Until a buddy and I switched bikes for a ride. He has a Vegas. I really didn't understand what everyone was talking about in regard to wide tire bikes.

I've heard some say it took them a week or two and some it took a couple of months. It all depends on the rider.

Yah! At least there's hope...:-)

diamondrmp
11-30-2009, 11:58 PM
The belt should have about an 1/2 inch play when you push down on it.

CycleOpsUSA
12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey Daddy,
The 'while' you're referring to is more likely closer to the sound of a semi's 'jaybrake' on decel. You didn't mention what exhaust you have as you obviously are running a more open system than stock or you'd not get that sound. Personally, I just love that sound... like a compression release so to speak. What is your setup? Airbox? Download? Or Tuner... VFC or PC? And what pipes are you running?
This will help me help you, so let me know.

CycleOpsUSA
12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Daddy,
The 'while' you're referring to is more likely closer to the sound of a semi's 'jaybrake' on decel. You didn't mention what exhaust you have as you obviously are running a more open system than stock or you'd not get that sound. Personally, I just love that sound... like a compression release so to speak. What is your setup? Airbox? Download? Or Tuner... VFC or PC? And what pipes are you running?

I mean the 'whine'!

Flame Daddy
12-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Is this with the bike on the ground instead of jacked up with the rear wheel off the ground?

Flame Daddy
12-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey Daddy,

Thanks CycleOps, interesting comparison. It almost sounds though like it is coming from the transmission. Would it sound like that?

My bike is a stock 2006 Ness Jackpot except for the pipes, which are listed as "Hammer Slashness" on the original invoice which I got from the previous owner. I'm not sure what tune it has, but the invoice does show a "Recal Code" fee which I assume is for installing a tune for the pipes. Does that sound right?

diamondrmp
12-01-2009, 07:53 PM
The manual says jacked up but I've found its better on the ground.

The whine may be from the tranny. Mine does that and I know of others that do it. Remember our trannys are complete gear drive.

Also our engines and tranny are a little on the loud side.

Flame Daddy
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reference, Diamondrmp. When I push down on the belt in roughly the middle, it deflects 1 1/2 - 2 inches with the bike unloaded and leaning on the side stand. Does this give you an accurate enough mesurement?

diamondrmp
12-01-2009, 07:56 PM
That is the point that I use and it sounds like your belt is too loose.

Hey Will, does your JP have the whine too?

Flame Daddy
12-01-2009, 07:59 PM
The manual says jacked up but I've found its better on the ground.

The whine may be from the tranny. Mine does that and I know of others that do it. Remember our trannys are complete gear drive.

Also our engines and tranny are a little on the loud side.

Is the tranny noise loud enough to be heard over the engine sound when engine braking?

diamondrmp
12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes it is. I've heard mine from time to time.

Flame Daddy
12-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes it is. I've heard mine from time to time.

Okay, well maybe the bike's okay then. Do you normally use engine braking when you downshift? I have just found the noise to be so shrill that I tend to avoid it.

diamondrmp
12-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I always engine brake.

Now I'm a little concerned because you are saying it is so shrill. Mine is noisy but Shrill it isn't. Adjust the belt as I know that the belt when it rubs the sprocket cover or belt guard is shrill.

Flame Daddy
12-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I always engine brake.

Now I'm a little concerned because you are saying it is so shrill. Mine is noisy but Shrill it isn't. Adjust the belt as I know that the belt when it rubs the sprocket cover or belt guard is shrill.

Okay, I'm beginning to think that is the problem. Thanks for helping me sort that out.

Do you adjust your belt tension with the rear wheel on the ground and is the belt tension the same whether the rear wheel is off the ground or on the ground?

The manual calls for 9/32" deflection with 10 lbs. of pressure. Have you found that the 1/2" figure you mentioned earlier works better?

diamondrmp
12-01-2009, 11:31 PM
The half inch works fine. You can do it jacked up or on the ground. Just make sure to torque your rear wheel back to 65lbs!

Flame Daddy
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
The half inch works fine. You can do it jacked up or on the ground. Just make sure to torque your rear wheel back to 65lbs!

Okay, will do. I'll let you know if it solves the problem. Thanks again for your help! :)

Flame Daddy
12-07-2009, 07:25 PM

I adjusted the belt today to about 3/4" deflection. I figured I'd start a touch on the loose side for my first adjustment. It's been raining so I haven't had a chance to see if it solved the noise problem. When I loosened the axle nut, I could tell that it had not been torqued to 65lbs., so maybe that's why the belt was so loose.

I don't feel very confident on the alignment though. Since it's a Ness, it's just the measurement from the bolt to the bracket, which doesn't seem very accurate. What's the trick to ensuring the alignment is right?

diamondrmp
12-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Measure from the center of the swing arm bolt to the center of the axle bolt. Thats the way everyone I know and how I do it.

Flame Daddy
12-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Measure from the center of the swing arm bolt to the center of the axle bolt. Thats the way everyone I know and how I do it.

Okay, thanks, I'll give that a try. That seems more logical than what the manual says.

Flame Daddy
12-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I always engine brake.

Yaaah...adjusting the belt solved the noise problem. :D What a relief. Thanks for your help on this!

Flame Daddy
12-09-2009, 09:56 PM

I checked my adjustment against the swing arm bolts and it was the same, so I had the confidence to get on the bike. It seemed to track correctly and the bike rode great. Thanks for your advice!

diamondrmp
12-09-2009, 10:15 PM
You're welcome

CycleOpsUSA
12-10-2009, 07:31 AM
That is the point that I use and it sounds like your belt is too loose.

Hey Will, does your JP have the whine too?
Hey D, no, mine doesn't, but I keep the belt on the tight side and being lowered 1-1/4" I keep the preload fairly tight too. THet'll change soon though when the new Hagon shock replacements with the remote preload adjuster arrive into stock in about a month.

BamaMatt10
07-31-2010, 07:09 AM
I just purchased an 07 Jackpot 3 days ago and have rode in the rain twice already. I was worried with the front tire being so narrow that it would slip and slide. The only thing i noticed was that it can get a little hairy if theres alot of standing water, which it was in my case because of the down poor.