Cross Country rear fender cavity [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Cross Country rear fender cavity

mad dog
08-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Last week I installed a license plate "running and brake light" on my XC. When I removed my right side saddle bag to gain access to the wiring, I was surprised to see that the entire rear cavity of the fender is wide open to the elements and is collecting a lot of road debris on the wiring and connectors behind the main tail light. There is a flange inside the fender that has bolt holes and appears to be a support for an inner fender or mud guard (certainly needs one). Are all Cross bikes like this or am I just missing this inner fender? I am going to make one anyway. Just wasn't sure if mine had fallen off or not. Thanks

diamondrmp
08-27-2010, 08:51 AM
They are all like that. I posted pics from another forum of people that did their own fixes. Do a search and it should come up.

okie57
08-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Can't find links, or pictures. Can you please guide me into their sites, or post what others have down as fixes please. Thanks a lot. I have a 2011 Cross Country and very interested in doing this also since it is torn apart now while it is being painted.

BBob
08-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Could make a heck of nice concealed compartment in there if someone was handy with sheet metal.

diamondrmp
08-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Here ya go.

okie57
08-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Very much appreciate your pictures, and I am on it. I will build something to the like myself-great idea.

gulliverstoe
08-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Very much appreciate your pictures, and I am on it. I will build something to the like myself-great idea.

howdy

connectors and road-grunge don't seem to be a good idea to me either...

so i reckon that both bags and the fender gotta come off to fix this?

diamondrmp
08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
howdy

connectors and road-grunge don't seem to be a good idea to me either...

so i reckon that both bags and the fender gotta come off to fix this?

I would say the pics are pretty self explanatory.

mad dog
08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Good Morning and thanks for the pictures Diamond. For Gulliver, my patch on this problem is like the speed limit signs. By removing both saddlebags it isn't totally necessary to remove the entire rear fender unless you plan on additional work in the area, but you must have very nimble arms, hands, and fingers to squeeze in behind the rear tire and fender. A double jointed neck helps too LOL. I'll see how that works before deciding on a total inner fender like the bottom two photos. Happy riding in Tucson, Gulliver. Just an additional thought, every brand of bike I have owned and ridden over many decades has had something that needed to be fixed, modified, or customized to suit me, even my many BMW's, so I shouldn't expect any difference with my Victory XC. It has come the closest to being perfect for me, right off the showroom floor ---now let's see, how about a set of Thunder Stix===that billet air intake kit from Loydz is sweet---and how about some "bling" for my uh-uh---uh oh, she's looking over my shoulder. Gotta go

diamondrmp
08-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Since I don't own or have worked on the new X bikes IMO I would remove everything just to be sure.

pdsmith
09-04-2010, 03:35 PM
That hole was designed there for you to mount your CB/Com radio. I imagine they could have installed a rubber cover to remove if you decided you wanted to mount a CB/Com system.

mad dog
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
It doesn't appear as though the CB radio is very well protected either. A rubber or plastic cover is definitely in order here, maybe even a complete plastic wheel well liner, as on (cough-cough) automobiles. Don't get me wrong---I love my Cross Country. It's just that I would have done a few things differently. Must complain about something. People just don't understand this sardonic grin!!! PHIL

diamondrmp
09-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Actually Victory bikes have the rubber liners. I don't understand why and don't know anyone that understands why Victory left that open and didn't put the rubber liner over it.

rowanatkinson97
07-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Contaminants and provide job protection for traditional oil filters capture the real world is important and capture and hold.

NOEMTZ
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Local guy did that fix....told me his tire will hit it on occasion while on two up riding. He recommended make one concave and attaching it in same manner.

Just sharing...I have no first hand experience with this either as I don't own or ride an XC YET!....lol