Nomad Owner Considering XR/XC -- Recommendations? [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Nomad Owner Considering XR/XC -- Recommendations?

jackstrat
10-26-2010, 06:29 AM
I own a Nomad 1500 and am considering the Road King, Nomad 1700, or Victory XR/XC.....

I would greatly appreciate any advice or comments regarding the Victory baggers versus these other choices.

I am a little surprised by the varying and often negative comments about the Victory XR/XC given the good specifications and favorable press from the riding pros.

I am also thinking about hanging a sidecar onto the bike I choose.

Thanks,
jackL

www.thewoodshop.20m.com

rdeerx
10-26-2010, 07:49 AM
I owned a 2001 Nomad FI. Served me well and decided to make a change. Having such good service out of the 01, I went and traded it for a 2009 Kawasaki 1700 in Nov. of 2009. Liked the bike alot. But was not real pleased with the fuel mileage. A friend bought a 2010 XC in April. My thought was this is a really nice bike. The 2 of us took off on a 6800 mile trip, Jun 30 thru Jul 17th, from FL to CO, WY, MT, SD & back to FL. I immediately noted his fuel mileage. Running on the open rode, I would put in 4.7 gallons, & he 3.6 or 3.7. Much better mileage. while I was getting 32 to 36 mpg, he was seeing 44 to 47 mpg. The 09 Nomad was really hot riding across KS with 105 degree temps. The fan would just toast your legs while slowed up going thru small towns. And I had the improved heat shielding upgrade done to mine. I find the XC to be a cooler riding bike and I am in FL. Then on July 28th, I went and traded for my 2010 XC. In my opinion, much more bike than the 1700 Nomad. Granted a few extra dollars, but we only live once. If you can, get copy of the Rider magazine, May 2010 issue. Has a comparison write up of the XC to a Harley Street Glide(In essence a Road King with batwing fairing). The same issue has a write up on the 1700 Nomad. Maybe that will help your decision. Love my XC!!!!!

PS-As for the sidecar, I don't know what is available.

dirtdobber
10-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Test ride if at all possible. Plus do a little research on a sidecar for each bike.
This may cut down on your options.

Winter is almost here so you will have time before riding season.

dd

CrossRoads
10-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I am a little surprised by the varying and often negative comments about the Victory XR/XC given the good specifications and favorable press from the riding pros.

At first, I was surprised too. Then I realized that the pickiest and hardest-to-please riders chose Victory. They will whine if the wind doesn't blow in the right direction, and complain on how their bike doesn't automatically avoid bad weather. On the positive side, they've made their purchase based on research of what is truly the better product. They didn't get a Victory because their cousin has one. The "hail to my brand" type go to Harley. Now that you have my 2 cents, don't forget to earn some interest on them, and give 'em back sometime in the future ;-)

jackstrat
10-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Just had my victory XC/XR balloon popped. Dangnabit!!!

Turns out, the Core Frame of the XC/XR don't allow for sidecar mounts.

At least on paper (specs, reviews, photos), none of the other baggers hold a candle to the XC/XR.

Dang! Dang! Dang!

Oh, and thanks for your helpful replies!!!!

jackL

CrossRoads
10-26-2010, 01:47 PM
:o Bummer! :o