What scrapes first? [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: What scrapes first?

Expat
11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
I love to ride aggressively in the curves, but at the same time I don't like surprises in the middle of them, so I'd like to know what's the first thing that scrapes on an XC? From outward appearances it'll be the massive highway bars, which wouldn't be too forgiving and probably end up being quite expensive, and possible painful. My Roadking gave me ample warning with the floorboards hitting first, but I still knew I had about five more degrees of lean angle before anything "Hard" scraped. I'd really like to push the XC harder, especially since it seems to beg for it, but I don't cherish the idea of learning the hard way. Thanks.

Expat
11-03-2010, 02:49 AM
Hey folks, what gives? No one here ever scrape anything in the twisties?

gulliverstoe
11-03-2010, 07:59 AM

howdy xpat..

from the sound of it, your break in ride went ok,

as for scraping...for me not so aggressive in the twists but sometimes in low speed corners i scrape the boards - just a tad...cause they have very little travel...compared to my honda and nc-paladins for example...now then, 2 up with 0 air in the shock, in similar low speed turns...it is the tail end of the tail pipe that scrapes...so now i am running about 15 lbs...i think...to continue, the air pump seems useful as a backup inflation tool for flat repair (stop-and-go mushrooms and c02 here)

Gonzo18
11-03-2010, 03:06 PM
The first day I bought my Crossroads, my wife and I went for a ride. I should have added air in the suspension (I do now). We were making a sweeping right hand merge. I scraped the right rear heat shield on the exhaust. You have to get low and look up on the exhaust to see it thank God! But, definitly put air in the suspension for the appropriate weight!cheers

Outlander
02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know what the actual maximum lean angle is? HD publishes their's per SAE J1168. Does Victory?

sanqhar
02-09-2011, 12:13 PM
For low speeds check out the Police videos

http://www.victorypolicemotorcycles.com/victorypolicevideos.html

tom

warr110r
02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Those are some great videos that confirm the performance of this great bike.

Outlander
02-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I guess I have myself to blame for the responses I'm generating. I should have started a new thread to ask my question rather than revive this old one.

I'm interested in what the SAE J1168 lean angles are for these bikes.

Thanks

visionjohnny
02-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Why don't you have a buddy come over start the bike and then one of you lean it over. You can find out when it quiets and what would hit first.
For some reason I'm thinking if you get over so far that the lean sensor works you'll be crashing and it doesn't matter then now does it.

RICZ
02-09-2011, 04:03 PM

How's this look? :crzy:

Outlander
02-09-2011, 05:06 PM
How's this look? :crzy:

If someone was standing next to it with a protractor that would have been pretty darn useful.

CrossRoads
02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
If someone was standing next to it with a protractor that would have been pretty darn useful.

It turns out someone was standing there with a protractor. :ltr:

This is an approximation since the camera is not parallel with the front-rear axis of the bike, but from this you could conclude that 41 of lean is not achievable. (90-49=41)

This image might tell a closer story, but this is also not accurate since the motorcycle is not loaded. Once loaded the lean angle will decrease, so based on this image, I would say 53 is also not achievable. (90-37=53)

Finally from this picture, where sparks are already flying, you can see the max lean angle is below 34 (90-56=34).

Based on these pictures, I would think it is safe to conclude that the Cross bikes cannot not be leaned more than 33 without grinding some metal.

bigseadaddy
02-09-2011, 06:17 PM

I ride aggressive and the first that scraps with me is my floor boards. I have yet to scrap any thing more.

On my softail I would scrap pipes, guards, boards, hell I would leave more chrome on the road then the bike :crzy:

Ride it like you stole it!!!! cheers

Outlander
02-09-2011, 06:31 PM
It turns out someone was standing there with a protractor. :ltr:

This is an approximation since the camera is not parallel with the front-rear axis of the bike, but from this you could conclude that 41 of lean is not achievable. (90-49=41)

This image might tell a closer story, but this is also not accurate since the motorcycle is not loaded. Once loaded the lean angle will decrease, so based on this image, I would say 53 is also not achievable. (90-37=53)

Finally from this picture, where sparks are already flying, you can see the max lean angle is below 34 (90-56=34).

Based on these pictures, I would think it is safe to conclude that the Cross bikes cannot not be leaned more than 33 without grinding some metal.

Thanks, that's a very creative and appreciated effort on your part. Its not what I was hoping to see but not totally unexpected.

BigRedXerII
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I guess I have myself to blame for the responses I'm generating. I should have started a new thread to ask my question rather than revive this old one.

I'm interested in what the SAE J1168 lean angles are for these bikes.

Thanks

See my new post on this thread. I have scape my XC a few times since the Dragon run and it has been the floorboards that contact first. Now its the center stand.

Watch those Victory police vidios and you will see some amazing performace of this bike. I need to get out and practice. :)