Saddlebag guards [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Saddlebag guards

ladyridr
11-03-2010, 10:39 AM
I am trying to decide if I should purchase the hard saddlebag guards for my XR.

I know there can always be a slip of the foot or the chance of dropping in a slow speed turn.

Can anyone give me some advice on their experiences. If the bike has been dropped does it damage the bags.

Dixie

dirtdobber
11-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I hit a low spot when backing out on a angle at my daughters. I dropped the bike on it's side. The Floorboard held it off the crash bar and bags. I know why the FB's are so big.

I will still be adding the saddle bag guards for 2 reasons. 1) I think they look good and 2) more protection.
I would like to see a set on a bike, I might be able to make them a lot cheaper.

dd

jokerman
11-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I am trying to decide if I should purchase the hard saddlebag guards for my XR.

I know there can always be a slip of the foot or the chance of dropping in a slow speed turn.

Can anyone give me some advice on their experiences. If the bike has been dropped does it damage the bags.

Dixie

I got mine at my dealer when I purchased my XC. Way better than the Polaris ones, for sure + they look greatthumb up

Here is their website: http://www.arizonavictory.com/

dirtdobber
11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
That is the ones I am wanting

got a part number

dd

jokerman
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Just call the Phoenix store & ask for Kyle. Tell him you want the same ones that Jokerman has & he will fix you up!

And that is no joke!:ltr:

anrman
11-04-2010, 09:07 AM
When I picked up my bike, I opted for the leather bags but kept the hard bag guards. The hard bag guards end at a point on the outside, where the soft bag guards wrap around and end by the exhaust. Just thought they looked better. Don't know if they offer the same protection, but it's all about looks, isn't it?

rking35209
11-07-2010, 09:24 PM
When I picked up my bike, I opted for the leather bags but kept the hard bag guards. The hard bag guards end at a point on the outside, where the soft bag guards wrap around and end by the exhaust. Just thought they looked better. Don't know if they offer the same protection, but it's all about looks, isn't it?

I see you used to own BMW bikes......wondering if you could tell me how the cross bike handles compared to the bmw.....my choices were btwn the 2 bikes and I went with the cross.

anrman
11-08-2010, 05:57 AM
I see you used to own BMW bikes......wondering if you could tell me how the cross bike handles compared to the bmw.....my choices were btwn the 2 bikes and I went with the cross.
I came of a K13S, which is their sports cruiser. I never rode anything but this series and couldn't tell you anything about the different models. The K13S is way more a sport than a cruiser. It happens to be one of the top 5 fastest production bikes bikes being sold today, which is why I'm not on it anymore. I haven't grown up yet and I was spending way more time hunting sport bikes than enjoying time on the road. They are expensive to buy, but the high maintance costs are not the case. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Xcriders
11-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I like the guards is there a chance you could put a picture of the mounts without bags? I am thinking of making my own just because of budget and all.
Thanks

I got mine at my dealer when I purchased my XC. Way better than the Polaris ones, for sure + they look greatthumb up

Here is their website: http://www.arizonavictory.com/

AustinTx-LT
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
A couple of thoughts...

Just this weekend I was riding and I'll make a very long story short, the bike dropped on the right side. Gently, but down nonetheless.

Damage report: I challenge anyone to find it. Very small scratch on the engine guard on the bottom side. Can only be seen if someone is on their hands and knees. The back of the bike came squarely on the lower, outside edge of the bag. Small scrape on the bottom side - again, hands and knees. I won't be doing anything to fix it as it would be a complete waste of money.

I'd buy the guards if I thought I wanted more chrome. To me, drops and fixes are a part of ownership.

Onto the second part - I came off a BMW K1200GT to XR. Two completely diffrent bikes. I sold the BMW because... of drops. It's a high riding bike that is top heavy and when it dropped, no matter how gentle, it was a $1,200 minimum repair. I'm much more comfortable, confident and relaxed on the XR with it's lower center of gravity. The BMW's have their bugs too, but they cost huge. Known fixed drive issues, fuel injection stuff and requiring a PHD to work on.

For the record, I've never, ever felt as if I was about to drop my XR. It dropped because I rode it across a low bridge here in Hill Country that had water running over it. Slick as ice. Basically, a bad decision to cross. Other than that, I love the bike.

CrossRoads
11-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Glad to hear you're safe (bike's replaceable anyways). The fact that the bike's escaped with tiny marks is also good news. I'm afraid of dropping mine, so I ride granny style. I prefer the look without crash guards for the rear.

I almost dropped mine in the garage, while inflating the tires. I guess the garage is sloped a little towards the exit, and the bike was facing that way. When I pushed the pump onto the front wheel valve, I gave it enough push to get her moving (very slowly). At that time, I was laying on the garage floor in order to have better wheel access. Needless to say, I jumped up as if I was on fire, and grabbed her. She had moved forward, and was about to come off the side step. Had she fallen, she would've fallen on me, with or without crash guards, it would've hurt.

Ride safe and pump air in the tires with extreme caution! LOL

dirtdobber
11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
As I was leaving my daughters house I was backing out of her dive way. They have these really tall curbs. The bike stopped because I ran out of leg room to touch the ground. The bike fell over on the right side. The floorboards held if off the bags and crash bar. Not a scratch.

I like the bag guards and will in time get a set.

dd

schumacher
12-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Is anyone else a bit disapointed in the guards for the hard bags? I like the guards for the soft bags, and I wish that both pair looked the same

gregbenner
12-09-2010, 02:51 PM
I have the gurdes on my black XC, are they really aren't very noticable due to the chrome on the exhaust. Haven't "tried" them yet.

I also have a BMW, a R1200GS. Its quite a bit lighter, maybe 500 lbs or so. Mine has Ohlin suspension as well, and handles wonderfully.

However, to me, the Victory rides and handles like a big BMW, which is meant as a significant compliment.

RICZ
12-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Ladyridr; I recently got hit by a car coming from my left. Got slammed down on the right side pretty hard. Momentum had me traveling a bit while down and ground the outer corner of the highway (crash) bar, the bottom of the floor board and the bottom out edge of the hard bag. I wish I had installed those guards, so it would have saved the case. I'm now closing the barn after the horse has been stolen and am installing the guards in case there's another spill. I think the Cross Roads looks cleaner without 'em, but.....
I'd add a photo of the crash scene if I know how. Can someone help me do that?

CrossRoads
12-18-2010, 01:17 AM
I'd add a photo of the crash scene if I know how. Can someone help me do that?

Post a reply, and at the top of the box you're typing in, there's a paper clip icon - click it, then click browse, chose the picture, press upload. Repeat for more photos.

Btw, glad you're okay.

RICZ
12-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Post a reply, and at the top of the box you're typing in, there's a paper clip icon - click it, then click browse, chose the picture, press upload. Repeat for more photos.

Thanks for that help. BTW, the driver that hit me came up from Half Moon Bay, CA to do the dirty deed....note the license plate and the stop sign. An overpriviledged 18 year old driving daddy's Mercedes while using a cell phone, which is a no-no here too. The only damages were scrapes on the bottom outer edge of the hard bag, some marks on the bottom of the floorboard and abrasions on the highway (crash) bar, which did an excellent job of protecting everything else. Here are a couple ugly pix of my Cross Roads;

RICZ
12-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Austin; I just read your post and our experiences are very similar. I had a first gen Yamaha Venture and it too was tall and top heavy. Had to "graduate" to a lower seat and CG in order to continue riding in my mid 70s, but I have never liked anything about cruisers. It's as if Victory asked guys like me, "What would it take to get you to buy one of ours?" And they produced it in the XR. Here are some of the features that turned me on to the XR: big passenger seat, lots of suspension travel, great lean angle, large bags and stand out good looks. I can't park it anywhere without it drawing a crowd.

CrossRoads
12-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks for that help. BTW, the driver that hit me came up from Half Moon Bay, CA to do the dirty deed....note the license plate and the stop sign. An overpriviledged 18 year old driving daddy's Mercedes while using a cell phone, which is a no-no here too. The only damages were scrapes on the bottom outer edge of the hard bag, some marks on the bottom of the floorboard and abrasions on the highway (crash) bar, which did an excellent job of protecting everything else. Here are a couple ugly pix of my Cross Roads;

Ouch. It hurts to look. Yappin' on cellphones or texting while driving is illegal in CA also, but I see numerous people do it.

Was there a police report? Look at the bright side: the 18 year old driving daddy's Mercedes is better than some idiot without insurance. At least daddy's insurance will fix your bike. If I were you, I'd get a lawyer too if you haven't already. You want to make sure your bike gets fixed and if any pain shows up in the days after you want to make sure you get physical therapy going.

RICZ
12-18-2010, 11:56 AM
A cop just happened on the scene but didn't issue a citation, saying they don't do that anymore. What?!? Fortunately there's insurance and the company is assuming all responsibility. Damage to bike and rider was limited to only scrapes and bruises. Bike received same owies as Austin's did, a few posts back - just the edge of case and crash bar. Can't be seen when bike is on its wheels and you are on your feet. But, unlike Austin, I am replacing the bar.

CrossRoads
12-18-2010, 12:13 PM
A cop just happened on the scene but didn't issue a citation, saying they don't do that anymore. What?!? Fortunately there's insurance and the company is assuming all responsibility. Damage to bike and rider was limited to only scrapes and bruises. Bike received same owies as Austin's did, a few posts back - just the edge of case and crash bar. Can't be seen when bike is on its wheels and you are on your feet. But, unlike Austin, I am replacing the bar.

Good to hear. Even a slow speed crash can yield some unwanted complications, but I see you wear nice ankle protection! thumb up

Did the left side saddle bag open during the crash, or did you open it afterwards to get stuff out? Just wondering.

RICZ
12-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I had opened the lid to get my camera out and take pictures. I always pack a camera just in case.