Help! Stuck in Gear?! [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Help! Stuck in Gear?!

CrossRoads
11-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey Guys,

I really need your help. I was riding home from work (25mi ride), and a block from home, the bike got stuck in one gear - I think.

I cannot shift to neutral, no matter what I try. Once I start the motor, it runs fine, until I begin to release the clutch. Once I release the clutch, the RPM drops, and the engine stalls.

To get her home, I only slighly released the clutch, giving the wheel enough power to roll home (5-10mph) and gave it a tiny bit of throttle to keep the RPMs high enough to get her moving. To my limited knowledge, I think she's stuck in a higher gear (3rd perhaps). Now she's home. What do I check? Any ideas?

By the way, it was 95F today, and have ridden the whole 25mi in constant acceleration/deceleration as part of my break-in. Did she overheat? Is it normal for her to stay in some strange gear? When I release the clutch, partly, the instrument cluster did display various gears, such as 3, 2, and 1.

Please help with any input you might be able to provide. Thank you!

diamondrmp
11-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Check your shifter and shift linkage rod and make sure it isn't binding on anything.

It sounds like you are stuck in gear.

Also forget about trying to find Neutral for now. Try and take her through the gears while sitting still.

CrossRoads
11-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Check your shifter and shift linkage rod and make sure it isn't binding on anything.

It sounds like you are stuck in gear.

Also forget about trying to find Neutral for now. Try and take her through the gears while sitting still.

Not sure I can take her through gears, thanks to the Neutral Assist feature, but I'll go inspect some more. When I try shifting, I hear the tranny "clank" - I'll try to move it up and down and see if it gets me anywhere.

Btw, should I wait 'till she cools off before I attempt anything, or that doesn't matter?

CrossRoads
11-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks diamond! I sat on her, and just switched gears up and down, and neutral showed up! I think she's back to normal. Is getting stuck in gear common? Have I done something wrong to cause this? This is my first time being stuck in gear. Please advise.

diamondrmp
11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I would take a look at the shift linkage. It may be binding.

Check the oil. You never know.

CrossRoads
11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Shift linkage looks OK to the naked eye, from the outside at least. I just took he for a spin, and it happened again. While decelrating, I came to a stop, and couldn't get it back into neutral again. So I turned off the motor, and tapped up and then down a few times, and it went to neutral. So it doesn't want to go to neutral while running?

Will check fluids as soon as she cools off a little...

Tarzan
11-04-2010, 09:28 PM
You should get it back to the dealer.Something is wrong.Your transmission is suppose to be smooth shifting in the new bikes.That was a big improvement this year.Even the older bikes don't get stuck in gear as far as I've seen.My Kingpin has a hard time finding neutral when hot,but never sticks in any gear.

kevinx
11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
You should get it back to the dealer.Something is wrong.Your transmission is suppose to be smooth shifting in the new bikes.That was a big improvement this year.Even the older bikes don't get stuck in gear

+100 on that

diamondrmp
11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Take it to the dealerthumb upthumb upthumb upthumb up

BBob
11-04-2010, 09:56 PM
This is probably a dumb question but are you downshifting to first gear when coming to a stop. I've noticed a bit of trans issue if I, say, come off the freeway and don't steadily downshift while slowing down and coming to a stop. The first time it happened I was a little surprised but not much. My HD does the same thing.

dirtdobber
11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
VTX's and GW do that at times but mostly the vtx retro's.
Take a can of WD40 and spray it at the lower/upper linkage where the joints are. If it is dry they can hang the shifter. Make sure the WD40 gets into the joints real good. Let us know if it helps. First check the oil.

With the engine running (after checking the oil) and lubing the joints. Let the clutch out some so the transmission will be turning and see if it will change.

If setting still the clutch will separate but with the transmission not turning the forks can hang.
That is why it is suggested to down shift as you are stopping.

just a thought

dd

CrossRoads
11-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Alright, so as I mentioned, today was record high temps (95F), and I have not spared the bike from a strenous 25mi of continuous acceleration and deceleration. It was in the back of my mind that I could overheat it. I'm guessing that could be part of the problem.

When it happened the first time, I'm not sure if I did downshift through the gears as I came to the stop. Since it was the first time it happened, I didn't pay attention, and it took me by surprise. The second time I took the bike for the test ride, i did downshift through the gears for sure... went from 5th to 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. Then I pulled in the clutch, and was completely stopped. Pulled up on the shifter, and I was still in 1st. I tried two more times, then I shut her off. With the engine off, I tapped down a few times, then up a few times, and Neutral showed up.

I will follow your advise and go check oil right now, and give it some wd40 as some of you suggested.

Did I mention this is my first bike with manual transmision?! Don't assume it's the bike - it could be me doing something wrong. I usually do downshift through the gears, but will keep myself in check to make sure I don't forget to do so.

dirtdobber
11-04-2010, 10:40 PM
The XC/XR bikes require a little more of a firmer lift or push for it to go into another gear. If you are stopped and attempting to change gears they can be a problem getting them to change.

Then I pulled in the clutch, and was completely stopped. Pulled up on the shifter, and I was still in 1st. I tried two more times, then I shut her off. With the engine off, I tapped down a few times, then up a few times, and Neutral showed up.

From your description above you were sitting still. Which can cause

If setting still the clutch will separate but with the transmission not turning so the forks can hang.
That is why it is suggested to down shift as you are stopping

Let out on the clutch slightly to the point the bike starts to move then pull the clutch in and change the gear.

It may take you a while to get the hang of it. I do not think you have a problem with the bike, I think it is riders error

just a thought

dd

BBob
11-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Also; don't worry about the heat. These bikes can handle the heat just fine. I broke mine in when it was over 110 degrees. It got hot around the inner thighs if I ran it hard from stop light to stop light but otherwise did great.

They test these bikes around here because of the heat. They hire people to ride the bikes for 8 hours a day riding in all kinds of conditions. HD does the same thing here. There's a test track about 45 minutes away (in Yucca off I-40) as well.

CrossRoads
11-04-2010, 11:01 PM
It may take you a while to get the hang of it. I do not think you have a problem with the bike, I think it is riders error

I think so too. I think it's me. Could've been tired (had a long day at work) and combine that with inexperience and problems show up out of nowhere :D

Btw, checked engine oil (did you guys mean for me to check tranny oil?) and it looks good. Lubed the shifter linkage with wd40 even though it did look clean as new. While stopped, it clicks in N and in 1st without any problem. Will ride it again in the morning, and see if I got better at shifting. :ltr:

CrossRoads
11-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Also; don't worry about the heat. These bikes can handle the heat just fine. I broke mine in when it was over 110 degrees. It got hot around the inner thighs if I ran it hard from stop light to stop light but otherwise did great.

They test these bikes around here because of the heat. They hire people to ride the bikes for 8 hours a day riding in all kinds of conditions. HD does the same thing here. There's a test track about 45 minutes away (in Yucca off I-40) as well.

Good to hear. Sounds like I'll pass out from heat exhaustion before the bike does. cheers

diamondrmp
11-05-2010, 02:05 AM
I'm not sure if I've misunderstood you.

Is the problem that you cannot find NEUTRAL?

Or

Does the bike get STUCK in a gear as you titled the thread?

There is a huge difference between not being able to find neutral and being STUCK in a gear.

jokerman
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Did I mention this is my first bike with manual transmision?! Don't assume it's the bike - it could be me doing something wrong. I usually do downshift through the gears, but will keep myself in check to make sure I don't forget to do so.:confused:

Gee, Crossroads......just wondering what you have ridden in the past. Sounds like you have taken a huge step forward & will have a lot of things to get used to! I have a 2011 XC & she shifts a lot smoother than my old Jap bike.

Good luck!
JOKERMAN

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure if I've misunderstood you.

Is the problem that you cannot find NEUTRAL?

Or

Does the bike get STUCK in a gear as you titled the thread?

There is a huge difference between not being able to find neutral and being STUCK in a gear.

It was in some higher gear (3rd or higher), the first time it happened. And I could not downshift it to to neutral or first. But then once you commented to just move it through the gears, I've done so with the engine turned off, and eventually she popped in neutral. It felt like a high gear because the bike would stall if I tried to let the clutch out and roll with it. Maybe I didn't downshift at the previous stop, and thinking I was in 1st, I was waiting for the green light with the clutch pulled.

I'm sorry for the confusing threat, but you gotta remembered I'm confused too, so how can I post a clear thread?

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Did I mention this is my first bike with manual transmision?! Don't assume it's the bike - it could be me doing something wrong. I usually do downshift through the gears, but will keep myself in check to make sure I don't forget to do so.:confused:

Gee, Crossroads......just wondering what you have ridden in the past. Sounds like you have taken a huge step forward & will have a lot of things to get used to! I have a 2011 XC & she shifts a lot smoother than my old Jap bike.

Good luck!
JOKERMAN

Heh, I was hoping nobody would ask, and I could just let it slide unnoticed. My previous bike, which I traded in for the XR was a 2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (180cc). I've attached a pic because I'm sure nobody here knows what they look like.

jerbarb
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Its a new bike and should not have that issue almost no matter what YOU do. Get it to the dealer!!!

diamondrmp
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
It was in some higher gear (3rd or higher), the first time it happened. And I could not downshift it to to neutral or first. But then once you commented to just move it through the gears, I've done so with the engine turned off, and eventually she popped in neutral. It felt like a high gear because the bike would stall if I tried to let the clutch out and roll with it. Maybe I didn't downshift at the previous stop, and thinking I was in 1st, I was waiting for the green light with the clutch pulled.

I'm sorry for the confusing threat, but you gotta remembered I'm confused too, so how can I post a clear thread?

LOL....I think we are all clear now!:ltr::ltr:

Still, take it to the dealer if you are having problems with finding neutral and or being stuck in gear!

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
She's going in to the dealer for the 500mi service in just a few days. They will also have to fix the cruise control, because that's not working. I will add for them to check the transmission also, just to be sure, and I promise to be extra careful, and pay attention to what I'm doing for the next few days. :-)

dirtdobber
11-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Post what you find out. We all can learn from this.

dd

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Post what you find out. We all can learn from this.

dd

I'm sorry, but I think the lesson here is not to listen to rookies. :o

I just rode to work, and I caught myself red-handed. Exited freeway, downshifted down through 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st, almost like a well seasoned rider. Then as the bike was slowing to a stop, still in 1st gear, I pulled up on the shifter to bring her to neutral. This is what I was doing wrong, and this explains why it only happened twice in the 280 miles I've put on it. I try to move it to neutral too soon, and since she was still moving, it went from 1st to 2nd! Given this new observation, I would venture to assume that yesterday I've done the same thing. I've even given her more gas to get rolling in 2nd, thinking I was in 1st... and as I was rolling, looked for neutral, and probably moved it to 3rd, and then stalled.

Alright, so I'm the culprit! Sorry for all the commotion, and thank you all for jumping in to assist me. thumb up

jerbarb
11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Like I said "almost" nothing YOU could do wrong.

visionjohnny
11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Say is your clutch working right. Some times when the clutch cable is not adjusted right you can not find neutral.
If you don't have a manual Diamond might have one down loaded here and you can check that. Remember that to adjust the clutch the bike has to be "cold"

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Like I said "almost" nothing YOU could do wrong.

LOL! Nothing's 100% idiot proof. :ltr:

Say is your clutch working right. Some times when the clutch cable is not adjusted right you can not find neutral.
If you don't have a manual Diamond might have one down loaded here and you can check that. Remember that to adjust the clutch the bike has to be "cold"

That sounds like a great project for tomorrow morning! Thank you.

kevinx
11-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Been thinking about this since last night and had a couple of thoughts

1] These bikes like to be downshifted to a light. If you leve it in gear, and try to down shift at a light to first. You have to partialy release the clutch for each gear as you go through it

2] never downshift past second until you are stopped; unless you want to replace some shift forks

3] You should be in gear at a stop light, and watching your mirror. You do not have enough time time shift, and go. If things go bad behind you

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 04:40 PM
1] These bikes like to be downshifted to a light. If you leve it in gear, and try to down shift at a light to first. You have to partialy release the clutch for each gear as you go through it

I didn't know that. This could explain how I was left in a higher gear, when I thought I was in a lower gear. I will make sure to release the clutch after each downshift from now on.

2] never downshift past second until you are stopped; unless you want to replace some shift forks

I didn't know that either. I've been shifting into first whenever I had to slow down to below 10mph - like traffic situations, where I can't stop, but I can't go faster than 10mph either. In my defense, whenever I shifted from 2nd to 1st, I did make sure I was going too slow for 2nd, and I did release the clutch slowly. In other words, I do not downshift into 1st to engine break, but to get traction from speeds too slow for 2nd. If I don't downshift to 1st, 2nd gear seems too high, and the bike starts shaking. What do you suggest?

3] You should be in gear at a stop light, and watching your mirror. You do not have enough time time shift, and go. If things go bad behind you

True! And I am always in gear, except those two times I wasn't in the 1st gear, which defeats the purpose of keeping in gear.

CrossRoads
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Hmmm... I wonder: Would it be possible I have a dragging clutch? If yes, would that explain why my cruise control is not working?

dirtdobber
11-05-2010, 05:19 PM

I am not sure about number 2

I do agree you should not down shift from 2nd to 1st at speed
I have been down shifting to 1st at a low speed for many many years with different type of bikes with out a issue with any of them.

The shifting forks will bend that is for sure but a normal shift should not do any harm unless the Victory motorcycles are different than all of the rest. I have several hundred thousands of miles and many many bikes behind my belt with 47 years of riding but I do learn by reading and listening. In other words I have a open mind and willing to learn.

just a thought

dd

kevinx
11-06-2010, 07:23 AM
I am not sure about number 2

I do agree you should not down shift from 2nd to 1st at speed
I have been down shifting to 1st at a low speed for many many years with different type of bikes with out a issue with any of them.

The shifting forks will bend that is for sure but a normal shift should not do any harm unless the Victory motorcycles are different than all of the rest. I have several hundred thousands of miles and many many bikes behind my belt with 47 years of riding but I do learn by reading and listening. In other words I have a open mind and willing to learn.

just a thought

dd

Guess my statement may have been a bit ambiguous. Yes while at a slow roll I do go 1st to 2nd, and back. I meant more as a decell downshift thing

omarf4
11-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Make sure your shift arm and shaft dots are aligned and the nut torqued properly to 10 N.m..... My buddies XC with 100 miles took more "umph" to shift than my 4 year old hammer.....turns out his nut wasn't torqued properly (that just sounds dirty!) and the shift arm had a lot of free play around the shaft....dots weren't aligned.... shaft and arm should be at 90 degree angle...... see pic of dots that I am talking about attached....

cheers

gulliverstoe
11-06-2010, 10:12 AM

yup...this about it...first only at s top or dang near it...and as a bit of a hijack... bit more about this kinda stuff - getting used to the bike...it does seem to me that (compared to my honda) the vic is relly intolerant of lugging...wheres my VTX is more forgiving...in that the honda will just kinda groan but mostly roll on through...but the vic just stops dead...as if the clutch travel is tighter and perhaps the different compression makes it more edgy...i bring this up to relate to rider-bike issues...i have 6k on my XC and seem to still have to get used to the slight cough (rare) at low rpm...like a rolling stop at a light, right on red or stop sign...it is irritating and can be dangerous if in a low speed turn...as in the above or (as recently) at the gas pumps...this is the one thing about the bike that irritates me....the dealer folks who test ride it say it is fine...and so ..is this too the rider? (as in me?)...when it happens it ALWAYS happens when i have rolled in to a rolling stop and get-er moving while my balance holds....kinda like there is a time-lag in the FI or PC... computer...and i cannot figure out the throttle position...i have recently had the pc AFR fattened a tad...is it better? can't really say...i have to add here that i do seem to gun it a tad in this situations too ..as i do ths honda..but at 6k miles i should not still be being caught out like this...to close this hijack...i will personally email a large burger and fries to anyone who can solve this...

dirtdobber
11-06-2010, 10:36 AM
gulliverstoe
In your case I would consider a stage 1 kit. It sounds it is running lean off of idle
Mine does it when cold but clears up after a few min....
Which is normal
Air/oil cooled engines require a certain amount of heat to run properly. Actually all engines do.
My ultra had this and I did a stage 2 and added the PCV/AT it disappeared.

The extra sound/performance is a extra in your case.

dd

Jimbokingpin
03-08-2012, 09:24 PM
This has happened to me and I believe my kingpin is stuck in 4th. What was ever your resolution to your problem? Thanks

I really need your help. I was riding home from work (25mi ride), and a block from home, the bike got stuck in one gear - I think.

I cannot shift to neutral, no matter what I try. Once I start the motor, it runs fine, until I begin to release the clutch. Once I release the clutch, the RPM drops, and the engine stalls.

To get her home, I only slighly released the clutch, giving the wheel enough power to roll home (5-10mph) and gave it a tiny bit of throttle to keep the RPMs high enough to get her moving. To my limited knowledge, I think she's stuck in a higher gear (3rd perhaps). Now she's home. What do I check? Any ideas?

By the way, it was 95F today, and have ridden the whole 25mi in constant acceleration/deceleration as part of my break-in. Did she overheat? Is it normal for her to stay in some strange gear? When I release the clutch, partly, the instrument cluster did display various gears, such as 3, 2, and 1.

Please help with any input you might be able to provide. Thank you![/QUOTE]

CrossRoads
03-08-2012, 09:26 PM
This has happened to me and I believe my kingpin is stuck in 4th. What was ever your resolution to your problem? Thanks

Partially release the clutch between shifts. That will allow you to drop it down all the way to neutral, while stopped.

BBob
03-08-2012, 10:55 PM
I'd let the shop have a look at it. Is there any warranty on it?

sixshooter_45
03-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Guess my statement may have been a bit ambiguous. Yes while at a slow roll I do go 1st to 2nd, and back. I meant more as a decell downshift thing

Thanks for clearing that up as I was a bit confused too.

I used my gears to decell on all my other bikes and never had a problem, I just didn't do it where it caused the engine's rpm to jump due to downshifting to early.

But I take your word for it on these bikes as it sounds as though the clutch design is very different than what I'm use to on my other bikes.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, I thought that's what you'd meant.

irv
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
man, you guys will talk me out of a cross roads yet. zilla
stopped with his 11 yesterday and loves it,now i read thi.
my vtx has been flawless for 32000 miles. now another
minor glitch for victory. maybe im stuck with it forever
with no problems. im looking for that comfy ride and
overdrive and troublefree riding pleasure. i need to quit reading
hundreds of forum pages and ride the darn thing tomorrow.
rons bike sure sounded sweet leaving--irv

zilla
03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Just my 2 cents. When you shift your bike, shift it. If I get a little soft on mine, it'll pop out of 2nd on me once in awhile.

But I did have one instance where I put the bike into neutral, light was on, and when I went to release the clutch it was still in gear. It hasn't happened since. I chalked it up to the neutral switch not being quite right.

I'm coming off a Triumph Tiger 1050 and it had it's own little quirks about shifting. My VFR750, as old as it is, is the sweetet shifting bike i've ever had.

Hell, I think my 76 Super Glide shifts better than the Victory, but that won't stop me from enjoying the bike.

CrossRoads
03-09-2012, 02:59 PM
...my vtx has been flawless for 32000 miles. now another minor glitch for victory...

This is not a glitch. It's a mere case of rider not used to the beast he rides. If you stop your Vic in a higher gear, the clutch has to be partly released between shifts in order to move it down through the gears. You cannot move it through gears with the clutch pulled in.

MTVic
03-09-2012, 03:50 PM
This is not a glitch. It's a mere case of rider not used to the beast he rides. If you stop your Vic in a higher gear, the clutch has to be partly released between shifts in order to move it down through the gears. You cannot move it through gears with the clutch pulled in.

Actually mine will downshift from 6th to neutral while coasting to a light while clutch continuosly pulled in. That said it WON'T go back into 1st gear unless I release the clutch, then pull it in again.

Ussualy I downshift for braking and clutch between shifts, but many times stuck between lights while shifting up and just coast on into next red hoping it will change in time.

CrossRoads
03-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Actually mine will downshift from 6th to neutral while coasting to a light while clutch continuosly pulled in. That said it WON'T go back into 1st gear unless I release the clutch, then pull it in again.

Ussualy I downshift for braking and clutch between shifts, but many times stuck between lights while shifting up and just coast on into next red hoping it will change in time.

Well, it's a matter of getting used to how your bike works, I suppose. Mine needs a partial (about 1 inch) clutch release to lock it to the selected gear, so another shift can be made. Otherwise, if I keep the clutch pulled in all the way, I can pedal the gears all I want, it won't go more than one shift. :crzy: Now I'm so used to it, it's second nature. It does prevent mistakenly jumping up or down a gear.

MTVic
03-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Well, it's a matter of getting used to how your bike works, I suppose. Mine needs a partial (about 1 inch) clutch release to lock it to the selected gear, so another shift can be made. Otherwise, if I keep the clutch pulled in all the way, I can pedal the gears all I want, it won't go more than one shift. :crzy: Now I'm so used to it, it's second nature. It does prevent mistakenly jumping up or down a gear.

+1

100% agree. I had to re-learn downshifting just to stop the new pipes from farting! Got lazy on the old HOG.

gulliverstoe
03-10-2012, 08:54 AM
This is probably a dumb question but are you downshifting to first gear when coming to a stop. I've noticed a bit of trans issue if I, say, come off the freeway and don't steadily downshift while slowing down and coming to a stop. The first time it happened I was a little surprised but not much. My HD does the same thing.

2010 XC here at about 20 K miles - i stopped shifting to 1st when rolling pretty early on - except when completely unavoidable...and then i wince...this regardless of the "rear end" safety considerations.....i have also (mostly) stopped down shifting / engine braking from speed as a general rule - just down shift easily as the speed drops with the clutch pulled to keep me at about 2.5k should i need it...... then i roll up in 2nd - full stop then 1st...the bike seems to like this (ie not too loud)....interesting that this was not so much of a concern on my honda but the vic was/is painful dropping to 1st at anything over a dead crawl...mine also does not like 3rd or 2nd at speed that would seem to put the rpm at 3k or so...(ie 50mph to 3rd or so)

....anyway - while i have missed neutral once or twice...in my view no shifting problems or other as talked about here....i figured i was just learning the bike....