Cross Roads Summer Riding Gear [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Cross Roads Summer Riding Gear

CrossRoads
11-07-2010, 01:49 PM
What summer riding gear do you recommend?

I ask this as I am going to start getting a set of gear to match my ride. I love riding in a t-shirt, but I just don't like the odds of that gamble. So I'm looking to get a leather jacket (the one I own is too old), and I also want a nice brain bucket.

The words of my MSF instructor still echo in my ears about wearing white or bright colors. I'm not to keen to look like a clown out there, but I'd like to stay away from Black as much as possible. I like the way white looks, and you can't argue with its visibility in traffic, however, it's hard to find anything in white. It seems like the motorcycle world has assigned the color white to ladies gear only.

I don't like to ride in rain, so I don't ride when it's raining or when there's a chance for rain. Therefore, I'm not looking for weatherproof gear. I live in Southern California, so my gear should be what is labeled as "summer gear."

My top three concerns when looking for motorcycle gear are:
1.) Protection (for when I'll have to fall);
2.) Visibility (I want to be seen, without looking like a rodeo clown);
3.) Ability to stay cool (temperature wise).

So, my question stands: What do you guys recommend?

dirtdobber
11-07-2010, 05:24 PM
You need to stay away from leather then.

Although leather will give you good protection and there are types with vents it will still be hot.
I would consider mesh jacket and pants.
this will keep ya busy for a few minutes

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/2/102.html

Leatherup is a good company to deal with their sizes are 1 size small in most cases. Easy to swap for the correct size and have good prices.

dd

ladyridr
11-07-2010, 06:41 PM
What summer riding gear do you recommend?

I ask this as I am going to start getting a set of gear to match my ride. I love riding in a t-shirt, but I just don't like the odds of that gamble. So I'm looking to get a leather jacket (the one I own is too old), and I also want a nice brain bucket.

The words of my MSF instructor still echo in my ears about wearing white or bright colors. I'm not to keen to look like a clown out there, but I'd like to stay away from Black as much as possible. I like the way white looks, and you can't argue with its visibility in traffic, however, it's hard to find anything in white. It seems like the motorcycle world has assigned the color white to ladies gear only.

I don't like to ride in rain, so I don't ride when it's raining or when there's a chance for rain. Therefore, I'm not looking for weatherproof gear. I live in Southern California, so my gear should be what is labeled as "summer gear."

My top three concerns when looking for motorcycle gear are:
1.) Protection (for when I'll have to fall);
2.) Visibility (I want to be seen, without looking like a rodeo clown);
3.) Ability to stay cool (temperature wise).

So, my question stands: What do you guys recommend?
I wear mesh jacket and pants. I have ridden in 100 plus degrees this summer. Air is still hot but it moves through the pants. There are several styles out there with CE armor in knees. I also wear mesh jacket with CE armor. My husband has a hi vis tourmaster jacket and I have a Olympia air glide neon yellow ordered.

Happy shopping!

Dixie

Half333Evil
11-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I have a couple of Jackets made by Fieldsheer.

They are made of a weatherproof canvas material, and they are vented. I've had to get the zipper replaced, but I like the jacket because it is not too heavey, has the vents, is not leather, is weatherproof, and one of them has all of the protection that you would need- elbows, seat, shoulders.

Plus they don't break the bank.

Ps. I do have black, though. The guys and girls at the couse will say that you should be bright, but I've found many of them are sport bike riders, or are full of crap and wear black.

CrossRoads
11-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Thank you all for the input. It helps narrow my choices a little.

The guys and girls at the couse will say that you should be bright, but I've found many of them are sport bike riders, or are full of crap and wear black.

:ltr: Too funny. :ltr:

Half333Evil
11-08-2010, 10:00 PM
It is true. I stuck around at the course that I took, my cousins ex was one of the instructers, and watched the people who conducted the course leave.

The biggest "safety first" guy put on his black jacket, his black helmet, and his i-pod headphones before he left.

I saw one of the other guys later that month riding in a t-shirt and shorts. So, I say stick with what is comfortable and make your bike loud.