come to think of it...i do have a complaint of sorts [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: come to think of it...i do have a complaint of sorts

gulliverstoe
12-21-2010, 05:44 PM
howdy

it is in the 70s here and i had a nice 70m roll and cigar out in the desert...getting back on the ride and letting her warm up my eye was drawn to a familiar thing...and for at least the 100th time, i considered fixing it...and then i wondered why...

the item is the wire-dressing on the bars...the colored rounds are exposed for about 1/4 inch or so past the overbraid/sheath...and it always irritates me...i simply do not like the look of exposed wires.....it should at least have heat-shrink on it...but no way after the harness is assembled..i am due for service and will look at the other bikes and bring this up then...what i would want is a boot of sorts and for that will have to look around...i may dress it with a bit of leather or a braid or even paracord, which i have laced on the levers for grip and heat protection (needed here from experience)...now that i think on it a bit i may try an over-large bit of shrink...pull the connector and it over...it would not be tight at the harness end, but at least she would be dressed....but again why ? - i would bet that a 20g BMW does not have exposed wires...or even that other bike...and my 10g honda don't...

are any of yall's bikes like this? .. any suggestions for covering this last 1/4 inch?...surely not electrical tape on a bike that cost the best part of 20gs?

CrossRoads
12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
are any of yall's bikes like this?

I did not notice, but will check and report back.

CrossRoads
12-21-2010, 08:22 PM
the item is the wire-dressing on the bars...the colored rounds are exposed for about 1/4 inch or so past the overbraid/sheath...and it always irritates me...

If you're talking about a green and white wire near the front break switch, then yes, they are visible on my XR too. However, in order to see them, I had to take a worm's eye view, looking upwards, at the front/underneath part of the front break switch.

Btw, you're making huge progress. Last time you were "burning a sitck out in the desert" you started this thread (http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3749) in which you said there were three things you'd change about the bike. In your most recent trip, you decided there's only one thing you don't like. One more trip, and you'll love this bike whole heartedly. cheers

gulliverstoe
12-21-2010, 09:13 PM
If you're talking about a green and white wire near the front break switch, then yes, they are visible on my XR too. However, in order to see them, I had to take a worm's eye view, looking upwards, at the front/underneath part of the front break switch.

Btw, you're making huge progress. Last time you were "burning a sitck out in the desert" you started this thread (http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3749) in which you said there were three things you'd change about the bike. In your most recent trip, you decided there's only one thing you don't like. One more trip, and you'll love this bike whole heartedly. cheers

ha...yeah...pretty minor...and the bike's a blast...every time i hit the key...on my XC, the wires are visible from the topside...both side-radio and cruise modules...i am gonna get my worm-eye going tomorrow (rain...maybe) and see about pulling the connector and if some shrink will work...

merry christmas....

sgtfixit
12-23-2010, 01:54 PM
you could always split a length of shrink wrap the wires a coulpe times then carefully heat gun it till it shrinks to fit. OR paint them with liquid electrical tape. OR use a short piece of split loom to dress it up. Just a thought.

CrossRoads
12-23-2010, 02:00 PM
you could always split a length of shrink wrap the wires a coulpe times then carefully heat gun it till it shrinks to fit. OR paint them with liquid electrical tape. OR use a short piece of split loom to dress it up. Just a thought.

:I agree:Those are all good ideas. thumb up

visionjohnny
12-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Radio shack sells shrink tub or you could go to the hardware store and gets some black silicon and put some on in a nice manner.

gulliverstoe
12-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Radio shack sells shrink tub or you could go to the hardware store and gets some black silicon and put some on in a nice manner.

howdy and merry christmas

thanks for the ideas...i looked again and really it is just the radio side that bugs me...as for shrink...the connector is way to big for anything that be effective and as for something smaller..in my experience you cannot "cut it"...the siicone potting is a good idear but too permanent (something will happen...don't know when but it will)...and so...it will be either a bit of lace or b-tape..done nicely of course...all in all...it ain't a bad deal to have such trivial problems...
ho ho ho.

blueonion
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Quick and dirty fix: a single wire tie and hide the lock. That'll hold you til a permanent fix is done.