Air Box Seal removal [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Air Box Seal removal

gregbenner
01-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I have read on a couple threads that removing the rubber seal around the front of the air box on a X bike is good for more air input. However, I couldn't seem to find much detail when I did a search.

How is this removed? Do you need to remove the gas tank, or just raise it? Any disadvantages?

Thx

greg

diamondrmp
01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
You have to remove the tank.

gregbenner
01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Diamond, thx for your reply. I just realized that i omitted an important part from my original post.

When I talked with Lloydz, the lady who answers the phone...(Brie I think) said all I had to do was reach under the tank and pull the seal out!

The service manage at my dealer said to remove tank. :confused:

I will try to reach Lloyd himself tomorrow, but was curious if anyone had tried to just "pull it out"?

JohnC
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
These bikes already have a lot of hp / torque. Is removing the seal gonna make that much "seat of the pants" difference, if any? What are the drawbacks of the removing the seal? Shorter filter life maybe?

BBob
01-06-2011, 11:08 PM
These bikes already have a lot of hp / torque. Is removing the seal gonna make that much "seat of the pants" difference, if any? What are the drawbacks of the removing the seal? Shorter filter life maybe?

No drawback per se but I'm not gonna do it until I can get a K&N air filter for it. There's a slim possibility that the filter could get wet in rain so the stock paper filter won't cut it. K&N doesn't make a filter for the X bikes yet but an 06-07 Vegas filter will fit with a few minor modifications.

The Victory high flow performance filter is reported to look cheap.

Anyone have a used K&N from an early Jackpot for sale?

kevinx
01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
No drawback per se but I'm not gonna do it until I can get a K&N air filter for it. There's a slim possibility that the filter could get wet in rain so the stock paper filter won't cut it. K&N doesn't make a filter for the X bikes yet but an 06-07 Vegas filter will fit with a few minor modifications.

The Victory high flow performance filter is reported to look cheap.

Anyone have a used K&N from an early Jackpot for sale?

First off.....While K&N does not make a filter. Vic does sell an oil type cleanable cloth filter

Secondly the chance of water intrusion causing a problem is right around the same % as being hit by a falling piano. The strip is there for NOISE ONLY

That said
The strip can be removed with the tank in place
On average a bone stock X bike will pick up 2HP/5FtLb on my dyno, and yes you can feel it

gregbenner
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
EDIT see post #12

.The strip can be removed with the tank in place

Kevin, is there a specific technique? Do I need to lift the tank some?

Thx

greg

gregbenner
01-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Secondly the chance of water intrusion causing a problem is right around the same % as being hit by a falling piano.

Do the odds change if you live in Arizona with 10" annual rainfall:ltr:

Sorry BBOB, had to say it:D

BBob
01-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Do the odds change if you live in Arizona with 10" annual rainfall:ltr:

Sorry BBOB, had to say it:D

Around here it's closer to 5" of annual rainfall. I was just figuring "my luck" factor into it. :D

Good catch Greg!

gregbenner
01-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Around here it's closer to 5" of annual rainfall. I was just figuring "my luck" factor into it. :D

Good catch Greg!

BBos, where in Arizona do you live?

I grew up in Phoenix, my mother and sister still live outside Prescott. Marc and I ride over a few times a year.

Maybe we could hook up some time.

BBob
01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Sounds good. I'm in Lake Havasu City; just across the lake from Cali. I'm spent 5 years up in the Prescott area and while it's a good place to visit; I'd prefer not to live there again.

Bob

gregbenner
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Kevin, is there a specific technique? Do I need to lift the tank some?
greg

Called Brie at Lloysz. All you need to do is reach in and pull it out. Very easy. I actually loosened the tank so I could see better, but it was unnecessary.

Thx Kevin for the heads up.

Now gonna take her for a spin:)

twsdtcain
01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Per Kevin's information, I pulled the strip this past summer. Pulling back the tank is easy, just two bolts for the seat and two for the tank. Maybe 10 minutes of work.

I got caught in a major down pour that followed me for several hours. The bike ran great and had no problems. Like Kevin said, the strip isnt for weather, its for noise.

CrossRoads
01-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Per Kevin's information, I pulled the strip this past summer. Pulling back the tank is easy, just two bolts for the seat and two for the tank. Maybe 10 minutes of work.

I got caught in a major down pour that followed me for several hours. The bike ran great and had no problems. Like Kevin said, the strip isnt for weather, its for noise.

Sweet! Added to my "to do" list of projects.

bigseadaddy
01-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Few questions for those in the know!

When you say they put the seal on for noise, what do you mean by this?

Will the filter shake or is there a whistle or whine if you pull the seal?

Do you need to re-flash for this?

The last question, does anyone know if the these new 106 run lean?

My dealer modified my stock muffler but did not change the fuel managment? I am just wondering if a re-flash and high flow filter or removing this seal would free up the bike. That said, I am also not wanting to kill my MPG - I ride daily unless the roads are not clear.

Thanks

BSD

diamondrmp
01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Not sure on the other questions but here is a pic of the frame and air seal.

gregbenner
01-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Few questions for those in the know!

When you say they put the seal on for noise, what do you mean by this?

Will the filter shake or is there a whistle or whine if you pull the seal?

Do you need to re-flash for this?

The last question, does anyone know if the these new 106 run lean?

My dealer modified my stock muffler but did not change the fuel managment? I am just wondering if a re-flash and high flow filter or removing this seal would free up the bike. That said, I am also not wanting to kill my MPG - I ride daily unless the roads are not clear.

Thanks

BSD

If you have ever taken the aircleaner out of a older car (with carburators) you know what the intake sound is like under full throttle. I do notice a little more intake noise, (I have the Victory HP aircleaner) but not offensive at all. I wouldn't call this a whistle or whine. Note that of you didn't like it, it would be easy to put back in.

I also have dealer modded mufflers, but I added a PCV with auto tune. I assumed the stock engine was on the lean side, but have not verified that.

bigseadaddy
01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
If you have ever taken the aircleaner out of a older car (with carburators) you know what the intake sound is like under full throttle. I do notice a little more intake noise, (I have the Victory HP aircleaner) but not offensive at all. I wouldn't call this a whistle or whine. Note that of you didn't like it, it would be easy to put back in.

I also have dealer modded mufflers, but I added a PCV with auto tune. I assumed the stock engine was on the lean side, but have not verified that.

Ya I have and that explains it pretty well. I am also going to have to look in the PCV.... man I told my wife that I wold not drop a bunch of cash into this bike like I did the Deluxe but you guys are killing me... (or I just have an issue with leaving stuff alone!)

BBob
01-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Ya I have and that explains it pretty well. I am also going to have to look in the PCV.... man I told my wife that I wold not drop a bunch of cash into this bike like I did the Deluxe but you guys are killing me... (or I just have an issue with leaving stuff alone!)

Nothing wrong with improving on an already good machine. Many of us luv doing that. But most of us have to do it a little at a time because our budget mandates it. For those few who have better budgets and can do it quicker; more power to 'em.

bigseadaddy
01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Nothing wrong with improving on an already good machine. Many of us luv doing that. But most of us have to do it a little at a time because our budget mandates it. For those few who have better budgets and can do it quicker; more power to 'em.

Man not me. You will never hear my say a bad thing about my wife, love her to death! But she is a good Jewish women and she keeps me in line with money! I always tell her that they were not kidding when they say a Jew can rub two pennies together and get a dollar. Her Mom (God rest her) was the same way!! I am the shopper in the family, go figure!!! I would go coocoo but she has us on a budget and retirement plan that I can not argue with!!! cheers

I agree about more power though. Always could find a cosmetic reason to make changes to the HD, but for some reason I look at the CR and there is not much I wanna change. Just the thought of getting more power for so little though when it would cost a small fortune in the HD to upgrade always kept me from it.

Gonzo18
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
So, I looked under the tank and tried to remove the rubber piece. It appears to be a plastic piece that the rubber also sits on. Is this piece supposed to be removed as well? I tried pulling on the top rubber part, but it kept breaking apart. :mad: Might have to remove the tank....thanks for any help you can offer!

gregbenner
01-24-2011, 03:31 PM
So, I looked under the tank and tried to remove the rubber piece. It appears to be a plastic piece that the rubber also sits on. Is this piece supposed to be removed as well? I tried pulling on the top rubber part, but it kept breaking apart. :mad: Might have to remove the tank....thanks for any help you can offer!

Look at the picture in post 16. Only the flexible rubbery peice is removed, it is merely sitting on the hard plastic base, The plastic peice is bolted down, and does not need to be removed.

BBob
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Like Greg said; the hard plastic piece stays.

Removing the tank is no big deal. Remove seat (2 bolts), remove 2 bolts at back of tank, pull it back a little and lift up the front enough to remove the rubber piece. If you want to go ahead and remove the tank you just disconnect the wiring at the connector (right side) and reach up under the bottom back of the tank and squeeze the buttons on the fuel line connector to remove it. Pull the tank off. I'd do this with as little gas in the tank as possible just to make it easier.

Edit: I forgot to mention the ground strap on the gas tank and the two over flow tubes. They also need to be disconnected before removing tank.

lhmathys
01-24-2011, 09:25 PM

I've tried to get a grip on the seal and it won't budge. I don't see how to get that thing out of there without loosening the tank. thumb up

BBob
01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Well, don't be askeer'd of it guys, it's only a little metal tank.

You can see how I took a used K&N air filter, cut it down to fit, and added a little tape for show on this little project. I got it for half of what Vic wants with their proprietary filter. So this will do just fine. Should be good for a couple hp and tq if what I hear is correct.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z133/netbob928_photos/2011%20Victory%20Cross%20Country/2011-01-24--15-37-38.jpg

A better pic with the tank off and doing other project.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z133/netbob928_photos/2011%20Victory%20Cross%20Country/2011-01-24--15-38-08.jpg

Gonzo18
01-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys, will move the tank tomorrow and let you know how it goes! Thanks for the quick responses!thumb up

Roadrocket
01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
What's needed now is a plastic/rubber air scoop to put in it's place to give a small 'ram-air' effect.

BBob
01-26-2011, 12:51 AM
What's needed now is a plastic/rubber air scoop to put in it's place to give a small 'ram-air' effect.

Sounds like a good idea. When you make one; let us know how you did it so we can copy it. :)

Gonzo18
01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
So, I pulled the strip easily after moving the tank a little....Thanks for the input. But, now I have another problem. While testing out the bike with the strip removed, I blipped the throttle. Well, while doing this, it shut the bike off. I started right back up on the roll, but what is happening?

I have the Arlen Ness Big Honker slip on exhaust, and the Big Shot Fuel controller. Any ideas for settings or whats happening? Thanks in advance....:crzy:

BBob
01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah. These bikes don't like to be "blipped". It makes the ECU/ECM think the rpm's have run amok so it shuts the bike down. I've had it happen to me a few times and asked about it on another forum. KevinX suggested I disconnect the O2 sensors (the connector's are about 6" back from the sensor), which I did and now it doesn't do it nearly as often. I'm having to retrain myself because I learned to ride when it was the right thing to do to match up the rpm's with the trans when downshifting.

Anyway; I'm not running a fuel controller. Mine is completely stock right now; except for the rubber strip being removed and I just got the bike back together today but didn't ride it yet. Did a whole bunch of stuff to it like new speakers, garage door opener button on the dash, new +2 bars, ipod wiring under the tank and seat, couple more gauges, K&N air filter, redid the lowers in the crash bars I made up, and I think that's it. :)

So try not to blip the engine if you can help it. You might try disconnecting the O2 sensors, or you might get a different calibration for your fuel controller to give you a bit more fuel near idle. That's about all the ideas I have right now.

Let us know how things work out ...

CrossRoads
01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Encouraged by those who kindly posted pics, I've built enough courage to schedule the seal removal for the coming weekend. If I don't do any other mods, is this mod still beneficial? Please don't bash, I'm on a budget and for the time being, I'm quite content with both power and sound.

lhmathys
01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I pulled the strip a couple of days ago and haven't had a problem with stalling thus far. I haven't noticed a jump in HP, but then again I haven't hit the engine hard either.

Do you remember about how high your RPMs were at the peak of the "blip"? The reason I ask is that mine used to stall when I geared down; where the RPMs would go from say 2100 quickly down to idle when I pulled the clutch. Luckily this hasn't happened since I had the dealer reflash my ECM.

CrossRoads
01-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Luckily this hasn't happened since I had the dealer reflash my ECM.

Happy to hear your worries are laid to rest. Time to enjoy the beast! :)

lhmathys
01-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Encouraged by those who kindly posted pics, I've built enough courage to schedule the seal removal for the coming weekend. If I don't do any other mods, is this mod still beneficial? Please don't bash, I'm on a budget and for the time being, I'm quite content with both power and sound.

Let us know if you remove the seal and if you notice a difference. I'm interested to hear if anyone can actually feel the extra HP.

CrossRoads
01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Let us know if you remove the seal and if you notice a difference. I'm interested to hear if anyone can actually feel the extra HP.

Will do. Kevinx said you can feel the difference (see quote below).

On average a bone stock X bike will pick up 2HP/5FtLb on my dyno, and yes you can feel it

I think you have to have a G-Force gauge built into the seat of your pants to feel the difference. However, that's just my humble opinion, while some of these guys know a lot more than I ever will about bikes and what makes 'em tick.

I don't think my butt will feel a difference, but maybe others are more sensitive in that area than I am. :ltr:

BBob
01-28-2011, 12:25 AM
I took my maiden voyage today after doing that and a lot more other things. At first I didn't really notice anything but I was getting use to the new bars and not honkin' on the throttle much. After 50 or so miles I was use to the new bars and decided to see if I could feel a difference on the same roads I've been on before the pulling of the little freakin' gasket and the high flow filter.

Yep. A noticeable difference. It wasn't huge but any difference you can actually feel is significant. I also switched over to a high flow filter at the same time so that would make more of a difference.

I'm still not altogether clear on how the Victory ECM/ECU works compared to the HD one. The HD ECM is fairly adaptive so it can take 40-100 miles for it to adjust to a change like that and then; only up to a point unless there's some software downloaded to it to allow for more changes. To my knowledge; the Victory ECM is proprietary along with a bunch of other stuff on the bike. If you are familiar with Apple computers you know you can only use Apple hardware in them unlike a standard PC. Victory hardware seems to be the same way.

That's why, I personally, never embraced any Apple products to this day but I digress.

By the way; the wiring harness is made in China. I only know this because it was labeled that way.

CrossRoads
01-28-2011, 10:48 AM
By the way; the wiring harness is made in China. I only know this because it was labeled that way.

The label might say "made in China" but it was printed in the USA. :ltr: Just kidding.

BBob: You've gone with a custom made filter, from what I saw in your previous post, is that correct? I am still in disbelief that nobody makes a filter (especially the mighty K&N) for our bikes yet.

BBob
01-28-2011, 12:18 PM
The label might say "made in China" but it was printed in the USA. :ltr: Just kidding.

BBob: You've gone with a custom made filter, from what I saw in your previous post, is that correct? I am still in disbelief that nobody makes a filter (especially the mighty K&N) for our bikes yet.

Hehehehehe ... You might be right about the label. I hope so. :)

If enough people email them and request they make one for the X-Bikes; they will. tech@knfilters.com

CrossRoads
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
If enough people email them and request they make one for the X-Bikes; they will. tech@knfilters.com

E-mailed! Thanks. thumb up

Then I poked around K&N's website a little, and found a form they have where you can request a filter for your vehicle (if they don't already make one). I've started a separate thread from where we can petition a filter for our bikes. Here it is: Sign Petition to get K&N to build us Air Filters! (http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=20539#post20539)

CrossRoads
02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
I have removed the air box seal, and have taken some pictures to document the work. It's extremely simple, and most of you won't need pictures, but for those who need the extra help, I have posted a quick step by step guide on "Removing Air Box Seal for Dummies. (http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=21029#post21029)"

bigseadaddy
02-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Who all is running this mod with modified exhaust, stock filter and stock fuel map???

When I was at the dealership working my fuel tank issue I pulled the seal off when they had my tank off.

I do not have a PCV or remap will the ECM learn to this degree?

CrossRoads
02-06-2011, 01:41 AM
So, I posted earlier in this thread that I did not think you could feel the difference once the seal is removed. I stand corrected. You can feel the difference. Quicker throttle response, and more pull.

Sound wise, it's as if you have a small hand vacuum cleaner. :ltr: This is obvious when you're around 1000 RPM, and blends into the engine noise once you start rolling. I've tested it with a half helmet on, and no ear plugs or flaps. Will test it on Monday with a 3/4 helmet and post if it's audible.

Who all is running this mod with modified exhaust, stock filter and stock fuel map???
I do not have a PCV or remap will the ECM learn to this degree?

I'm fairly sure for intake mod you do not need any remapping. I believe remapping is required when you change the back pressure, so the modified exhaust could be a different story. I hope someone with more knowledge confirms this, as I hate to be guessing along on what the right answer is. :o

gumper800
03-03-2011, 08:27 PM
BBob, do you know the part number on the k&n you modded?

BBob
03-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I believe it was the PL-1500 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=PL-1500). I put the stock XC on on top of it and trimmed the Vegas filter to fit.

gumper800
03-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Oh it's just the vegas stage one filter?? SWEET, I think I still have mine! Thanks BBob!

40XC
03-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Sound wise, it's as if you have a small hand vacuum cleaner. :ltr: This is obvious when you're around 1000 RPM, and blends into the engine noise once you start rolling. I've tested it with a half helmet on, and no ear plugs or flaps. Will test it on Monday with a 3/4 helmet and post if it's audible.

:o

I did this mod to mine and I didn't like the vacuum noise. Unfortunatally when I did the mod I thought it would be a good idea to trim the lip that the rubber strip pushes onto to with a sharp utility knife to give the plastic trim piece a nice rounded edge for the air to flow over but then didn't like the noise when I was done. I wanted to keep the mod as best I could so I thought that just covering the front part of the plastic trim would keep the vacuum noise from reflecting from the back side of the fairing (seemed the noise was coming from that). I thought about 3.5" to 4" would be enough but without the lip there I couldn't trim the rubber strip to that length and put it back on so I had some 1/2" foam weatherstrip with the sticky on one side around and cut a piece of that about 4" and stuck it to the top of the plastic trim so it could squish against the bottom of the tank when installed. This took care of most of the noise (reflecting) but I still get the benefit of the air being able to come over the sides of the plastic trim easily. I've got no dyno to prove anything but logic says it should still be a good benefit.:o

CrossRoads
03-05-2011, 10:16 AM
This reminds me, I never reported back on the sound with 3/4th helmet on. With 1/2 helmet, I can hear it loud and clear. With my 3/4th helmet I can barely hear it.

I guess it's something you gotta try and see what you like better. Some will prefer with the seal and others without. ;)

Kevster
05-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Pulled the air box seal and unplugged the 02 sensors. (50 miles, 2 days on it and I have already started modding it :)

I can really feel the difference...1 1/8 hole saw time this weekend. :crzy:

sgtfixit
05-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Just a quick note...while I'm no means a noob, I'm not a full fledged mechanic either...

I pulled the tank, carefully, pulled the strip, cut off a couple inches of it to re-install to stop the reverb off the fairing, re-installed the shorter srtip, then re-stalled the tank. fired up the bike in the garage for a "test". everything appeared to be fine.

took off for a ride the next day, only to get a mile from the house. I smelled the fuel before the bike quit. pulled over and noted the fuel running down the back of the engine. Apparrently, I did not snap the fuel line back properly. Thank you victory for the tool kit in the saddlebag. 10 minutes and just a little cussing, I got the seat off, and the tank levered up, and pushed the fuel fitting back into place until I heard it "snap".

No problems for the rest of the day other than everyone asking if I spilled gas on myself during a fill-up.

I do notice a diferrence in top end power. a nice little extra oomph.
Happy Riding!

BBob
05-25-2011, 02:37 AM
Pulled the air box seal and unplugged the 02 sensors. (50 miles, 2 days on it and I have already started modding it :)

I can really feel the difference...1 1/8 hole saw time this weekend. :crzy:

It'll be a difference you should feel. I sure did. Plus when it sounds more like a motorcycle it's just all around more fun to ride IMHO. :D Changing your air filter will complete performance upgrade.

If you find the exhaust note a little high (some do some don't); just trim 2" off the end of the exhaust pipe in the muffler tip. You will have done the poor man's Stage 1 kit without having to retune the ECM. I also drilled a hole in the same pipe and put a 1/4" bolt through it to increase back pressure but still allowing it to breathe. It also keeps your low end grunt where it should be. Although some say it doesn't hurt to get the Stage 1 flash if you so desire. I'm going to save up for the PC-V ($279 at FuelMoto.com (http://fuelmotousa.com/home.htm)).

Kevster
05-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Rode into work today (25 miles-on the interstate, one way) and felt a big difference when taking off in traffic. much more umph on the low end.

Victory is mine
05-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Took the air seal off and unpluged the O2 sensors on my 2010 CC ,have stage 1 set setup from dealer ,man did the bike wake up,it pulls like heck ,very happy:)

CrossRoads
05-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Took the air seal off and unpluged the O2 sensors on my 2010 CC ,have stage 1 set setup from dealer ,man did the bike wake up,it pulls like heck ,very happy:)

Rode into work today (25 miles-on the interstate, one way) and felt a big difference when taking off in traffic. much more umph on the low end.

Yes, this is the cheapest and easiest upgrade you can dream of. It doesn't get any better than this.

Kevster
05-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Just finished drilling a 1-1/8 hole in my exhaust...bike sounds much better... Headed out for a quick demo ride. :)

Donzo
05-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I took off the strip yesterday and took a 95 mile ride today - can hear the intake noise, but like the sound except at idle - but, I can live with the idle "white" noise coming from under the tank, because. I feel a slighty more responsive take off at lower speeds - I would think this would help with fuel mileage as well--- Less "sucking" to get air into the 106....

CrossRoads
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I took off the strip yesterday and took a 95 mile ride today - can hear the intake noise, but like the sound except at idle - but, I can live with the idle "white" noise coming from under the tank, because. I feel a slighty more responsive take off at lower speeds - I would think this would help with fuel mileage as well--- Less "sucking" to get air into the 106....

Give it a few thousand miles, and you won't hear the noise at idle anymore. It's funny, I try to listen for it, and I cannot hear it.

vindex1963
12-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm guessing this mod doesn't apply to any other models.

Bob C350
12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm guessing this mod doesn't apply to any other models.

Nope, It's a Cross bike thing.

vindex1963
12-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Nope, It's a Cross bike thing.

Thank you.

MTVic
12-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Give it a few thousand miles, and you won't hear the noise at idle anymore. It's funny, I try to listen for it, and I cannot hear it.

Is it because you are use to it or is the filter getting dirtier faster and now blocking some flow? You didn't change to the high flow right?

CrossRoads
12-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Is it because you are use to it or is the filter getting dirtier faster and now blocking some flow? You didn't change to the high flow right?

I do have D&D's now, which are probably responsible for covering the air sucking noise out. If I listen for it, at idle, I can hear it. I have the stock paper filter. ;)