2012 Victory High-Ball Preview [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: 2012 Victory High-Ball Preview

administrator
01-24-2011, 11:07 AM
http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/272966-1/2011-Victory-Highball_outside-4.jpg

Just when we think certain trends in motorcycling may have peaked, leave it to a major motorcycle manufacturer to keep the trend alive or at least catch on to the cresting wave.

Victory Motorcycles today unveiled an all-new model called the High-Ball.

The High-Ball's minimalist, tough guy appearance results from its tip-to-tail matte finish black-out treatment, chopped fenders, ape hanger style handlebar, solo saddle and 16-inch spoke wheels carrying plump whitewall tires.

It's a look that unabashedly draws inspiration from the lowbrow bobber scene, where riders and bike fabricators in that two-wheeled subculture eschew brand loyalty, and instead fashion motorcycles into no-nonsense machines that seem to make some kind of anti-moto-establishment statement.

More: 2012 Victory High-Ball Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/victory/2011-victory-highball-preview-90355.html) on Motorcycle.com

BBob
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
It's a nice base bike to work with but keeping those whitewalls clean will be a part time job for the owner. :D It will no doubt bring out the bad boy in any of us. Maybe even the bad girl! I can easily see a lady on one of these.

Maybe one day I can get one to bomb around on. Come onnnnnn windfall!

gary mcclanahan
01-24-2011, 06:14 PM
You know in some parts of the country the handle bars cant be higher than your sholders or you get a ticket, I know this is true at Surgis. You better be 6 ft. tall if you want to ride this.

FutureVic
01-24-2011, 07:41 PM
I think the overall looks of this bobber is cool with its matt black / white color scheme and fatty whitewall tires. Im not a fan of the ape hangers. When Im riding I want full control of my bike in any situation and with apes I can see where you surrender alot that control over your bike. But I guess if your not throwing the bike into corners at high-speed and dont need the leverage of low bars I can maybe see the appeal of this bike, especially if your just farting around town.

DRamrod
01-28-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm actually a really big fan of this, but your absolutely right, the white walls will be a pain in the butt to clean. But seriously, the only thing that is holding me back right now completely from digging my wallet into this is that the bike is only a single seater.
This would be my first brand new bike purchase btw, so I want to get it right. And for 13,500, its very delightful.

Off Topic:
If theres anyone else who has recommendations on this style of bike/look with simplicity/bobber/chopper look (anything but crossbones) for around 15k let me know. I'm looking into this or a Yamaha Raider [don't flame on it]. I like the wide glide, but its a little... Narrow for me. I'm 6'3 200lbs on a bike, and need something that feels and looks right. If you want, you can PM me to keep this topic flowing. Thanks

-Devin

ParkerB57
02-11-2011, 02:28 AM
I love the bike, i already but a diposite down on one.

BBob
02-11-2011, 02:59 AM
I saw one on the road today riding with a couple of HD's. They are all test bikes. I thought about getting a job test riding the new bikes but riding is supposed to be fun; not a job.

They put white tape over the insignia's like that's supposed to stop us from telling what kind of bike it is. ;)

Anyway; the HB looked good going down the road the rider looked badass which is all part of what the HB is all about isn't it? Attitude, attitude, attitude.

Sure wish I could get a nice windfall so I could get a HB to bomb around on locally.

dsds.wewe
02-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Recover from the Bush administration and act like we did when Reagan was in office.

felix_434
02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know on if you could use a passenger back rest from a Vegas and a Butty Buddy set up?

diamondrmp
02-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Does anyone know on if you could use a passenger back rest from a Vegas and a Butty Buddy set up?

I would assume so being that its a Vegas with a few different things on it.

BBob
02-19-2011, 12:37 AM
I can't imagine why not. Have you contacted Butt Buddy folks?

felix_434
02-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Yes I've tried to but have not received a reply. I read on there site that the buddy doesn't work with flat paint. I was just curious on if it would work with the matte black on the highball.

felix_434
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
This is what I heard back:
Some use it on the black matte, however we do not recommend it - it is a user disgression thing...

Now one thing I don't even want to think about is that damn suction coming undone. Is there a way to make this work??
Thanks

DRamrod
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
I would assume so being that its a Vegas with a few different things on it.

With that being established, what all is really required to make this possible? Like new brackets and whole new seat? Or even snatching the vegas seat set up?

felix_434
02-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes what ive researched is you can retrofit the Vegas parts on the Highball.

ammo_umb
02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't 3M paint protection film work? It would modify the mounting surface and in theory change the way the suction cups would adhere to it.

felix_434
02-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Seems like that would work, but i'm not a professional. How do you apply that film? Is it heat applied, or a sticker?

felix_434
02-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Got this in reply from the Buddy guys.

If the paint protection application glosses the area it will make a difference - the BB seat has a satisfaction guarantee return policy if you want to try it out. Thanks, Bob

CrossRoads
02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Got this in reply from the Buddy guys.

If the paint protection application glosses the area it will make a difference - the BB seat has a satisfaction guarantee return policy if you want to try it out. Thanks, Bob

Cool. Put a heavy passenger in the back, get 'em above 50mph and slam the brakes. If the passenger goes flying, return! :ltr:

diamondrmp
02-28-2011, 10:48 AM
With that being established, what all is really required to make this possible? Like new brackets and whole new seat? Or even snatching the vegas seat set up?

All you need to do is buy a Vegas/Kingpin passenger seat or the more padded tour seat.

Its a simple 8 bolt operation should take no more than 5 minutes!

Here are the directions from the service manual.

endlink
03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I was dead set on a vegas 8 ball until I saw this... decisions... I guess I'll have to wait till spring to test ride them both.

felix_434
03-06-2011, 10:50 PM
The Vegas is a great bike and I will probably get one if the High-Ball back fires. But that fat front tire, and bad a$$ attitude hit home for me!

endlink
03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
well I contacted my local dealer and 2/3 high-balls that were ordered have already been spoken for. so more than likely that 3rd one will be sold before it even makes it to the dealer for me to test drive it...

CrossRoads
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
well I contacted my local dealer and 2/3 high-balls that were ordered have already been spoken for. so more than likely that 3rd one will be sold before it even makes it to the dealer for me to test drive it...

That's what the Fuel It demo tour is for. I've ridden the High Ball last month, even though I've had no intention on buying one. Check out the FUEL IT schedule (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/Demo-Rides/Pages/EventSchedule.aspx), and take that opportunity to ride it. ;)

CCvictory
03-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Rode this bike at the demo rides at Daytona...I rode the one with the upgraded loud Victory pipes. This thing was a blast to drive...handled way better than I thought and with the reduced weight, it really ran hard. I wouldn't ride it across the state...but I'd sure ride it across town. Great fun and you got off it with a schitt eating grin!
And they took and posted pictures of your ride...
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/2011/Pages/daytona-bike-week-photos.aspx

thumb up

CrossRoads
03-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Rode this bike at the demo rides at Daytona...I rode the one with the upgraded loud Victory pipes. This thing was a blast to drive...handled way better than I thought and with the reduced weight, it really ran hard. I wouldn't ride it across the state...but I'd sure ride it across town. Great fun and you got off it with a schitt eating grin!
And they took and posted pictures of your ride...
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/2011/Pages/daytona-bike-week-photos.aspx

thumb up

I rode the same one, in California. Either that, either more than one High Ball is equipped with the victory performance shot gun pipes.

felix_434
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
What great pics! This is definitely getting me fired up for this years riding season! Too bad the Fuel it tour isn't in my neck of the woods.

endlink
03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
That's what the Fuel It demo tour is for. I've ridden the High Ball last month, even though I've had no intention on buying one. Check out the FUEL IT schedule (http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/Demo-Rides/Pages/EventSchedule.aspx), and take that opportunity to ride it. ;)

unfortunately they don't stop in IL.

Maui
04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Well I picked up my highball last Thurday and had a great day of riding on Saturday. We went on a lot of sweeping and tight curves up thru the foothills. The bike handled great. I was a bit worried about the handlebars but aftert 80 miles I had no fatigue in my arms and the bike cornered great.
When I picked the bike up I had them bring the handlebars back just slightly. They are almost in line with the forks.
I had a post about the bike on another thread but I will post a picture here as well.
I could not be happier with it. It really gets a lot af attention.
This is a real happy old Italian guy from Arvada Colorado!

SmattaHead
04-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Contrats Maui!!!
Both you and your new HB look GREAT!
From another happy old Italian guy from Mass.thumb up

VIC11CC
04-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I saw one for the first time on Sat. at a dealership in CT.(while I was picking up my new 11' CC). The new owner was there to pick it up. I was surprised that it looks much better in person than any pictures I've seen on the internet. Dealer said it was sold before it came in. This should be a big seller for victory with killer looks and a good price. thumb up

Bucky5454
05-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Bought mine on 6 May, I have it in the shop getting pipes and it's first service!

TCMB
05-24-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm either going to have to stop lurking around this forum after almost one whole day of belonging...

-OR-

Go buy a Highball!

Thanks for all of your posts!

TCMB thumb up

Bucky5454
05-25-2011, 05:27 AM
I was going to try to put a superfly or mini standard windsheild on my Highball. They had one down at the dealer and just holding it up where it mounts, it looks good. It does not wreck the look of the bike at all but the clamps were too big.
If anyone hears of a windshield that would go on a highball, I would be interested in getting one. These Colorado winds are giving me a beating. Jeez I'm getting to be a poos in my old age...............

Did you ever put a windshield on? If so post some pics! I am going to be riding a 10hr trip and think it would be nice not to have my head bobbing the whole time I am on interstates! I would love to just ride back roads but don't have the time!

jaysonL
05-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Thought you guys might like this pic . Check the guy's shirt....

BBob
05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
I've still got a bunch of shirts with that logo. I don't wear them much anymore. This guys is obviously on a Victory test ride so he gets a pass. :)

jaysonL
05-26-2011, 05:30 PM
I've still got a bunch of shirts with that logo. I don't wear them much anymore. This guys is obviously on a Victory test ride so he gets a pass. :)

Yeah,but I thought it was still a little comical .

Carl T
05-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I love the look of this bike and would love a set of these bars to go on my V92... They won't be available until after Aug. 1st so i'm thinking of going with a set of Road six custom bars, but would like to know what the height of these bars are. Does anyone know the rise and pull back?
Thanks...

Bucky5454
05-28-2011, 07:46 PM
I love the look of this bike and would love a set of these bars to go on my V92... They won't be available until after Aug. 1st so i'm thinking of going with a set of Road six custom bars, but would like to know what the height of these bars are. Does anyone know the rise and pull back?
Thanks...

It is about 15 inches at the max setting. But can be adjusted down if it is too high and still gives the apehanger look.

Carl T
05-28-2011, 07:56 PM
I thought it looked about 14" to 15", Thanks for the Info Bucky...

BBob
05-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks...

On the early Vic's the spread between the risers was 3.5" (just like HD).

On the newer one's they are 5".

What's the spread on your bike's risers (center to center)?

Carl T
05-29-2011, 11:33 PM
BBob, My risers are on 3.5" centers. I wanted to go with Black 14" apes narrow at the bottom with the 3.5 knurled centers from Road Six Customs. I would much rather go with the HB bars but they won't be available until after Aug. and are very expensive. I think the R 6 Customs will do the trick. What do you think....?
Thanks<
Carl-

BBob
05-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Got a link to those bars Carl?

Carl T
05-30-2011, 05:52 PM
http://www.road6customs.com/online-shop.html#ec
wid:category=337171&mode=product&product=1136440
Bob here is a link to the bars im thinking of getting.

Highballer1961
11-24-2011, 09:00 AM
It's a nice base bike to work with but keeping those whitewalls clean will be a part time job for the owner. :D It will no doubt bring out the bad boy in any of us. Maybe even the bad girl! I can easily see a lady on one of these.

Maybe one day I can get one to bomb around on. Come onnnnnn windfall!

Dude its called Simple Green! its just that simple! Not even a part time job to clean!

jchighball12
04-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I throw my Highball into the corners more so than I did with my Kingpin. It is a superbly handling bike! One of the best handling bikes I've ever ridden!

jchighball12
04-29-2012, 08:40 PM
I think the overall looks of this bobber is cool with its matt black / white color scheme and fatty whitewall tires. Im not a fan of the ape hangers. When Im riding I want full control of my bike in any situation and with apes I can see where you surrender alot that control over your bike. But I guess if your not throwing the bike into corners at high-speed and dont need the leverage of low bars I can maybe see the appeal of this bike, especially if your just farting around town.

I don't surrender any control while riding aggressively. In fact it handles extremely well! Not trying to be cocky, but ride one, you will see what I'm talking about! I traded my Kingpin in on the High Ball, and I think it rides and handles better! The only thing is without a windshield (I wouldn't put one on the High Ball, it would ruin the appearance imho) and your arms up, you do catch some wind. But, no big deal for me, I love the bike!

FutureVic
04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Im glad your happy with your High Ball, as you should be. As a long time dirt racer I was practically weened on bikes with stock racing bars which were low for optimal control. I just cant see riding with your hands over your head and having complete control. But to each their own. Off course racing dirt and riding street are night & day different. I actually rode one at the Fuel It tour that came thru PHX last year. I gotta admit it was a fun ride, but the bars were'nt straight up either. Plus being a demo I wasnt about to treat the bike as my own so there wasnt any aggressive riding on my part. Nice power compared to the other Vics I rode that day. Its just the bars, Man I dont know! Cheers!

J_Undisputed
05-05-2012, 05:38 PM
I have to agree on the handling. Coming a sport bike riding position where I used to spend much of the ride on my wrists or draped over the tank, I am getting used to my highball. It's very easy to do. I don't find myself fighting the bars at all. It's the wheel base and the ride height that I find myself adjusting to the most. The HB is deceivingly more agile in the low speeds than it looks. Maybe I have long arms for my height? At higher speeds, I'm running a little long in the corners now because the lean on the HB is totally confidence inspiring and the left over sport biker in me has already scraped the crap out out of the pegs a time or two... With my fists just about shoulder height (or slightly above), its a lot easier on my neck too to keep my focus down the road without the craning of the neck or Looking out of the tops of my eyes.

The wind is abusive at 85mph, but feeling the wind on me is the whole reason I started riding to begin with. I love it. Definitely no windshield for me. Just need a quieter helmet now.

cdickgo
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Picking up one of these suckers next Saturday. Haven't read one bad review.

CrossRoads
09-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Congrats! Nice choice. thumb up

BBob
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM

I had a grin from ear to ear when I test rode one. It had a stage 1 kit and a few baubles from the Victory catalog.

You are gonna love it!

HBJackson
09-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I have my bars pulled about 2" back which puts my hands slightly below shoulder level (I'm 5' 10"), and is the perfect position for me from a comfort and control perspective. I added 2" speakers under each bar, and it puts the tunes right in my ears. I am completely loving it! Know you will too.thumb up

canny
01-16-2013, 05:06 PM
ive owned a highball for about 4 months now and since the day i got on it i felt at home ive ridden a lot of differant bikes in my time but wow i love this bike, ive had stage 1fitted and im going to change the indicators also put on a side plate buts thats it safe ridding cheers

canny
01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
ive owned a highball for about 4 months now and since the day i got on it i felt at home ive ridden a lot of differant bikes in my time but wow i love this bike, ive had stage 1fitted and im going to change the indicators also put on a side plate buts thas it safe ridding cheers