Vision vs CC, windshield and riding diff [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Vision vs CC, windshield and riding diff

ridenfun
02-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd decided on a Vision mostly due to it's having a trunk and also the power windshield, as I live in Canada and am 6'2" with 33" inseam hence long torso)
Then saw pics of a CC with the rear trunk, which I prefer due to overall size and weight capacity etc of the CC
Then saw a comment on the Pics thread of this site about a "flip" windshield. CAN SOMEONE advise what this means, I can't find another referernce to "filp" style shield.

Finally I'd welcome anyone's comments on the riding differences, if any other than the obvious of the Vision having better wind protection due to full upper and lower fairing, between the Vision and the CC units.

diamondrmp
02-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure but I think it means the wind shield has a little lip that flips up on it. I know that Arlen Ness is coming out with one if it isn't already out.

I saw the prototype on his XC and he said it worked great with the shorty windshield.

The differences to me between the two was the Vision provides a lot more wind protection and IMO handles a little better than the XC.

ammo_umb
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
On a "flip" windshield the upper edge of the windshield is heated up and curved outward (towards the front side of the windshield). In theory the air that hits your winshield runs up the windshield and is pushed up and over the rider.

I'm so glad I picked the Cross Roads over the Cross Country. Once the windshield mystery is solved it wouldn't be bad. For now it seems like a few people are playing eenie meenie minee moe and buying windshield after windshield until they find one that works for them. It's like shoe shopping with my wife and daughters...

dirtdobber
02-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Actually several of us are very content with the flip windscreen, much better than a windshield for some of us. Those the like the XR prefers a windshield instead of a fairing. I say each to their own.
I am using the Gustafsson +4 flip and really like it, I prefer the flip over the straight. As good protection with a shorter windscreen.
There are other vendors that make a flip and some prefer the straight cut windscreen.

ammo_umb
02-14-2011, 06:20 PM
DD,
I'm not knocking the CC or anyone that owns it by any means; I wouldn't give anyone crap about what they ride - it's all a mix of personal choice and budget. I chose the XR because I'm not into music and didn't need a stereo. After buying my bike I noticed there were numerous posts from XR owners that were trying to find ways to defeat the wind. Several owners tried several windshields before they found one that worked for them.
I'm curious about the flip windshields; unless mine broke I probably wouldn't buy a new one if they started making one for CR. I'm a tight wad!

dirtdobber
02-14-2011, 07:40 PM
DD,
I'm not knocking the CC or anyone that owns it by any means; I wouldn't give anyone crap about what they ride - it's all a mix of personal choice and budget. I chose the XR because I'm not into music and didn't need a stereo. After buying my bike I noticed there were numerous posts from XR owners that were trying to find ways to defeat the wind. Several owners tried several windshields before they found one that worked for them.
I'm curious about the flip windshields; unless mine broke I probably wouldn't buy a new one if they started making one for CR. I'm a tight wad!
That was not my intentions, if it was perceived as such then I need to work on how I word things in the future.
What I meant was the XR/XC draws different folks because of it's looks and price.
My wife and I ride so much we like to have tunes, in fact this is the only tourer we have that doesn't have ICOM or a CB. I will not be adding a trunk or the other. I like the look of it with out them.
I spoke to Gustafsson to see if they would make a replacement flip for my grandsons Memphis shades. They said they can do it but would need the windshield to copy.

bigseadaddy
02-14-2011, 08:09 PM
For me it was not about price or looks but function.

Even though I got a helluva deal on my XR I could have have bought the XC just the same.

Looks I like both!!! I love the look of the fairing love the look of the classic XR.

My wife and I are really starting to get into the touring, she hated doing long distance with the softail! That said, she and I are 180 out on music likes. Long trips in the car/truck is always a compromise with us turning down the radio 90% of the time and us talking. There for we have full face helmets with intercoms. I don't know if we be able to hear the music with a full face anyways.

That and the other reason was I am not thrilled about not seeing my front wheel... something about it :crzy:

Getting back to the OP. My wife tells me all the time that the vision looks like it would be the chiznet for long rides!!!!

ammo_umb
02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
DD,
Your wording was fine; I didn't think anything was too pointed. When I send my first response I hoped not to offend anyone and proof read it a couple of times before submitting. It's impossible to predict responses on forums; people are normally very passionate about their choices and some get on the defensive.
I have a MS shield on my V-Star that is horrible at blocking wind. I would be willing to give the flip a try on it just based on your endorsement of this type of windshield.

visionjohnny
02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
ridenfun
If you put a flip windshield on a vision it would work great when its up cause the air will go over you.
When the windshield is down it will be "more" in your face.

dirtdobber
02-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Thank you.
Oh, thank you for your service.

U.S. Army 11B, 11DE Retired

Back to the OP.
Touring wise the Vision does has more riding comfort. The whole design is to have the rider and Passenger comfortable, including but not limited to wind/weather control. Since I do not ride a vision very often it's hard to say which 1 really handle better.
The biggest advantage to the Vision is wind/rain protection being built in. The lower fairings work great.
The biggest advantage to the XC is storage.
It's 1 of them things that you just have make a decision on.
I am very glad it's you and not me.
Shopping is part of the fun until you have to make the final decision.
If you could rent 1 of each for a weekend each.
It takes more than a 1 or 2 hour ride to really discover the good, bad, and ugly.
Last spring I was looking for a new tourer. It was down to the Vision and a Goldwing. My cousin has a Goldwing and one of my church/riding friends has a Vision. I got them for a whole day each.
It was a tough decision but storage concerns won out.

wesdalton
02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
On a "flip" windshield the upper edge of the windshield is heated up and curved outward (towards the front side of the windshield). In theory the air that hits your winshield runs up the windshield and is pushed up and over the rider.

I'm so glad I picked the Cross Roads over the Cross Country. Once the windshield mystery is solved it wouldn't be bad. For now it seems like a few people are playing eenie meenie minee moe and buying windshield after windshield until they find one that works for them. It's like shoe shopping with my wife and daughters...

No Mystery Cee Baileys 15" + Lowers :)

gregbenner
02-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Two of my buddies have Visions, I have a XC. From a comfort/weather protection view, to me the Vision is quite a bit better. However, I just didn't like the look of bike with the trunk attached, and the side cases are really small compared to the XC. Sure nice on the freeway though.