did my first oil change [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: did my first oil change

firetruck41
02-19-2011, 07:37 AM
very little metal in oil, that i could see. belt gauge says still in spec(34mm)

there just can't be a better road bike than this.

Bungln
02-19-2011, 08:05 AM
see if you can find a magnetic oil drain plug too. always worth the $10-15 IMHO. and you're right, one fine motorcycle.

CrossRoads
02-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Doing your own oil change is not only cost effective, but therapy for your soul.

About the magnetic plug, while I understand and appreciate its purpose, I always wonder what percentage of the particles that come loose are actually magnetic. Especially in the case of a Victory engine.

Does anybody have them in a low profile, similar to the OEM plug? I cannot stand the idea of a plug sticking down lower than the factory one - even though the odds are probably better to win the lottery than have a rock hit the drain plug and break it off, I still wonder about that aspect. I would love a magnetic drain plug that's comparable in size with the stock drain plug.

Paul M
02-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Magnetic plug is cool idea...the permanent oil filters also have a rare earth magnet in them for pre-filtering as well....the mag plugs are not that big as to cause a problem...Have one on my Vic....

RICZ
02-19-2011, 12:18 PM
There is a magnet that is strapped around the oil filter. I don't anything more about it, only saw a mention of it in a magazine.

firetruck41
02-19-2011, 05:12 PM
I think it's futile to add the magnet after the first oil change. the engine parts are pretty much worn in.

spurline
02-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Doing your own oil change is not only cost effective, but therapy for your soul.

I hear that! Plus you know it's done right! I have always used a magnetic drain plug in my machines. A engines ferrous wear particles will keep sloughing off through the live of an engine (rings and cylinder wall). I have had good luck with Gold Plugs. www.goldplug.com

firetruck41
02-23-2011, 03:28 PM
well i put an additional 350 miles on this week end. wife was aboard. that made weight around 400lbs with no luggage. the belt finally loosen up. needed to adjust. i settled on 28mm. now she's good to go.