2008 KP 8-Ball/Questions [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: 2008 KP 8-Ball/Questions

pakrz
03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi,

I just purchased a 2008 Kingpin 8-Ball with 4,800 miles on it. It's my first cruiser and I'm relatively new into the motorcycle scene. The 8-Ball has Victory shotgun pipes, leather hard bags, rear seat w/sissy bar and rear floor boards. The guy I bought it from didn't put a cover on it over the winter so it's pretty dusty (Was a big turnoff but I got through it).

I do have a few newbie questions that hopefully you guys could help me out with.

- I live in Wisconsin and the temps are still cold. What's the best way to clean the dust of the bike without scratching the paint? Is it best to just wait until it warms up? Some guy actually told me he cleans his bike with pledge... seriously. Anybody ever hear of that?

- Is it best to avoid products such as Armorall for the seat and bags?

- Speaking of cold weather, is it bad for the bike to start it up when it's below freezing?

- What type of fuel is normally ran through the 100 CI? The guy I bought it from said he always ran premium fuel without ethanol. Concur?

- The bike used to have a windshield but it cracked and the guy never replaced it. The mounting hardware is still there though. I can't find a brand on the mounting hardware. I will attempt to attach a picture to this thread and would appreciate it if anybody could identify it for me... Or perhaps mounting hardware is universal and would work with any brand of windshield? I'm pretty ignorant to accessories...

Thanks for the help and I'll take any hints, tips or lessons learned on these great bikes!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/pakrz/Hardware.jpg?t=1299595008

ks_greg
03-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Kingpin.

- I live in Wisconsin and the temps are still cold. What's the best way to clean the dust of the bike without scratching the paint?

Until it warms up enough where you can stand to dip your hand into a bucket of soapy water, go with a California mini-duster to remove the dust, then you can finish up with pledge and a microfiber towel. I bought my Pin in Sept, and haven't had a chance to wash it with soap and water yet, and I live on a dirt road. Duster and pledge is what's kept her shiny since purchase.

- Is it best to avoid products such as Armorall for the seat and bags?

Actually you can use pledge on the seat and bags too. Puts a nice shine on them without the slickness of armor all.

- Speaking of cold weather, is it bad for the bike to start it up when it's below freezing?

First off make sure the oil level is good, then look to see if it is set up for a battery tender or other type trickle charger. Usually there is a small plug near the left side cover. If there is a plug, invest the $30 or so and get the charger and keep your bike plugged in during the winter months.
If it will start, it's probably a good idea to do so, but resist the temptation to "rev" the motor while it sits. Fire her up and let it idle for a few minutes.

- What type of fuel is normally ran through the 100 CI? The guy I bought it from said he always ran premium fuel without ethanol. Concur?

Premium w/out ethanol is what the manual says.
If you don't have the owners manual for it, go to Polaris' site and you can download one there. Also, you can download a copy of the shop manual from this site. While waiting for the weather to warm up and the streets to dry off, it's good to go through both manuals and get familiar with what's in it. It will save you research time, and $$$ in the future.

- The bike used to have a windshield but it cracked and the guy never replaced it. The mounting hardware is still there though. I can't find a brand on the mounting hardware.

Not familiar with the Victory shields, so I don't know if that's a "lock and ride" setup or an aftermarket such as Memphis Shades.
If you want to keep a shield, you can probably go with an aftermarket like Memphis for way less than replacing a stock Victory unit.

pakrz
03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Pledge? Well I'll be damned. I thought the guy was crazy. :ltr:

I will absolutely use a duster, pledge and a microfiber cloth this evening to get it shined up.

I checked out the Memphis Shades mounting hardware online and it looks like the stuff I have. I would assume I could just buy a replacement shield (Plastic only?) and go from there.

Your response was greatly appreciated!

Scott

07PEARLJACKPOT
03-08-2011, 12:28 PM
i have a memphis shades shield on my jackpot
and from what i can tell from your picture the
bracket looks just like mine. enjoy your kingpin
it's a great ride.thumb up

pakrz
03-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I have been looking at the Memphis Shades Big Shot sportshield. Anybody have experience and/or an opinion on whether or not that would work fine on the KP?

visionjohnny
03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Read the label on pledge I think its a patrol um base product. Use a good spray detail er and a microfiber towels after a wash. California dusters work great.
Don't wash the bike till it gets warm out cause you can't put wax on till then.
Never put your microfiber towel in with fabric softener and never let your wax freeze. Fabric softeners have oil base to them.

Glen OS
03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Congrats on the bike. Sorry I made you look some more. You'll love it. Love my 07. Put 70 miles on it today, temps in the 30's. So comfortable. How close to 94 are you? I am riding to Minneapolis the first weekend of April for a week.

pakrz
03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Don't be sorry... I'm glad I had to wait. The bike I wanted deep down inside was the KP 8-Ball and I found one in my price range. So, in essence... I should be thanking you! cheers

I live in Tomah... right where 90 and 94 split.

diamondrmp
03-08-2011, 11:40 PM
All great advice.

As far as cleaning goes. If you use the California duster ( I use one) get the one made for the dash board. Its smaller and gives better control.

Be very very careful to lightly I stress LIGHTLY dust the bike. If you rub it you might as well use sand paper.

If the section does not come clean in 3 or less passes leave it until you can wash it.

pakrz
03-09-2011, 08:05 AM
I appreciate all the replies. I went out last night and picked up a california duster, some microfiber towels and orange pledge (:ltr:). That puppy sparkles. I found out that it worked best to follow up the pledge application with a completely dry microfiber towel.

ks_greg
03-09-2011, 09:31 AM
You got it. Spray pledge on one micro-fiber to apply, and use another dry one to polish.

pakrz
03-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Greg - How much wind protection do you get from that batwing? Does it keep the bugs out of your teeth?

ks_greg
03-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Greg - How much wind protection do you get from that batwing? Does it keep the bugs out of your teeth?
Once I got the angle adjusted, it does a good enough job for me. Mainly keeping that blast off your chest, and it sends the wind up over the top of my helmet. If needed, there are two taller shield options for the batwing, but I think the 5" will work fine.
The bike had one of the superfly mini shields on it from the dealer, but it didn't do a whole lot.
A shield of any other kind on the bike would look out of place I thought, so I took a chance on the batwing.
Happy with the looks and the function. Hell, I haven't even had it painted.

pakrz
03-09-2011, 01:04 PM
I can't seem to find in the owners manual how to remove the side covers. Can somebody help me out with that or point me in the right direction.

Thanks... Scott

Disregard - I figured it out.

CrossRoads
03-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I can't seem to find in the owners manual how to remove the side covers. Can somebody help me out with that or point me in the right direction.

Thanks... Scott

Side covers should come off by simply pulling from each corner of the cover outwards. Do not pull up and down, but straight out.

kwdunlap
03-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I recomend going to chopper detailing.com for a 7 step cleaning process and some good tools to use help keep your bike clean and scratch free as diamond mentioned.

Glen OS
03-10-2011, 04:16 PM
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/victory-motorcycles/Pages/parts-manuals.aspx

that is where I downloaded my manual from.

pakrz
03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
I rode this bike for the first time today... Froze my ass off but wow. The ride was incredibly smooth and the bike practically drove itself. Never experienced a ride quite like it. The balance and the turning just stood out to me.