Checking oil level [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Checking oil level

cervelo
04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Do you check it on the side stand or straight up??

Thanks

C

noobiepin
04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Manual always says to check it NOT on the stand. Bike has to be level other wise you get a low oil level indication.

cervelo
04-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanx noobiepin--

I didn't see that in the manual-- but I am not the sharpest knife in the butcher block either!!

C

CrossRoads
04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I didn't see that in the manual-- but I am not the sharpest knife in the butcher block either!!

Actually whoever designed it to check it that way was not the sharpest designer. Now you need two people to check your oil, or you have to have it on a lift. I thought checking oil was supposed to be a quick and easy process. :o

BBob
04-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I did it the way the manual said and got it spot on. Then I leaned it over on the kickstand and took another reading. It has about 3/8" of oil on the end of the dipstick when on the side stand and at the right level so that's how I check it now.

cervelo
04-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the help fellas- going to remember the 3/8" side stand deal and give it a go next time

wesdalton
04-03-2011, 09:49 PM
My concern with the 3/8" sides stand would be the road or surface your bike is on when you put it on the side stand could be far from level. As your side stand pad wears it also effects the lean angle. I would think if you want to be correct the only way to do it is to have the bike level. I have found that Vics use very little oil. So far I my bike hasn't dropped any noticeable amount between oil changed. I check it a few times between changes so for me it isn't that big of deal:)

BBob
04-03-2011, 11:01 PM
My concern with the 3/8" sides stand would be the road or surface your bike is on when you put it on the side stand could be far from level. As your side stand pad wears it also effects the lean angle. I would think if you want to be correct the only way to do it is to have the bike level. I have found that Vics use very little oil. So far I my bike hasn't dropped any noticeable amount between oil changed. I check it a few times between changes so for me it isn't that big of deal:)

Uh yup. I wasn't trying to say anyone else should use this method. I check my oil in the same spot in my garage all the time and I double check by putting the bike vertical every once in a while just to be sure. So far I haven't seen a change in oil level either way so I'm even happier to see the engine not using any oil at all.

Your mileage may vary....

Tarzan
04-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I like the side stand idea. I just didn't figure it would even register that way.
I always check my oil on a level surface, so I wouldn't worry about it not being accurate. I am going to check it with the bike standing up and then on the side stand to verify this.
It is a pita in my opinion trying to hold the bike upright with one hand ,and checking the oil with the other hand. I have a hard time telling if the bike is actually straight up while holding the bike up and holding my mouth just right and.....

ks_greg
04-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I just took a few short pieces of 2x4's and nailed them together to make a block that I slide under the frame and holds the bike straight up. Cheapest and most used "tool" in the garage. Use it when washing, detailing, just about everything.

visionjohnny
04-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Kinda funny harley softail always was check straight up for 15 years then there light bulb came on and they changed the dip stick so you could check on the side stand.
If victorys light bulb would come on it would be great. I changed my oil started the bike so the filter was full and with the bike on the kick stand I marked the dip stick where full was. Every now and then a 2x4 under the kick stand and do the check nothing changes its always right on.
Bottom line do it the way that makes you feel good.

henryb
07-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Always do the check oil level at straight position only.Do not check at side stand position it will not show the correct level.At any dealership if you would go , they check only at straight position.

Henry
07-19-2011, 01:52 PM
So, what's the best way to stand the bike straight up and down?
Front wheel Chock Stand?
2x4 under the kick stand?

I probably should just mount a chock stand in my garage...

vegas 8-ball
07-19-2011, 02:28 PM
When the salesman gave me the walk thru on my bike the day I was picking it up he told me to have the bike on the stand, remove the dipstick, wipe it off, then put it all the way back in, sit on the bike stand it upright for a few seconds then return it to the stand and recheck the dipstick. The oil mark will still be on the dipstick when you remove it. (unless you go and crack a beer before rechecking)
cheers

visionjohnny
07-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I started on sitting on the bike and checking then I went to a 2x4 under the kick stand.
Then I did a oil change and made sure it was were it should be then I put it on the kick stand found the line and with a hack saw made my own line.
I have checked it a dozen times and am good. Why Vic doesn't make a longer dip stick with new marks is beyond me.
Back in 85 when harleys softail came out it was check straight up and down. Then in 05 the light bulb came on and you check it on the side stand now.
It sure takes time for the know it all's to know it.

PrairieSon
07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Boys. This is so easy. While the oil is warm, just stand on the belt and dipstick side of the machine and tip it upright for a few seconds. Put it back down on the stand and check the oil. The oil is going to remain on the dipstick for a while once you set it upright and it climbs up the stick. Done.

wesdalton
07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
No problem for me, I just put it up on the KingBagger center stand, bike is upright, check oil and done thumb up

Del Fuego
07-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I just took a few short pieces of 2x4's and nailed them together to make a block that I slide under the frame and holds the bike straight up. Cheapest and most used "tool" in the garage. Use it when washing, detailing, just about everything.

I copied your idea and it worked great for my oil change.

digger1
07-21-2011, 11:02 PM
I must be missing something here. I have to agree with PrarieSon. Why use blocks, etc. and complicate matters. If the bike is leaned to the side, the level on the dipstick should be lower than when the bike is standing level.
Sit on the bike to make level, lean back on the stand, pull dipstick and check the level. The oil level on the stick will accurately show the "level" position. Make sure you screw the dipstick all the way in for accuracy.

big shawn
07-23-2011, 07:38 AM
not really seeing the problem here....I grab an oil rag, get on the bike,stand it up straight, lean over, remove the stick and check it.

goon
08-29-2011, 04:07 AM
why dont you do as I do,place a rag over the exhaust to catch drips then loosen th dipstick and straddle the bike your legs keeping it vertical and withdraw the dipstick.

swatsonv92
09-26-2011, 09:02 AM
one person can accurately check the oil level on the side stand. here's how 1. pull dipstick and thoroughly wipe dry. 2. reinstall dipstick (you must screw it all the way down) and GENTLY stand bike upright for a few seconds, then GENTLY return motorcycle to side stand position. 3. pull dipstick and read oil level all by your lonesome self.

BBob
09-26-2011, 01:05 PM
one person can accurately check the oil level on the side stand. here's how 1. pull dipstick and thoroughly wipe dry. 2. reinstall dipstick (you must screw it all the way down) and GENTLY stand bike upright for a few seconds, then GENTLY return motorcycle to side stand position. 3. pull dipstick and read oil level all by your lonesome self.

Excellent idea! thumb upthumb up

swatsonv92
09-26-2011, 04:51 PM
yeah sorry about he redundant answer y'all, i didn't bother to read all of the posts in this thread. if i had bothered i would have known that there were several versions of my method. oh well glad to help.

BBob
09-26-2011, 08:38 PM
yeah sorry about he redundant answer y'all, i didn't bother to read all of the posts in this thread. if i had bothered i would have known that there were several versions of my method. oh well glad to help.

I didn't think it was redundant. Thanks again.

MeSeaHunt
03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
is it really that difficult to sit on your bike and keep it straight up for 60 seconds to unscrew the stick and check it? Guess I must just be missing something here?? wac

Ahoutzer
03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm missing something, too. Just sit on the bike to keep it upright, take out the dipstick and check the oil level. What's the big deal?

swatsonv92
03-11-2012, 08:01 AM
is it really that difficult to sit on your bike and keep it straight up for 60 seconds to unscrew the stick and check it? Guess I must just be missing something here?? wac

msh: it may not be that difficult for yourself, but some of us are old fat bastards with bad backs, knees, etc.etc. and we need to be able to do this a different way.

swatsonv92
03-11-2012, 08:09 AM
msh: it may not be that difficult for yourself, but some of us are old fat bastards with bad backs, knees, etc.etc. and we need to be able to do this a different way.

in other words adapt/improvise/overcome.

MeSeaHunt
03-11-2012, 09:15 AM

The kinda folks with all those conditions sound like the perfect candidates for a new TRIKE... :ltr:

Lance
03-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Three pages of posts to discuss how to check the oil... this could make for some great chuckles by owners of Harleys, don't they just add a quart a week and leave it at that?

:ltr:

MeSeaHunt
03-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I NEVER check mine cause it NEVER leaks... I would be able to tell though cause it is parked in the part of the garage that I don't often get to and the dust would soak it up anyways... cheers

Lance
03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I NEVER check mine cause it NEVER leaks... I would be able to tell though cause it is parked in the part of the garage that I don't often get to and the dust would soak it up anyways... cheers

(There are other ways to lose oil... look in your mirror, notice those black clouds behind you... yeah, me neither)

:p