How many quarts??? [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: How many quarts???

Pokoki
04-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I recently picked up an 09 Victory Vegas 8-ball with 1900 miles. Awesome bike!!!

Last weekend I got the oil change kit from my Victory dealer and then two new plugs and went to work.

I warmed up the bike and proceeded to drain the oil. My dealer said it takes 4.75 quarts to fill it when changing the filter. I did have the bike on a stand on level ground. I put in roughly 4.75 and checked it and it was reading very low. So I put the dipstick back in and started the bike. It ran for 30-45 secs. I checked the oil again, it is was still reading low.

I ended up using all 6 quarts of oil for it to finally read where it is supposed to on the dipstick.

Sorry for the novel, but is 6 quarts too much???? I haven't taken the bike on a ride since then. A little nervous.

Paul M
04-08-2011, 05:00 PM
The manual states 4.75 quarts but most will tell you it takes less than that....when you run it after adding you shut it down and wait a few minutes for things to settle....you might want to check it cold just to see....but I have never heard of a Victory Vegas that will take 6 quarts.....are you sure it wasn't maybe 6 liters....? (no, I'm not being smart)

wesdalton
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
It sounds like you were checking the oil with the bike on the side stand. The bike has to be level. (not leaning on the side stand). :mad:

visionjohnny
04-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Your owners manual say check oil with bike straight up and down.
If you don't have a owners manual you can download one here and save it to your files.
Call your dealer or whom you bought the bike from and get the manual.
Next time change the oil and the filter start the bike after 4 quarts and check then add check then add.

Pokoki
04-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Everything is good to go. My buddy finally confessed over the weekend...and he got me good. He was helping change the oil while on a stand, NOT the kickstand while I was changing the plugs. He dumped 2 quarts of oil into a different container and then threw the empty quarts on the ground as if he already used them.

We used just over 4.5 quarts of oil, and the level is perfect.

Thanks guys

visionjohnny
04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't call him a buddy. Next he'll pull a wire and your bike will not start.
I all for jokes but not with my bike.

NewCrew
04-14-2011, 08:35 AM
With a filter change 4 Quarts + 16 oz. is perfect. (hince 4 1/2) Sure is nice not having to change all 3 holes with 3 different types of oil.cheers

Rifleman
05-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Where can I find the link(s) to owners manuals. Just picked up a JP and original owner could not find the owners manual.