Thinking I'll get a Jackpot [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Thinking I'll get a Jackpot

jenksdrummer
04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
After selling my bike and thinking hard on getting a Harley, I've decided that Harley just seems "dated" to me...gave a Victory Jackpot (demo bike at a local dealership) and came out of it certain that the Jackpot is what I'm looking for...everything just felt right with it, and it meets all the criteria (other than not-being-a-harley) that I was looking for in a new bike...

This dealer happened to have a Jackpot in black, but has over 5K miles on it and is a couple years old - has the 100ci engine. They also fired a friend of mine so I really have no intent in buying from this specific dealer. ;)

Another dealership doesn't have one in stock (in any color), but can get one for me from another dealership in the state.

Thing is, I know that Victory has made some changes to the Jackpot (and other bikes) over the years, so, given that they are going to sell me a bike that might be an 11, 10, 09, or maybe an 08, could you guys outline what changes were made since 2008 model year for the Jackpot?

Many thanks....with any luck I'll be signing papers on the financing side of things tomorrow...

BMac
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
08 was the first year for the closed loop system on the bikes, 09 was the first year for the 106 motor in them to compensate for the closed loop system. As for 10 and '11 models I believe there were just very minor changes if any

haknslash
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago. I was going to buy another HD (FXDWG to be exact) but I gave the Vic's a shot. Am I'm so glad I dd. I love my Jackpot and don't have any buyers remorse. It's a sexy looking bike with flowing lines, it's got the "bling" factor, and it'll make you feel like you've got something you won't see at the red light next to you. I was worried it might not be enough to overcome my "well, it's not a Harley" mindset at that time, but that was gone the second I test rode it. I have a thread where I compared back to back test rides of a bone stock '11 Hammer, '09 Jackpot (w/ Cobra pipes and Stage 1) and '08 Vegas Premium (100ci). All of them brand new bikes, some were leftovers. The difference is not that noticeable in terms of power delivery from the open loop 100ci motor to the closed loop 106ci motor IMHO. If you find a good deal on a used 100ci motor Jackpot, I'd jump on it. I did and she ain't no slouch lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/haknslash2003/HoDVR/4-9-11%20meeting/myjackpot5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/haknslash2003/HoDVR/4-9-11%20meeting/myjackpot.jpg

diamondrmp
04-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Nuff said!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/diamondrmp/November%202009/PortiangleRightSideMedium.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/diamondrmp/November%202009/PortiLeftSideMedium.jpg

haknslash
04-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Yup if that's not a hook line n' sinker than a JP ain't for him. :D

I want to know more about your air ride in the rear.

KDB
04-11-2011, 08:37 PM
After selling my bike and thinking hard on getting a Harley, I've decided that Harley just seems "dated" to me...gave a Victory Jackpot (demo bike at a local dealership) and came out of it certain that the Jackpot is what I'm looking for...everything just felt right with it, and it meets all the criteria (other than not-being-a-harley) that I was looking for in a new bike...

This dealer happened to have a Jackpot in black, but has over 5K miles on it and is a couple years old - has the 100ci engine. They also fired a friend of mine so I really have no intent in buying from this specific dealer. ;)

Another dealership doesn't have one in stock (in any color), but can get one for me from another dealership in the state.

Thing is, I know that Victory has made some changes to the Jackpot (and other bikes) over the years, so, given that they are going to sell me a bike that might be an 11, 10, 09, or maybe an 08, could you guys outline what changes were made since 2008 model year for the Jackpot?

Many thanks....with any luck I'll be signing papers on the financing side of things tomorrow...

I just bought a Jackpot last week. My first American bike in 38 years of riding. I too could not pull the trigger on a HD. There are many New non-current 09-10's out there and the dealers have HUGE rebates and are willing to deal. I got a 09 out of state and its being shipped to my driveway. Could it get any better. Check out my pics of my new ride

diamondrmp
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Yup if that's not a hook line n' sinker than a JP ain't for him. :D

I want to know more about your air ride in the rear.

Its the Kewlmetal Bleed Feed air ride. Whats cool about it is that it has two adjustments. One for height the other for rebound.

I can adjust it from a plush ride and set it as tight as a rigid frame bike.thumb up

sofakingblue
04-12-2011, 07:55 AM
A Vic with only 5K miles is barely broken in [keep in mind it's NOT a Harley]. I have an 08 with the 100 CID motor and it's a great ride, zero problems other than a flat tire.

If you get a great deal on a used Vic, I would go for it.

jenksdrummer
04-12-2011, 08:14 AM
A Vic with only 5K miles is barely broken in [keep in mind it's NOT a Harley]. I have an 08 with the 100 CID motor and it's a great ride, zero problems other than a flat tire.

If you get a great deal on a used Vic, I would go for it.

They quoted me 13,5 for the 2005. It has the swept pipes and a transmission that doesn't go into neutral very well. To me, that's not a good deal. That's an untitled used bike, IMO.

For the bike I'm looking at getting today, they quoted me $18 straight out the door, and from what I know the bike has 4 miles on the clock, according to them, from moving it around at this other dealership.

Of course I'd like to haggle down as that's $500 of MSRP. What's the invoice on these bikes, if anyone has that info?

sofakingblue
04-12-2011, 08:23 AM
They quoted me 13,5 for the 2005. It has the swept pipes and a transmission that doesn't go into neutral very well. To me, that's not a good deal. That's an untitled used bike, IMO.

For the bike I'm looking at getting today, they quoted me $18 straight out the door, and from what I know the bike has 4 miles on the clock, according to them, from moving it around at this other dealership.

Of course I'd like to haggle down as that's $500 of MSRP. What's the invoice on these bikes, if anyone has that info?

That's too much. The local dealer has a new '10 for under $16,000.

http://www.cruisin66cycles.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=-182792&Brand=-8071&Type=-2689&fm=1

jenksdrummer
04-12-2011, 09:00 AM
That's too much. The local dealer has a new '10 for under $16,000.

http://www.cruisin66cycles.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=-182792&Brand=-8071&Type=-2689&fm=1

This one, I think, is supposed to be an '11.

Also, consider that 16K probably includes the 2K rebate on the '10's that Victory is doing as a promo to move product :)

haknslash
04-12-2011, 11:12 AM

Jackpot was introduced in 06. Finding nuetral can be a skill to master on these bikes it seems. I did research on mine when I bought it as it was/is difficult to get into neutral. The search results told me this happens on several JP's. A simple blip of the throttle makes finding neutral much easier as suggested by others. I think a little tinkering with the clutch adjustment and running quality full synth oil will probably help.

As for the price, there are a TON of good deals to be had buying from a private seller. It's great to also help support your local Victory dealer, so if buying new is what you want then go that route. Otherwise the only way I'd buy a used bike from a dealer is if it's on consignment with the private seller/dealer. That's what I did. This keeps the delaership form having the ability to price gouge you as the final price is determined by haggling with the private seller, not the dealership's final word.

Craigslist is a great site but the search engine sucks. Use searchtempest.com to easily search CL ad's over multiple states/cities at once.

FWIW, my local dealer has a leftover 09 black JP that I test drove. It has stage 1 with Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust (sounds good). You can see the bike and video of it by seeing my thread http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4712. Victory is running a rebate on leftover Jackpots. I think it's $3k on 09 models. I can't remember exactly but I want to say this 09 JP was $13.5 OTD. I'm sure you could have it shipped for around $650 and probably have that rolled into your total price. Just a thought.

jenksdrummer
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Jackpot was introduced in 06. Finding nuetral can be a skill to master on these bikes it seems. I did research on mine when I bought it as it was/is difficult to get into neutral. The search results told me this happens on several JP's. A simple blip of the throttle makes finding neutral much easier as suggested by others. I think a little tinkering with the clutch adjustment and running quality full syn oil will probably help.

As for the price, there are a TON of good deals to be had buying from a private seller. It's great to also help support your local Victory dealer, so if buying new is what you want then go that route. Otherwise the only way I'd buy a used bike from a dealer is if it's on consignment with the private seller/dealer. That's what I did. This keeps the delaership form having the ability to price gouge you as the final price is determined by haggling with the private seller, not the dealership's final word.

Craigslist is a great site but the search engine sucks. Use searchtempest.com to easily search CL ad's over multiple states/cities at once.

FWIW, my local dealer has a leftover 09 black JP that I test drove. It has stage 1 with Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust (sounds good). You can see the bike and video of it by seeing my thread http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4712. Victory is running a rebate on leftover Jackpots. I think it's $3k on 09 models. I can't remember exactly but I want to say this 09 JP was $13.5 OTD. I'm sure you could have it shipped for around $650 and probably have that rolled into your total price. Just a thought.

Thank you, maybe it was an 06, all I know is it had a 100ci engine and wasn't the 106. All good info, though I'm a stickler on wanting to go new and not used. I like knowing everything about the machine...that and I know how I ride...I don't know how it was ridden by the previous owner... :)

haknslash
04-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Understandable about wanting to buy new. It's a nice thing to know you are the only owner. Best of luck and hope you join the JP family soon thumb up

jenksdrummer
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Understandable about wanting to buy new. It's a nice thing to know you are the only owner. Best of luck and hope you join the JP family soon thumb up

Might be later today, provided the dealer calls me back and I get him the credit info...

jenksdrummer
04-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Well, I confirmed it's a 2011, it's in a crate, and I've got the financing straight...just gotta sign papers...

Dealer went and picked up bike from other dealer in the state. Called them and it won't be until after 7:00 and they close at 6:00. That was a dissappointing yesterday.

So, today at noon, I'll be heading there, going over the bike, signing papers, and leaving to park it in my garage, then go back to work...then band practice after work - lol.

haknslash
04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Awesome! Post pics when you pick her up.

Also might be a good idea to join your local (edited per forum rules) riders group. thumb up

BBob
04-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Cool! Definitely post up some pics. Oh, and the 11's on have a neutral finder so no more having to fight for neutral plus the 11's on do oil changes every 5k miles compared to the recommend 2500 miles on the previous motors but I still think they were just being overly cautious on that interval.

jenksdrummer
04-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Signed the papers and rode it home yesterday. Boss was nice and gave me the afternoon off.

Couple of notable items that I'll be hitting the dealer back on - a kind of ocilation/growling from the right mid/back of the bike during decel, from around 20MPH and under, brakes/no-brakes, clutch/no clutch...seems to do it regardless. Called the dealer just a few minutes ago, and said bring it on in, and they'll go over it again. The other is that when you get on the front brake hard, it starts sounding like those air brakes semi's and dump trucks use when they howl. Not that big of a deal - but it might be an indicator that it might squak later on with the brake pad's life.

Put 80 on the clock yesterday with it...no helmet...which I'm used a full-face and wear glasses, so my eyes were watering like I'd been sniffing a fresh cut onion...no worries, I have a helmet on order. I mention this because with all the wind noise and bad vision, I didn't get a chance to REALLY analyze the bike. I will say there seems to be more lash with the redesigned transmission and the transmission itself is pretty noisy in neutral...and that neutral finder...PITA. I hit neutral unintended quite a bit last night...compared to the 06 I test drove a few days ago - that bike I couldn't find neutral...but either way no big deal. Shifts happen with a VERY authorative CLUNK. I also had trouble getting from Neutral into first...it'd clunk like it went in gear, then give it some gas and nothing - it did this enough times in a row that I was starting to think my transmission was messed up....Seems I have to beat this transmission with a stick...didn't give me any problems the rest of the night - and the bike was plenty warm...

Overall I'm happy with the bike, it's got enough quirks to make it interesting, the way I look at it. That said, extended warranty might be in my future...I have a year to figure that out...lol

KDB
04-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Signed the papers and rode it home yesterday. Boss was nice and gave me the afternoon off.

Couple of notable items that I'll be hitting the dealer back on - a kind of ocilation/growling from the right mid/back of the bike during decel, from around 20MPH and under, brakes/no-brakes, clutch/no clutch...seems to do it regardless. Called the dealer just a few minutes ago, and said bring it on in, and they'll go over it again. The other is that when you get on the front brake hard, it starts sounding like those air brakes semi's and dump trucks use when they howl. Not that big of a deal - but it might be an indicator that it might squak later on with the brake pad's life.

Put 80 on the clock yesterday with it...no helmet...which I'm used a full-face and wear glasses, so my eyes were watering like I'd been sniffing a fresh cut onion...no worries, I have a helmet on order. I mention this because with all the wind noise and bad vision, I didn't get a chance to REALLY analyze the bike. I will say there seems to be more lash with the redesigned transmission and the transmission itself is pretty noisy in neutral...and that neutral finder...PITA. I hit neutral unintended quite a bit last night...compared to the 06 I test drove a few days ago - that bike I couldn't find neutral...but either way no big deal. Shifts happen with a VERY authorative CLUNK. I also had trouble getting from Neutral into first...it'd clunk like it went in gear, then give it some gas and nothing - it did this enough times in a row that I was starting to think my transmission was messed up....Seems I have to beat this transmission with a stick...didn't give me any problems the rest of the night - and the bike was plenty warm...

Overall I'm happy with the bike, it's got enough quirks to make it interesting, the way I look at it. That said, extended warranty might be in my future...I have a year to figure that out...lol

Congrats on the new ride...bummer that you have noticed issues out of the crate. I hope that is the expection rather then the norm for the '11 line. Please post what the resolution is after seeing the dealer again.

jenksdrummer
04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Congrats on the new ride...bummer that you have noticed issues out of the crate. I hope that is the expection rather then the norm for the '11 line. Please post what the resolution is after seeing the dealer again.

Given it came out of a crate and it had *0* on it when I drove it off...I was somewhat expecting there could be a couple items that'll need addressing. Not a big deal. I mean, it sort of is, but, I expect it'll be something minor.

The thing that throws me a bit is that it get a bit of a bucking/lurching sensation with the growl/rub (as if the brakes are being applied slightly then not - even though I'm not using the rear brake at times when this is happening)...I checked the belt and didn't see anything obvious, but that's what my gut is saying - either that or a bearing in the rear wheel, or rear wheel is slightly out of alignment...or it could be the rear brake is slightly rubbing and the rear disk is warped...or the caliper is sticking...or...

Best way to tell would be to put it on a lift with the rear wheel free, and give it a spin and see if there's anything rough/rubbing...I don't have a lift, so...dealer it is. :)

haknslash
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Keep in mind most moving parts take time to break in. Tolerances are on the tight end (save for valvetrain) in the beginning. I don't think I've ever ridden a bike right out of a crate. Most new bike I rode usually had around 15+ miles on it and I'd notice things were stiff, noisy etc. This goes for any new bike manufacturer I've ever ridden. Ride a bike that has at least a few hundred or thousand miles on them and things seem more fluid or easier to live with due to the motor and bike breaking in.

As for the clunky tranny I think it's just a trait of these types of big bikes. If you think these trannies have a clunk to them, you should of ridden my 07 Sportster lol. Ever HD I've ridden has a serious clunk. I don't even think a Victory would register a 2 out of 10 on the HD clunk tranny lol. It's that different relative to having a clunky tranny.

That being said, congrats on te new bike! I'm sure you dealer will take care of you on addressing your concerns. I'm sure you'll warm up to the bike in no time.

Post pics!