Reverse or No: that is the question [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Reverse or No: that is the question

pwcscc
04-23-2011, 05:24 AM
On the verge of getting a 2011 Vision and was hoping to hear from some Vision owners as to whether or not they felt having the reverse installed was necessary/worth it. Those without it...do you wish you had it? THANKS!

Paul M
04-23-2011, 06:58 AM
On the verge of getting a 2011 Vision and was hoping to hear from some Vision owners as to whether or not they felt having the reverse installed was necessary/worth it. Those without it...do you wish you had it? THANKS!

To me it is one of those "nice to have" items...But I would do my Bike mods first...then the "nice to haves"...Performance then comforts......cheers

pwcscc
04-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks, Paul M. We are going to be so boring by comparison. As crazy as this might sound, I likely won't change ANYTHING with regards to performance. Stock runs fine for me! It's all about comfort and convenience. I'm 6' 210 and no physical limitations (knee/hip issues) that often make reverses essential. I'm just wondering if the (great) way it sits low makes reverse less necessary. I'm thinking what I'll probably do is get it without reverse then have it installed later if I run into parking problems.

BBob
04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks, Paul M. We are going to be so boring by comparison. As crazy as this might sound, I likely won't change ANYTHING with regards to performance. Stock runs fine for me! It's all about comfort and convenience. I'm 6' 210 and no physical limitations (knee/hip issues) that often make reverses essential. I'm just wondering if the (great) way it sits low makes reverse less necessary. I'm thinking what I'll probably do is get it without reverse then have it installed later if I run into parking problems.

You won't have any issues with parking. Vic's don't have a locking kick stand so you will never be backing up uphill to park.

CrossRoads
04-23-2011, 11:28 AM
... It's all about comfort and convenience. I'm 6' 210 and no physical limitations (knee/hip issues) that often make reverses essential. I'm just wondering if the (great) way it sits low makes reverse less necessary. I'm thinking what I'll probably do is get it without reverse then have it installed later if I run into parking problems.

You're supposed to only park on flat surfaces (as per your MSF instructor, owners manual, DMV handbook, and everybody else who wants to comment on this subject). However, in the world we live in, 0% sloped pavement does not exist or at least it's not supposed to exist (due to water runoff considerations). So, you'll never get to park on flat pavement.

I have learned my lesson to pay close attention to any grading of the pavement where I park, including my garage. At first, I was trying to back my bike into the garage, but pushing the beast up-hill (even on 1% grade) ends up being a serious leg workout. Then I started to just ride it in (uphill) and parking it that way. You park like that, and when you get on it to ride, you just roll it backwards, downhill, and you'll never wish you had a reverse.

If you like to fight gravity, then having the reverse option is a must. If you learn to use gravity to your advantage, the reverse option is useless. Surely someone could contradict me on that, coming up with some scenario where you're stuck and must reverse uphill, but if you're being a realist you'll see my point.

Vic's don't have a locking kick stand so you will never be backing up uphill to park.
Actually, I believe the Visions do. :p

RICZ
04-23-2011, 11:44 AM
The best advice I heard about parking a bike is "park it like you are about to rob a bank." On the serious side, always park it in first gear so it won't roll.

OldGringo
04-23-2011, 03:28 PM
During two years of Vision ownership I've only needed a reverse once. Would it be nice to have? For sure, but $1000 plus install buys a lot of other things.

Pete W
04-23-2011, 04:03 PM
From a slightly different perspective, I had a test ride of a Vision last week :D . It was so much easier to maneuver backwards (very, very, slightly uphill) into parking spots than my Rocket Touring (similar sort of weight), and I've only been caught once wishing I had reverse on the Touring in 2 years (didn't pay enough attention when picking the spot :o ...)

If I had the spare grand I'd probably put it on, just in case, but it wouldn't be an "essential".

Pete

REPEATERUSR
04-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Well I'll have to say ---yes for me it was worth the 1500.00 extra . I got the bike without it and 2 weeks after that I decided that was one item that I could really use. Why I decided to get it was one day I did park the bike on a slight downhill grade,not very much of one,but enough that when I did get out of that spot I had to take some nitro for my heart problem. I didn't think it would bother me , pushing the bike back but didn't take long to find this out. I did push the demo Vision at the dealers place ( with the wife on the back )with no problem at all. Guess where I parked wasn't as level as I thought. But since I've put it on, I use it alot and for me and my problem its something I now concider a must. Next thing I'll be looking for will be the crossbow trike,but hope that's 10 or more years from now ;) Hope this helps.

Phrogdriver
04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
For what it's worth, I just came from a BMW K1200LT, which had reverse and needed it. I sat a good 5 inches higher, and the bike was more top heavy than is my Vision. Comparatively, the Vision is a breeze to back up manually... I think there are other things to spend that money on.

joseph
04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I have it on my wing, and I will have it on my Vision. I don't use it all the time but it sure is nice when I'm loaded and two up. Even more so when I'm pulling the trailer. We pull a trailer when we go on 4,000 + miles trips and reverse really comes in handly pulling a trailer. For me, its a yes on a large touring bike.

Shuffles
04-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I tend to agree with Joseph. I also came off a wing doing a lot of travel with a trailer, reverse is nice to have. My problem with the vision is a 29 in inseam, the tip over bars get in my way when pushing the bike back.

But then again, watch where you park is certainly a good part of the answer. The XC is very easy to back up, little tough with my trailer. Like was stated prior--Park Smart.

jkfrazier
05-08-2011, 03:15 PM

You don't need it. Yes in somes cases it may come in handy, but you can do without it. Just be aware of where you are parking and you won't have a problem.

I had a 2005 Goldwing with reverse and while it was nice, I have not missed it on my 2010 Vision. I'm only 5'7" but I have no problem backing the bike with it's low seat height.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

pwcscc
05-10-2011, 05:39 AM
I finally got my Vision on 4/29/11 and it's so easy to move around I don't think I'm gonna need Reverse unless I develop some health problems. Thanks everyone for all your input!