Gas splashing out when filling...... [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Gas splashing out when filling......

Randy
06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Every now and then I can find a pump that will let me ease the trigger, but most of the time while gas is going in it has the tendacy to splash back out. Must be the tank design cause my other bike never did this. I know they make an adapter one can place over the fill opening to prevent this but I am unable to locate.
Anyone else having this problem?

Solutions????

diamondrmp
06-05-2011, 08:21 PM
If you fill from the right side of the bike and angle it to the left that will help.

I also take some paper towel and hold the nozzle end and that catches the splash.

CrossRoads
06-05-2011, 09:05 PM
The splash won't kill the paint, so don't worry too much about it - it fully evaporates as soon as you get the bike rolling again. When the splashing happens next time, with the trigger fully pulled, move the pump slowly from one angle to another. You will find that only certain angles result in splash, while other angles give zero splash. Once that's figured out, you will start using the no-splash angle from there on.

Randy
06-05-2011, 10:28 PM
I feel like I've tried all angles to no avail. Will try further--per other sources I've been informed of a product called McCuff to help prevent this.

Speedblue
06-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Check J&P Cycles I believe they offer it. You can order it on line.With shipping charges you better get a few other things.

Paul M
06-06-2011, 07:39 AM
I feel like I've tried all angles to no avail. Will try further--per other sources I've been informed of a product called McCuff to help prevent this.

Something else to carry around....? Why not slow down and use a little care....? To each their own........:crzy:

Peredhil
06-06-2011, 02:23 PM
most stations offer window cleaning supplies by the pumps. i just grab one of those towels and wrap it to block the splash. but still got to be mindful you don't overflow it :cool:

Randy
06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Some pumps will not let you squeeze real slow, it's all or nothing. Others will let you feather the trigger, this is what I usally do--you get more gas filling slow than fast, at least this is what I've been told, has to do with expansion and air specially when hot. I always use the towells and window cleaner when it does splash over, doesn't happen every time, just with certain pumps. The McCuff does come with it's own carry bag, and with saddlebags, the extra item is of no concern to me--already carry plug kit and foot pump just incase.
Thanks all for the feedback!

diamondrmp
06-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Some pumps will not let you squeeze real slow, it's all or nothing. Others will let you feather the trigger, this is what I usally do--you get more gas filling slow than fast, at least this is what I've been told, has to do with expansion and air specially when hot. I always use the towells and window cleaner when it does splash over, doesn't happen every time, just with certain pumps. The McCuff does come with it's own carry bag, and with saddlebags, the extra item is of no concern to me--already carry plug kit and foot pump just incase.
Thanks all for the feedback!

Window cleaner is HORRIBLE on paint. Especially if it contains ammonia and or alcohol. It will strip off any wax which leaves your paint exposed. Then you start using it on the paint and it erodes the paint.

Henry
06-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I thought we were always suppose to carry a bottle of S100 with us. ;)

WilCon76
06-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Beats me, I don't have any issues dealing with this. Fill the tank on the side stand, place nozzle in the opening and fill.

Oldcarjunkie
06-26-2011, 09:36 AM
I usually fill from the right side of the bike with it on the stand(filling towards the left ) and keep only half pressure on the pump, no splashing here

leighhannah
06-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I've heard that some flat paints can be ruined by splashing gas, so I was worried about splashing gas on the new High Ball's paint. :( After 2,500 miles and splashing gas more than a dozen times, :confused: my paint remains flawless! thumb up

I always carry a handkerchief with me in case i need to dab up any large splatters. I NEVER EVER USE GAS STATION or PAPER TOWELS because THEY CAN SCRATCH THE PAINT! :mad: