Cross Bike Antenna Mount Options [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Cross Bike Antenna Mount Options

Lo-Dawg
07-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Anyone who owns a Cross Bike or spends any time in this forum realizes pretty quickly that the Cross Roads and the Cross Country are essentially the same bike under the fairings and windshields and bags. It was with that in mind that I started researching antennas for an aftermarket CB radio. Taking a peak at the service manual, I found where the Victory CB radio antenna mounts to the frame between the fender and the saddle bag on the XC. Checking my XR, sure enough, the same mount location exists. Cool.

I checked the parts catalogue and found the part numbers for the mount, the cable that goes with the mount, and the mounting hardware. I took this list into my dealership to see how much it would cost to order the parts. With tax, $92.29. Ouch.

So now I'm looking for options. The holes in the mounting location are about 3/4"-ish center to center, but I can't find a similar mount with the same spacing. I'd like to use that location, as it can help keep the antenna away from the passenger, but I am open to other options. I have the Victory sissy bar and luggage rack on the bike.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

ridinman
07-22-2011, 02:19 PM
I had the CB and Victory antenna put on when I bought the bike, after putting on the trunk, the stock antenna would not work very well. It has to lean back at about a 45 degree angle to clear the trunk. CB antennas need to be pretty close to vertical to work correctly.

I bought a CB antenna at a truck stop, fabricated a mount out of a flat piece of 1 inch, 1/8 inch thick steel and mounted it to one of the bolts that hold the exhaust.

This works well, but I know I need to have the antenna higher to get better reception. I've seen some I can mount to the side of the trunk, but its not straight or flat, so I have to custom fab a mounting adapter.

Here's a pic of my current antenna placement.

visionjohnny
07-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I would think a CB shop could help or even radio shack

RICZ
07-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Assuming you are installing the handlebar mounted J&M CB intercom, like I did, I bought their 2 foot antenna kit which includes a length of workable flat bar. I cut off a piece to make a rotating mounting for the antenna itself. I have the Vic passenger back rest and rack, which is rather large and I mounted the antenna farther aft of the factory location so it will clear the rack at a pleasing angle. That angle being the same as the forks. Study the attached pictures. cheers

Lo-Dawg
07-22-2011, 08:36 PM
That's exactly the kind of approach I was looking for. Thanks, RICZ!

RICZ
07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
That's exactly the kind of approach I was looking for. Thanks, RICZ!
Note in the photo that there is a right angle bend at the bottom of the bar for fastening it to an existing hole in the muffler support. Also note the grounding strap secured under the closest bolt in the muffler support. I had to do some careful bending to keep the bracket from touching the fender. BTW, the bracket is not visible to the casual viewer. I remove the antenna when not using the CB and place a screw in the exposed hole to keep water and crud out. thumb up

Lo-Dawg
07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I was going to ask about that once i had something to work with. :)

RICZ
07-22-2011, 10:45 PM
I was going to ask about that once i had something to work with. :)
Feel free to ask questions. If you need to see more photos, I'll take some. thumb up

CrossRoads
07-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Feel free to ask questions. If you need to see more photos, I'll take some. thumb up

I have been eyeing that mounting spot for a flag mount. What do you think about it? Do you see any obstacles in using it for a custom flag mount? I'm thinking small flag 12"x18" max, most likely a 9"x12".

RICZ
07-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I have been eyeing that mounting spot for a flag mount. What do you think about it? Do you see any obstacles in using it for a custom flag mount? I'm thinking small flag 12"x18" max, most likely a 9"x12".
From what I've seen of your posts, you sure know your way around a shop. For that size flag, I think a bracket like that will do. I'd use 1/8" thick by 1" wide flat stock for rigidity. I made a bracket for holding a much larger flag. It mounts on to the Vic luggage rack. No pictures yet, but if anyone is interested, I'll get the old Kodak out and send some.

BBob
07-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Radio (http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Biketronics_Inc_Helitron_Flexible_Rubber_Antenna_p/bt89.htm)

CB (http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/J_M_CB_Antenna_Staff_kit_for_Victory_Vision_p/vas-100.htm)

CB (http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/J_M_License_Plate_Mount_CB_Antenna_Kits_p/lpcba.htm)

CB and Radio (http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Kuryakyn_Dual_Function_Flexible_Antenna_p/kury-dfant.htm)

CrossRoads
07-23-2011, 09:49 AM
From what I've seen of your posts, you sure know your way around a shop. For that size flag, I think a bracket like that will do. I'd use 1/8" thick by 1" wide flat stock for rigidity. I made a bracket for holding a much larger flag. It mounts on to the Vic luggage rack. No pictures yet, but if anyone is interested, I'll get the old Kodak out and send some.

RICZ, I am not planning on getting a luggage rack, so if I want a flag I have to find another way of mounting it. As soon as time permits, I will see what I can come up with for a flag mount. Thanks again for the info. thumb up

Lo-Dawg
07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/J_M_License_Plate_Mount_CB_Antenna_Kits_p/lpcba.htm

This is the one I was going to buy, using the RICZ method to mount it. However, with shipping, it puts the total at $102.34, which is more than the $92.26 for the Victory parts (including cable) from the dealer. Now, I find myself torn again.

Victory Parts:
- Pros: Stock Mount Location, cheaper
- Cons: Antenna not included, may have to re-terminate cable end, antenna angle may not be ideal/aesthetically pleasing

J&W License Plate Antenna Kit
- Pros: Made for JMCB
- Cons: Some fabrication required, more expensive

Right now I'm leaning towards the License Plate kit. It'll let me get up to operations quickly by actually using it on the license plate, and I can mess with fabricating it into the RICZ config when I have more time.

BTW: I found a good price on J&M headsets and the JMCB here:

http://www.sierra-mc.com

I have no experience with this company, but I'll let everyone know how it goes. I didn't order the antenna from them because the don't sell the J&M one, they sell their own. However, the bracket is a chrome piece, and I wanted black. :)