Anyone try the 3 inch lowering kit? [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Anyone try the 3 inch lowering kit?

Bender2010JP
09-25-2011, 09:13 PM
:confused:I saw a 3 inch lowering kit for sale for a Victory.. Anyone try this that also has pictures:confused?

kevinx
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Lots of mods gonna need to be done for that to work

MTVic
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
What bike???

I have 2-3" set at 2" for mine below. For kicks they tried 3 before delivery and said didn't leave much room between tire and frame. Do-able but ride would suffer and you should put the skid plate on. Was marginal to use skid plate at 2" not 100% necessary, but on a $22,000 investment well worth it.

kidwell03
10-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Well reading your screen name im assuming you have a jackpot. I lowered mine 3 inches, nothing really to modify other than the usual, i.e. relocate rear wiring harness attach to frame, shave lil casting off belt housing.
before after pics: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=5224&page=2

BanditSRT8
10-04-2011, 01:40 AM
1) Welcome to the forum

2) Wrong forum. This is for the bike of the month contest

3) If you lower 3" I sincerely hope you live in an area of the country like Florida where all the roads are flat and straight. VERY straight. Because you ain't turning that bike. Even long sweepers like freeway onramps, you'll be doing half the speed that you should be.

You're also upsetting the suspension geometry. Engineers who study for years designed your suspension for your bike to operate safely, at speed, during turns. You go as far as 3" lower and the entire configuration is out of whack for the bike and this can cause problems if you're really a rider. If you pose at Starbucks, trailer your bike to Bike Week, or only bar hop... you'll be ok, but if you actually ride, 3" is absurd.

It looks cool, but it isn't the best mod you can do in my humble opinion.

kidwell03
10-04-2011, 08:14 AM
1) Welcome to the forum

2) Wrong forum. This is for the bike of the month contest

3) If you lower 3" I sincerely hope you live in an area of the country like Florida where all the roads are flat and straight. VERY straight. Because you ain't turning that bike. Even long sweepers like freeway onramps, you'll be doing half the speed that you should be.

You're also upsetting the suspension geometry. Engineers who study for years designed your suspension for your bike to operate safely, at speed, during turns. You go as far as 3" lower and the entire configuration is out of whack for the bike and this can cause problems if you're really a rider. If you pose at Starbucks, trailer your bike to Bike Week, or only bar hop... you'll be ok, but if you actually ride, 3" is absurd.

It looks cool, but it isn't the best mod you can do in my humble opinion.

Spat on, on statement 2 & 3. Your last paragraph not so much. I'm lowered 3", I've NEVER posed at hippy ass starbucks, never trailered my bike anywhere, bar hop HELL YEAH! I also ride back and forth to work each morning, down to Austin the weekends, and lets not mention the club rides I do as well. Maybe my ass and back are made of iron maybe I have buns of steel but the ride is not bad, its still the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

You do suffer when leaning in to turns, that's common sense but remember your not riding a crotch rocket so don't try and drag the knee. Use common sense when riding and you should be fine

CountryJack
12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
I would like to know if this will work on the jackpot. My wife has a 2010 JP with a 1 in lowering kit and she is still tiptoeing

VRat
12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
For what it's worth, I lowered my 07 JP I think it was 2". It was the best looking mod I did and the worst mod I did impacting the ride and performance of the bike. The ride becomes way to harsh for me (Preload)and I bottomed out all the time turning. If I had kept the bike it was going back stock with a Penske shock.

CountryJack
12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
My wife is only 115 lbs and doesn't get very low in turns so scraping won't b a problem

seattlerob
12-06-2011, 06:27 PM
@CountryJack: for your wife's Jackpot so may want to look into getting the seat custom fitted, assuming she is still using the OEM seat. She should be able to get her feet closer to the ground by having the seat reshaped...not necessarily just shaving the padding down to lower the seat height, but by shaving the areas on the left & right side where her thighs make contact. The OEM seat it pretty thick in those areas...

I had my seat custom fitted, and although I didn't have any problem reaching the ground or pegs, I did notice that after my seat was done my feet were closer to the ground.

Just a thought anyways...

seattlerob
12-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Here are before & after pics of my Jackpot's seat to give you an idea of what I mean:

before:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/robert_lou/Jackpot/e42afdb2.jpg

after:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/robert_lou/Jackpot/065ed808.jpg

CountryJack
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the pics, I didn't mention that she already had 3/4 in shaved off from previous owner. I had no idea you can take out that much foam. I think it would really help if I take some off the sides like yours. How much did this cost?

jspen
02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I would like to have the air suspension system. I believe I saw in the kewlmetal website. Complete kit, totally adjustable ride, includes remote, very cool.

TrashmanNYC
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I would like to have the air suspension system. I believe I saw in the kewlmetal website. Complete kit, totally adjustable ride, includes remote, very cool.

If it ever gets off back order. I've been waiting since October.

Whitie
02-24-2012, 06:39 PM
I have the Heavy Metal Designz 2" - 3" lowering kit on mine, and the bike needed NO mods to install, unlike prev. posts state. Mine is set @ 3" in my pics. The switch from 2" to 3" is only about a 5 min. job, too! They also make/sell an air ride system. Both are at hmd520.com. Here's the air ride: http://youtu.be/5aBWpgz6mXk See my pics here: http://www.victoryforums.com/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1254

BanditSRT8
02-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Good recent posts. Always, always, ALWAYS look at shaving the seat before screwing with your suspension geometry. Not only the obvious (shaving off the top) but shaving down the sides allowing your thighs to drop more, and giving you more legroom.

Replacing the existing foam with better foam will give you better support and more comfort, so don't think of it as losing cushion when you shave.

Will lowering 3" kill you? No, but that curve that you SHOULD be able to take at 50mph will now require you to ride like a girl, pissing off EVERYONE behind you as you slow it down to maybe 35mph. And yeah... if you come in too hot for the new suspension (which would have been fine with the stock suspension) and you run outta room... it could kill you.

Again, if you tend to parade instead of really ride, then lower all ya want, it won't change much for you. My 250 rear is shaved down to the last .03" on each side because I like to turn my bike, so lowering simply isn't an option. Those with an inch or more on each side... it really doesn't matter much what you do.... :rolleyes:

CountryJack
02-24-2012, 10:45 PM
I have the Heavy Metal Designz 2" - 3" lowering kit on mine, and the bike needed NO mods to install, unlike prev. posts state. Mine is set @ 3" in my pics. The switch from 2" to 3" is only about a 5 min. job, too! They also make/sell an air ride system. Both are at hmd520.com. Here's the air ride: http://youtu.be/5aBWpgz6mXk See my pics here: http://www.victoryforums.com/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1254

Thanks but I'm looking to modify my wife's jackpot, my cross country is on sale at the moment but if it doesn't sell where can I find those apes

vegas05
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I have a 3" drop on my bike and have no problems at all. Take corners at 50 mph all day long. Would love to go lower if I could, ride is a little more harsh but I must have a iron butt. I think the bike is more stable, lowers the center of gravity. I would never put it back to stock.

BFT
08-04-2012, 11:14 PM
i dropped my hammer with the 3 inch links...obv redid the wiring, had some grinding to do, started dragging everything and bottoming out....tightened up the pre load on my shock, probably about 2.25" drop now, but no problems anymore, i love it