Exhaust sound level ? [Archive] - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

: Exhaust sound level ?

Johnwesley
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
I am looking for a good performance exhaust but need a reasonable sound level. Stock is too quite and the big honkers resonate a low frequency in my helmet that is anoying after a few miles. It seems louder on the bike then it is following the bike.

Any recommendations?

Thought about thunder sticks since they stick out further it may project the sound behind the bike more. Plus they sound nice

v-rodder
10-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Well Nascar6 and D&D pipes are good choices. Of course you can always try another helmet if you like the Honkers. According to LLoyds website the Honkers give the highest consistant power of any muffler he's tested.

V-rodder

VisionComfort
10-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Finding the right exhaust sound for your liking can be a hard and expensive. I just installed Victory performance stage 1 sound level 2 slip-on and I'm happy with them. Last weekend I road 950 miles and the exhaust sound didn't bother me at all. A little louder pipes might be nice around town but I don't think they would be good on long trips.
On the attached picture the new pipe is on the right. The Victory pipes came as a kit including K&N style air filter, slip-on pipes and a computer re-map card (dealer has to do re-map, cost me $42.50). With these pipes you do not use the stock chrome covers or tips, they are strait pipes that can be repacked. I now get a slight poping sound an acceleration around 2th and 3th shifting and from what I'm reading thats normal because the factory re-maps are lean due to smog laws. I order a fuel control unit that I'm going to try to fix this problem and more power is always nice.

GOOT-Z
11-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I just had the 2:1 Victory Stage 1 installed on my Hammer S and all I can say is I'm saving a lot more lives with these pipes than the stock set. In fact, I can be rather embarrassed by them around town, and these are supposed to be the most power-enhancing and relatively modest in noise output of the lot... I am really having second thoughts.

I wanted a deeper smooth note (like my old Guzzi had); instead I got a lot more "blatt" that makes it sound like a Star or other wanna-be HD with loud pipes.

I'll let you know how the old bumper sticker "Loud Pipes Save Lives" works out. But I strongly suggest you hear them in person first. :(

Johnwesley
11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Finding the right exhaust sound for your liking can be a hard and expensive. I just installed Victory performance stage 1 sound level 2 slip-on and I'm happy with them. Last weekend I road 950 miles and the exhaust sound didn't bother me at all. A little louder pipes might be nice around town but I don't think they would be good on long trips.
On the attached picture the new pipe is on the right. The Victory pipes came as a kit including K&N style air filter, slip-on pipes and a computer re-map card (dealer has to do re-map, cost me $42.50). With these pipes you do not use the stock chrome covers or tips, they are strait pipes that can be repacked. I now get a slight poping sound an acceleration around 2th and 3th shifting and from what I'm reading thats normal because the factory re-maps are lean due to smog laws. I order a fuel control unit that I'm going to try to fix this problem and more power is always nice.

thats good to know. I'm holding off on ordering them till I have the bike broke in. I was going to get them when I picked up the bike but decided I needed more time to get use to the vision before making those mods.

Banjo
12-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I just installed S1L2 pipes....I was surprised how quiet they are. Before I installed them, I roughed up the inside ends and painted them hi temp black to look like the stock ends.I dont know if my home scale is correct but the new pipes are each 2 pounds lighter then stock saving a total of 4 pounds weight.Due to the fact these pipes were discontinued they can be bought cheap...great price and good looks win, win...I can hear my radio fine with these pipes and they aren't annoying..been there done that.

visionjohnny
12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I have the S1 and they were what I would call quiet but louder then stock. I wanted more so I pulled the black caps out of the chrome end cap and they really cam a live. I can go threw town and no one really even looks at me when I pass a car or truck they bark very nice according to the harley guys I leave be hind.

Aussie Jack
12-25-2011, 05:36 AM
I had big ness honkers for about two weeks and they were too loud for me so I went to S1L2. The honkers were relentless, great for blasting above 3,000 RPM, but they had a driving blat noise at cruising speed. They made nearly all the gearbox whines undetectable.
The S1L2 have a big vee motor rumble at cruising speed and a bit of a bark under acceleration. I am happy with them and will not be changing them.
I believe L2 are quieter than L1 and I know honkers are louder than both L! and L2.
I would like to know which are supposed to give the best power and economy. I suspect the honkers would allow the engine to breathe the most, but some motors like a bit of back pressure.

Spiderman
12-26-2011, 08:55 AM
i have the D&D's and they sound great....nice rumble and make great sound when you twist the throttle. Similar to the S1's but a bit louder.

good luck with you decision...it's a personal one for sure. thumb up

Johnwesley
12-28-2011, 07:09 PM
thanks for all the help. I decided to go with the thunder cones. I love the sound and it is on the loud side. I find myself riding with out the radio just to listen to the bike thumb up

Here is a sound clip of the exhaust from the drivers seat

http://youtu.be/7M3ZviWT8Tg

and hear are some pics with out the heat shields and then with.

no heat shields
http://johnwesley.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Victory-Vision/i-RHRQmq3/0/L/smugshot6106033-L.jpg

with heat shields
http://johnwesley.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Victory-Vision/i-6TwxTfk/0/L/IMG4217-L.jpg

I kind of like it better with out the heat shields, but do not like how the heat shields just end at the tip over and it looks unfinished there. I wish there was a way to form a heat shield to taper down to the thunder cone.

vindex1963
12-28-2011, 08:06 PM
That sounds really good!!!

Johnwesley
01-15-2012, 02:58 PM
I have the dyno in and it 95 hp and 115 tq. Nice broad tq curve, I'm pleased with the results

Johnwesley
01-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Here is the dyno chart

http://johnwesley.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Victory-Vision/i-qtNskt4/1/L/smugshot8707977-L.jpg