Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Riding to work

6K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  rainman123 
#1 ·
Been riding to work all this new year and had not seen a single bike until coming home Saturday after noon seen 3 and that's all I have seen out so far this year

#2 ·
I would love to be able to ride my bike to work but I work out of my company truck and keep it at my house. There is a guy I pass going to work every day for the last 5 years who rides what I believe is a HD with no windshield, even when it is 20 some degrees outside! The windshield will come off my XR in the summertime but for cold weather and/or week long trips the shield is staying on. Got some vinyl closeouts from Santa and some heated grips to put on when I get a chance to put on to make my weekend rides in the cold a little more comfortable.

#4 ·
U will enjoy the closeout they make a big difference around ur feet and ankle and the Vic heated grips r great I ride bout 53 miles one way to work

#3 ·
Business as usual - riding to work everyday unless it rains. Today's forecast: 0% chance of precipitation.

67°F right now, but in the morning and evening when I ride to and from work, it's high 40's or low 50's. I am not complaining! :D

#8 ·
You're a polar bear! Ride safe and stay warm. cheers

#10 ·
Ride to work every day and temps have been from 28-40 in the morning. No heated gear. See a few bikes now and then. This morning it was 37 and saw two scooters out. One fool was wearing basketball shorts and a t- shirt.
On a side not, on Dec. 9, 10 and 11, I made a road trip from Las Vegas to Savannah, Georgia to deliver a car to my son and the entire time on the road I saw one sport bike in El Paso and a Goldwing Trike somewhere in Louisiana. Not much winter riding going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Work daily and other short rides I can find. Did knock out 500+ up to norhtern VA for some site visits in the spring with temps staying low mid 30's most of the day.

Finally getting down to steady low 30's and high 20's around the house now. Heated grips/seats with chaps/gortex at the ready riding in anything that is 40% rain or less. I usually wonOnly riding I missed was during my CB install which will be in another post. Really enjoying the Vision this year over the TC last year when it comes to cold and rain!!!! :D

#14 ·
was that you going down i75 at the loudon exit headed towards chatt. yesterday just after dark? i was coming home and a vic passed me as i got off the exit, around 6.30 -7.00.

#17 ·
It might have I work on the henly street bridge in Knox if it was a black xr with me having the rebel leather jacket that was me I didn't see no other bikes last night on the way home

#15 ·
Still riding to work every day, since 1977. It's too far to walk. Snow is rare here. Morning temps are usually right around freezing, so far this year. That's pretty warm for January. My XCT has heated grips and seats. I also have heated gloves and jacket liner, but this morning those were not needed (about 45 degrees).

#16 ·
We are up to 55 today. I've become a wimp in regards to my heated gear. Anything under 50 and it is with me. Even in the 40s I will cycle it on and off for a little comfort boost. Of course since we ride Harleys, I need to find an A/C unit for temps above 80 so I don't melt while I'm riding.

#20 ·
you'll be lucky to be around for long if you're riding in to downtown knox and back every day. i had to go up to cherry st. and the interstate through town is a big cluster*uck. going up wasn't too bad except for the standard go 70 then stop, go 70 again crap, but coming back it was completely stopped. i got off at alcoa hwy onto sutherland, then to middlebrook all the way to west knox before i got back on the interstate.

#21 ·
I lived in Straw Plains for 8 years and drove to west Ktown for work every day. No way I would drive a motorcycle through that mess everyday!

#23 ·
I don't know how you city folk can stand it. I hate traffic. Of course, I have to watch out for the deer...

#25 ·
i'm a big old pu double s anymore when it comes to riding in the cold. course i'm heading towards 58 now, as i get older i just don't ride unless its at least 50 much anymore. i absolutely HATE riding interstate anymore too, never did like interstate though even when i was younger and traffic wasn't so crazy .

#26 ·
Yea I know what u mean bout interstate but don't have much choice when going to work
Don't have much off time so I ride when I can
When I do ride for fun don't usually ride interstate take back roads

#30 ·
Gonna be a great day to ride in East TN rainman, that is if you can beat the storms they are giving this evening. I'm heading over 421 to Boone and then take the twisties back up into VA and then back home.

#32 ·
We've been real lucky the last couple years. I can't remember the last time I was able to commute on the bike for 23 consecutive months...at least one day in the month. It'll easily be 33 months by next Nov.

I can always find an afternoon to joyride... but early rise/late return 100mile commute is a different animal.

In year's past, it'd be far too cold for an 8 week stretch or so in Dec-Jan. Never getting above freezing type cold. Generally, a chance to commute between thanksgiving and valentine's is questionable, but that's not been the case recently.

I didn't put stabilizer in my fuel until the week before christmas. It was nice enough to commute 2 days this week, so I was able to run out that entire tank of gas and freshen it up - couldn't be more pleased.

Remember, it doesn't need to be below freezing for those bridges to get foul. We had a bad day for that earlier this winter and a TON of people went off the road. I ended up turning the bike around, 10 miles into my ride, when I heard the reports on the radio. Wasn't worth the risk even though it was a sweltering 35degF that morning.

Ride safe all!
cheers

#33 ·
It was like summer riding season in my neck of the woods today, probably passed a hundred motorcycles today. Kind of weird being humid in January in east TN. Had my soft lowers on and had to pull over and take them off it was so warm today!

#35 ·
tnxr glad u had a good ride today i stiil didnt see any bikes on my way home this evening but it sure was nice riding in a t shirt and jeans not having to have any winter gear on wish all winter was like today with just a little more sunshine tho

#36 ·
i rode down to chatt. yesterday to the o reily's car show. the guys that got up the ride said the girl from pickers would be there but she wasn't, just fonzie, and spongebob squarepants and some guy from some disney show i never heard of. the ride down it drizzled most of the way but coming back was nice. word of caution, if you ever park at the chatt. convention garage, when you leave you can only pay with a credit card. there is no live person. and the stupid gate will open and close before you can put you're card back in a pocket and get through it. we got one rider behind getting through the gate, i was last and the guy before me didn't make it through. i swiped the card and dropped into gear with the card in my hand and we both went through at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.