Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

how to fill the gap: aftermarket slip on pipes

11K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Gordstrom 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have the Adam bomb slip on pipes and they leave a gap between the end of the pipe and the exhaust tip. I am sure this is the case with the other slip on aftermarket pipes.

Has anyone found something to close that gap and stop the exhaust from getting through there and onto the saddle bags?

Thanks
John

#2 ·
Not supposed to leave a gap, never mind leak exhaust fumes! No gap on my D&D's, and no leak either. Did you install them yourself?

#3 ·
Yes, I installed them. The gap is between the end of the pipe where they had been cut off and re-cored, and the beginning of the exhaust tip. I cant see how there could not be a gap since the exhaust tip is bolted into a flange on the end of the pipe. The gap is there on stock pipes it just doesn't have exhaust coming through it because the stock pipes have the long end on them that protrudes out of the exhaust tips.

Hope that makes sense.
John

#4 ·
Ahh, I misunderstood. I thought you had a gap between the exhaust pipes and mufflers themselves. I don't have a solution for you (my pipes don't even have tips), but hopefully someone else chimes in shortly. thumb up

#6 ·
The D&Ds are one piece - they look like this:

Vehicle Automotive exhaust Car Exhaust system Muffler

#8 ·
There were others who either did the Atom Bombs or the home made work and ran into this problem previously so I KNOW it's out on this forum somewhere. Try running a search on this forum for it

#9 ·
i made my own thrush conversion. o reileys auto parts has all kinds of short tail pipe pieces. get one that fits tight over the current end and weld, bolt, screw, or split and clamp it on then cut it where you want it. i posted pictures in the home made cherry bomb muffler thread showing how i did it.

#10 ·
#11 ·
ridealittle, I just read your post (thanks Crossroads). How did you attach the tail pipe ends to the rest of the pipe? I see you were using a torch. I don't know how to weld but have a torch.

JH

#12 ·
no thats a gas mig welder, i sold my torch set a few years back from lack of use. the pipe pieces i bought fit tight inside the thrush mufflers and i stuck them in and welded around the joint. if you can find a piece that fits tight on the outside of your pipes you could split it and clamp it on. or just drilling and putting 3 or 4 screws around it would probably hold too, or any good muffler shop could weld it for you. just be sure to put the end cap on and make sure everything is even before you attach it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.