Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

High Temp Cut Out

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Tenac 
#1 ·
Greetings Ya'll,

Went to my first Lone Star Rally in Galveston TX, last night, and while parading down the Strand I noticed an excessive amount of heat from both sides of my engine.

Took about 15-20 minutes stop and go with long periods at idle before I got out. Thought it odd that this oil cooled bike would overheat. Bike would start to idle erratic and engine would cut out and I would have to restart. Happened several times and noticed the engine check light would also be on when I restarted.

Made it to nearest gas station and refueled, then could not get bike started.

Anyone know if vic bikes have an overtemp cutout circuit that shuts off the engine and wont let you start if its too hot?

Checked owner's and service manual, no info on this...

#2 ·
How hot was it outside. If there is no radiator yes your bike will get hot in parade traffic.Oil cooled motors can only be cooled with air flowing over motor. Parade riding does not get much air especial when its hot out.
Kinda like rush hour stop an go not good for motor.
Just for the heck of it check your battery cables and even have your battery tested for how much life is in it. A 08 battery is getting old

#3 ·
It think VJ is right about the battery. Not only is it old if it's the original, loose connections can cause all kinds of issues and overheating the battery, might have finished it off. I'd be checking fuses. If you can't find anything you might see if Kevin X has time to offer a suggestion.

Air flow through the oil cooler and cylinder fins are needed to keep any air cooled engine cool enough.

I was surprised at how hot mine got one time when I went stop light to stop light about as quick as I could. I just keep it down to a low roar now and it doesn't do that. It's mostly a Summer issue though. Did you guys have a hot day down there?

#4 ·
This was at night, outside temp mid 80's F. Battery is new, replaced a few months ago. Checked batt terminals and found + terminal wire loose when I pushed it, but wasn't flopping around loose, - term was on solid, did not move when pushed with finger tip.

Not sure if this caused problem.

Last nite had bike towed back to where I live, bout an hour from G-town, the bike started up with no engine check lite.

Thanks for the info...

Live free, Ride free, it's good to be free!!! thumb up

#5 ·
You have a cylinder head temperature sensor went high and shorted to the battery. This shuts down the motor. @ things can happen when you put put around for long periods of time. 1 - bearings and certain parts of the motor is not getting oil pressure 2 - excessive heat can blow gaskets like the head off the motor,. Do what you want but luck is not on your side if you do this a lot..:crzy:

#7 ·
Does it reset on its own? Does it have to be manually reset?

#8 ·
Both... there is a button in the center I believe but I do know it resets on its own. I would have to pull over allow bike to sit till it cooled down then go again. If I kept moving a highway speed seemed to never have issue but in town it was over. My temp outside was between 105 - 120 .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.