Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

New Parts and Dyno

15K views 69 replies 19 participants last post by  TN Rider 
#1 ·
So I decided I needed some new items and more power from my XR. I ordered the Freedom Performance Duals and a PCV. I did a baseline dyno run for power/tq and AF. 86hp, 103 TQ with the Stage 1 ECU, strip removed, Vic air filter and Chesapeake Cycles aftermarket slip on exhaust. They have them made by someone with a larger exhaust outlet ( 2 inch versus 1 1/2). The AF ratio was lean at idle, lean further between 2500 and 4000 and good above 4000 and between 1500 to 2500. Cruising RPM was not smooth at all so the addition of the aftermarket controller is much needed for better power and all around riding. The pipes will be here in about 2 weeks so stay tuned!

#29 ·
thumb upthumb up

I like that sound! Very throaty rumble. :D

#30 · (Edited)
Well I had the dyno run done today. Power delivery is certainly smoother and throttle response is better. Here is the rub. I gained nothing. The power commander, the Lloydz filter, the Freedom Performance pipes gained a net of .52 hp and .81 ft lbs. Now while the dyno charts show what they show, I do not agree with this. The bike runs significantly better, compared to the guys I ride with while I was faster before I now utterly run away from them. What does all this mean? I have no idea. The tuner did say to shoot for a 12.5 to 1 ratio above 40% from 3500 rpm and up.

Last thing. The bike apparently is limited in 6th gear at 4500 rpm.

#33 ·
Sixth is an overdrive. I do not know how that would work out for a true dyno reading. Also the dealer I got my bike from said the top speed on these bikes is 123mph in 5th gear. He said it will not pull the top speed in sixth gear. That maybe correct or incorrect that is what I was told.:confused:

#35 ·
I didn't expect to see any gain over the stock head pipe, and I'll bet that had the test been straight apples to apples. The results would have been lower the original. The PC, and filter being added; made up for the loss from the pipes. A good tune though can make a bike feel much better.
Speed limiting is indeed done for tire speed rating

#36 ·
With the Auto Tune pulling completely accurate AF ratio when tested what would you suggest to change on the tune? As stated earlier the tech suggested a 12.5 ratio, I currently run a 13.2 target. He only suggested changing above 40% throttle opening and above 3500 rpm.

#37 ·
i would have thought they would do the dino pulls in 5th. when you do performance upgrades you will not always make more power. sometimes you just make better power through the rpm. i bet if you look at both runs your second will make power sooner and hold it longer.

#39 ·
Here is a not very apples to apples comparision:
The Green is a STG1 XC with Atom Bombs I believe, and O2s unplugged. No fueler. Stock air filter.

The Blue is XR with the Freedom pipes, O2's plugged into the Cobra controller, Lloydz air filter.

The Stg1 bike made more low-end TQ, and fell off up top. The Freedom piped bike took a hit on low end torque, but made more power up top.

Not the best comparison, but in theory makes sense as the Freedoms are a split pipe with no collector so they would take such a hit in low-end torque.

Attachments

#41 ·
Which is exactly what I had before. I would say the Freedom pipes would not show any gains unless you do camshafts based on these numbers where the overall better exhaust flow would matter. This is all conjecture and guessing until someone does it. Which I am now looking into. Anyone want to donate? ;)

#42 ·
I called Freedom Performance today to see what they had to say and point them to this forum and thread. The customer service rep was going to talk to the engineers, she seemed very surprised by our results. I have no idea if that will change anything for us but at least it was something. Will keep everyone updated if anything changes.

#46 ·
I've always heard that a 2 into 1 or a 2-2 setup with a crossover is a better pipe then 2 individual, the cylinders help each other that way.

#51 ·
In an earlier post within this thread, and on that dyno graph, I noticed that you had not activated the Rev Xtend feature in your Power Commander. Once you do that, you will uncork another 500rpm in each gear, taking 6th over 5000rpm, and 5th to 6,000rpm. You can also use Dynojet's rev limiter form to request an even higher rev limit. This is a free, built in feature of the PC-V, that is easily activated in the software. Just hook your computer up, and go to the options section. Check the box.

#52 ·
The rev extend is active in the PCV. They cut off at 5500 as the cams are new and just to be safe. Power might gain a couple more hp but honestly I won't be in the 6k range much. The dual exhaust is the main issue with the power numbers. Moved the torque higher in the rev range and cost some hp. I am happy with how the bike runs at this point but I would not install this exhaust again to increase power.

#53 ·
The true duals gave you the look and the sound. The power is relative to what you experience and feel and not necessarily numbers. At least you have shown that the factory headers are pretty good as everyone has said right along.
You're happy with the looks and sound and the cams gave you what you wanted all along so, if it's good for you..it's good.

#56 · (Edited)
I feel like I am leaving easy HP on the table and that bugs me.
I was feeling that way with my first set of pipes... and my second... then the third set dragged on the ground and sounded trashy as hell... Now, I'm pretty happy with the fourth set.

You are right where I was. Your bike is not many models years old and there are not really any side-by-side comparisons of exhausts. Yeah, you'll get lots of advice, but actual data is hard to come by.

It's not like HD where you have 60 exhausts to choose and years of data either... and the difference in performance between the worst pipe and the best pipe on a Victory is HUGE.

My friend has a 104"... with Shotgun pipes it made 104 HP, with RPW Slash (SlashNess) pipes it made 114 HP, and with the RPW Thor it makes 118 HP. Just pipe changes and re-tuning, no other changes. Just looking at that... we realize how important the hard-to-come-by data can be...

#70 ·
I recommend the Centerfire exhaust from Rollin' Fast if you really want to squeeze out a few more horsepower. I got 90HP and 108lb-ft and all I did in addition to the exhaust was Stage 1 Flash and the Victory High Flow Air Filter. When Kyle did my dyno, he said that mine was only the 2nd XC he had seen making 90HP with just exhaust, filter, and reflash.

Did you keep the stock exhaust? The Centerfire is priced on exchanging the stock mufflers.

http://www.rollinfast.com/Rollin-Fast-Cycle-Sports-Centerfire-Exhaust-CCCR---105db-detail.htm?productId=-217858

#55 ·
If you're interested in performance and better numbers then those true duals have to go. Another pipe that looks and sounds good but doesn't perform as well, is the Bassani 2 into 1.
Rpw, any of the "gutted" stock exhausts and Big Honkers all make some pretty good power but all sound slightly different from each other. Probably the best power producer is the D&D.
New exhausts. Dyno tune and PC-5 rev extend is your next best bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.