Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Why is the dagblastit gear changes so noisey?

11K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  8BallHammer 
#1 ·
I want to take off the transmission cover and find the monkey with the ballpein hammer! Are victory transmission that much nosier than a Hardely? Any thing can be done? Good lawd.

#2 ·
Mine got better after the first service at 500 miles. It got better again when I had a need to change the oil (don't ask) about a hundred miles later and I switched over to Amsoil. It seems to soften up over time and now with 1600 on the bike it's not near as bad as it was in the beginning.

#4 ·
Hardly motorcycles have had their share of noise issues with their trans... they however can be quieted down considerably by using gear lube... a choice that the Victories do not have.

Victory trans are especially noisy when they are being shifted at to low rpm's... they are designed to be shifted and run at higher rpm's... try it out. They can't be lugged out at low rpm's... the monkey gets angry.

#6 ·
I don't know which oil works the creamiest in the Vic., But I would think a good 20W50 semi-synthetic or a conventional oil would provide the most cushion. I however tried royal purple in mine after the 500 mi break-in and shifting has improved quit a bit.

#7 ·
Run it up around 3500 and then shift. Its a huge difference if your short shifting and lugging it they are really noisey. 1st to 2nd on mine is fine when i shift below 3500 but after that its much smoother in the 3000-3500 range. Also im running amsoil and seems to help alot. Also make sure your clutch is adjusted right and has the freeplay it needs or once it heats up the cable can be tight enough to cause rough shifting as well.

#8 ·
Sort of like the trans from the muscle cars. I had a 67 Camaro SS with a Rock Crusher trans in it. Now that was a noise maker. Shift it like it was meant to be ridden and no worries.

#38 ·
Wish I could testify to this last forever comment!! My 2007 jackpot with 7000k at the dealer right now because it won't shift into second!! They are talking having to take the whole damn engine out to get to the trans, shifting fork. over $1,000.00 for repair. I'm disgusted with Victory!!! I'm thinking fix the piece of **** and sale it!! Very disappointed!!! all I was told is how tough and dependable Victory was!!! can't prove it by me at this point.
Nothing is 100%, Nothing. I feel your pain.

#10 ·
I am running amsoil and I agree with the higher RPM shifting. It is very quiet once you get going. But low speed you get a nice audible "Clack". I engauge at a red light and look around to see if anyone is looking at me.:ltr:
I just have to get used to it.

#12 · (Edited)
If you are talking about firs gear ingagement hardleys are much louder. Couple of friends of mine took their bike in for the noise and the service said its normal and another friend of mine with a 2011 wide glide can not find his neutral. He's been to the service a million times and they can't fix it.

#36 ·
Naw, their thinking "what is that, a Yamaha?":confused:

#15 ·
In addition to shifting at higher RPMs, preload the shift lever. That will give you smoother and quieter shifts. That's been working for me for decades.

#17 ·
If it's first your speaking of, that solid clunk, your looking at this all wrong bro! That is the sound of the HORSE breaking at the gate to run the race. Nothing to be ashamed of... I hit first with a solid thunk, smile, and let'er rip!

Well unless I am coming home from work making the turn into my court.. The neighbors are still smiling but they know when I crack it.. lol..

I'm the same way with regards to the higher RPMS, good for my 04 as well, 3k ish...

Hope this puts you at ease! Also, if you ride over 500 miles a week it's quiter too.. :D

#21 ·
I am getting use to the CLUNK sound knowing it IS in gear. That HARLEY was hard to find neutral and hard to hit the right gear down shifting. Seems like you had to down shift each gear or it would bind. I am getting use to this tranny knowing what gear it is in.:crzy:

#22 ·
I don't mind the noise either, and I have a 2010 which is noisier than the later ones. To those grousing about their tannys, I say, you are not the big inch V-twin type, as hurky trannys usually comes with that package. One should be wearing earplugs, anyway, or suffer the consequences later in life - but not much later. My daughter owns a hearing clinic and tells me her clients are getting younger. No need to tell you all why that is.

#26 ·
I don't mind the noise of it so much, but my daym shifter is sloppy loose. I tried to tighten the bolt, but it's as tight as it'll get and the "slop" seems to be from the ball joints on both ends of the shifter rod.

#31 ·
Turn up the radio..... Monkey Like Music...... Noise softens

#32 ·
people are talking aout pre-loading the shifter. i shift the same way as i did all my last harleys. the same principle as pre loading but much easier. when you shift as soon as you start moving the clutch start shifting. otherwords not clutch, shift. but clutchshift. with the clutching just barely ahead of the shifting, i can shift my 11 xr just as fast and easy as any harley ive ever ridden like that. now the clunk between on and off throttle?????

#33 ·
Every motorcycle on the planet has a LOUD 1st gear clunk. All of them. Never rode a sinle bike yet that didn't. Some are just more noticeable than others.

My '12 Road Glide shifts as loud as my Vic did, in all gears, just the same.

I wouldn't want a silent shift. Ever screw up and THINK you nailed a gear, only to realize when you release the clutch and gun the throttle that you actually missed it (or Mandes in neutral instead of second gear).

Since I don't want tinnitus later in life, I ride with earplugs in if I'm riding on the highway. I like that I can still easily hear the thunk of every hear change.

#34 ·
As an aside, when I am upshifting, the only time I use my clutch is when I'm going from 1st to 2nd gear. Modern transmissions are built to shift without the clutch, so unless you're preloading the shifter too long/hard before doing a clutchless upshifting, you're not doing it any harm.

Clutches are for girls :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.