Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Leather jacket cleaning

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  SteveYacht 
#1 ·
What is the best way to clean your leather jacket?Should you use any type of conditioner on it?

#3 ·
I use the same leather conditioner I use on car seats.

#4 ·
Leather is animal skin. It has pores and they get dirty, the leather will also dry out and eventually crack.

My (late) father used to make high end leather products by hand....... Wallets, belts, purses, bowling bags, saddles, etc. He taught me to use saddle soap, gently using an old towel or wash cloth, and in some cases a very soft, natural bristle brush. Wiping it clean and dry with another terry cloth towel..... all cotton.

To treat the leather and but some moisture back in, we used Lexol or a like product that contains lanolin......Just read the directions. Lexol also makes a cleaning product that works pretty damned well.

I use this same method on leather interiors, chaps, furniture, fine shoes (then shoe polish) and any high quality leather products.

What ever you do NEVER, EVER use Armor All or any other like product on any leather. THey are all petroleum based products with some degree of silicone. These will only server to dry up the hide and ruin it. Mink oil will make some leather water resistant, but it will also attack cotton threads........... have a pair of deerskin gloves that are coming apart because of this.

Good luck

#5 ·
old leather jackets

I have two leather jackets (Brooks). One was my Dad's from before I was born. He gave it to me about 30 years ago. It's about 50 years old. The other I got in college. It's about 25 years old.

If they get dirty, like lots of bug guts, I wipe them off with a slightly damp cloth and let them dry hanging in my closet. I use mink oil (in a paste like consistency) on them, but only about once per year or so. The oil soaks right in. I hang them to dry in the closet.

I have considered trying something different, but with 50 years without any issues, why change.

#10 ·
I have two leather jackets (Brooks). One was my Dad's from before I was born. He gave it to me about 30 years ago. It's about 50 years old. The other I got in college. It's about 25 years old.

If they get dirty, like lots of bug guts, I wipe them off with a slightly damp cloth and let them dry hanging in my closet. I use mink oil (in a paste like consistency) on them, but only about once per year or so. The oil soaks right in. I hang them to dry in the closet.

I have considered trying something different, but with 50 years without any issues, why change.
DITTO hear.I still have my old Brooks jacket (gf wears it at times)]
A good jacket dont need "cleaning" wipe off bug juice seal it wear it.
The older and stained and cracked they get the better they are.thumb up

#9 ·
Lexol. THat stuff ROCKS!

#13 · (Edited)
Saddle soap is a great cleaner, but leather needs to be treated with something after it is cleaned..... I prefer treatments that have Lanolin in them. I have a a couple of products that I prefer..... One is from Connely, (sp) that is the leather providers for Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, etc. Very fine product, albeit expensive.

As I previously mentioned, Lexol. Easy to find, relatively inexpensive and a very good, proven product. They also have a leather cleaner that is very good.

Dad used to use Neetsfoot oil years ago, decent product. Until better stuff came along. Not saying it is bad..... Just saying there are better products available........ sorta like Victory over HD. ;)

#14 · (Edited)
I too have been using Lexol for years. Good products that work as advertised. I was merely pointing out another option for replacing the oils that naturally evaporate out of leather that need to be replaced so cracking and drying of the leather doesn't happen sooner than it absolutely needs to. Some folks prefer the old ways because they too work and that's what they are used to.

For deer skin gloves you can just wash them is warm soapy water to remove any products and dirt from them. Let dry and apply whatever product you like to use to keep the leather supple.

I hadn't heard that mink oil is hard on the threads. That info is new to me. I'm also surprised they used cotton thread on leather. Everyone knows to use nylon thread for longer lasting and more durable stitching.

#15 ·
Bob, you are absolutely correct..... One, neetsfoot oil is a great product, Dad used it for years.... matter of fact, Tandy was his favorite suppliers. Only issue with Neetsfoot oil is that it will darken some leathers upon application. This is not desireable to some.

Yea, those OLD deerskin gloves surprised me also. Must have been very old to have cotton thread. I found them at a consignment shop in either Vermont or Upstate NY back in the late 80's. Still had hang tag on them from a glove factory in Troy, NY..... close to Gloversville.... called it that for a reason! Must have been older than I thought..... No velcro, only high quality snaps...... Seams outside, great fit and soft as butter. Should have had some idea though, since those old Glove factories have been gone for a very long time.

cheers

#17 ·
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lexol

:D

Steve; I think Neatsfoot oil is used more in the saddlery business, especially where lots of saddles are kept and used, because they not only have they just been doing it that way for 100 years but also because it's less expensive and available in bulk sizes.

You are also correct in that it will darken light colored leather and sometimes that is what the person wants but for black leather; it should be no problem at all. Lexol has certainly proved itself to me over the years I've been using it. can't say for sure what product is best but I think we can agree that either product will do the job.

The best time to apply the conditioner is during the Summer when we can put the leathers out in a garage or shed to warm up a bit; say to 90+ degrees. Then apply the conditioner when the leather is warm because, like you said, the leather has pores so this opens the pores so the conditioner can soak in better. Another alternative is to put the leathers in the oven on the lowest setting to warm them up.

One thing a lot of people do wrong with any type of leather conditioner is to apply too much at one time. It really needs to be applied in light coats until the person determines the leather has absorbed about as much as it needs.

Some good info on Lexol:

Lexol Leather Conditioner

Information

Lexol Conditioner is a liquid conditioner and preservative intended for use in the care and conservation of leather. It works to preserve and maintain the strength, beauty and flexibility of leather -- old and new -- and to help restore resiliency to old or neglected leather that has become hardened and stiff.
Product Characteristics:

• Lexol Conditioner is an emulsion much like those used in leather tanning so it puts back the essential oils to nourish and protect leather.
  • It is concentrated, so it cleans effectively with a considerably smaller quantity of product.
  • The modified oils in Lexol Conditioner are retained in the area of application to protect against migration, or seepage, into adjacent materials or surfaces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.