Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

2003 Vegas - power commander questions

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  so-crates 
#1 ·
Hey folks. Thanks for reading my post...

I am the proud new owner of a used 2003 Victory Vegas. I love the thing - except for the fact that it runs like crap when trying to hold a steady rate of speed, with it popping and backfiring all over the place...

I bought the bike used with 14K on it. It has the Ness Big Sucker K&N air filter kit, and straight pipes. But, it doesnt have a POwer Commander on it...and I know this is the problem... So now for my questions:

I have done some research, and I am aware that the part number for teh Power Commander is 909-411. I am wondering if anyone has ever attempted to use a PCIII from the same year's V92C model?? It has a similar part number - 904-411. I was wondering if I would be able to use that one (as I can find it far cheaper than the Vegas specific model...)

Ive also heard mentioned on this site a company called LLoyd's and their fuel controllers. Are they easy to use plug&play like Dynojet PCIII is??

Last question - lets say I go with a PCIII - does anyone have a map they can share with me for the K&N and straight pipes?? Because I didnt find one on the Dynojet site...

Any assistance is appreciated! cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Uh, bumpski?? ANYONE??

I am also wondering about the Ness Big Shot fuel tuners. Are they as easy to use as the Power Commander is?? Do they have maps already set up on the website. etc??

Anyone?!?!?!

#3 ·
Before you rip the Power Commander out, let's try to eliminate the most obvious suspect for your symptom. When was the last time you've cleaned the throttle bodies?

#5 ·
Mr. Crossroads - while I greatly appreciate your response, I thought I had already found the most obvious source of my problem - there IS NO POWER COMMANDER on it!

My original post was asking if the PCIII from a V92C will fit - it is part number 904-411, whereas the PCIII for a Vegas is 909-411 - I am wondering if it will work or not...Im thinking the wiring harness is probably too short.

My second post was asking about the Ness Big Shot controlers, wondering if they are as easy to use as the PCIII, which I have experience with... they are a llittle cheaper, so I was considering one of those instead of the PCIII.

Im down with cleaning the throttle bodies too though - where would I find them? Im guessing its remove the tank and the airbox and finding them under that??

Thank you again.

#6 ·
Mr. Crossroads - while I greatly appreciate your response, I thought I had already found the most obvious source of my problem - there IS NO POWER COMMANDER on it!
My bad - I must have misread your post.

Im down with cleaning the throttle bodies too though - where would I find them? Im guessing its remove the tank and the airbox and finding them under that??
That's right. Take a peak in the service manual too if need be (see this thread to download yours). I would clean them before doing any adjustments, additions, etc. ;)

#8 · (Edited)
Hi So-Crates,

If u want some advice ( IMO ) then dont waste your money as they are really for modified engines ( Cams etc )

You would be better off going to a dyno and adjusting your throttle response, adjusting the A/F ratio to 13.8.1 - 14.0.1 and moving your Tourque to 1800 - 4500.

$200 - $300 ( Someone who knows what they are doing... 2- 2 1/2 hrs on the tune ).

I think you will be very happy with that.

Cheers
AL

#9 ·
Well, I spent $177.47 on the Wiseco fuel tuner and installed it this weekend. Very simple to install - take off the tank, remove the rear cylinder FI harness, plug in new harness and plug old harness into new one. Same on front cylinder, only instead of directly onto the injector, it hooks up to a pigtail connector and leads to the injector. Plug in, attach to negative terminal on the battery, velcro to inside of side cover and I was done - less than one hour to take off the tank, install and replace the tank. Bike ran really good - seems to have cured the surging and stumbling at constant throttle, and doesnt sound quite as grumbly when letting off the gas. Has a little hiccup when going full throttle - just needs another small adjustment... Will do it next time I ride it!

If anyone is experiencing similar problems, do NOT pay $299+ for a fuel tuner. I got mine off Amazon shipped for $177!

#10 ·
These guys are already giving you good advice. I agree with most of them. You should not need a controller.Most probably, either your throttle-bodies are dirty, you have cracked throttle-body adapters, TPS not set right, Map isn't right, vacuum leak, or a variation of a couple things. Putting a controller on before making sure everything else is right can just mask a problem temporarily.
I know on my Kingpin, I have to clean the throttle-bodies every 7-8,000 miles.

#11 ·
But, it doesnt have a POwer Commander on it...and I know this is the problem... So now for my questions:
There you go. The gentleman defined his solution and then followed up with questions that led him to buy... wait for it... a fuel controller.

Quelle surprise!

Really, why doesn't Santa just give them to all the good boys and girls? The internet would be half its size if all of us already had EFI management. We wouldn't have time for all this jibber jabber. We would be out riding our wikid powerful iron horses to daily dyno tuning orgies and all would be right with the world.

Anyway, I agree with and respect Mr. So-Crates sentiment. I consider it a win when I diagnose the problem, determine the fix right or wrong and then save myself a buck and change buying something that I have convinced myself that I need for less than I was prepared to spend elsewhere. It doesn't have to be the right solution to the problem. If it's the wrong solution but it's a cheaper wrong solution, well, that will do.

Rule 1 (this is part of your permanent grade so taking notes is permitted and this will come up again. Check your syllabus): My soap, my shower, my trouser snake. I'll wash it however I want to.

#12 ·
Why do I get the feeling that you are being snide??

I bought the bike used from the dealership. It has straight pipes and a K&N filter on it, and was supposedly remapped. I brought it back to the dealership and they remapped it again and inspected it - still stumbing/surging when riding slow or at a constant speed. I cleaned the throttle bodies, I checked for vaccuum leaks, etc. Nothing. Yet, a fuel controller cured the issues.

And youre giving me **** for that? thumb up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.