Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

New To Victory Forum

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  HBJackson 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am buying a new 2012 Cross Country Tour. How will I ad air to the shock to adjust the ride for the weight on the bike? Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Are you asking where or what process is used for best results?

I check mine when cold along with tires weekly. Set my air compressor for 70psi to ensure no overcharge, hookup my gauged air chuck and pump it up about 5psi above my desired pressure. Then disconnect and check once with good air gauge to bring it back down. I do it this way because you loose about 3 psi each time you hit it with the air gauge. If you want to buy a air pump then something that is a zero loss bike shock pump. Cheaper than factory by about 50% (I know there were other recommendations on the site here, I just cant find it at the moment).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-Air-Sho...ltDomain_0&hash=item3f1f080ed9#ht_2556wt_1028

Hope this answers your question. Remember to set you pressure for your weight and check it regulary so you have best performance and get max tire wear!

Safe riding,
Tim

#10 ·
I do the same as you... Very good directions. Didnt know about zero loss pumps... Thanks; congrats and good luck sleeping tonight to the newbee!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
i have one of the harley pumps. it works great for the vic. pricey about 40.00 but very well made.

#4 ·
The air valve is behind the R side cover. A chart for correcting air pressure to load weight is under the R saddlebag lid. DO NOT use compressed air as you could easily damage the shock. It has a very small air capacity and fills quickly with a bicycle pump. Oh, and welcome to the site.

#5 · (Edited)
...DO NOT use compressed air as you could easily damage the shock. It has a very small air capacity and fills quickly with a bicycle pump. Oh, and welcome to the site.
Well I deffinately dont want any info I post to be misunderstood so maybe I should have expanded just to make sure no one thought I meant hook 120psi compressor to the the shock and punch it.

I adjust my regulator down line of my compressor to 70psi which has a 25' hose on it. Using a trigger controled tire inflator assembly with a pressure gauge on it as well as a bleed valve, I gently inflate to 3-5 psi above my desired pressure then double check with GOOD tire gauge. I do this evey week when checking my tires (and bike for the weeks preride)to ensure best performance of suspension and tires.

Hope this clarify's so like T-man notes, no over inflation occurs.

Safe ridin,
Tim

#6 · (Edited)
I just bought my XC and my air pump. Got the pump at Amazon (click link below)...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Shox-Shock-027-00-007/dp/B001F212OK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353523153&sr=8-1&keywords=fox+shox+pump[/ame]

Good price and good quality. As mentioned previously, stay away from compressed air as it will blow out your shock if not very careful.

#7 ·
Welcome from South Dakota. The XCT is a great bike. Hope you enjoy riding yours as much as I do mine.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome to the forum and the information/advice on the air shock. My dealer gave me an overview of the bike yesterday when I signed the papers. I'll get the full introduction tomorrow when the bike is delivered. Don't think I'll get much sleep tonight. :) Will post tomorrow after my first ride. Happy Thanksgiving.

#11 ·
Picked up my new bike today. Blue sky, no wind and 71 degrees. Perfect riding weather. Rode through the wine country of Sonoma, Napa and Solano counties. 105 miles later, made it home. I love my Victory!

#12 ·
Congrats and enjoy the new ride!

#13 ·
Off topic, but I am so jealous. I have been through Napa and Sonoma in a cage and it is beautiful. So wish I could be there on my bike. Temps down to 31 where I am and feel riding season closing like a noose. Enjoy your new ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.