Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

XR heated grips part # question

7K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Pckrfan 
#1 ·
Got some green for Christmas from family/friends to go towards my Cross Roads. I am wanting to get the heated grips but I see two model numbers on Vics website
http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Vi...meta:Models~Victory+2011+Cross+Roads+Custom+"
and
http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Vi...meta:Models~Victory+2011+Cross+Roads+Custom+"

I am thinking the first one (2877658) is the one for the XR and the other one (2875736) is for the XC but I may be wrong. Both say they will fit the XR but why would there be two model numbers. I also know I have to order the chrome switch housing seperate. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
After more web searching I am thinking that the 2875736 is for the Vision even though Vics website says it will fit all the cross bikes but I could be wrong. I'll wait and see what anyone else who has ordered them has to say.
On a side note I also put in my order for the script cheese wedge badge for the key side and lay down license plate from WD's, Vinyl highway bar closeouts and Cee Baileys saddlebag liners. Debating on one of the Ness primary cover sets as well in black.

#3 ·
I know there were two kits based on model year. Not sure where the split was, I think it was 2011 and newer. Don't forget, you'll need the switch mounting bracket kit as well. If you go to purepolaris.com and put in the year in model it should tell you exactly what you need. Then call Kate at Honda East Toledo.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#4 ·
I am in the process of installing the Victory heated Grips on my 2011 XR. The kit says on the box that it is for both the XR and the XC. I did buy the switch bracket as well. The instructions that came with this kit included the XR, XC and the Vision This seems llike a pretty easy install with the most challenging being the throttle side grip. Gotta take the switch block apart, which is a pain, but not really all that hard.

#6 ·
Do you happen to know the part # of the kit you are installing?

#8 ·
Hey TNXR...The P/N for the kit I have is 2877658....

#9 ·
Thanks guys! Putting in my order tomorrow. I also got the vinyl closeouts from Santa and just put them on. Just gotta say that these things seem to be high quality and believe it or not they are made here in the USA. Monsoon going on out there right now but hope to try them out sometime this weekend.

#10 ·
Here are some things I discovered doing this little project.
1) It's pretty easy if you can use a screwdriver
2) The chrome end caps come right off with suitable pliers
3) The left grip is the only one glued on
4)The Heated left grip in NOT glued on!
5) The instructions are adequate, but you need to make sure you are reading about your bike. In my case the XR, not the XC or Vision.
6) Read the instructions first! Get the tools you need before you dig in on this.

#11 ·
So you do not have to glue the heated grip back on the left side? What holds it in place? I am sure I'll have more questions when the grips come in.

#12 ·
The left heated grip comes with 2 self tapping Torx screws that are hidden under the ridge that butts up against the switch block. You just roll the rubber back a bit to access them. There are 2 pre-drilled holes in the handbars that these screws tap into. I assume this ensures thatthe cable for the heating element is positioned properly....

#13 ·
Finally got my grips in and have been reading over the instructions. Everything seems straight forward but I do have a question. How do you route the wire from the throttle grip. Do you run it through the black metal bracket? How do you secure the wire but still be able to turn the throttle? Looks like if you secure the wire with the included zip ties that it would get caught or bow up when you turn the throttle. Probably a stupid question but just wanted to check before I dive into this project tomorrow.

#14 ·
I took a look at a bike in the shop to see how the cable ran. The grip will only go on one way, so you just give the cable a bit of slack and tie wrap it to the cable bundle on the handlebars. I didn't bother with the replacement cable tie that came with the kit. I just used black tie wraps and attached the heat cable to the existing bundle that way. Looks just fine!

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks philmonger and thanks for the pic. I'll probably do the same thing if I can find where I last put those black zipties at! Hopefully I will not have anymore questions.

#16 ·
It is a little confusing inside the headlights ad the instructions are contributing to this confusion. I tossed them out recently, but they refer to blue and brown ( I think) wires on the main harness but they mean the heater cable harness that came with the grips! If you get really confused, I will open my light back up and take a pic for ya!

#17 ·
Open the headlght last! after the grips are on. One step at a time.

#18 ·
Got the grips on today (well most of it) and it was not as easy as I thought it would be but then again nothing ever is. Got the plastic end caps off without damage by using a piece of wood and rubber hammer. Also got the left grip off without damage by using compressed air to loosen the glue. Problems started when it came to installing the throttle grip. Took me forever to get the barrel ends in and it still didn't feel/sound right. Finally figured out that the pull cable had jumped off its track at the throttle body end and was getting caught and tangle everytime I twisted the throttle. Got all that fixed and plugged grips into all the required electrical connections and now I have warm hands. Got to tidy it all up tomorrow and hopefully go for a ride. Thanks to everybody that helped me with this. By the way, this is the first time I had ever taken the windshield off of my XR and man does it look bad *ss! Might have to run without it this summer.

#19 ·
One thing I found on my Cross bike that others may run into. From the day I first got my bike the throttle would stick closed and sort of lossen up after I turn it a few times and would also make a ratcheting sound when the throttle was turned all the way back (bike turned off of course). When I took the switch cube apart to change out for my heated grip I noticed the return cable (the one closest to the driver) had a pretty good kink in it about .5 inch from the barrel end. What would happen is when the throttle was turned all the way back it would "jump" out of the black sleeve and push against the switch cube making the ratcheting sound. I bent the cable back into shape and inspected it close for fraying and it looks OK and now is noise free. If I would have kept riding with it rubbing like that, the return cable would have frayed apart eventually. I am guessing it came from the factory like that and who ever put on the cables that day bent mine while putting it on the throttle or something.

#20 ·
I had mine put on by the dealer. I couldnt get him to budge on the price after the 2nd negotiating session so I said If you cant throw in a set of heated grips installed I'm out. And he did! They are the best I have ever had and I have tried them all!!! A+ on the factory ones. Must have some Polaris in them :ltr: thumb up

#21 ·
I rode the bike yesterday after getting the grips finished up but for the life of me I can't tell a difference between the low and high setting. Is it just me or is there not much of a temperature difference?

#23 ·
There is definitely a difference but i cant feel it for the first half hr or so... It takes a while but the high setting actually gets uncomfortable to me wearing $180 Held winter gloves... I dont know if its due to the gloves or the grips but i cant tell the diff on short rides and i usually leave them on high when just running errands... These are very nice heated grips!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#22 ·
There's definitely a difference, or at least there should be. It may depend on bare hands / light gloves / heavy gloves as to how much difference you feel. High usually becomes uncomfortable for me after awhile with light gloves on.

You probably already checked for this, but make sure that the cable loop that you left to allow for twisting the throttle does not rub on the sharp edges of the cruise control switch mounting bracket at any point in the throttle rotation. If the loop is too small or is routed incorrectly it could rub when you twist the throttle and eventually cause damage to the outer jacket.

#24 ·
on mine its night and day difference between high and low. On high you can actually almost burn your hands if you leave them on too long, and low is perfect for the long haul. I usually toggle them on and off because they work so good. And I typically the "cold hands" guy

#25 ·
I only rode the bike for a few miles on the highways near my house because of flooding and salt on the back roads. Looks like I didn't give it enough time to heat up on high.

"You probably already checked for this, but make sure that the cable loop that you left to allow for twisting the throttle does not rub on the sharp edges of the cruise control switch mounting bracket at any point in the throttle rotation. If the loop is too small or is routed incorrectly it could rub when you twist the throttle and eventually cause damage to the outer jacket."

I did make sure it is not rubbing but my loop is smaller than the othe pictures I have seen of the heated grips. I got it to just miss the cruise control bracket.

#26 ·
Well if you are concerned, you can just cut and replace a few tie wraps! I'm jealous because the high temp here in my area is gonna be 18 with a snow storm coming. Looks like late February early March for my test ride with the new grips...<sigh>

#27 ·
Coming in a bit late... But here is my experience with Vic heated grips. I had the OEM heated grips on my Kingpin and on my XR. The XR heated grips on the throttle side started to come apart and cause the throttle to stick when the heat was activated. Remember, it only has two settings, low and hi. They worked great in chilly weather, but the degrading and the negative effect that process had on throttle operation was disconcerting. It didn't happen on my Kingpin. Havingnsaidmall that, I now have Avon heated grips with 5 heat settings. I think they are superior to the OEM, particularly because of the multiple settings. I they are marginally more expensive than the OEM.

#32 ·
Avon heated handle grips

Information is good to know. After today's ride I decided to jump on the forum and see if there was discussion on this issue. Sounds like AVON would be a good place to start. I've got an '06 Jackpot but don't see any grips where fitment includes my bike. Do you know what your part # is? Thanks in advance for any assistance. thumb up

#28 ·
That don't sound good! I will definitely keep an eye on them for any problems. I was able to take off my original grips and plastic ends without damage just in case something like that happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.