Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Trailors

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DakotaRider 
#1 ·
I was reading an op-ed in a bike rag today that was discussing touring bummers. A couple of the author's complaints were specific to trailoring. At one point, he came upon a toll road that was $5 for auto. They charged him $35 due to his trailor. On another road in Oregon, a cop forbid him to make a mountain pass while towing.

Anyone else have any issues like this? First time I ever heard of such a hassle.

#2 ·
I know that from time to time, some states will check the trailers for brakes based on GWVR. I travel through Montana, Idaho and Utah in the winter sometimes towing our bikes and have never been stopped by the Staties in any of those jurisdictions. And some of the mountain passes are in excess of 8000 feet. wac

#3 ·
Oregon is so wet that a layer of ice forms under the snow on some mountain passes--it makes for the slickest roads you've ever driven. When that happens, chains or studs are required and autos towing trailers aren't allowed--the trailers often jack knife on the road and cause wrecks.

This doesn't happen too often and only on certain passes, but when it does, a guy would be a fool to try and tow a trailer...

#5 ·
All three west coast states limit you to 55mph when towing a trailer. =(
Hey Saddle, what's a "trailor?" Is that what a mens' clothing store owner tows? =)

#7 ·
Excuse me, I wrote that after dining at the fine Mexican establishment down the street. They have most refreshing beverages there. Between the refreshments and the little red squiggly line that tells me "you're an idiot" not appearing beneath the word, I made up a new word. A "trailOr" is a trailer tOwed by a mOtOrcycle or a CanAm as it were.

As to the icy roads on the hilltops, I can attest to that. We were riding in Yosemite a couple years ago and I saw a nice route on a map I thought I'd try. There was a sign talking about needing chains and I thought "for a wet road?" Oh did I regret that decision...

Now off to figure out how to get my squiggly line back.

#8 ·
Frijoles and Dos Equis, eh? Don't fan the blankets. I like my definition of trailor better - what a tailor pulls behind his bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.