Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Oil cooler line question

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  KROWBAR 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Hammer S. Have the 2012 shop manual.

According to the shop manual, the LOWER hose on the oil cooler (also the INNER hose on the left side of the engine) takes HOT oil from the engine to the oil cooler.

Also, the UPPER hose on the cooler (also the OUTER hose on the left side of the engine) takes COOL oil from the cooler and returns it to the engine.

HOWEVER, on the Victory Parts Fische the LOWER hose is described as "engine in". This seems to contradict the shop manual. To me "engine in" means from cooler to engine. While manual states engine to cooler.

UPPER hose in fische described as "engine out". Again seems to contradict manual. "Engine out" to me means from engine to cooler.

MY QUESTION: based on actual experience, which oil hose, UPPER or LOWER, takes HOT engine oil to the cooler? i.e. which source is correct: shop manual or fische? Again Freedom 106 engine.

THX

See less See more
#8 ·
Put in an oil temp sensor (tee into outside line). Wanted to know if I was getting hot oil from engine, or cooler oil from the oil cooler. I'm a little crazy about knowing how things work on my bike. Also don't get the warm fuzzies when a shop manual is wrong. What else is wrong?

#9 ·
Why not put a T in where the oil sensor goes into the motor. You'll still get temp and it will be cleaner and easier.
Keep in mind the oil lines are under pressure so if your off a littler you will have a leak.

#10 ·
Tee'ing the oil pressure orafice for an oil pressure gauge, plus better oil flow (more accurate reading) by teeing into oil line.

You are right have to watch for leaks. The "fabric covered" part of the line is thin plastic 5/16" ID pipe with a fabric cover. Wish it was rubber. I bought a spare line in case things don't work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.