Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Sounds like a cold drill motor

9K views 53 replies 9 participants last post by  lawnstriper 
#1 ·
Ok, anyone ever try to run an electric drill that is metal bodied and is ice cold. If so, you know that ugly screeching/vibration sound it makes when it is cold. Well, that sound is coming from my V92C on deceleration in this weeks 50* weather. Ever heard of this anyone?

#2 ·
Kinda sounds like a starter gear has a bad bearing.

Funny thing about Vic's is the starter gear is always engaged unlike a car or most other bikes I know of. It's basically a ratchet type thing that engages when the starter spins but just spins after the motor is started.

This why a lot, if not all, Vic's have that funny sound after turning the bike off sometimes. Not all the time; just sometimes. It's the motor turning the stater after it stops and turns backwards sometimes.

It's normal for Vic's until the bearing goes bad.

Pull the starter and check it out.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Bbob , I was hoping it wasn't the tranny that these bikes are known for . I will have that starter checked out when I get a minute. Have you ever heard an old drill do that when it is cold? Kinda weird sounding .
Didn't find anyone with tranny issues describe this sound so I am hoping it isn't that. Thanks again

#13 ·
Actually from Craigslist locally , paid $4150 for it . Two new tires and the bags went with it.
It has been setting for a while , gas is stale so I got sea foam for in that . Hopefully just running a couple tanks and it will clear it up some

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Candy apple red 2001 V92C
National cycle windshield
Victory Saddlebags w/locking quick detach mounts
Victory T-Bag on the sissy bar
Not sure what else has been done , just got it 11/20/12

#15 ·
Not yet but I will attempt . Tank is almost empty now anyway. Anything to know in particular about doing it?be careful of?

Candy apple red 2001 V92C
National cycle windshield
Victory Saddlebags w/locking quick detach mounts
Victory T-Bag on the sissy bar
Not sure what else has been done , just got it 11/20/12

#19 ·
Look up in your drive pulley for red dust in the housing. If even a small amount and you have not pulled the cover and verified the torque on the drive nut that may be your problem. First thing I thought of when you said screech and vibe.

Also, the 02s were first tranny upgrade but you would have probs with 2nd 3rd if I'm not mistaken. 03 came the freedom V92 update powerplant and tranny. I really hadn't heard a lot of 01 tranny's bad but I'm still fairly new. I have heard a lot more not having issues.

If u need help checking the pulley PM me

#21 ·
NP, like I said, if you find the dust it's a REALTIME indicator you have a loose drive nut which would explain your screech and vibe. Shouldnt have to pull the cover, I was able to easily look up with a good like and see it. If you need help, give a shoult...

Safe ridin, errr ah... Hunting.. lol...:D

#23 · (Edited)
Yup, that red dust is a tall tale sign the nut has backed off. I could actually get my finger up in there and move it..

In the service manual to retoruqe an 01 at 10K I believe, mine is 15K but I called BS on that... Not a hard task to handle at all. hardest part is finding the socket for the drive pulley. Can't remember the size but if you need to do this task will include in the procedures..

Yes, will stop the noise and also keep the pulley form coming off..:D I don't know how long it takes the dust to appear to the point the pulley slips off but lets not find out. Again, this may NOT be your problem but if you have 10K on the bike and it has not been done, its worth checking out. It would explain the sound and vibe.

#25 ·
Ok , couldn't see any dust , took cover off anyway and sure enough the nut is loose, but , it can't back off because it has a keeper ring attached to the drive pulley . So , although it is not tight it can't come off completely, cause it can only turn maybe an eighth of an inch either way till it hits the keeper ring.

That is a big ole nut , 1-7/8 is what it measures across .

How can you torque that without removing the exhaust , or do you have to?

#26 ·
Well don't let that blasted ring fool you into thinking it wont back off! Ask me how I know.. lol.. Let me just say, it is VERY possible with it installed correctly to back off to the point the pulley will slip. :D

Yes, I standard 3/4 drive 1 7/8 socket will fit that. I found it at Harbor Freight.

No, you do not have to remove the exhaust. Loosen the front and rear exhaust pipes from the cans (I actually removed the nuts). I don't remember what your bike looked like but I thought you had side pipes so that should enable you to move the pipes out/in to get the cover of. It's up to you if you loosed the rear axle to remove the pulley and inspect the splines. Remove the nut, clean the threads and reinstall using red locktite. Torque is in the owners manual, or should be. I reinstalled my coverplate MINUS the lower hex screw so I could easily pull it back off and reinspect. Let me know if you need anything else on this, still pretty fresh in the memory.

Tim

#27 ·
Thanks for the help Tim . My exhaust is stock back to the slip ons . I managed to get the cover off without loosening the exhaust . Took retainer ring off and took nut off with my fingers:( . I looked at sprocket and it doesn't appear to have moved in the least so I am just going to locktite the nut and re tighten . Don't have an owners manual . Gotta ask previous owner if he has it still , so don't know torque spec.

#28 ·
Im sure the pulley can't be too differnt. here is mine. Also including the link to polaris to create a user account and download the user manual PDF.

Tim

Inspect Drive Sprocket and Sprocket Nut
1. Remove the drive sprocket cover.
Notice On somemodels youmay have to remove portions of the exhaust systemto access all of the drive sprocket
cover screws (see the Victory Service Manual or an authorized Victory dealer).
2. Inspect drive sprocket and sprocket nut for wear or damage. Make sure the sprocket nut is tight.
3. If the sprocket nut is loose, remove the sprocket nut retainer screws and the retainer.
4. Remove the sprocket nut. Replace with a new sprocket nut if necessary.
5. Clean the output shaft threads and the sprocket nut threads.
6. Apply a few drops of Loctite Thread Locker #262 or equivalent to the output shaft threads.
7. Apply the rear brake and tighten the drive sprocket nut.
Torque: 125 ft-lbs (169 Nm)
8. Install the nut retainer and the retainer screws. Rotate the retainer plate clockwise and hold it against the nut
when retainer screws are tightened.
Torque: 85 in-lbs (10 Nm)
Notice The nut retainer can be installed inmany positions and on either side. If you cannot align the mounting
holes, tighten the sprocket nut slightly and install the nut retainer.

Polaris:
http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Vi...ctorymotorcycles.com/en-us/owners-manual.aspx

#30 ·
I had the same loose sprocket nut on my V92TC when I bought it this past spring. Beside using 262 (red) locktite on the nut,I also used one of the locktite retaining compounds (green - can't remember the number) on the splines between the shaft and pulley. Retaining compounds are designed to fill the space between parts such as where a bearing has wallowed out its housing. There was a fair amount of backlash from where the shaft had fretted away material from the pulley spline. My concern was that the nut only pulls the pulley onto the shaft. With increased backlash between the splines, it would be possible for alternating acceleration / deceleration to let the pulley begin to slip behind the nut - then it's back to square one again.

On a technical note, the red dust is the result of "fretting". Fretting occurs when two pieces of metal are able to move against each other while under pressure. Microscopic particles of metal are ripped from the surface and they quickly oxidize. Since the pulley is steel (iron) you are seeing tiny rust particles.

I've put about 3k miles on it since the fix and recently pulled the cover and that pulley is just a tight as new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#32 ·
I had the same loose sprocket nut on my V92TC when I bought it this past spring. Beside using 262 (red) locktite on the nut,I also used one of the locktite retaining compounds (green - can't remember the number) on the splines between the shaft and pulley. Retaining compounds are designed to fill the space between parts such as where a bearing has wallowed out its housing. There was a fair amount of backlash from where the shaft had fretted away material from the pulley spline. My concern was that the nut only pulls the pulley onto the shaft. With increased backlash between the splines, it would be possible for alternating acceleration / deceleration to let the pulley begin to slip behind the nut - then it's back to square one again.

On a technical note, the red dust is the result of "fretting". Fretting occurs when two pieces of metal are able to move against each other while under pressure. Microscopic particles of metal are ripped from the surface and they quickly oxidize. Since the pulley is steel (iron) you are seeing tiny rust particles.

I've put about 3k miles on it since the fix and recently pulled the cover and that pulley is just a tight as new.
Good info here MH1! Got to get that number for the "green' goop.. hehe Thanks for the addition! No one likes to worry bout a loose pulley.
thumb up

Looks like your about to be back up and running lawnstripper. I do hope that was the issue and that you get some weather to ride in to check it out...

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.